DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Where can I get boot leather for my wife's boot heel? (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/383298-where-can-i-get-boot-leather-my-wifes-boot-heel.html)

micky July 9th 15 05:42 AM

Where can I get boot leather for my wife's boot heel?

On Thu, 9 Jul 2015 04:03:46 +0000 (UTC), HerHusband
wrote:

Micky,

a dental supply company online sold me just one bag of 100
little rubber bands for a couple dollars and shippping was
only a couple dollars.

mine were only reading glasses from the dollar store.

Are you saying you spent FOUR dollars to fix glasses you paid ONE dollar
for? :)

There are multiple pairs of glasses, The rubber bands extend their
life from 2 months to 4 months or so.

Plus sun glasses and safety glasses.

Anthony Watson
www.mountainsoftware.com
www.watsondiy.com

Karlheinz Fenstermacher July 9th 15 08:16 AM

Where can I get boot leather for my wife's boot heel?

On Wed, 08 Jul 2015 04:16:22 +0000, HerHusband wrote:

For example, something like replacing tires on automobile wheels. Yeah, I
could buy the tools and do it myself, but it's faster and cheaper to pay
the shop to do it. I only need to do it once every few years, so it
doesn't make sense to do it myself. It's one of the rare things I pay
others to do.

The tire-changing tool costs about $100 or so.
Each tire (out here) costs about $20 to change at the shop.
So, after one full set of tires, the tool has paid for itself.

That's not a bad return for your money for a tool.

Karlheinz Fenstermacher July 9th 15 08:18 AM

Where can I get boot leather for my wife's boot heel?

On Wed, 08 Jul 2015 01:48:28 -0400, micky wrote:

LOL. I can relate to that. In college I "fixed" an electric
percolator, by buying the missing parts, even though I think it cost
more than a new percolator and even though I don't drink coffee.

I once "fixed" an alternator by re-winding the coils.

That's one job I'll never do again, but, how many of you can say
you've done it?

Karlheinz Fenstermacher July 9th 15 08:29 AM

Where can I get boot leather for my wife's boot heel?

On Wed, 08 Jul 2015 13:19:50 -0500, Muggles wrote:

I bought some shoe goo to fix my favorite shoes where they were
separating from the soles. Worked like a charm, and I got about another
years worth of wear out of them.

I often shoo goo the rubber soles of work or hiking boots back,
and that works great.

Karlheinz Fenstermacher July 9th 15 08:30 AM

Where can I get boot leather for my wife's boot heel?

On Wed, 08 Jul 2015 07:46:47 -0400, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Wonder if Liquid Nails project adhesive would do?

I think gorilla glue dries too hard, sneakers
need to be flexible.

Shoe goo works fine on sneakers, in my experience.

Karlheinz Fenstermacher July 9th 15 08:33 AM

Where can I get boot leather for my wife's boot heel?

On Wed, 08 Jul 2015 07:42:51 -0400, Stormin Mormon wrote:

The one time I took item to cobbler was a tool
pouch that the threads came loose. He did a great
job, and the tool pouch is still in use. Well worth
the money.

I had bought a pair of Bostonians from Nordstroms, and then
within a year or so the cushion under the pad below your
feet but above the sole "sawed" its way through the front
of the shoe.

So, I took the shoes to a cobbler and was shocked when the
bill came in for the repair and swore I'd never go to a
cobbler again. Just wasn't worth it for a $200 shoe.

Then, I bought a new pair at Nordstroms. Same thing
happened.

I went back, about a year later, to buy a new pair and
when I mentioned that I did NOT want Bostonians, the
floor salesperson said they would have replaced them
for free.

Karlheinz Fenstermacher July 9th 15 08:34 AM

Where can I get boot leather for my wife's boot heel?

On Wed, 08 Jul 2015 15:21:38 +0000, HerHusband wrote:

Now that I'm getting older, I am finding it harder/less enjoyable to do
some simple tasks like changing the oil in my car.

The day you start taking an oil change to a shop is the day
you probably should leave this group. :)

You don't know what they do with the car. Just watch them some day,
and you'll never want YOUR car in their shop, ever.

micky July 9th 15 08:51 AM

Where can I get boot leather for my wife's boot heel?

On Thu, 9 Jul 2015 07:18:14 +0000 (UTC), Karlheinz Fenstermacher
wrote:

On Wed, 08 Jul 2015 01:48:28 -0400, micky wrote:

LOL. I can relate to that. In college I "fixed" an electric
percolator, by buying the missing parts, even though I think it cost
more than a new percolator and even though I don't drink coffee.

I once "fixed" an alternator by re-winding the coils.

That's one job I'll never do again, but, how many of you can say
you've done it?

Not me, but I fixed an Erector Set motor by rewinding its coil. A
friend gave it to me, not working. Of course, i had no money to buy
new wire, so when I unwound it, and it broke into four pieces for every
loop, it scraped the enamel off every end and twisted it together and
wound it all back up. I think the mistake I made was wrapping that in
electric tape, the black cloth electricians tape, instead of in plain
cloth. I turned on motor and it worked, but after a while it started
smoking. The adhesive I think. If I'd used plain cloth it might have
worked well.

micky July 9th 15 08:54 AM

Where can I get boot leather for my wife's boot heel?

On Thu, 9 Jul 2015 07:34:33 +0000 (UTC), Karlheinz Fenstermacher
wrote:

On Wed, 08 Jul 2015 15:21:38 +0000, HerHusband wrote:

Now that I'm getting older, I am finding it harder/less enjoyable to do
some simple tasks like changing the oil in my car.

The day you start taking an oil change to a shop is the day
you probably should leave this group. :)

My friend of 20 years, a girlfriend for a while 20 years ago, each time
I mention getting a ladder to clean my 2nd story gutters, tells me I
should pay someone. That's the only thing that makes her say that.

She read about or new someone in town who fell off the ladder and hurt
hismef bad.

Should I listen to her.

micky July 9th 15 09:00 AM

Where can I get boot leather for my wife's boot heel?

On Thu, 9 Jul 2015 07:16:31 +0000 (UTC), Karlheinz Fenstermacher
wrote:

On Wed, 08 Jul 2015 04:16:22 +0000, HerHusband wrote:

For example, something like replacing tires on automobile wheels. Yeah, I
could buy the tools and do it myself, but it's faster and cheaper to pay
the shop to do it. I only need to do it once every few years, so it
doesn't make sense to do it myself. It's one of the rare things I pay
others to do.

The tire-changing tool costs about $100 or so.

That's a manual tool. A lot of work. and I'm not convinced it's safe
from hitting oneself with the tire iron or pinching somewhere. Some
times the guy can barely remove or replace the tire with a pneumatic
tool.

Each tire (out here) costs about $20 to change at the shop.
So, after one full set of tires, the tool has paid for itself.

Why would I change s full set of tires. That means I have to shop by
mail, find some place to take the old tires.

What I do is buy used tires. Usually about 20 or 30 each, inluding
replacing on the rim, dynamic balancing, and replacing on the car.

The place I go to normally has me in and out in under 5 minutes.
Literally 5 minutes, never more than 10. from the time I drive up until
I drive away. Rarely any waiting time

That's not a bad return for your money for a tool.

R. P. McMurphy July 9th 15 09:29 AM

On 07/09/2015 03:00 AM, micky wrote:
The place I go to normally has me in and out in under 5 minutes.
Literally 5 minutes, never more than 10. from the time I drive up until
I drive away. Rarely any waiting time

Freaky fast!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4NctrMmyX8

Uncle Monster[_2_] July 9th 15 10:54 AM

On Thursday, July 9, 2015 at 2:34:37 AM UTC-5, Karlheinz Fenstermacher wrote:
On Wed, 08 Jul 2015 15:21:38 +0000, HerHusband wrote:

Now that I'm getting older, I am finding it harder/less enjoyable to do
some simple tasks like changing the oil in my car.

The day you start taking an oil change to a shop is the day
you probably should leave this group. :)

You don't know what they do with the car. Just watch them some day,
and you'll never want YOUR car in their shop, ever.

Ya know, I really worry when I take Dogma, my 6 pound ankle biter to the veterinarian for service and they take him into that back room. I have no idea of what kind of torture devices they're using on him but the instruments used there are better than those I have at home. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Dog Monster

Uncle Monster[_2_] July 9th 15 12:19 PM

wrote:

[...]

When I was a kid, I actually got a, "build your own electric motor kit" as a gift. It came with everything needed to wind the armature of a 4" long permanent magnet DC motor. I wish I still had the thing but it was more than 50 years ago when I received the kit. I spent a few minutes searching the web but all I found were simple science fair kits. 8-(

[8~{} Uncle Motor Monster

rbowman[_2_] July 9th 15 02:55 PM

On 07/09/2015 01:16 AM, Karlheinz Fenstermacher wrote:
The tire-changing tool costs about $100 or so.
Each tire (out here) costs about $20 to change at the shop.
So, after one full set of tires, the tool has paid for itself.

I change my own tube type motorcycle tires. The spoons cost about $15
iirc. However, I get the tubeless type done at a shop. Why? Because I
don't have a high volume air compressor to seat the beads on a tubeless
tire. Sometimes it's no problem. Other times it's a major pita.

Did you include the cost of a high volume air source?

rbowman[_2_] July 9th 15 02:59 PM

On 07/09/2015 01:18 AM, Karlheinz Fenstermacher wrote:
I once "fixed" an alternator by re-winding the coils.

That's one job I'll never do again, but, how many of you can say
you've done it?

Not an alternator but small DC motors. Back in the '60s before some
manufacturers got into the game that was how you got your slot car cooking.

rbowman[_2_] July 9th 15 03:04 PM

On 07/09/2015 01:34 AM, Karlheinz Fenstermacher wrote:
The day you start taking an oil change to a shop is the day
you probably should leave this group.:)

You don't know what they do with the car. Just watch them some day,
and you'll never want YOUR car in their shop, ever.

I prefer being able to remove the filter without dynamite so I do the
changes myself. In fact I can't remember the last time I took a vehicle
to a shop for anything other than an alignment. Well, I did have one car
towed to an autobody shop so they could pronounce it dead.

Muggles July 9th 15 04:04 PM

On 7/9/2015 2:29 AM, Karlheinz Fenstermacher wrote:
On Wed, 08 Jul 2015 13:19:50 -0500, Muggles wrote:

I bought some shoe goo to fix my favorite shoes where they were
separating from the soles. Worked like a charm, and I got about another
years worth of wear out of them.

I often shoo goo the rubber soles of work or hiking boots back,
and that works great.

I was surprised at how well the product worked. The leather tops of the
shoes I used it on wore out before the shoe goo.

--
Maggie

Muggles July 9th 15 04:06 PM

wrote:

On Wed, 08 Jul 2015 15:21:38 +0000, HerHusband wrote:

Now that I'm getting older, I am finding it harder/less enjoyable to do
some simple tasks like changing the oil in my car.

The day you start taking an oil change to a shop is the day
you probably should leave this group. :)

My friend of 20 years, a girlfriend for a while 20 years ago, each time
I mention getting a ladder to clean my 2nd story gutters, tells me I
should pay someone. That's the only thing that makes her say that.

She read about or new someone in town who fell off the ladder and hurt
hismef bad.

Should I listen to her.

You don't know what they do with the car. Just watch them some day,
and you'll never want YOUR car in their shop, ever.

She could hold the ladder for you. OTOH, I guess it depends on whether
or not you're good balancing on a ladder. I don't have the balance to
climb too high on one myself.

--
Maggie

HerHusband July 9th 15 04:17 PM

Where can I get boot leather for my wife's boot heel?

Now that I'm getting older, I am finding it harder/less enjoyable to do
some simple tasks like changing the oil in my car.

The day you start taking an oil change to a shop is the day
you probably should leave this group. :)

I hear ya, when that day comes it will be hard to accept.

When I was a teenager I used to change my oil frequently. Any excuse to
work under the hood was fine with me.

Now that I'm over 50 (and out of shape) it physically hurts to climb under
the car to change the oil. Sometimes I get on the ground and have
difficulty getting back out from under the car. Not to mention my vision
isn't what it used to be.

I'm still at that "work through the pain" stage of life... :)

You don't know what they do with the car. Just watch them some day,
and you'll never want YOUR car in their shop, ever.

My daughter took her car to the local Oil Can Henry's. She said they have
cameras and monitors set up so she could watch everything going on. She
seemed happy with the service. The only downside is they tend to talk her
into repairs she doesn't really need (i.e. changing the air filter I
replaced a month earlier).

Anthony Watson
www.mountainsoftware.com
www.watsondiy.com

micky July 10th 15 01:02 AM

Where can I get boot leather for my wife's boot heel?

wrote:

[...]

I didn't talk to him about it but I found in my older brother's closet a
motor that he made. But it wasn't from much of a kit. Only the wire
would have been included, if that is still a kit.

He used 4 big nails, two pairs maybe 1/2 inch apart with wires between
each pair of them, to hold the armature, and the armature itself might
have been a big nail. Galvanized with a head, iirc.

I don't remember what he used for brushes.

I can't remember much more than that. I don't even know if it ran on
110 or a battery. At age 10 or younger I would have been afraid to plug
it into the wall (and it had no plug anyhow) and batteries were not
something lying around. We had probably one flashlight with two
batteries and that's all we had. So I never tried to run it, but I
think it worked.

Dan Espen[_2_] July 10th 15 02:46 AM

wrote:

[...]

That was a pretty common school project when I went to school in NYC.
(1950s.)

--
Dan Espen

Uncle Monster[_2_] July 10th 15 03:04 AM

wrote:

[...]

The motor in your description seems like that from the motor plans in the old Cub Scout manual and the power source used by me and experimenters when I was a kid was the #6 1.5 volt igniter dry cell that had terminals on top. Back in the last century it was a common battery type available everywhere.. Since they're no longer manufactured as a single cell, there are plastic shells with thumbscrew terminals and a pair of alkaline cells inside connected in parallel. ^_^

http://www.bizarrelabs.com/motor2.htm

http://www.prc68.com/I/No6.shtml#New6

http://preview.tinyurl.com/n9vxlrz

rbowman[_2_] July 10th 15 04:11 AM

On 07/09/2015 06:02 PM, micky wrote:
He used 4 big nails, two pairs maybe 1/2 inch apart with wires between
each pair of them, to hold the armature, and the armature itself might
have been a big nail. Galvanized with a head, iirc.

http://bizarrelabs.com/motor2.htm

It was a Cub Scout project back when kids did something other than whine
for new Xbox games.

rbowman[_2_] July 10th 15 04:14 AM

On 07/09/2015 08:04 PM, Uncle Monster wrote:
The motor in your description seems like that from the motor plans in the old Cub Scout manual and the power source used by me and experimenters when I was a kid was the #6 1.5 volt igniter dry cell that had terminals on top.

And after the battery died you could take it apart, salvage the carbon
electrode, and make yourself an arc light. Or blow all the fuses in the
house, whichever came first.

Uncle Monster[_2_] July 10th 15 04:59 AM

On Thursday, July 9, 2015 at 10:13:25 PM UTC-5, rbowman wrote:
On 07/09/2015 08:04 PM, Uncle Monster wrote:
The motor in your description seems like that from the motor plans in the old Cub Scout manual and the power source used by me and experimenters when I was a kid was the #6 1.5 volt igniter dry cell that had terminals on top.

And after the battery died you could take it apart, salvage the carbon
electrode, and make yourself an arc light. Or blow all the fuses in the
house, whichever came first.

When I was a young mad scientist, I would trim a 1/4 inch of wood from either end of a #2 pencil and using alligator clips, connect wires to the pencil lead then to a car battery or low voltage side of a battery charger transformer, watch the lead turn red and the wood burn off of the graphite. I was fun to make carbon arcs and burn through sheet metal. Me and my brothers were dangerous kids. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Arc Monster

Stormin Mormon[_10_] July 10th 15 01:26 PM

On 7/9/2015 11:14 PM, rbowman wrote:
On 07/09/2015 08:04 PM, Uncle Monster wrote:
The motor in your description seems like that from the motor plans in
the old Cub Scout manual and the power source used by me and
experimenters when I was a kid was the #6 1.5 volt igniter dry cell
that had terminals on top.

And after the battery died you could take it apart, salvage the carbon
electrode, and make yourself an arc light. Or blow all the fuses in the
house, whichever came first.

I loved the carbon rods for sidewalk marking. The
manganese dioxide made a mess in the house, and
Mom wasn't pleaed.

--
..
Christopher A. Young

rbowman[_2_] July 10th 15 02:55 PM

On 07/10/2015 06:26 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
I loved the carbon rods for sidewalk marking. The
manganese dioxide made a mess in the house, and
Mom wasn't pleaed.

Most of my early engineering was done in the cellar. My mother avoided
the area except when some hormonal imbalance launched her on a cleanup
campaign. Those consisted of taking random stuff and throwing it into
the creek in back of the house. Fortunately most of it didn't float and
the creek was shallow enough most of the year to allow easy retrieval.