DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   trouble with recent emergency battery, inverter, car set up (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/383174-trouble-recent-emergency-battery-inverter-car-set-up.html)

pete June 28th 15 12:12 PM

trouble with recent emergency battery, inverter, car set up

I had a recent power outage that lasted for 3 days. Not having a
generator on hand, I decided to try using what I did have for short term
power purposes. The items consisted of the car, 500 watt inverter, and
I had an extra car battery available.

I hooked up the inverter directly to the car battery in the car. With
the car running, I was able to run the 46" LCD TV, and a couple of CFL
lights which was all I really needed to do. However, I ran into some
problems. If the car wasn't running the entire time, the items
connected to the inverter would start flickering on and off after a
period of time. If off of the car battery inside the car, this might be
within an hour, but with the separate battery, maybe 10 minutes unless
it was coupled to the car battery in the car with the car running.

All in all, I was disappointed. I'm wondering why the items wouldn't
operate correctly unless the car engine was running. There certainly
wasn't a lot of wattage being drawn.... the TV uses like 100 watts with
the lights maybe 10 watts each, and there were 2. I had hoped to just
use the battery in the car to occasionally "jump" and charge the
separate battery when it got too low, but never got to that point as
the attached items would start flicking on and off.

I see portable power packs with internal battery and inverter at places
like Walmart. The inverter is usually 400 watts or so, so I know this
method should have worked. Any ideas as to why my set up didn't work
well would be welcomed. If it had worked this time, I had planned on
maybe a 1000 watt inverter at some point which I had hoped maybe if this
happened in the future to be able to run the house refrigerator from the
inverter/ car battery set up, but not if I have to have the car running
the entire time.

Thanks for your help.

Pete

mike[_22_] June 28th 15 12:22 PM

On 6/28/2015 4:12 AM, pete wrote:
[...]

Are you sure your TV is only 100W?
You're drawing too much current for a car battery to last long.
Your extra batteries are shot.

Do the math. a 1000 watt inverter will draw 100 amps or so from
a car battery. It won't last long.

A generator is WAY cheaper than the cost of a set of batteries
to do what you want.

pete June 28th 15 12:37 PM

On 06/28/2015 07:22 AM, mike wrote:
On 6/28/2015 4:12 AM, pete wrote:
[...]

According to the manual, the TV draws 100 watts. The extra battery was
brand new and was rated 525 CCA.

Do the math. a 1000 watt inverter will draw 100 amps or so from
a car battery. It won't last long.

Perhaps not, but the idea was to get the combination working well with
the 500 w inverter first which didn't happen.

A generator is WAY cheaper than the cost of a set of batteries
to do what you want.

Well, the brand new battery was $65 and I already had the 500 w inverter.
Since generators were all sold out locally at the time, I had to do my
best to make the combination work which really didn't happen. Besides,
generators have to be maintained periodically as they'll sit for long
periods without use, something not done for inverters and we already
have regular maintenance on the car.

Terry Coombs[_2_] June 28th 15 12:53 PM

On 6/28/2015 4:12 AM, pete wrote:
[...]

The only maintainance my generator sees is an oil change periodically . I
DO make sure I run the carb dry when I'm done with it , and only use
non-ethanol gas . But then mine is a fairly expensive 5500 watt unit , not a
HF $129 2-stroke POS . YMMV ...

--
Snag

Stormin Mormon[_10_] June 28th 15 01:08 PM

On 6/28/2015 7:37 AM, pete wrote:

Well, the brand new battery was $65 and I already had the 500 w inverter.
Since generators were all sold out locally at the time, I had to do my
best to make the combination work which really didn't happen. Besides,
generators have to be maintained periodically as they'll sit for long
periods without use, something not done for inverters and we already
have regular maintenance on the car.

I'd be tempted to put ammeter on the TV and
see what the real current draw is.

Car starting batteries some times have a
"reserve capacity" listed, typically 25
amps for some hours and minutes. This will
give you a better idea of capacity, compared
to CCA.

Car batteries are designed for high current,
very short time use. Like car starting. To
use them for deep discharge can damage the
batteries.

In such a setup, I think leaving the car
running will give you better performance, and
less chance of damaging the battery (s).

-
..
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
.. www.lds.org
..
..

Stormin Mormon[_10_] June 28th 15 01:10 PM

trouble with generators

On 6/28/2015 7:53 AM, Terry Coombs wrote:

The only maintainance my generator sees is an oil change periodically . I
DO make sure I run the carb dry when I'm done with it , and only use
non-ethanol gas . But then mine is a fairly expensive 5500 watt unit , not a
HF $129 2-stroke POS . YMMV ...

From my own experience with a ETQ 1200, they
should not be run dry, they develop a piston
rod knock, and then don't start worth a hoot
after that.

With your 5500 watt unit, crank case oil.
That one can run dry. The gas oil mixers
should not be run dry.

-
..
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
.. www.lds.org
..
..

Bob_Villa June 28th 15 01:38 PM

On Sunday, June 28, 2015 at 6:12:45 AM UTC-5, pete wrote:
If it had worked this time, I had planned on
maybe a 1000 watt inverter at some point which I had hoped maybe if this
happened in the future to be able to run the house refrigerator from the
inverter/ car battery set up, but not if I have to have the car running
the entire time.

Thanks for your help.

Pete

The items you are powering need a stable 60Hz...I think the inverter is below par for this. Sometimes CFL's are the only thing that flickers when you have a minute power fluctuation...and your TV may be CCFL (and not LED).

philo June 28th 15 02:04 PM

On 06/28/2015 06:12 AM, pete wrote:

I see portable power packs with internal battery and inverter at places
like Walmart. The inverter is usually 400 watts or so, so I know this
method should have worked. Any ideas as to why my set up didn't work
well would be welcomed. If it had worked this time, I had planned on
maybe a 1000 watt inverter at some point which I had hoped maybe if this
happened in the future to be able to run the house refrigerator from the
inverter/ car battery set up, but not if I have to have the car running
the entire time.

Thanks for your help.

Pete

With your car running, the inverter will be running with full input voltage.

With the car off, the battery voltage will eventually drop to the point
where the inverter's output is low or unstable.

Your car battery is probably in good shape, but your spare battery is
either weak or was not fully charged.

Also note:

A car battery is no designed for deep discharge...basically all it would
normally need to do is supply a lot of current for a short period of time.

If you discharge a car battery too often it will die prematurely.

To run an inverter it's best to use a battery specifically designed for
deep discharge...such as a trolling motor battery.

[email protected] June 28th 15 02:11 PM

trouble with recent emergency battery, inverter, car set up

Op,
Here the answer to your problem.
Most inverters have a low voltage cut off that will turn them off
When the input voltage gets below something like 10 volts.

A good car battery puts out 12 volts which leaves you only 2 volts margin.
You MUST use heavy cables and connectors to connect the inverter to the battery.
100 watts at 12 volts is almost 10 amps so it is easy to drop a volt or more in the
Cable and connectors.

A running car CHARGES the battery which means there is almost 14 volts across the battery.
That extra 2 volts makes up for the drop in your cables.

Get some HEAVY cables and try it again.

Mark

trader_4 June 28th 15 02:15 PM

On 6/28/2015 4:12 AM, pete wrote:
[...]

I agree it sounds like the inverter didn't run as long as you'd
expect. If your load calc is right, you had 120W. Allowing for
some losses, let's make it 150W. That's 1.25A on the AC side,
12.5A on the battery side. I would think a typical car battery
would be able to deliver 12A for a lot more than an hour. How
long were the extension cords linking this together? Was it
wired to the battery with cables of sufficient gauge? Another
factor would be the age of the batteries used. A new battery
and a 5 year old one are going to perform differently. Also
possible there is something wrong with the inverter and how
well it works may depend on whether it's a quality one or a
cheap Chinese one off ebay.

Did you take any voltage or current readings while this was
happening? That would have provided some relevant data.

A generator is WAY cheaper than the cost of a set of batteries
to do what you want.

Well, the brand new battery was $65 and I already had the 500 w inverter.
Since generators were all sold out locally at the time, I had to do my
best to make the combination work which really didn't happen. Besides,
generators have to be maintained periodically as they'll sit for long
periods without use, something not done for inverters and we already
have regular maintenance on the car.

OK, so we know that one of the batteries is brand new. Generators
seem to generally do OK without maintenance when just sitting,
provided you empty the gas, run it dry.

trader_4 June 28th 15 02:19 PM

On Sunday, June 28, 2015 at 8:08:23 AM UTC-4, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 6/28/2015 7:37 AM, pete wrote:

[...]

All good points. If he bought a new battery for this use,
it should be a deep cycle type. Starting type batteries
don't last long when you deep discharge them. Each discharge
takes more life out of them than it would a deep cycle
battery. And letting them sit for any period discharged
is very bad too.

bob haller June 28th 15 03:04 PM

trouble with recent emergency battery, inverter, car set up

OK, so we know that one of the batteries is brand new. Generators
seem to generally do OK without maintenance when just sitting,
provided you empty the gas, run it dry.

check date code on new battery, it might have been sitting on a shelf for a year, was the new battery load tested before use and then charged?

my GF was thinking of buying and renovating a abandoned home. she wondered about the wiring.

i stumbled onto a near giveawy deal on CFs.

so i replaced nearly all lightbulbs thru the entire home, and feed a extension cord from the inverter to the homesmain braker panel. i managed to power up the entire home.

i did this during the day and returned with her about dusk that evening. plugged in the home it lit up nicely. some neighbor must of noticed and called the police. lots of questions like how did you get the power on?

about this time the diming began the OP reported.

kinda unreal standing in the living room of a abandoned home talking to police with the lights dim and brite. the inverter was over heating from being slightly overloaded, and the short 12 volt cables had the inverter really close to the raditor fans exhaust, it was unreal hot when i pulled the system down.......

interestingl we were at that home yesterday, the community is sending my GF a letter aboutpurchase price.. we orignally stumbled onto it years ago.

of course it needs a lot of work, all copper gone, and some CPVC all frozen and broke. who cares thats what PEX is for:)

will need a new roof soon, new furnace and air, some wiring upgrades. it has romexall with ground wires but 2 prong outlets, no biggie replace all outlets and switches i have done lots of wiring, needs windows, the old steel casements werent a big loss neighbor hood kids used a neighbors river rock garden a a ammo dump.

someoe tore down the kitche cieling to steal the copper.

i enjoy fixing up homes, just wish my knee didnt hurt.

when we were there yesterday I discovered the ceramic tile kitchen was really glued on plastic tile. home will need a new kitchen and the old tile was ugly. GF thought it was ceramic.

i am stuned the home wasnt really vandalized. we found a letter from someone pushed thru a window wanting to rent it.. neighbors are nice and must be keeping a eye on things. hopefully purchase price is very low. i would enjoy the project.

years ago we removed all the trash from the place......

its aquired a name the ivy house. since ivy grew up the outside wall entered into the master bedroom and over time grew across the rooms and out another window on the other side

Stormin Mormon[_10_] June 28th 15 03:14 PM

On 6/28/2015 10:04 AM, bob haller wrote:
[...]

So, you considering moving into a place where the
neighbors call the cops on you?

-
..
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
.. www.lds.org
..
..

Ed Pawlowski June 28th 15 03:21 PM

[...]

Sounds like you are buying 4 walls and an umbrella. Would be nice to
have it salvaged rather than left to fall down in time. Take lots of
before and after photos.

Bob F June 28th 15 03:26 PM

Stormin Mormon wrote:
[...]

Neighbors that actually care? That would be yes!

Bob F June 28th 15 03:27 PM

wrote:
Op,
Here the answer to your problem.
Most inverters have a low voltage cut off that will turn them off
When the input voltage gets below something like 10 volts.

A good car battery puts out 12 volts which leaves you only 2 volts
margin.
You MUST use heavy cables and connectors to connect the inverter to
the battery. 100 watts at 12 volts is almost 10 amps so it is easy to
drop a volt or more in the
Cable and connectors.

A running car CHARGES the battery which means there is almost 14
volts across the battery. That extra 2 volts makes up for the drop in
your cables.

Get some HEAVY cables and try it again.

+1 - my thought exactly.

Stormin Mormon[_10_] June 28th 15 04:10 PM

On 6/28/2015 10:26 AM, Bob F wrote:
Stormin Mormon wrote:
kinda unreal standing in the living room of a abandoned

home talking to police with the lights dim and brite.
the inverter was over heating from being slightly overloaded,

So, you considering moving into a place where the
neighbors call the cops on you?

Neighbors that actually care? That would be yes!

There is some advantage to caring neighbors.
Since you word it that way, I can see the other
side of the coin. Thank you.

-
..
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
.. www.lds.org
..
..

N. Cognito June 28th 15 05:40 PM

On 6/28/2015 6:12 AM, pete wrote:
I see portable power packs with internal battery and inverter at places like Walmart. The inverter is usually 400 watts or so, so I know this method should have worked. Any ideas as to why my set up didn't work well would be welcomed. If it had worked
this time, I had planned on maybe a 1000 watt inverter at some point which I had hoped maybe if this happened in the future to be able to run the house refrigerator from the inverter/ car battery set up, but not if I have to have the car running the
entire time.

Thanks for your help.

Pete

Take care of it and this will virtually last forever:
http://www.electricgeneratorsdirect....tor/p8519.html

[email protected] June 28th 15 06:25 PM

On 6/28/2015 4:12 AM, pete wrote:
[...]

Running a car to operate a 500, or even a 1000 watt inverter, is an
awfull inefficient and expensive way to provide emergency power.

[email protected] June 28th 15 06:28 PM

trouble with recent emergency battery, inverter, car set up

On 6/28/2015 4:12 AM, pete wrote:
[...]

I don't even have to drain the carb. I just plug it into the natural
gas line. I also have the option of running it on 2 propane BarBQ
tanks. Synthetic oil change every 50 hours of intermittent use, a few
hundred hours of consistent running. (Full pressure filtered lub
system)

Mark Lloyd[_12_] June 28th 15 07:59 PM

trouble with recent emergency battery, inverter, car set up

On 06/28/2015 08:04 AM, philo wrote:

[snip]

To run an inverter it's best to use a battery specifically designed for
deep discharge...such as a trolling motor battery.

During one power outage, I ran a TV (372W LCD with fluorescent
backlight) with an inverter on a deep-cycle battery. It lasted over 4
hours without any flickering.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"The purpose of separation of church and state is to keep forever from
these shores the ceaseless strife that has soaked the soil of Europe
with blood for centuries." -- JAMES MADISON

CRNG[_2_] June 28th 15 08:03 PM

trouble with recent emergency battery, inverter, car set up

On Sun, 28 Jun 2015 06:53:54 -0500, "Terry Coombs"
wrote in

But then mine is a fairly expensive 5500 watt unit , not a
HF $129 2-stroke POS . YMMV ...

Mind if I ask what brand gen you have?

Mark Lloyd[_12_] June 28th 15 08:06 PM

trouble with recent emergency battery, inverter, car set up

On 06/28/2015 08:15 AM, trader_4 wrote:

[snip]

Generators
seem to generally do OK without maintenance when just sitting,
provided you empty the gas, run it dry.

Running it dry will help. It's something I do regularly now. Having a
gasoline shutoff helps.

I seem to have heard of another problem with generators. That they
depend on some residual magnetic field that has to be refreshed
occasionally. I'm not sure how true this is, or if it applies to mine
(Honda EB3000c, which, according to the manual, generates 3-phase which
is electronically converted to 1-phase).

philo June 28th 15 11:17 PM

On 06/28/2015 01:59 PM, Mark Lloyd wrote:
On 06/28/2015 08:04 AM, philo wrote:

[snip]

To run an inverter it's best to use a battery specifically designed for
deep discharge...such as a trolling motor battery.

During one power outage, I ran a TV (372W LCD with fluorescent
backlight) with an inverter on a deep-cycle battery. It lasted over 4
hours without any flickering.

I've got a few industrial-grade UPS's here and we once had a power
outage go 24 hours.

Since the weather was hot, all I cared about was the fan I keep next to
the bed and UPS held up the entire time.

[email protected] June 28th 15 11:35 PM

trouble with recent emergency battery, inverter, car set up

You need a deep cycle battery not a car battery. You were ruining your car battery by running it the way you were.

For emergency power needs, the best bang for your buck still can't beat out a gasoline powered generator.

Stormin Mormon[_10_] June 29th 15 12:33 AM

On 6/28/2015 1:25 PM, wrote:
Running a car to operate a 500, or even a 1000 watt inverter, is an
awfull inefficient and expensive way to provide emergency power.

Agree. It also helps light up the house, and
get the neighbors to call the cops. Nothing
like revolving red light bars to help you
see to get ready to go to bed.

-
..
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
..
www.lds.org
..
..

Terry Coombs[_2_] June 29th 15 03:06 AM

CRNG wrote:
On Sun, 28 Jun 2015 06:53:54 -0500, "Terry Coombs"
wrote in

But then mine is a fairly expensive 5500 watt unit , not a
HF $129 2-stroke POS . YMMV ...

Mind if I ask what brand gen you have?

It's a B&S model 030430 , 5500 watts / 8500 surge . Retail was around a
thousand , I got this one for less than half that from a remorseful buyer .
It had never even been started ... this is the second one , the first was
stolen out of my shed (down in Memphis) on a dark and stormy night .

--
Snag

CRNG[_2_] June 29th 15 01:15 PM

trouble with recent emergency battery, inverter, car set up

On Sun, 28 Jun 2015 21:06:32 -0500, "Terry Coombs"
wrote in

CRNG wrote:
On Sun, 28 Jun 2015 06:53:54 -0500, "Terry Coombs"
wrote in

But then mine is a fairly expensive 5500 watt unit , not a
HF $129 2-stroke POS . YMMV ...

Mind if I ask what brand gen you have?

It's a B&S model 030430 , 5500 watts / 8500 surge . Retail was around a
thousand , I got this one for less than half that from a remorseful buyer .
It had never even been started ... this is the second one , the first was
stolen out of my shed (down in Memphis) on a dark and stormy night .

Thanks. It looks like a nice genny for emergency use.

Terry Coombs[_2_] June 30th 15 12:22 AM

CRNG wrote:
On Sun, 28 Jun 2015 06:53:54 -0500, "Terry Coombs"
wrote in

But then mine is a fairly expensive 5500 watt unit , not a
HF $129 2-stroke POS . YMMV ...

Mind if I ask what brand gen you have?

It's a B&S model 030430 , 5500 watts / 8500 surge . Retail was
around a thousand , I got this one for less than half that from a
remorseful buyer . It had never even been started ... this is the
second one , the first was stolen out of my shed (down in Memphis)
on a dark and stormy night .

Thanks. It looks like a nice genny for emergency use.

It is , it will run my whole house in Memphis except for central air . Up
here , we turn the water heater off , but can leave it on if I want long
enough to get a hot shower . I can also run all the shop equipment but the
TIG machine if needed . (not all at the same time of course)

--
Snag

trader_4 June 30th 15 02:48 PM

CRNG wrote:
[...]

During Sandy I was surprised at how much you can run off a generator
that size. Neighbor had one that was ~5000W and we ran two houses
off of it. That included at least 3 refrigerator/freezers, two furnaces,
two gas fired water heaters with blowers, plus lights, radios. Even
more amazing, the second house was on at least 100ft of extension cord.
The neighbor was even hooking up a resistance heater first day, until
I got his furnace going for him. Only thing it wouldn't run was his
washing machine.... Why he would even try that, IDK. Could have killed
the golden goose. Might run OK without the other loads, but even then
hard to imagine you can't go a week without doing laundry. On my side
I did do some load management, eg disconnecting the freezer while the
furnace was on. But not sure I even needed to do that.

Stormin Mormon[_10_] June 30th 15 03:52 PM

On 6/30/2015 9:48 AM, trader_4 wrote:

During Sandy I was surprised at how much you can run off a generator
that size. Neighbor had one that was ~5000W and we ran two houses
off of it. That included at least 3 refrigerator/freezers, two furnaces,
two gas fired water heaters with blowers, plus lights, radios. Even
more amazing, the second house was on at least 100ft of extension cord.
The neighbor was even hooking up a resistance heater first day, until
I got his furnace going for him. Only thing it wouldn't run was his
washing machine.... Why he would even try that, IDK. Could have killed
the golden goose. Might run OK without the other loads, but even then
hard to imagine you can't go a week without doing laundry. On my side
I did do some load management, eg disconnecting the freezer while the
furnace was on. But not sure I even needed to do that.

Years ago, I did some calculations. A galon of gas
provides about 4,000 watts for one hour. With a
5k genny, best to have a LOT of gasoline on hand.
Cause the gas stations don't have power.

-
..
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
.. www.lds.org
..
..

Bob_Villa June 30th 15 04:49 PM

On Tuesday, June 30, 2015 at 9:52:26 AM UTC-5, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Years ago, I did some calculations. A galon of gas
provides about 4,000 watts for one hour. With a
5k genny, best to have a LOT of gasoline on hand.
Cause the gas stations don't have power.

You can siphon gas from your car in an emergency. Good thought though...

[email protected] June 30th 15 05:30 PM

trouble with recent emergency battery, inverter, car set up

On Tue, 30 Jun 2015 10:52:26 -0400, Stormin Mormon
wrote:

[...]

.
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
. www.lds.org
.
.

That's why I spent about $300 extra to make mine run on natural gas -
and another almost $100 to handle propane as well.

Mark Lloyd[_12_] July 1st 15 03:20 AM

trouble with recent emergency battery, inverter, car set up

On 06/30/2015 08:48 AM, trader_4 wrote:

[snip]

During Sandy I was surprised at how much you can run off a generator
that size. Neighbor had one that was ~5000W and we ran two houses
off of it. That included at least 3 refrigerator/freezers, two furnaces,
two gas fired water heaters with blowers, plus lights, radios. Even
more amazing, the second house was on at least 100ft of extension cord.
The neighbor was even hooking up a resistance heater first day, until
I got his furnace going for him. Only thing it wouldn't run was his
washing machine.... Why he would even try that, IDK.

I considered running my washer on a generator during the power outage a
month ago, but knew there was no way to run the electric dryer.

Could have killed
the golden goose. Might run OK without the other loads, but even then
hard to imagine you can't go a week without doing laundry. On my side
I did do some load management, eg disconnecting the freezer while the
furnace was on. But not sure I even needed to do that.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"The age of ignorance commenced with the Christian system." -- Thomas
Paine (1737-1809)

Mark Lloyd[_12_] July 1st 15 03:23 AM

trouble with recent emergency battery, inverter, car set up

On 06/30/2015 09:52 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

[snip]

Years ago, I did some calculations. A galon of gas
provides about 4,000 watts for one hour. With a
5k genny, best to have a LOT of gasoline on hand.
Cause the gas stations don't have power.

Maybe you could convert the genny to run on propane. There are some
conversions that let you use either fuel. You can keep propane longer.

-
.
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
. www.lds.org
.
.

Mark Lloyd[_12_] July 1st 15 03:24 AM

On 06/30/2015 10:49 AM, bob_villa wrote:
On Tuesday, June 30, 2015 at 9:52:26 AM UTC-5, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Years ago, I did some calculations. A galon of gas
provides about 4,000 watts for one hour. With a
5k genny, best to have a LOT of gasoline on hand.
Cause the gas stations don't have power.

You can siphon gas from your car in an emergency. Good thought though...

I thought most car tanks were designed to prevent that.

Mark Lloyd[_12_] July 1st 15 03:29 AM

trouble with recent emergency battery, inverter, car set up

On 06/30/2015 11:30 AM, wrote:

[snip]

That's why I spent about $300 extra to make mine run on natural gas -
and another almost $100 to handle propane as well.

The conversion I installed is supposed to work on either propane or NG.
I had some extra expense for propane (hose and regulator). NG would
require the installation of an NG connection.

bob haller July 1st 15 03:51 AM

On Tuesday, June 30, 2015 at 10:24:39 PM UTC-4, Mark Lloyd wrote:
On 06/30/2015 10:49 AM, bob_villa wrote:
On Tuesday, June 30, 2015 at 9:52:26 AM UTC-5, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Years ago, I did some calculations. A galon of gas
provides about 4,000 watts for one hour. With a
5k genny, best to have a LOT of gasoline on hand.
Cause the gas stations don't have power.

You can siphon gas from your car in an emergency. Good thought though...

I thought most car tanks were designed to prevent that.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"The age of ignorance commenced with the Christian system." -- Thomas
Paine (1737-1809)

you can put a shrader connector on the fuel line under the hood. normally the fitting is used for pressure testing the fuel system

[email protected] July 1st 15 04:06 AM

trouble with recent emergency battery, inverter, car set up

On Tue, 30 Jun 2015 21:29:01 -0500, Mark Lloyd
wrote:

On 06/30/2015 11:30 AM, wrote:

[snip]

That's why I spent about $300 extra to make mine run on natural gas -
and another almost $100 to handle propane as well.

The conversion I installed is supposed to work on either propane or NG.
I had some extra expense for propane (hose and regulator). NG would
require the installation of an NG connection.

I already had the NG line for the Bar B Q - just added the 1/2" quick
connect to the line - and I also had to buy the natural gas hose. That
(along with the motor snorkel kit from US Carburetion) looked after
the NG conversion.
To run off of Propane I needed the propane regulator and the
anti-backflow "T" to connect 2 tanks because one 20 or 30 lb tank
cannot supply the 440cc engine for more than a few minutes in cold
weather without freezing up., as well as the female quick-connect to
connect the propane regulator to the natural gas hose. as well as a
pair of whip hoses to connect the tanks.

All prices in Canadian Dollars - and include shipping and brokerage
getting parts to Canada from USA

Uncle Monster[_2_] July 1st 15 05:43 AM

On Tuesday, June 30, 2015 at 9:24:39 PM UTC-5, Mark Lloyd wrote:
On 06/30/2015 10:49 AM, bob_villa wrote:
On Tuesday, June 30, 2015 at 9:52:26 AM UTC-5, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Years ago, I did some calculations. A galon of gas
provides about 4,000 watts for one hour. With a
5k genny, best to have a LOT of gasoline on hand.
Cause the gas stations don't have power.

You can siphon gas from your car in an emergency. Good thought though....

I thought most car tanks were designed to prevent that.

--
Mark Lloyd

Back in the 1970's during The Arab Oil Embargo, a lot of motorists were running out of gas on the interstate highways here in Alabamastan so the Department of Public Safety equipped State Trouper patrol cars with some sort of tap into the car's fuel line which allowed a trouper to dispense a small amount of fuel to a stranded motorist so they could get off the interstate. I imagine it was some sort of tap in the fuel line at the fuel pump. The patrol cars back then didn't electric fuel pumps so I don't know if an auxiliary electric pump was added or a tap was made on the line at the pressure side of the mechanical fuel pump. If you wanted to have a convenient way to get fuel for your portable equipment you could make a tap into your vehicle's fuel system. If you have the mechanical skills needed and an understanding of how your vehicle's fuel system worked, it would be a project you might consider. For many people it's a "Don't try this at home" project. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Gassy Monster