Posted to alt.home.repair
FTR FTR is offline

Default What To Do With My Wooden Deck

On Wednesday, August 26, 2015 at 11:36:17 AM UTC-4, Mayayana wrote:
I'd thin it a bit and put it on now. (Watch out for
the newer "thinner replacements". I have no idea
what they're actually made of, but they're clearly not
just thinner.)

I found this is Lowes - Jasco Slow-to-Dissolve Linseed Oil - http://www.jasco-help.com/product/boiled-linseed-oil1

Should I use this stuff or is the thinned down stuff you said to avoid?
Posted to alt.home.repair

| I found this is Lowes - Jasco Slow-to-Dissolve Linseed Oil -
http://www.jasco-help.com/product/boiled-linseed-oil1

| Should I use this stuff or is the thinned down stuff you said to avoid?

It just says boiled linseed oil, so that looks like
the right stuff. (The raw linseed oil takes a long
time to dry.) Then you add some thinner to that.
By itself the oil is very think and will gum up. To
make soak in and dry well it needs to be thinned
a bit. You can experiment to get it right. I like
to go for something that's still oily but also watery
enough to soak in.

It's the thinner "replacements" I'd avoid. I don't
actually know if they're a problem because I don't
know what's in them. I've just seen these products.
They claim to be better, less fumey thinner
replacements, but the labels don't indicate what's
actually in them. I accidentally bought one container
and ended up with a whitish liquid. It may or may not
work well to clean vrushes, but I don't dare use it
in paint because I don't know how it might affect
the end result. So you want something that's clearly
"paint thinner" and not "better paint thinner" or
anything else that implies a different product.