DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Appliance industry warns.... (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/383501-appliance-industry-warns.html)

Muggles July 25th 15 04:38 PM

Appliance industry warns....

On 7/25/2015 8:30 AM, bob haller wrote:
On Friday, July 24, 2015 at 2:29:15 PM UTC-4, Muggles wrote:
On 7/24/2015 1:06 PM, J Burns wrote:
On 7/23/15 1:55 AM, Robert Green wrote:
"J Burns" wrote in message

stuff snipped

A paper towel costs 150 times more than a sheet of toilet paper. It's
harder to rip off the roll with one hand, and paper towels fill a waste
basket in a hurry . . .
I'm going to find me a pecan stick so I can use a couple of pieces of
wire to hang a toilet paper roll. Then I'll have a state-of-the-art
toilet-paper-and-borax kitchen.

I mounted a toilet paper roll inside a kitchen cabinet door for the same
reason: Keeping as much grease as possible from going into the drain.
Cheaper than paper towels, that's for sure.

Yeah, toilet tissue picks up grease better than water, and it takes up
very little space in the waste basket. Maybe I could sell those wads to
start charcoal fires!

I've been keeping a sprayer with borax by the sink a couple of months,
dispensing it several times a day. Last night I saw my first roach in a
long time. It was on the dining-room carpet. Their speed can be
frustrating for a hunter without a shotgun, so I got my sprayer and
turned the nozzle to squirt.

Borax won't hurt a carpet. It will kill a bug before long, but the
immediate effect is uncertain. It made him so slow that stepping on him
felt unsporting.

I have this stubborn calcium deposit stuck to my toilet bowl, and I've
tried everything I can find off the store shelves that I'd normally
clean it with and nothing seems to work. I actually got some of it to
chip off, but it's a pain to even get that to come off. Is there
anything safe I can use that'll dissolve the calcium deposits that isn't
a nasty acid of some sort?

--
Maggie

muriatic acid isnt nearly as hazardous as some believe.

pour some down the dip tube to clean the bowl rim

dip tube? hmmm I tried to google that part on a toilet and got all
sorts of pictures. Is that the round vertical pipe that has water
trickling into it when it's flushed?

--
Maggie

Muggles July 25th 15 04:39 PM

Appliance industry warns.... calcium deposits need acids

On 7/25/2015 9:13 AM, Oren wrote:
On Fri, 24 Jul 2015 19:36:38 -0500, Muggles wrote:

The calcium deposit is below the water
line. I don't see any above the water line at all.

You can remove water from the bowl down to just above the calcium
deposit and then pour in the CLR. I'd give plenty of time to work and
dissolve the spot, This, at the same time, ought to clean any calcium
on the bottom.

ok... is there a max amount of time to leave it there? I don't want to
damage anything by leaving it too long.

--
Maggie

Edmund J. Burke[_2_] July 25th 15 04:39 PM

Appliance industry warns....

"Cindy Hamilton" wrote in message

On Thursday, July 23, 2015 at 2:03:51 AM UTC-4, Robert Green wrote:

I guess I am old-fashioned but if trimming the HW temperature a few
degrees
saves some little kids from death or horrible maiming, my choice would be
protect the kids and elderly who in many cases are unable to protect
themselves.

If I don't have any children or elderly in my house,
why shouldn't I set the water heater wherever I like?

Cindy Hamilton

I bet I could get yer water hot, Cindy.
*I've always been partial to Cindy girls; I get real erotic images in my
head.

Oren[_2_] July 25th 15 05:06 PM

Appliance industry warns....

On Sat, 25 Jul 2015 10:38:17 -0500, Muggles wrote:

muriatic acid isnt nearly as hazardous as some believe.

pour some down the dip tube to clean the bowl rim

dip tube? hmmm I tried to google that part on a toilet and got all
sorts of pictures. Is that the round vertical pipe that has water
trickling into it when it's flushed?

Yes. Use a funnel if you do it.

Technically called the Overflow Tube (prevents the tank from
overfilling)

Click Flush button on this page for animation.

http://home.howstuffworks.com/toilet1.htm

Oren[_2_] July 25th 15 05:10 PM

On Sat, 25 Jul 2015 10:39:33 -0500, Muggles wrote:

On 7/25/2015 9:13 AM, Oren wrote:
On Fri, 24 Jul 2015 19:36:38 -0500, Muggles wrote:

The calcium deposit is below the water
line. I don't see any above the water line at all.

You can remove water from the bowl down to just above the calcium
deposit and then pour in the CLR. I'd give plenty of time to work and
dissolve the spot, This, at the same time, ought to clean any calcium
on the bottom.

ok... is there a max amount of time to leave it there? I don't want to
damage anything by leaving it too long.

shrugs If it removes the calcium, I'd say that was long enough.
Read the CLR label. I've left muriatic acid in for a long while when
cleaning the bowl rim jets.

Oren[_2_] July 25th 15 05:15 PM

Appliance industry warns....

On Fri, 24 Jul 2015 23:38:00 -0400, J Burns
wrote:

I wonder if it's possible to check the whole "windpipe" (most of it
invisible and above the water line), to assure smooth passage of
precious cargo. I also wonder if the whole windpipe in a cheap toilet is
glazed.

If it isn't glazed, the siphon passage ("windpipe") would it be
porous and be subject to bacteria contamination??

Stormin Mormon[_10_] July 25th 15 05:18 PM

Appliance industry warns.... use CLR for calcium, lime, and rust

On 7/25/2015 11:33 AM, Muggles wrote:
On 7/25/2015 8:15 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

And for those of us reading, please let us know
if the stuff works for you. Always nice to hear
from real people about real world experience.

I sure will post the results. It'll be this afternoon before I get to
the store, though, so I'll probably try the product later today.

It's been a few years since I did toilet calcium
scale removal. I remember using a turkey baster to
remove the water, pour some CLR in, and then go to
bed. Give it over night to work.

--
..
Christopher A. Young

Muggles July 25th 15 06:27 PM

Appliance industry warns....

On 7/25/2015 11:06 AM, Oren wrote:
On Sat, 25 Jul 2015 10:38:17 -0500, Muggles wrote:

muriatic acid isnt nearly as hazardous as some believe.

pour some down the dip tube to clean the bowl rim

dip tube? hmmm I tried to google that part on a toilet and got all
sorts of pictures. Is that the round vertical pipe that has water
trickling into it when it's flushed?

Yes. Use a funnel if you do it.

Technically called the Overflow Tube (prevents the tank from
overfilling)

Click Flush button on this page for animation.

http://home.howstuffworks.com/toilet1.htm

ahh That's a nice animation. Thanks.

--
Maggie

bob haller July 25th 15 07:00 PM

Appliance industry warns....

"J Burns" wrote in message

[...]

yes, it leads to the interior bowl rim where the water comes out to make the flush. when they get clogged the flush tends to just swirl around, and solids dont go down:(

muractic acid isnt a problem. open windows, turn on bath fan if you have one, wear safety glasses..

i intentionally put muriatic acid on my arm, it was a bit warm, and after a couple minutes i washed it off.

couldnt tell anything had occured

fear of acids is overblown.

although always dd acid to water, adding water to acid can cause splashing

Muggles July 25th 15 07:08 PM

Appliance industry warns....

"J Burns" wrote in message

[...]

What does 'dd acid to water' mean? "dd"? I'm not a plumber so ... lol

--
Maggie

FrozenNorth[_8_] July 25th 15 07:36 PM

Appliance industry warns....

"J Burns" wrote in message

[...]

Might just be a type for "add"

--
Froz...

Quando omni flunkus, moritati

Uncle Monster[_2_] July 25th 15 08:25 PM

Appliance industry warns....

On Saturday, July 25, 2015 at 11:06:21 AM UTC-5, Oren wrote:
On Sat, 25 Jul 2015 10:38:17 -0500, Muggles wrote:

muriatic acid isnt nearly as hazardous as some believe.

pour some down the dip tube to clean the bowl rim

dip tube? hmmm I tried to google that part on a toilet and got all
sorts of pictures. Is that the round vertical pipe that has water
trickling into it when it's flushed?

Yes. Use a funnel if you do it.

Technically called the Overflow Tube (prevents the tank from
overfilling)

Click Flush button on this page for animation.

http://home.howstuffworks.com/toilet1.htm

It's a good animation but not exact. It showed the poopy water level in the trap falling at the same time as the water in the bowl, that's not exactly how it works. There is a video on YouTube that has a better example of how a human fecal waste disposal unit operates. ^_^

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4woMFz7g5hg

[8~{} Uncle Poop Monster

Oren[_2_] July 25th 15 08:47 PM

Appliance industry warns....

On Sat, 25 Jul 2015 12:25:30 -0700 (PDT), Uncle Monster
wrote:

[...]

Not much difference in your video and the animation. Crap still goes
out, down the poop shoot. Just described a bit different.

The siphon jets start the vortex swirl. Old crapper rim jets (round)
had water drop straight down into the bowl. Modern crappers have
"tear drop" rim jets which starts the swirl from the top (circular) -
further assisting the jet at the bottom of the bowl and cleaning walls
of the bowl. I know ****.

Oren[_2_] July 25th 15 09:20 PM

On 7/25/2015 9:13 AM, Oren wrote:
On Fri, 24 Jul 2015 19:36:38 -0500, Muggles wrote:

The calcium deposit is below the water
line. I don't see any above the water line at all.

You can remove water from the bowl down to just above the calcium
deposit and then pour in the CLR. I'd give plenty of time to work and
dissolve the spot, This, at the same time, ought to clean any calcium
on the bottom.

ok... is there a max amount of time to leave it there? I don't want to
damage anything by leaving it too long.

shrugs If it removes the calcium, I'd say that was long enough.
Read the CLR label. I've left muriatic acid in for a long while when
cleaning the bowl rim jets.

ok

Muriatic acid is a concern for you. Do this. Get three containers of
CLR. Remove all the water (most of it) down to the siphon jet. Pour
one jug into the bowl. Remove the tank top, with a funnel inserted
into the overflow tube (vertical tube), pour the other two down the
funnel. Leave it alone for hours to clean rim jets, siphon jets and
bowl. Tell me what you see. Flush.

Muriatic acid would do it much faster using less than a gallon. I
gave the link before. Or. Instead of CLR try this from Home Depot or
hardware stores.

http://zepcommercial.com/product/Acid-Toilet-Bowl-Cleaner

Uncle Monster[_2_] July 25th 15 09:32 PM

Appliance industry warns....

wrote:

[...]

You don't know Jack Schitt! ^_^

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XuRwis3_iVk

[8~{} Uncle Schitt Monster

Muggles July 25th 15 09:50 PM

Appliance industry warns....

On 7/25/2015 2:25 PM, Uncle Monster wrote:
[...]

Nice video and it explains it very well, too. Thanks!

--
Maggie

Muggles July 25th 15 09:51 PM

Appliance industry warns....

wrote:

[...]

hahaha someone finally had to say it!

--
Maggie

Oren[_2_] July 25th 15 09:52 PM

Appliance industry warns....

Go Fornicate Under Consent of The King - ****

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FvPbxZmZxZ8

Muggles July 25th 15 09:57 PM

On 7/25/2015 9:13 AM, Oren wrote:
[...]

hmmm I took a photo of it so I'd have it when I go to Lowes the next
time. I just got back from the store and bought the small container of
CLR, but I only bought one. I'll try this one and see how it works. I
can always go back and get more or go to Lowes if this doesn't do the
job. Thanks for the link!

--
Maggie

Stormin Mormon[_10_] July 25th 15 10:00 PM

Appliance industry warns....

"J Burns" wrote in message

[...]

You'd need to be a chemist, not a plumber. The expression
is "add" acid to the water, never the reverse. In the case
of sulphuric acid, it's possible (when adding water to
acid) that the water will float over the top of the heavier
sulphric acid, and not mix properly. Other things go wrong,
also.

--
..
Christopher A. Young

Stormin Mormon[_10_] July 25th 15 10:01 PM

Appliance industry warns....

On 7/25/2015 2:36 PM, FrozenNorth wrote:
On 7/25/2015 2:08 PM, Muggles wrote:
although always dd acid to water, adding water to acid can cause
splashing

What does 'dd acid to water' mean? "dd"? I'm not a plumber so ... lol

Might just be a type for "add"

Yours is a typo for "typo".

Love those comic moments.

--
..
Christopher A. Young

Oren[_2_] July 25th 15 10:03 PM

Appliance industry warns....

wrote:

[...]

Heck. My last boat had a sticker: Don't like my driving? Call
1-800-Eat-****.

Muggles July 25th 15 10:20 PM

Appliance industry warns....

"J Burns" wrote in message

[...]

ok I'll make sure I add the acid to the water and not the other way around.

--
Maggie

Muggles July 25th 15 10:21 PM

Appliance industry warns....

wrote:

[...]

ewwwwwww lol

--
Maggie

FrozenNorth[_8_] July 25th 15 10:23 PM

Appliance industry warns....

On 7/25/2015 5:01 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 7/25/2015 2:36 PM, FrozenNorth wrote:
On 7/25/2015 2:08 PM, Muggles wrote:
although always dd acid to water, adding water to acid can cause
splashing

What does 'dd acid to water' mean? "dd"? I'm not a plumber so ... lol

Might just be a type for "add"

Yours is a typo for "typo".

Love those comic moments.

I hate when I do that. :-)

Oren[_2_] July 25th 15 10:24 PM

On Sat, 25 Jul 2015 15:57:16 -0500, Muggles wrote:

[...]

Back to full circle. Keep buying products, as I said before, or use
muriactic acid as Bob Haller and I have said before. The sky won't
fall.

Youtube is full of stupid actors giving some wrong advice. Spending
money, unnecessarily.

FrozenNorth[_8_] July 25th 15 10:26 PM

On 7/25/2015 9:13 AM, Oren wrote:
[...]

Most grocery stores, at least around here, also carry CLR with the rest
of the household cleansers.

Oren[_2_] July 25th 15 10:36 PM

Appliance industry warns....

On Sat, 25 Jul 2015 15:50:15 -0500, Muggles wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4woMFz7g5hg

[8~{} Uncle Poop Monster

Nice video and it explains it very well, too. Thanks!

Yes. But it doesn't explain removal of mineral deposits or skid marks.

Muggles July 25th 15 11:01 PM

On 7/25/2015 4:24 PM, Oren wrote:
[...]

I guess if the CLR doesn't work (which is what I actually could find
right now) I'll look for some muriatic acid. I'm not sure where they
sell it, but I may be able to find it at a Lowes, too.

--
Maggie

Oren[_2_] July 25th 15 11:15 PM

Appliance industry warns....

On Sat, 25 Jul 2015 13:08:44 -0500, Muggles wrote:

although always dd acid to water, adding water to acid can cause splashing

What does 'dd acid to water' mean? "dd"? I'm not a plumber so ... lol

I try to tell folks to speak American. My Swamp Billy translation is
add acid to water and not water to acid.

http://s3media.247sports.com/Uploads/Assets/656/463/463656.jpeg

Muggles July 25th 15 11:27 PM

Appliance industry warns....

On 7/25/2015 5:15 PM, Oren wrote:
On Sat, 25 Jul 2015 13:08:44 -0500, Muggles wrote:

although always dd acid to water, adding water to acid can cause splashing

What does 'dd acid to water' mean? "dd"? I'm not a plumber so ... lol

I try to tell folks to speak American. My Swamp Billy translation is
add acid to water and not water to acid.

http://s3media.247sports.com/Uploads/Assets/656/463/463656.jpeg

"Swamp Billy"!! That's hysterical! I should have figured 'dd' was a
typo, but with all the shop talk here I wasn't sure if it was short for
'double dose acid to water' or something else.

--
Maggie

bob haller July 26th 15 12:49 AM

On Saturday, July 25, 2015 at 6:01:08 PM UTC-4, Muggles wrote:
On 7/25/2015 4:24 PM, Oren wrote:
[...]

clr is far more expensive and not as effective as muratic acid....

Oren[_2_] July 26th 15 01:06 AM

Appliance industry warns.... calcium deposits need acids

On 7/25/2015 4:24 PM, Oren wrote:
[...]

Bob, ever feel like you and I are preaching to the choir? At least we
both know what works. Some people are afraid of the dark. Let 'em keep
spending money on miracle products :)

Muggles July 26th 15 02:07 AM

On 7/25/2015 4:24 PM, Oren wrote:
[...]

ok well, I just poured about half the clr container into the bowl and
let it soak for a few hours so far. It looks like about 90% of the
calcium is gone now. I'll let it soak a while longer and check it
again. The container I bought was only about $5, so it's not a big loss
if it doesn't get every spot. I'll get some of the muriatic acid
tomorrow if I can get to a Lowes, and then give that a go. Thanks for
the info.

--
Maggie

Muggles July 26th 15 02:10 AM

On 7/25/2015 4:24 PM, Oren wrote:
[...]

At this point I was willing to try what was available at the grocery
store. I tend to be a little timid when it comes to things like using
acid. I don't doubt you guys know this stuff better than I do.

--
Maggie

Stormin Mormon[_10_] July 26th 15 03:02 AM

Appliance industry warns.... dd acid to water

On 7/25/2015 5:20 PM, Muggles wrote:
On 7/25/2015 4:00 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
although always dd acid to water, adding water to acid can cause
splashing

What does 'dd acid to water' mean? "dd"? I'm not a plumber so ... lol

You'd need to be a chemist, not a plumber. The expression
is "add" acid to the water, never the reverse. In the case
of sulphuric acid, it's possible (when adding water to
acid) that the water will float over the top of the heavier
sulphric acid, and not mix properly. Other things go wrong,
also.

ok I'll make sure I add the acid to the water and not the other way around.

I vaguely remember a film in chemistry class of
doing it wrong. The mix got hot, and blew acid
and water every which what way.

Yep, film. 16 MM with sound.

Fortunately, in the toilet example there is water
in the bowl, and adding acid to water, correctly
so. If there is some acid left, a flush down the
drain has enough swirling and stirring action that
it's a non issue.

--
..
Christopher A. Young

Stormin Mormon[_10_] July 26th 15 03:03 AM

Appliance industry warns....

On 7/25/2015 5:23 PM, FrozenNorth wrote:
On 7/25/2015 5:01 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 7/25/2015 2:36 PM, FrozenNorth wrote:
On 7/25/2015 2:08 PM, Muggles wrote:
What does 'dd acid to water' mean? "dd"? I'm not a plumber so ... lol

Might just be a type for "add"

Yours is a typo for "typo".

Love those comic moments.

I hate when I do that. :-)

I've dome that enough time, I get over it.

--
..
Christopher A. Young