Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Newbie question about refrigerator repair

Hi all,

(If this newbie question sounds stupid to you, don't get mad, I'm a
newbie at this.)

I have to replace a broken air duct in the freezer compartment of my GE
refrigerator.

Besides shutting off the circuit breaker, do I also have to ground
myself the way I do when I work on the innards of my computer? If so,
then what's the best way to do that?

--
Steven L.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 20 Jun 2015 10:51:38 -0400, "Steven L."
wrote:

Hi all,

(If this newbie question sounds stupid to you, don't get mad, I'm a
newbie at this.)

I have to replace a broken air duct in the freezer compartment of my GE
refrigerator.

Besides shutting off the circuit breaker, do I also have to ground
myself the way I do when I work on the innards of my computer? If so,
then what's the best way to do that?

My guess is no. At least I haven't done so in the past. I've seen
main boards changed without a wrist strap for static.
--
"We recommend using your hand to replace the fuse as it will take much longer using your knee."
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, June 20, 2015 at 10:52:40 AM UTC-4, Steven L. wrote:
Hi all,

(If this newbie question sounds stupid to you, don't get mad, I'm a
newbie at this.)

I have to replace a broken air duct in the freezer compartment of my GE
refrigerator.

Besides shutting off the circuit breaker, do I also have to ground
myself the way I do when I work on the innards of my computer? If so,
then what's the best way to do that?

--
Steven L.

The grounding yourself procedure is when working on sensitive
electronic semiconductor components. Even then, I've never done
it. If I was in a dry, static prone environment, then I'd take
time to consider reducing the chances of a problem. But replacing
a duct in a freezer, no. Just open the breaker or unplug it.
I wouldn't typically even do that, just turn it off, unless
I was working on electrical parts.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, June 20, 2015 at 9:52:40 AM UTC-5, Steven L. wrote:
Hi all,

(If this newbie question sounds stupid to you, don't get mad, I'm a
newbie at this.)

I have to replace a broken air duct in the freezer compartment of my GE
refrigerator.

Besides shutting off the circuit breaker, do I also have to ground
myself the way I do when I work on the innards of my computer? If so,
then what's the best way to do that?
--
Steven L.

Hey, don't worry, nobody will get mad or think you're stupid to ask about something you've never done before. It's actually a smart move to ask a group of people who've already destroyed a lot of stuff. Don't feel bad about not knowing how to do something, I'm ignorant about a lot of things. For instance, I don't know much about wearing women's clothing except how to remove it.

Your fridge possibly has some electronics in it but don't worry about static doing damage. You can simply turn the refrigerator off at the thermostat unless you're digging into the wiring. Since you're working on your fridge, it would be a good time to clean it. You usually don't have to worry about a dirty evaporator(cold part) except to use a shop-vac to clear the drain. Use the same shop-vac and a special brush made for cleaning the condenser(hot part) under the refrigerator. This will increase efficiency and minimize run time. You can get the brush at Lowe's or Home Depot. Good luck and don't blow the house up. ^_^

http://preview.tinyurl.com/oxf7m6k

http://preview.tinyurl.com/nny9bwr

[8`{} Uncle Fridge Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/20/2015 10:51 AM, Steven L. wrote:
Hi all,

(If this newbie question sounds stupid to you, don't get mad, I'm a
newbie at this.)

I have to replace a broken air duct in the freezer compartment of my GE
refrigerator.

Besides shutting off the circuit breaker, do I also have to ground
myself the way I do when I work on the innards of my computer? If so,
then what's the best way to do that?

Some GE refrigerators have a circuit board
around the back of the unit. I've never
done the ground strap bit. Anf zi'm furpektly
nremal.

-
..
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
.. www.lds.org
..
..

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 20 Jun 2015 14:18:53 -0400, Stormin Mormon
wrote:

On 6/20/2015 10:51 AM, Steven L. wrote:
Hi all,

(If this newbie question sounds stupid to you, don't get mad, I'm a
newbie at this.)

I have to replace a broken air duct in the freezer compartment of my GE
refrigerator.

Besides shutting off the circuit breaker, do I also have to ground
myself the way I do when I work on the innards of my computer? If so,
then what's the best way to do that?

Some GE refrigerators have a circuit board
around the back of the unit. I've never
done the ground strap bit. Anf zi'm furpektly
nremal.

That's easy for you to say.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Hi all,

(If this newbie question sounds stupid to you, don't get mad, I'm a
newbie at this.)

I have to replace a broken air duct in the freezer compartment of my GE
refrigerator.

Besides shutting off the circuit breaker, do I also have to ground
myself the way I do when I work on the innards of my computer? If so,
then what's the best way to do that?

If walkling on the carpet with certain shoes makes a static charge on
your body, the kind that makes a spark when you touch something metal,
you absolutely have to dissipate that charge before you touch electronic
circuits. The current is low but the voltages are high, 50,000 volts
or more.

And it's probably true these days that there's a circuit board even in a
refrigerator.

OTOH, you probably won't be touching it if you're working on an air
duct. And I havent' had a spark from my fingers in decades. It
depends on what the carpeting is made of and what the bottoms of your
shoes are made of. Wool carpet isn't very common these days and even
leather soles and heels are less common. Anyhow, you'll know if
you're generating static charges.

http://www.school-for-champions.com/...m#.VYXHp1IkT6g
http://www.regentsprep.org/regents/p...bo/default.htm
Posted to alt.home.repair

Gordon Shumway posted for all of us...

wrote:

On 6/20/2015 10:51 AM, Steven L. wrote:
Hi all,

(If this newbie question sounds stupid to you, don't get mad, I'm a
newbie at this.)

I have to replace a broken air duct in the freezer compartment of my GE
refrigerator.

Besides shutting off the circuit breaker, do I also have to ground
myself the way I do when I work on the innards of my computer? If so,
then what's the best way to do that?

Some GE refrigerators have a circuit board
around the back of the unit. I've never
done the ground strap bit. Anf zi'm furpektly
nremal.

That's easy for you to say.

Anyone that follows Stumpy knows this a reflective statement. (Can't think
of the correct term)

--
Tekkie *Please post a follow-up*
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/20/2015 10:51 AM, Steven L. wrote:
Hi all,

(If this newbie question sounds stupid to you, don't get mad, I'm a
newbie at this.)

I have to replace a broken air duct in the freezer compartment of my GE
refrigerator.

Besides shutting off the circuit breaker, do I also have to ground
myself the way I do when I work on the innards of my computer? If so,
then what's the best way to do that?

Thanks for your help, guys.

Yes, it might be a good idea to clean the innards of the thing while I'm
at it. I have allergies.

--
Steven L.