Posted to alt.home.repair

Default You should EARN your trophy

Isn't it terrible when they have some sport and every kid gets a trophy.
It teaches them all the wrong lessons.

James Harrison is by far not the first top point out this problem, and
he's right. "When he found out his sons were given such trophies, he
demanded that they be sent back. Harrison believes that a trophy should
be something you earn by being the best, not something you receive just
for trying."

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...tion-trophies/

'While I am very proud of my boys for everything they do and will
encourage them till the day I die, these trophies will be given back
until they EARN a real trophy. I知 sorry I知 not sorry for believing
that everything in life should be earned and I知 not about to raise two
boys to be men by making them believe that they are entitled to
something just because they tried their best...cause sometimes your best
is not enough, and that should drive you to want to do better...not cry
and whine until somebody gives you something to shut u up and keep you
happy"

And you know, he's right.

But who else does this?

Why it's the US Armed Forces.

United States service medals of the World Wars are U.S. military medals
which were created solely for recognizing service in the First World War
and World War II. (I've only explained a few of them, but others are
simlar.)

American Defense Service Medal
The medal was intended to recognize those military service members who
had served on active duty between September 8, 1939 and December 7,
1941.
Women's Army Corps Service Medal

Campaign medals
American Campaign Medal
European-African-Middle Eastern Campaign Medal
Asiatic-Pacific Campaign Medal

Occupation medals
Army of Occupation of Germany Medal
Army of Occupation Medal
Navy Occupation Service Medal
"Awarded to commemorate the services of Navy, Marine Corps and Coast
Guard personnel in the occupation of certain territories of the enemies
of the U.S. during World War II"[2] and recognized those personnel who
participated in the European and Asian occupation forces during, and
following World War II. The medal was also bestowed to personnel who
performed duty in West Berlin between 1945 and 1990.
Medal for Humane Action
The medal recognizes those military service members who performed
extended duty in support of the Berlin Airlift.

Victory medals
World War I Victory Medal
World War II Victory Medal
The medal was awarded to any member of the United States military,
including members of the armed forces of the Government of the
Philippine Islands, who served on active duty, or as a reservist,
between December 7, 1941 and December 31, 1946

Then there's the Korean Service Medal,
awarded for military service within territorial limits or service that
directly supported the military efforts in Korea.

And the Korea Defense Service Medal,
first created in 2002 when it was signed into law by President George W.
Bush, authorized for those members of the United States Armed Forces who
have served duty in South Korea after the signing of the Korean
Armistice Agreement in support of the defense of the Republic of Korea.
To qualify for the KDSM, a service member must have served at least
thirty consecutive days in the Korean theater. The medal is also granted
for 60 non-consecutive days of service which includes reservists on
annual training in Korea.

And of course the Good Conduct Medal, either Army, Navy, Marine
Corps, Air Force. or Coast Guard

The Good Conduct Medal is one of the oldest military awards of the
United States Armed Forces. The U.S. Navy's variant of the Good Conduct
Medal was established in 1869, the Marine Corps version in 1896, the
Coast Guard version in 1923, the Army version in 1941, and the Air Force
version in 1963; the Air Force Good Conduct Medal was discontinued from
February 2006 to February 2009.
The medal is awarded to any active-duty enlisted member of the
United States military who completes three consecutive years of
"honorable and faithful service".
During times of war, the Good Conduct Medal may be awarded for one
year of faithful service.

So even in 1869, sailors would get a medal just for showing good
conduct!

And I'm pretty sure I've left out some. If you don't have one you're
entitled to, go to webpages like
http://www.dmzwar.com/koreamedalcoldwarcert.html

In fact some say that when Jacob's 12 sons went off to summer camp, they
got trophies just for being on the archery team, even if they couldn't
shoot worth a darn. (FWIW, only 6 could go at one time because there
were chores to do at home.)

So I guess those yuppie parents who want their little darlings to get a
trophy just for showing up have a long string of examples to go by.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/24/15 3:28 PM, micky wrote:

[...]

The legendary Smedley Butler was proud of the 15 service medals he'd
earned but not of his two medals for valor, both being the Medal of
Honor. He tried to return them, saying he'd done nothing to earn them.
Medals for valor aren't earned.

Other generals kept General Butler out of WWI. He arrived after the
Armistice and found Marines sleeping literally in mud in winter.
Generals who love the public relations of distributing medals for valor
may well treat their troops that way. General Butler walked four miles
to a port, then four miles back up the hill carrying a board large
enough for a man to sleep on. He said there were others where that came
from. Thus these veterans did not die of sickness in the mud.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"micky" wrote in message ...
Isn't it terrible when they have some sport and every kid gets a trophy.
It teaches them all the wrong lessons.

No, you and that moron father are missing the point. The participated and get an award for participating -- not for finished 1st place. What happens if one of the others who participated never gets another award.

Too much emphasis on "winning" -- participating is the first step and should be encouraged.

STUPID FATHER in that case.

James Harrison is by far not the first top point out this problem, and
he's right. "When he found out his sons were given such trophies, he
demanded that they be sent back. Harrison believes that a trophy should
be something you earn by being the best, not something you receive just
for trying."

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...tion-trophies/

'While I am very proud of my boys for everything they do and will
encourage them till the day I die, these trophies will be given back
until they EARN a real trophy. I'm sorry I'm not sorry for believing
that everything in life should be earned and I'm not about to raise two
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Mon, 24 Aug 2015 22:39:26 -0400, J Burns
wrote:

On 8/24/15 3:28 PM, micky wrote:

[...]

With a name like Smedley Butler, I wasn't sure if you were serious, but
he was real.. Both his father and his mother's father were congressmen!

Smedley is the kind of first name that was once a family name, usually
on the mother's side. But even his grandather had a first name of
Smedley, so that distinguished ancestor would have been farther back
than him.

earned but not of his two medals for valor, both being the Medal of
Honor. He tried to return them, saying he'd done nothing to earn them.
Medals for valor aren't earned.

Other generals kept General Butler out of WWI. He arrived after the
Armistice and found Marines sleeping literally in mud in winter.
Generals who love the public relations of distributing medals for valor
may well treat their troops that way. General Butler walked four miles
to a port, then four miles back up the hill carrying a board large
enough for a man to sleep on. He said there were others where that came
from. Thus these veterans did not die of sickness in the mud.

He wrote a book called _War is a racket_ IIRC, "is a racket" was a
phrase my mother or older brother used a lot. It's less popular now.
Scam is the word used now, I guess. Is that related to scheme?

There's a lot more to read about General Butler but I wanted to post
now.

BTW, I'm not against these service medals, and of course there are big
differences between army service and children's baseball. for example,
but I didn't see the parallels either until a few days ago. Since I
don't have kids, I don't have to decide how I feel about their trophies
and details matter. I suspect I'm not against trophies for everyone if
the words that go with them are honest, make sense, don't try to convey
something false or stupid. And that not every team or competition does
this.

The only trophy I got during public school days was Most Improved, in
bowling, and I figured I was most improved since I started knowing
nothing, and I did pretty well by the end of the year in the league. I
don't remember much of a cermony if any at all, but I think maybe there
were 5 trophies given to 4 or 5 of the 12 or 24 boys. . Best team
record (2 of those), best score, best season average, mine, and maybe
one or two others.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Oren" wrote in message ...

On Mon, 24 Aug 2015 23:30:37 -0700, Don Y
wrote:

On 8/24/2015 11:14 PM, Snuffy "Hub Cap" McKinney wrote:
Please label this off-topic stuff "OT."

Please learn to trim the superfluous stuff from your replies!

....and earn a participation trophy, asshole!

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 8/24/2015 11:14 PM, Snuffy "Hub Cap" McKinney wrote:
Please label this off-topic stuff "OT."

Please learn to trim the superfluous stuff from your replies!

...and earn a participation trophy, asshole!

This post is a forgery. I have a troll. she wants to be like me. I'm
being imitated but can never by duplicated.

See Headers:

Posted to alt.home.repair

"micky" wrote in message ...

In alt.home.repair, on Mon, 24 Aug 2015 23:14:39 -0700, "Snuffy \"Hub
Cap\" McKinney" wrote:

Please label this off-topic stuff "OT."

Yes, I usually do. Sorry.

You'll be a lot sorrier if you do it again.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Cap\" McKinney" wrote:

Please label this off-topic stuff "OT."

Yes, I usually do. Sorry.

You'll be a lot sorrier if you do it again.

Forgery. This ass-hat wants to be like me, but he/she/it/Eunuch can't
figure it out.

From: "Oren"
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Tue, 25 Aug 2015 10:44:12 -0700

wrote:

On 8/24/2015 11:14 PM, Snuffy "Hub Cap" McKinney wrote:
Please label this off-topic stuff "OT."

Please learn to trim the superfluous stuff from your replies!

...and earn a participation trophy, asshole!

That eternal september server is very vicious and I had problems until I
just blocked it everywhere.

--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair

Oren posted for all of us...

From: "Oren"
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Tue, 25 Aug 2015 10:44:12 -0700

wrote:

On 8/24/2015 11:14 PM, Snuffy "Hub Cap" McKinney wrote:
Please label this off-topic stuff "OT."

Please learn to trim the superfluous stuff from your replies!

...and earn a participation trophy, asshole!

That eternal september server is very vicious and I had problems until I
just blocked it everywhere.

So you blocked me? aioe.org, my admirer is the one you can filter.
The fake Oren wants to be like me. As a I said; often imitated but
never duplicated. The mold was broken.

Aioe is run by tyrants, not worthy of a reply from the trolls. Go
ahead if you like.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Oren wrote:
On Thu, 27 Aug 2015 16:54:24 -0400, Tekkieョ

Oren posted for all of us...

"Oren" wrote in message

...and earn a participation trophy, asshole!

That eternal september server is very vicious and I had problems
until I just blocked it everywhere.

So you blocked me? aioe.org, my admirer is the one you can filter.
The fake Oren wants to be like me. As a I said; often imitated but
never duplicated. The mold was broken.

Aioe is run by tyrants, not worthy of a reply from the trolls. Go
ahead if you like.

As about as the same result reporting spam to google
Seems as though a lot of people are having a hard time understanding things
these daysshrug.
i can't believe some of the people that have been sucked into the
crossposting trolls

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/27/15 4:54 PM, Tekkieョ wrote:

That eternal september server is very vicious and I had problems until I
just blocked it everywhere.

I wish I could block it. Can I do it with Thunderbird?