Posted to alt.home.repair

Default what caulk would you use for your for shower wall?

Hi All,

I am painting the sheet rock above my shower wall. It
is time to caulk the seams.

What waterproof, low emission (a must) caulk would
you use? It must be low or no emission.

Many thanks,
-T
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/21/2015 2:30 AM, T wrote:
Hi All,

I am painting the sheet rock above my shower wall. It
is time to caulk the seams.

What waterproof, low emission (a must) caulk would
you use? It must be low or no emission.

Many thanks,
-T

I used drywall compound.
Posted to alt.home.repair

| I am painting the sheet rock above my shower wall. It
| is time to caulk the seams.
|
| What waterproof, low emission (a must) caulk would
| you use? It must be low or no emission.

I've never heard of emission ratings for caulking.
I wouldn't know how to find out. But it seems to
me that most caulks have a noticeable smell until
they're cured. Perhaps you're talking about fumes
after curing? Even when covered with paint?

I use Phenoseal for most things, and especially
for painting work. I also use it in showers. Acrylic
and siliconized acrylic are thinner and weaker.
Silicone if iffy for painting and supports mildew.

More important to my mind would be to use an
oil-base paint over the shower. Sherwin Williams
satin alkyd Pro Classic is the best I currently
know of. But it is stinky!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 07/21/2015 05:21 AM, Mayayana wrote:
| I am painting the sheet rock above my shower wall. It
| is time to caulk the seams.
|
| What waterproof, low emission (a must) caulk would
| you use? It must be low or no emission.

I've never heard of emission ratings for caulking.
I wouldn't know how to find out.

http://www.afmsafecoat.com/products.php?page=6
But it is only "water resistant".

No orders after drying is a must. Before
drying is highly desirable.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"T" wrote in message ...

On 07/21/2015 05:21 AM, Mayayana wrote:
| I am painting the sheet rock above my shower wall. It
| is time to caulk the seams.
|
| What waterproof, low emission (a must) caulk would
| you use? It must be low or no emission.

I've never heard of emission ratings for caulking.
I wouldn't know how to find out.

http://www.afmsafecoat.com/products.php?page=6
But it is only "water resistant".

No orders after drying is a must. Before
drying is highly desirable.

Is that like yer brain being knowledge resistant, little mixed up feller?
LOL

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 07/20/2015 11:30 PM, T wrote:
Hi All,

I am painting the sheet rock above my shower wall. It
is time to caulk the seams.

What waterproof, low emission (a must) caulk would
you use? It must be low or no emission.

Many thanks,
-T

What do you guys think of

Kelly-Moore Paints KM Professional Elastomeric Acrylic 1114?

http://kellymoore.com/products/details/1114

http://kellymoore.com/docs/default-s...aster&sfvrsn=0

-T
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 20 Jul 2015 23:30:53 -0700, T wrote:

Hi All,

I am painting the sheet rock above my shower wall. It
is time to caulk the seams.

What waterproof, low emission (a must) caulk would
you use? It must be low or no emission.

Many thanks,
-T

I would use clear Acrylic Latex caulk. It remains flexible when cured
and is pain table. (door trim, baseboards, bathrooms, drywall cracks,
inside/outside, etc.)

Check the DAP web site.

IMO

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 21 Jul 2015 11:50:17 -0700, T wrote:

What do you guys think of

Kelly-Moore Paints KM Professional Elastomeric Acrylic 1114?

http://kellymoore.com/products/details/1114

http://kellymoore.com/docs/default-s...aster&sfvrsn=0

Never used Elastomeric caulk, I do use Elastomeric paint on my
exterior stucco . I'd guess the caulk cost more than Acrylic Latex.

I'd not rule it out since I haven't used it

Check http://www.dap.com/product_subcategories.aspx?catid=1
Posted to alt.home.repair

| I've never heard of emission ratings for caulking.
| I wouldn't know how to find out.
|

| http://www.afmsafecoat.com/products.php?page=6
| But it is only "water resistant".

The spec sheet doesn't say much. It contains
"poly ether isomer" and amino silane:

"Avoid prolonged contact
with skin. In case of contact with eyes, immediately flush
with water. Uncured caulk can irritate eyes."

Sounds like fumes to me. That company looks
to me like they're focussing their marketing on
"natural", but with no real justification. They offer
no explanation, other than some homey talk on their
About Us page. Their "spec sheets" are merely
directions. They provide no explanation of why they
use the particular chemicals they do. I would expect
extensive explanation and evidence to back up their
claims.
As far as I can see, there is no reason other than
their natural "theme" to think their products are notably
safer than others. (And I don't need to remind you
that there are such things as all natural granola with
reall sugar and "canola oil and/or palmseed oil and/or
hydrogenated soy oil", which basically means "we
made this stuff out of whatever was cheapest down
at the docks today".

Why is this so important? Do you have some
kind of hyperallergic condition or sensitivity
to latex? (The phenoseal that I use is
described as "vinyl adhesive caulking", but
I really don't know anything about the possible
toxicity of either class of chemicals -- latex or
vinyl.) If you have health problems from caulking
it's hard to imagine how you can hope to remodel
your bathroom, given all the other chemicals
involved. (The fiberglass in the drywall and
compound might well be among the most dangerous,
yet I've never seen any gov't or trade entity warn
about that. Many people cover themselves daily
with fiberglass-containing joint compound dust.)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 07/22/2015 06:18 AM, Mayayana wrote:
| I've never heard of emission ratings for caulking.
| I wouldn't know how to find out.
|

| http://www.afmsafecoat.com/products.php?page=6
| But it is only "water resistant".

The spec sheet doesn't say much. It contains
"poly ether isomer" and amino silane:

"Avoid prolonged contact
with skin. In case of contact with eyes, immediately flush
with water. Uncured caulk can irritate eyes."

Sounds like fumes to me. That company looks
to me like they're focussing their marketing on
"natural", but with no real justification. They offer
no explanation, other than some homey talk on their
About Us page. Their "spec sheets" are merely
directions. They provide no explanation of why they
use the particular chemicals they do. I would expect
extensive explanation and evidence to back up their
claims.
As far as I can see, there is no reason other than
their natural "theme" to think their products are notably
safer than others. (And I don't need to remind you
that there are such things as all natural granola with
reall sugar and "canola oil and/or palmseed oil and/or
hydrogenated soy oil", which basically means "we
made this stuff out of whatever was cheapest down
at the docks today".

Why is this so important? Do you have some
kind of hyperallergic condition or sensitivity
to latex? (The phenoseal that I use is
described as "vinyl adhesive caulking", but
I really don't know anything about the possible
toxicity of either class of chemicals -- latex or
vinyl.) If you have health problems from caulking
it's hard to imagine how you can hope to remodel
your bathroom, given all the other chemicals
involved. (The fiberglass in the drywall and
compound might well be among the most dangerous,
yet I've never seen any gov't or trade entity warn
about that. Many people cover themselves daily
with fiberglass-containing joint compound dust.)

A family member is chemically sensitive. There
won't be a problem after it cures. It is the
fumes from the curing that is a problem.

I wonder if all those warning are just for the Lawyers
or are they real.

Grout Vs Caulk at corner of shower floor/wall HelpMe[_2_] Home Repair 13 July 25th 16 03:22 PM
Caulk around shower? emars Home Repair 0 June 24th 06 03:03 PM
Grout or Caulk in shower? Richard Home Repair 4 August 28th 05 12:47 PM
3 wall- Stud wall shower enclosure/ recess shower? anon UK diy 3 April 22nd 05 02:27 AM
Shower door caulk Blue Home Repair 8 February 20th 05 07:07 AM