Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How to oil, qiet fan?

I needed my 7" fan for something else (They don't seem to sell 7" AC
fans these days.) so I got out one of my father's fans for use at the
computer. It's a Bersted 1250R "Zero" model, made by McGraw Hill in
the 50's they say.

1) I couldn't find my regular oil, so is there any reason not to use
10W-30? It never gets that cold in the house, especially in the summer
when I use a fan, so I figure that's 30 weight. Good enough, right?

2) So that leaves the detergents. They're not something that actually
has any effect at room temperature, are they? I figure they work when
the oil in the car is hot. (How hot is that?)

3) Then the fan made some noise, and it was clearly from the metal
blades, not the armature. Is there any way I can stop the noise from
the blades? Could I tie them to the protective screen, for example?

Mine looks a lot better than this one, and has the original cord.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-1950...-/221240721471
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, June 24, 2015 at 12:06:17 PM UTC-4, micky wrote:
I needed my 7" fan for something else (They don't seem to sell 7" AC
fans these days.) so I got out one of my father's fans for use at the
computer. It's a Bersted 1250R "Zero" model, made by McGraw Hill in
the 50's they say.

1) I couldn't find my regular oil, so is there any reason not to use
10W-30? It never gets that cold in the house, especially in the summer
when I use a fan, so I figure that's 30 weight. Good enough, right?

2) So that leaves the detergents. They're not something that actually
has any effect at room temperature, are they? I figure they work when
the oil in the car is hot. (How hot is that?)

That oil should be perfectly fine, I wouldn't obsess over it.

3) Then the fan made some noise, and it was clearly from the metal
blades, not the armature. Is there any way I can stop the noise from
the blades? Could I tie them to the protective screen, for example?

Absolutely. It's guaranteed to stop the noise from the fan blades.

Have you been drinking again?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 24 Jun 2015 09:23:19 -0700 (PDT), trader_4
wrote:

Have you been drinking again?

5'Oclock some where

He misses his needle oilier.

http://www.amazon.com/Liquid-Bearings-EXTRA-LONG-synthetic-movements/dp/B00CD814RA/ref=pd_sim_229_3?ie=UTF8&refRID=09YFWNKH38Q1FTC378 VB

https://tinyurl.com/phqj6o9
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, June 24, 2015 at 9:06:17 AM UTC-7, micky wrote:
[...]

I use the Zoom Spout Oiler:

http://www.laco.com/lubricants/zoom-spout-oiler/

Available at many locations including ACE Hardware stores.

The oil in the Zoom Spout Oiler is perfect for fan motors.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/24/2015 12:44 PM, wrote:

I use the Zoom Spout Oiler:

http://www.laco.com/lubricants/zoom-spout-oiler/

Available at many locations including ACE Hardware stores.

The oil in the Zoom Spout Oiler is perfect for fan motors.

Detergent oil can absorb humidity, resulting in
moisture problems. Unless (like in car) it's heated
regularly.

-
..
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
.. www.lds.org
..
..

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 24 Jun 2015 14:32:20 -0400, Stormin Mormon
wrote:

On 6/24/2015 12:44 PM, wrote:

I use the Zoom Spout Oiler:

http://www.laco.com/lubricants/zoom-spout-oiler/

Available at many locations including ACE Hardware stores.

The oil in the Zoom Spout Oiler is perfect for fan motors.

Detergent oil can absorb humidity, resulting in
moisture problems. Unless (like in car) it's heated
regularly.

Hmmm. Well, too late now. We'll see.

Actually, the noise the fan made was something out of a Tennessee
Willaims story, with a fan in the background in 1930's bar or pool room,
or a lawyer's office. But it stopped making the fin noise after 3 or 4
minutes and the only noise was the air moving. It only has one speed,
which is a little too high since it's 2 feet behind my head.

The prior cheap newish plastic fan had two speeds, but by coincidence,
one just broke. I'm going to try putting it in the laundry chute, to
blow basement air to the second floor.

-
.
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
. www.lds.org
.
.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 24 Jun 2015 09:44:02 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

[...]

Thanks for replying.

http://www.laco.com/lubricants/zoom-spout-oiler/

It doesn't give the viscosity. It really should, but maybe they're
afraid if they do that, more people will do what I do.

I bought one of these about 20 years ago. When it's empty I fill it up
with 30 weight motor oil. And if I could have found that quickly, I
would have used that, Last I looked, all 3 zoom bottles, 30, 10W-30,
and one refilled with Liquid Wrench, were in the same place, but not
today.

Available at many locations including ACE Hardware stores.

But I want to run the fan now. ;-)

The oil in the Zoom Spout Oiler is perfect for fan motors.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, June 24, 2015 at 1:32:00 PM UTC-5, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 6/24/2015 12:44 PM, wrote:

I use the Zoom Spout Oiler:

http://www.laco.com/lubricants/zoom-spout-oiler/

Available at many locations including ACE Hardware stores.

The oil in the Zoom Spout Oiler is perfect for fan motors.

Detergent oil can absorb humidity, resulting in
moisture problems. Unless (like in car) it's heated
regularly.

Did you say before that 2-cycle oil is good for small motors?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 24 Jun 2015 12:06:13 -0400, micky
wrote:

3) Then the fan made some noise, and it was clearly from the metal
blades, not the armature. Is there any way I can stop the noise from
the blades? Could I tie them to the protective screen, for example?

Bad idea. Tie it to your dick instead. Once you start feeling the effect
on your dick, you wont hear the blade noise anymore!