DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Walter Palmer (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/383651-re-walter-palmer.html)

(PeteCresswell) July 30th 15 04:30 PM

Walter Palmer

Per Tony Hwang:
Boycott him so he can't kill any more animals.

I'm confused about the guy.

I find network news too moronic to watch unless there is no avoiding it,
so don't really know much about him or what he did.

But what I have come away with so far is:

- He gets off on shooting large animals.

- He paid big bucks to go to Africa, hire a licensed guide
to take him to where he could shoot one of those
large animals.

- He shot a large animal.

- It turned out to be a poor choice of animals.

That being true (or is it ?... somebody correct me)
wouldn't the fault lie with the guide, who should have known
that this particular animal was not a politically-correct target?
--
Pete Cresswell

taxed and spent July 30th 15 04:40 PM

Walter Palmer

"(PeteCresswell)" wrote in message
Per Tony Hwang:
Boycott him so he can't kill any more animals.

I'm confused about the guy.

I find network news too moronic to watch unless there is no avoiding it,
so don't really know much about him or what he did.

But what I have come away with so far is:

- He gets off on shooting large animals.

- He paid big bucks to go to Africa, hire a licensed guide
to take him to where he could shoot one of those
large animals.

- He shot a large animal.

- It turned out to be a poor choice of animals.

That being true (or is it ?... somebody correct me)
wouldn't the fault lie with the guide, who should have known
that this particular animal was not a politically-correct target?
--
Pete Cresswell

Yes, of course you are right. And people forget that animals need to be
culled, and big bucks paid go to the government for habitat/refuge
maintenance, etc.

Kurt Ullman July 30th 15 05:35 PM

Walter Palmer

In article ,
"(PeteCresswell)" wrote:

Per Tony Hwang:
Boycott him so he can't kill any more animals.

I'm confused about the guy.

I find network news too moronic to watch unless there is no avoiding it,
so don't really know much about him or what he did.

But what I have come away with so far is:

- He gets off on shooting large animals.

- He paid big bucks to go to Africa, hire a licensed guide
to take him to where he could shoot one of those
large animals.

- He shot a large animal.

- It turned out to be a poor choice of animals.

That being true (or is it ?... somebody correct me)
wouldn't the fault lie with the guide, who should have known
that this particular animal was not a politically-correct target?

Basically with some extra circumstances. It appears as though he
bribed the guide, the lion was supposedly lured outside of the protected
area that was his usual habitat, and he was after this one specifically
bcause of its fame.
but what they conceal is vital."
-- Aaron Levenstein

Tony Hwang July 30th 15 06:13 PM

Walter Palmer

taxed and spent wrote:
[...]

Yes, cull is necessary under certain instances, this particular lion is
never a candidate. He was research subject for years to maintain
good family of lions with strong gene. After tracking him down and
killed him they beheaded, skinned him, tried to destroy GPS collar he
was wearing. They planned it which is criminal act. Right now my
daughter is in Tanzania, on a safari to admire and enjoy majestic
animals of all kinds. You shoot them with camera not with cross bow or
guns. I just received an email from her with a picture of Cheetah she
took in the night. She said the animal was just 3 feet away looking at
her. In Tanzania cross bow hunting is illegal.

(PeteCresswell) July 30th 15 06:42 PM

Walter Palmer

Per Kurt Ullman:

Basically with some extra circumstances. It appears as though he
bribed the guide, the lion was supposedly lured outside of the protected
area that was his usual habitat, and he was after this one specifically
bcause of its fame.

Then, IMHO, he gets promoted from garden-variety asshole to flaming
asshole.

I have to wonder if he beats off to the picture of him and the carcass.
--
Pete Cresswell

Frank[_23_] July 30th 15 08:56 PM

Walter Palmer

On 7/30/2015 11:30 AM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:
Per Tony Hwang:
Boycott him so he can't kill any more animals.

I'm confused about the guy.

I find network news too moronic to watch unless there is no avoiding it,
so don't really know much about him or what he did.

But what I have come away with so far is:

- He gets off on shooting large animals.

- He paid big bucks to go to Africa, hire a licensed guide
to take him to where he could shoot one of those
large animals.

- He shot a large animal.

- It turned out to be a poor choice of animals.

That being true (or is it ?... somebody correct me)
wouldn't the fault lie with the guide, who should have known
that this particular animal was not a politically-correct target?

I tend to blame the guide but baiting is legal and I do not know how far
they went to bait that particular lion or any other lion or how far
they range.

Everything, like it or not, may have been on the up and up. I like to
hunt myself but am not in favor of canned hunts.

Also understand that in such a hunt, if you wound the animal, that is
counted as a kill on your permit so you do what ever necessary to find
and dispatch the wounded animal.

Muggles July 30th 15 09:09 PM

Walter Palmer

On 7/30/2015 10:30 AM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:
Per Tony Hwang:
Boycott him so he can't kill any more animals.

I'm confused about the guy.

I find network news too moronic to watch unless there is no avoiding it,
so don't really know much about him or what he did.

But what I have come away with so far is:

- He gets off on shooting large animals.

- He paid big bucks to go to Africa, hire a licensed guide
to take him to where he could shoot one of those
large animals.

- He shot a large animal.

- It turned out to be a poor choice of animals.

That being true (or is it ?... somebody correct me)
wouldn't the fault lie with the guide, who should have known
that this particular animal was not a politically-correct target?

I agree with you.

--
Maggie

Ed Pawlowski July 30th 15 11:52 PM

Walter Palmer

On 7/30/2015 4:09 PM, Muggles wrote:

- He paid big bucks to go to Africa, hire a licensed guide
to take him to where he could shoot one of those
large animals.

- He shot a large animal.

- It turned out to be a poor choice of animals.

That being true (or is it ?... somebody correct me)
wouldn't the fault lie with the guide, who should have known
that this particular animal was not a politically-correct target?

I agree with you.

The guide is at least partly at fault, but we don't know details. Did
the guy suggest this situation to Palmer? Was he paid to choose this
particular animal?

In poor countries people will do most anything if well paid/bribed.

Muggles July 31st 15 04:58 AM

Walter Palmer

On 7/30/2015 5:52 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 7/30/2015 4:09 PM, Muggles wrote:

- He paid big bucks to go to Africa, hire a licensed guide
to take him to where he could shoot one of those
large animals.

- He shot a large animal.

- It turned out to be a poor choice of animals.

That being true (or is it ?... somebody correct me)
wouldn't the fault lie with the guide, who should have known
that this particular animal was not a politically-correct target?

I agree with you.

The guide is at least partly at fault, but we don't know details. Did
the guy suggest this situation to Palmer? Was he paid to choose this
particular animal?

In poor countries people will do most anything if well paid/bribed.

Even if that's true, it's just one lion. I think there are worse things
a person could do.

--
Maggie

dadiOH[_3_] July 31st 15 11:23 AM

Walter Palmer

Muggles wrote:
On 7/30/2015 5:52 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 7/30/2015 4:09 PM, Muggles wrote:

- He paid big bucks to go to Africa, hire a licensed guide
to take him to where he could shoot one of those
large animals.

- He shot a large animal.

- It turned out to be a poor choice of animals.

That being true (or is it ?... somebody correct me)
wouldn't the fault lie with the guide, who should have known
that this particular animal was not a politically-correct target?

I agree with you.

The guide is at least partly at fault, but we don't know details.
Did the guy suggest this situation to Palmer? Was he paid to choose
this particular animal?

In poor countries people will do most anything if well paid/bribed.

Even if that's true, it's just one lion. I think there are worse
things a person could do.

Would you think the same thing if it had been the LAST lion?

SeaNymph July 31st 15 01:09 PM

Walter Palmer

On 7/30/2015 10:58 PM, Muggles wrote:
On 7/30/2015 5:52 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 7/30/2015 4:09 PM, Muggles wrote:

- He paid big bucks to go to Africa, hire a licensed guide
to take him to where he could shoot one of those
large animals.

- He shot a large animal.

- It turned out to be a poor choice of animals.

That being true (or is it ?... somebody correct me)
wouldn't the fault lie with the guide, who should have known
that this particular animal was not a politically-correct target?

I agree with you.

The guide is at least partly at fault, but we don't know details. Did
the guy suggest this situation to Palmer? Was he paid to choose this
particular animal?

In poor countries people will do most anything if well paid/bribed.

Even if that's true, it's just one lion. I think there are worse things
a person could do.

I think it was a travesty and an illegal hunt. I believe the guy knew
exactly what he was doing. Seems he was more concerned about killing a
lion than the possible implications of his actions. I think the guy
should be prosecuted, but I just don't believe it's worth all the hoopla
going on. I've never seen this kind of outrage about more babies aborted
than born in NYC.

Ed Pawlowski July 31st 15 01:32 PM

Walter Palmer

On 7/30/2015 11:58 PM, Muggles wrote:

In poor countries people will do most anything if well paid/bribed.

Even if that's true, it's just one lion. I think there are worse things
a person could do.

Yes, just one lion. I heard on the news that in the 1940's there were
about 450,000 lions in Africa, just 20,000 now. Oh, 19,999. Sorry Cecil.

How about elephants and Rhinos being poached for their tusks? Do you
think it is OK to kill an elephant, saw off the tusks and just let it
rot? Its just one. Today.

Last night for dinner I had a big pork chop and I had a chicken egg for
breakfast. Hunting for food is OK, but this guy just wants to hang a
lion head on the wall so he can look at it and masturbate.

Stormin Mormon[_10_] July 31st 15 02:03 PM

Walter Palmer and poachers

On 7/31/2015 8:32 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Yes, just one lion. I heard on the news that in the 1940's there were
about 450,000 lions in Africa, just 20,000 now. Oh, 19,999. Sorry Cecil.

I've not tried to find it on the web. But I remember
on Rush's show, Dr. Walter Williams commented on this
concept. Some animal they outlawed hunting, so the
poachers went wild, and wiped out the game population.

As such, it's better to manage hunting with permits,
rather than outlaw hunting completely.

--
..
Christopher A. Young

Tony Hwang July 31st 15 03:31 PM

Walter Palmer

SeaNymph wrote:
[...]

I believe he has been doing questionable hunt for long time and now this
may be last hunt for him. He is definitely unethical. I shoot lots
of animals big and small with camera, not with arrows or guns. Is he
man enough to take the consequences? Or just chicken **** coward?

Tony Hwang July 31st 15 03:35 PM

Walter Palmer and poachers

Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 7/31/2015 8:32 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Yes, just one lion. I heard on the news that in the 1940's there were
about 450,000 lions in Africa, just 20,000 now. Oh, 19,999. Sorry
Cecil.

I've not tried to find it on the web. But I remember
on Rush's show, Dr. Walter Williams commented on this
concept. Some animal they outlawed hunting, so the
poachers went wild, and wiped out the game population.

As such, it's better to manage hunting with permits,
rather than outlaw hunting completely.

Northern white Rhino, only one left dying from old age. Protected
by armed soldiers. Now they start dyeing elephant tusks to render it
useless for poachers. Damn, Chinese(tiger bone, elephant tusks),
Japanese(whale meat, turtle shell) killing all this animals...

trader_4 July 31st 15 04:20 PM

Walter Palmer

On Thursday, July 30, 2015 at 11:58:08 PM UTC-4, Muggles wrote:
[...]

Murder is usually considered worse than say rape. Would you say
that there are worse things a person can do in defense of a rapist?

trader_4 July 31st 15 04:24 PM

Walter Palmer

On Friday, July 31, 2015 at 8:22:01 AM UTC-4, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 7/30/2015 11:58 PM, Muggles wrote:

In poor countries people will do most anything if well paid/bribed.

Even if that's true, it's just one lion. I think there are worse things
a person could do.

Yes, just one lion. I heard on the news that in the 1940's there were
about 450,000 lions in Africa, just 20,000 now. Oh, 19,999. Sorry Cecil.

How about elephants and Rhinos being poached for their tusks? Do you
think it is OK to kill an elephant, saw off the tusks and just let it
rot? Its just one. Today.

Last night for dinner I had a big pork chop and I had a chicken egg for
breakfast. Hunting for food is OK, but this guy just wants to hang a
lion head on the wall so he can look at it and masturbate.

+1

He and similar are definitely sickos. I hope he gets everything
he deserves. Already, it's likely working. Hopefully the sudden
demise of his practice will mean it will be harder to afford the
$50K it costs to kill an exotic animal.

trader_4 July 31st 15 04:26 PM

Walter Palmer and poachers

On Friday, July 31, 2015 at 9:03:37 AM UTC-4, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 7/31/2015 8:32 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Yes, just one lion. I heard on the news that in the 1940's there were
about 450,000 lions in Africa, just 20,000 now. Oh, 19,999. Sorry Cecil.

I've not tried to find it on the web. But I remember
on Rush's show, Dr. Walter Williams commented on this
concept. Some animal they outlawed hunting, so the
poachers went wild, and wiped out the game population.

And the poachers, who just don't give a damn, wouldn't
be poaching anyway, with or without legal hunting?

As such, it's better to manage hunting with permits,
rather than outlaw hunting completely.

I suppose if we made it legal to kill bald eagles, it
would have helped them survive? Good grief.

Frank[_23_] July 31st 15 07:18 PM

Walter Palmer

On 7/31/2015 8:32 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 7/30/2015 11:58 PM, Muggles wrote:

In poor countries people will do most anything if well paid/bribed.

Even if that's true, it's just one lion. I think there are worse things
a person could do.

Yes, just one lion. I heard on the news that in the 1940's there were
about 450,000 lions in Africa, just 20,000 now. Oh, 19,999. Sorry Cecil.

How about elephants and Rhinos being poached for their tusks? Do you
think it is OK to kill an elephant, saw off the tusks and just let it
rot? Its just one. Today.

Last night for dinner I had a big pork chop and I had a chicken egg for
breakfast. Hunting for food is OK, but this guy just wants to hang a
lion head on the wall so he can look at it and masturbate.

In the trophy hunts, meat most likely goes to others, probably the
native workers.

I see lion tastes somewhere between beef and chicken:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...n_3309355.html

There is a hunting show on the Outdoor Channel called "Meateater"

http://themeateater.com/

This guys crazy. Watched him eat coyote. He had a bout of trichinosis
from eating under cooked bear meat.

Uncle Monster[_2_] July 31st 15 08:15 PM

Walter Palmer

On Friday, July 31, 2015 at 10:24:22 AM UTC-5, trader_4 wrote:
[...]

Gosh, another wacko who believes someone is guilty until proven innocent. Let's have a lynching and destroy the fellow who may be innocent of a crime. Lets hurt his family and all those people who worked for his dental practice, we all know that a fraking wild animal is more important than any human being. The people of Zimbabwe are wondering WTF is wrong with Americans who don't care that their villages are being destroyed and people killed by lions and elephants but go crazy when one lion is killed. I'd like to see a counter strike against those who are threatening the dentist. I'd like to see hunters come to his aid and surround his building with their guns and warn off the wack jobs threatening him, his family and employees. What would be even more fun would be to start a tour to the plains of Africa for lion huggers. Hey everyone, show your love for Cecil the lion by traveling to Africa with us so we can cuddle with his cubs and female lions to tell them how sorry you are that their daddy lion was brutally murdered. The Dumbassification Of America is alive and well. O_o

https://i.imgur.com/CDws5Eh.jpg

[8~{} Uncle Wild Monster

John Albert July 31st 15 09:57 PM

Walter Palmer

On 7/31/15 11:24 AM, trader_4 wrote:
Hopefully the sudden
demise of his practice will mean it will be harder to afford the
$50K it costs to kill an exotic animal.

Makes me think that if he wants to work as a dentist again, he'd
probably best move far away and change his name...

trader_4 July 31st 15 10:32 PM

Walter Palmer

On Friday, July 31, 2015 at 3:16:01 PM UTC-4, Uncle Monster wrote:
[...]

No one is lynching him. And I don't care if he's guilty of a crime
or not. He deserves to be ostracized, criticized and shamed for
what he did, whether it's specifically a crime or not. That goes
for anyone that wants to go to Africa and pay money to shoot a
dwindling, endangered species so they can cut off it's head and put
it on a wall. And yes, to pay $50K to do that to a beautiful,
magnificent creature that most of the civilized world is doing
everything possible to save, is sick. Very sick.

Lets hurt his family and all those people who worked for his dental practice, we all know that a fraking wild animal is more important than any human being.

All those people? Presumably has a small dental staff. They are
skilled people and he's not the only dentist in the area or the world.
It's Palmer who caused this, not the people reacting to it.

The people of Zimbabwe are wondering WTF is wrong with Americans who don't care that their villages are being destroyed and people killed by lions and elephants but go crazy when one lion is killed.

Where is your evidence of that? I've seen plenty of people in Z on
the news that area outraged at what this scum did. And who says that
Americans don't care about their villages? America and Americans have
given billions in aid to Africa.

I'd like to see a counter strike against those who are threatening the dentist.

Note that you're the one calling for a "counter strike", which sounds
like a threat to me. No one should be threatening to physically harm
the scum. But if all his patients will no longer do business with him,
and children want to put up signs and leave stuffed animals outside
his office, that's fine with me and well within the law.

I'd like to see hunters come to his aid and surround his building with their guns and warn off the wack jobs threatening him, his family and employees.

Again, *you're* the one apparently seeking to turn this into
an armed confrontation.

What would be even more fun would be to start a tour to the plains of Africa for lion huggers. Hey everyone, show your love for Cecil the lion by traveling to Africa with us so we can cuddle with his cubs and female lions to tell them how sorry you are that their daddy lion was brutally murdered. The Dumbassification Of America is alive and well. O_o

It sure is.

Uncle Monster[_2_] July 31st 15 10:59 PM

Walter Palmer

On Friday, July 31, 2015 at 4:32:14 PM UTC-5, trader_4 wrote:
[...]

And you keep proving it. I find it funny that people spout ridiculousness then take the same sort of response as so serious and horrid. The great majority of Americans have never given a hot steaming chunk of feces about the wildlife of Africa before now and they still don't give a frak about the PEOPLE of Africa. So I must ask, how much money have you ever contributed to the conservation of African wildlife or wildlife anywhere in the world? Has the plight of African lions ever crossed your mind before this male bovine droppings about the poor defenseless Cecil the lion splashed across every news feed in America? The fraking crocodile tears are drowning me. OK, how much money are you sending in to,"The Avenge Cecil The Lion Fund"? All the newly minted hysterical lion huggers have got to be the most idiotic and bizarre bunch of fools to pop into existence in a very long time. O_o

[8~{} Uncle Horrible Monster

trader_4 July 31st 15 11:30 PM

Walter Palmer

On Friday, July 31, 2015 at 5:59:51 PM UTC-4, Uncle Monster wrote:
[...]

Is this the new standard now? That unless one contributed to something
in the past, one can't express outrage over it? Must I have contributed
to Syrian causes before I can express outrage over ISIS? To Ukranian
and Danish causes before I can express outrage over Putin invading
the Ukraine and the shooting down of MH17?

As for proving it, IDK what track you're on. All I said was that
I hope Palmer gets everything that's coming to him and that I'm
happy that his customers all deserted him and he's shut down. If
I was a customer, I'd leave too. And if kids want to put stuffed
animals outside his closed offices, I say more power to them. If
Z wants him extradicted, I hope the US hands him over. I'd note
that *you're* the one that specifically called for people taking up
arms and going over to his office. Not me. I'm just disgusted that
anyone is sick enough to go shoot a dwindling species, let alone an
animal lured out of a wildlife refuge, just so they can have it's head.

Muggles August 1st 15 12:32 AM

Walter Palmer

On 7/31/2015 5:23 AM, dadiOH wrote:
Muggles wrote:
[...]

I'd think it would be a sad loss, but at that point, what would be the
point in fretting about it? The world is full of sad losses. I'm an
animal lover, and if it were up to me paid hunts of big game would be
illegal unless there were a need to thin a herd or people needed food.

--
Maggie

Muggles August 1st 15 05:53 AM

Walter Palmer

On 7/31/2015 7:32 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 7/30/2015 11:58 PM, Muggles wrote:

In poor countries people will do most anything if well paid/bribed.

Even if that's true, it's just one lion. I think there are worse things
a person could do.

Yes, just one lion. I heard on the news that in the 1940's there were
about 450,000 lions in Africa, just 20,000 now. Oh, 19,999. Sorry Cecil.

How about elephants and Rhinos being poached for their tusks? Do you
think it is OK to kill an elephant, saw off the tusks and just let it
rot? Its just one. Today.

Last night for dinner I had a big pork chop and I had a chicken egg for
breakfast. Hunting for food is OK, but this guy just wants to hang a
lion head on the wall so he can look at it and masturbate.

I don't personally understand the need to hunt for sport, but some
people like doing it. Why? I don't know, but if it's legal me feeling
sorry for one lion that's killed on a legal hunt changes nothing.

--
Maggie

Muggles August 1st 15 05:55 AM

Walter Palmer

On 7/31/2015 10:20 AM, trader_4 wrote:
[...]

I don't understand your comparison.

--
Maggie

Muggles August 1st 15 05:57 AM

Walter Palmer

On 7/31/2015 10:24 AM, trader_4 wrote:
[...]

The man didn't kill a human, molest anyone, or even do anything worthy
of prison. He killed an old lion. He shouldn't have his practice or
his life ruined over a cat.

--
Maggie

Muggles August 1st 15 06:03 AM

Walter Palmer

On 7/31/2015 4:32 PM, trader_4 wrote:
[...]

Molesting children is sick, very sick. Going to hunt for big game and
killing the animal for sport isn't sick. It's been a sport for a long
time. Just because the sport isn't as popular as it used to be doesn't
mean that people who hunt for sport are sick. I may not want to hunt
for sport myself, but I'm not going to label people as being sick
because they like to hunt big game, either.

--
Maggie

Ed Pawlowski August 1st 15 06:35 AM

Walter Palmer

On 8/1/2015 12:53 AM, Muggles wrote:

I don't personally understand the need to hunt for sport, but some
people like doing it. Why? I don't know, but if it's legal me feeling
sorry for one lion that's killed on a legal hunt changes nothing.

Problem here is the particular lion. It was closer to dragging a puppy
out of a cage to shoot, not a rel hunt, stalking animals in the jungle.

If it was a legit shot in the wild, we'd never hear about it.

Muggles August 1st 15 06:41 AM

Walter Palmer

On 8/1/2015 12:35 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 8/1/2015 12:53 AM, Muggles wrote:

I don't personally understand the need to hunt for sport, but some
people like doing it. Why? I don't know, but if it's legal me feeling
sorry for one lion that's killed on a legal hunt changes nothing.

Problem here is the particular lion. It was closer to dragging a puppy
out of a cage to shoot, not a rel hunt, stalking animals in the jungle.

If it was a legit shot in the wild, we'd never hear about it.

Isn't any animal a hunter goes after stalked and baited in some way? I
don't see how doing that with a lion is any different.

--
Maggie

FrozenNorth[_8_] August 1st 15 06:50 AM

Walter Palmer

On 8/1/2015 1:35 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 8/1/2015 12:53 AM, Muggles wrote:

I don't personally understand the need to hunt for sport, but some
people like doing it. Why? I don't know, but if it's legal me feeling
sorry for one lion that's killed on a legal hunt changes nothing.

Problem here is the particular lion. It was closer to dragging a puppy
out of a cage to shoot, not a rel hunt, stalking animals in the jungle.

If it was a legit shot in the wild, we'd never hear about it.

Not to mention that this lion was wearing a tracking collar and was
lured out of a game preserve of some sort. Apparently it is illegal to
shoot/kill animals with tracking collars from what I have read.

--
Froz...

Quando omni flunkus, moritati

trader_4 August 1st 15 01:21 PM

Walter Palmer

On Saturday, August 1, 2015 at 12:53:18 AM UTC-4, Muggles wrote:
[...]

By all indications, it wasn't a legal hunt. And the scum was
fined for doing another blatant illegal hunt in WI where he illegally
shot a bear, then moved it 30 miles to a location where the hunt
would have been legal. What this ******* did is like paying
$50K to shoot a lion at the Bronx zoo.

trader_4 August 1st 15 01:23 PM

Walter Palmer

On Saturday, August 1, 2015 at 12:57:18 AM UTC-4, Muggles wrote:
[...]

Try sticking to the facts. It wasn't an old, sick lion. It was
a perfectly healthy lion and the star attraction of the wildlife
refuge. Screw him and his practice. His patients are free to make
their own choices and they voted with their feet. I would have done
exactly the same thing. I don't want to be supporting what he is
doing. Where do you think the $50K came from? This guy, IMO, is a sicko.

trader_4 August 1st 15 01:34 PM

Walter Palmer

On Saturday, August 1, 2015 at 1:03:16 AM UTC-4, Muggles wrote:
[...]

Why do you have to compare it to molesting children? Throwing
rocks through a little old lady's windows or just hurling
profanities at her in the street is sick too.

Going to hunt for big game and
killing the animal for sport isn't sick.

Yes it is, when the numbers today are a tiny fraction of
what they were 100 years, 50 years, or even 20 years ago.
Almost all the world is doing everything they can to protect
and preserve the remaining places these animals still can live.
Do you live in a cave?

It's been a sport for a long
time.

They used to through human waste out in the street for a very
long time too. They used to dump trash anywhere, pour untreated
sewage into rivers. We managed to nearly drive the buffalo to
extinction, the bald eagles too, and have driven many species
extinct. Most of us wised up though, so we no longer do those
things, just because they were done for a long time.

Just because the sport isn't as popular as it used to be doesn't
mean that people who hunt for sport are sick. I may not want to hunt
for sport myself, but I'm not going to label people as being sick
because they like to hunt big game, either.

Did you even follow the story? This wasn't a sport. The scum
paid "guides" $50K to have the lion lured off a wildlife reserve
where it was protected. It was the feature attraction of the
reserve, one of the few with a black mane and tracking collar.
They lured it by dragging bait behind a truck to an adjacent farm,
where the scum shot it with a bow and arrow. The lion survived
another 40 hours, in pain and agony, while they tracked it down
to then shoot it. That is "sport" to you? Good grief. Might as
well pay the Bronx Zoo to shoot one there.

Ed Pawlowski August 1st 15 04:31 PM

Walter Palmer

On 8/1/2015 1:41 AM, Muggles wrote:
On 8/1/2015 12:35 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 8/1/2015 12:53 AM, Muggles wrote:

I don't personally understand the need to hunt for sport, but some
people like doing it. Why? I don't know, but if it's legal me feeling
sorry for one lion that's killed on a legal hunt changes nothing.

Problem here is the particular lion. It was closer to dragging a puppy
out of a cage to shoot, not a rel hunt, stalking animals in the jungle.

If it was a legit shot in the wild, we'd never hear about it.

Isn't any animal a hunter goes after stalked and baited in some way? I
don't see how doing that with a lion is any different.

Except this was not a jungle miles from nowhere. It was lured from a
game preserve where it was studied by a university.

Ever fish in the ocean? It is different that fishing in an aquarium at
the pet store.

Muggles August 1st 15 04:34 PM

Walter Palmer

On 8/1/2015 7:21 AM, trader_4 wrote:
[...]

If it wasn't a legal hunt, then he should be fined, or whatever the
punishment would normally be under the law for something like that, but
he shouldn't be punished beyond that, imo, as in, harassed, hated, run
out of business as a dentist, etc.

People do things against the laws on the books all the time. If he goes
to killing humans I think that's much more worth investing personal
outrage than killing one lion or even a bear.

I think people are just jumping on the bandwagon because it sounds like
a politically correct cause to get outraged about. Then again I've
never been one to be all that politically correct, either.

--
Maggie

Muggles August 1st 15 04:48 PM

Walter Palmer

On 8/1/2015 7:23 AM, trader_4 wrote:
[...]

So? It's dead now. It's a big cat, and cats re-produce. The dead cat
is gone. It isn't a human being, and other cats can take it's place in
the wild. Life is hard and if it hadn't been that particular hunter to
kill that particular cat some other hunter would probably kill a
different cat. It's still not a human being. I'm just not outraged
about the loss of a lion. If he'd killed a human being on a human being
hunt you'd see me get upset about that.

Screw him and his practice. His patients are free to make
their own choices and they voted with their feet.

Sure. Ruin a mans livelihood because he kills a cat. That's what a
lion is, it's a big cat. People can be worse than animals when it comes
to how they judge their fellow human beings. Go for blood against the
human being because a wild cat was killed just doesn't sound right to
me. If he did something illegal, then the law should apply. But, human
beings sometimes just aren't happy with the laws punishments and can
become some of the most cruel and viscous animals on the planet. What
people do to that man by trying to ruin him over a lion kill is worse
than him actually killing a lion.

I would have done exactly the same thing.

I've no issue with people making their own minds up.

I don't want to be supporting what he is
doing. Where do you think the $50K came from? This guy, IMO, is a sicko.

I don't like the idea of big game hunting myself, either, but if the guy
was my dentist and did a good job for a decent price, he'd still be my
dentist because I'd judge him based on his services, and whether or not
I liked the man or not. I wouldn't reject him just because he was a big
game hunter.

--
Maggie

trader_4 August 1st 15 04:52 PM

Walter Palmer

On Saturday, August 1, 2015 at 11:34:08 AM UTC-4, Muggles wrote:
[...]

He ran himself out of business because his patients, like most of us,
are disgusted by what he did and don't want to continue to put money
in his pockets so he can go kill more animals at $50K a pop. You
do believe people have that right, don't you?

People do things against the laws on the books all the time. If he goes
to killing humans I think that's much more worth investing personal
outrage than killing one lion or even a bear.

And so if it's less than murder, we should just ignore it?
And it has to be something illegal? Seems things like abortion,
which is legal, gets a lot of people invested in outrage. Or
how about gay marriage? I see plenty of people investing personal
outrage in that, and they aren't gay, aren't getting married to
a gay person, etc. There are even people here with their shorts
in a knot over MSFT and Win 10.

I think people are just jumping on the bandwagon because it sounds like
a politically correct cause to get outraged about. Then again I've
never been one to be all that politically correct, either.

--
Maggie

I think people are outraged because what he did is despicable.
I can think for myself and that's my conclusion from the moment
I first heard about it.

Muggles August 1st 15 05:15 PM

Walter Palmer

On 8/1/2015 7:34 AM, trader_4 wrote:
[...]

Because if I'm going to consider the idea of calling someone 'sick, very
sick', I have a standard of what that person has to do before I'll put
that sort of label on them. Sick behavior is on a different level than
behavior that involves killing a lion on a hunt. The man isn't sick
because he killed a lion.

If he broke a law I still can't call him sick because just about
everyone breaks laws who never get caught and they aren't labeled as
being sick, so, imo, sick behavior begins and is defined by such things
as molesting children. THAT's sick, very sick.

Killing a lion on a hunt isn't sick behavior. It's behavior of a person
who engages in big game hunting. If killing a lion on a big game hunt
is sick behavior than that would also mean the majority of big game
hunters are sick, too.

Going to hunt for big game and
killing the animal for sport isn't sick.

Yes it is, when the numbers today are a tiny fraction of
what they were 100 years, 50 years, or even 20 years ago.

That is your opinion defined by and based in statistics. Just because
the number of lions is lower it doesn't mean a person who kills a lion
on a big game hunt is sick.

Almost all the world is doing everything they can to protect
and preserve the remaining places these animals still can live.
Do you live in a cave?

I'm aware that people want to save and protect animals because I'm an
animal lover, but I'm also a human lover even more. I'm not judge and
jury, and I'm not willing to condemn the dentist and ruin him over him
killing a lion on a big game hunt. I wasn't there, and I don't know all
the facts. If he did something illegal he should take the punishment,
but I'm not his punisher. He doesn't deserve to lose his livelihood or
to be judged so harshly when none of us is squeaky clean. He didn't
kill a human, and even people who do kill humans aren't necessarily
judged as harshly as he's being judged now for killing a lion.

It's been a sport for a long time.

They used to through human waste out in the street for a very
long time too. They used to dump trash anywhere, pour untreated
sewage into rivers. We managed to nearly drive the buffalo to
extinction, the bald eagles too, and have driven many species
extinct. Most of us wised up though, so we no longer do those
things, just because they were done for a long time.

It's good to change, but that doesn't mean all change is good. Frankly,
I don't understand big game hunters.

Just because the sport isn't as popular as it used to be doesn't
mean that people who hunt for sport are sick. I may not want to hunt
for sport myself, but I'm not going to label people as being sick
because they like to hunt big game, either.

Did you even follow the story? This wasn't a sport. The scum
paid "guides" $50K to have the lion lured off a wildlife reserve
where it was protected.

People pay guides to go fishing, or to go hunting for all sorts of other
animals, set traps, and try to lure their prey into the traps as a
normal practice. IMO, that isn't cause for judging the man.

If you're going to be outraged over normal hunting practices you should
also be outraged by hunters of all flavors, too.

It was the feature attraction of the
reserve, one of the few with a black mane and tracking collar.

I saw a photograph of the lion and couldn't see any tracking collar on
the animal. It could have been hidden by the lions mane, or more
visible from a different angle. If a protected animal strays from it's
protected sanctuary, then it's no longer protect.

They lured it by dragging bait behind a truck to an adjacent farm,
where the scum shot it with a bow and arrow.

So? There are many bow hunters, and hunters bait their prey. That's
part of normal hunting practices as far as I'm aware.

The lion survived
another 40 hours, in pain and agony, while they tracked it down
to then shoot it. That is "sport" to you? Good grief. Might as
well pay the Bronx Zoo to shoot one there.

That's what bow hunters do when they shoot dear. They have to hunt the
animal down because often it can keep running on sheer adrenaline before
it drops, and then it can live for a while after that, too.

I understand how you feel because I'm not a hunter and I think it's
cruel to bow hunt like that, but bow hunting is a well accepted practice
and has been for a long time.

--
Maggie