Posted to alt.home.repair

Default color vision and finding your car

On 09/01/2015 06:53 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
Would it help to bungee cord a contrasting colored
tarp over your vehicle, to make it stand out?

My current car is 'arrest me' red and that helps. The bikes are various
shades of black. I came out to the trailhead one evening after an
unplanned nighttime walk in the woods. And no, I didn't have a
flashlight. Nothing like trying to find a black bike in a big, black
clearing. There wasn't even enough light for a piece of chrome to reflect.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/1/2015 10:15 AM, rbowman wrote:
My current car is 'arrest me' red and that helps. The bikes are various
shades of black. I came out to the trailhead one evening after an
unplanned nighttime walk in the woods. And no, I didn't have a
flashlight. Nothing like trying to find a black bike in a big, black
clearing. There wasn't even enough light for a piece of chrome to reflect.

Did you have a match to light, or some other
light source? How'd it all work out for you?

Now days some cell phone have flashlight ap,
they make the smart screen white.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 1 Sep 2015 11:43:15 -0400, Stormin Mormon
wrote:

Now days some cell phone have flashlight ap,
they make the smart screen white.

A friend used his screen light to finish an AC condenser pad when it
got dark on him - turned out well.

I think the iPhone 6 (?) lets you turn on the camera flash to constant
light, much brighter, used as a flashlight.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 09/01/2015 09:43 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
Did you have a match to light, or some other
light source? How'd it all work out for you?

I eventually stumbled into it. These days my favorite zipper pull is a
Photon light. A rabbit's foot might be traditional but I never found a
use for one of those.

I'm a slow learner but I catch on eventually. After a few of those come
out of the woods by braille episodes I tend to have a number of
(non-leaking) batteries with me.

Actually, operating in the woods without artificial light is
interesting. Once you're adapted it isn't too bad. I've also deduced
from startling small animals and listening to them crash into things as
they flee that a lot of them can't see all that well in the dark either.

Then there's the camo problem. I came upon a varying hare (snowshoe
rabbit) on a full moon night in the fall. He was already into the white
phase and was sitting on a scree slope of black rocks. He might as well
have had a neon sign 'Eat Here'. A little further down the trail I saw
a great horned owl cruising around. I don't know if he and the hare met
up or not.