Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Cellar pumping prices

Got a call from a friend, another family has a
cellar with water in it. Wants to pay me to pump
the water out. I've never paid for cellar water
pumping.

Who's paid for cellar pumping, and what's the
going rate?

-
..
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
.. www.lds.org
..
..
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 07 Jun 2015 21:31:22 -0400, Stormin Mormon
wrote:

Got a call from a friend, another family has a
cellar with water in it. Wants to pay me to pump
the water out. I've never paid for cellar water
pumping.

Who's paid for cellar pumping, and what's the
going rate?

I can't say. HF has 120V pumps to remove water.

This one is used for draining pools.

_How to make a Portable Clean-Up Pump to Vacuum out a Pool _

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bU8No8Jfjrw
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, June 7, 2015 at 8:31:25 PM UTC-5, Stormin Mormon wrote:
Got a call from a friend, another family has a
cellar with water in it. Wants to pay me to pump
the water out. I've never paid for cellar water
pumping.

Who's paid for cellar pumping, and what's the
going rate?

-

I used to go to the rental store, rent a submersible pump that attached to a standard garden hose and it worked very well for pumping out a basement. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Pump Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 7 Jun 2015 19:23:37 -0700 (PDT), Uncle Monster
wrote:

On Sunday, June 7, 2015 at 8:31:25 PM UTC-5, Stormin Mormon wrote:
Got a call from a friend, another family has a
cellar with water in it. Wants to pay me to pump
the water out. I've never paid for cellar water
pumping.

Who's paid for cellar pumping, and what's the
going rate?

-

I used to go to the rental store, rent a submersible pump that attached to a standard garden hose and it worked very well for pumping out a basement. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Pump Monster

+1. If you buy, "Little Giant" makes a good one. Bought mine for the
pool from HD.

http://www.little-giantpump.com/
Posted to alt.home.repair

I would call a local plumbing company and ask them what they would charge. If it is for a friend, I would just charge whatever it actually cost me out of pocket to do the pumping.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In " writes:

I would call a local plumbing company and ask them what they would charge. If it is for a friend, I would just charge whatever it actually cost me out of pocket to do the pumping.

A 20 or so gallon/minute sump pump, which would work for this modulo leaving
a half inch or so, is about $75 at any of the standard sources. [a]

You didn't say how large the basement is, but let's
call it 20 feet by 40 by 5 feet of water.

That would be... 4000 cubic feet - 30,000 gallons.

At 20 gals/minute that's 1,500 minutes, or 25 hours.

[a] that was the number listed on our unit's box. And while
I haven't actively confirmed it, that certainly looks
about right.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 06/07/2015 09:31 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
Got a call from a friend, another family has a
cellar with water in it. Wants to pay me to pump
the water out. I've never paid for cellar water
pumping.

Who's paid for cellar pumping, and what's the
going rate?

I don't know of any business that can deliver even a trunk monkey for less than $50/hr.

Does the client expect puddles to be removed with a shop vac?

Do they want a blow job to dry the floor as well?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 8 Jun 2015 02:55:21 +0000 (UTC), danny burstein
wrote:

You didn't say how large the basement is, but let's
call it 20 feet by 40 by 5 feet of water.

That would be... 4000 cubic feet - 30,000 gallons.

At 20 gals/minute that's 1,500 minutes, or 25 hours.

[a] that was the number listed on our unit's box. And while
I haven't actively confirmed it, that certainly looks
about right.

If you have that much, call the fire department. In some towns they
will pump it out for you.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/7/2015 10:16 PM, Oren wrote:

I can't say. HF has 120V pumps to remove water.

This one is used for draining pools.

_How to make a Portable Clean-Up Pump to Vacuum out a Pool _

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bU8No8Jfjrw

My parents house cellar used to take water
every few years. I bought a 1/2 HP pump
and 75 feet of discharge hose. Since that
time, the cellar has not flooded. But I did
use the pump once. Still have it. Mostly
curious as to prices of cellar pumping.

-
..
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
.. www.lds.org
..
..

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/7/2015 10:55 PM, danny burstein wrote:
A 20 or so gallon/minute sump pump, which would work for this modulo leaving
a half inch or so, is about $75 at any of the standard sources. [a]

You didn't say how large the basement is, but let's
call it 20 feet by 40 by 5 feet of water.

That would be... 4000 cubic feet - 30,000 gallons.

At 20 gals/minute that's 1,500 minutes, or 25 hours.

[a] that was the number listed on our unit's box. And while
I haven't actively confirmed it, that certainly looks
about right.

I asked Ed, who was the man who called me last
night. It's Jim's cellar, and Ed didn't know if
there was an inch of water, or a foot, or how
deep. That's one wild card. If it's a foot, then
my half HP sump will take several hours. Might
need to set up the pump, and return hours later.
Wish I had more information.

-
..
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
.. www.lds.org
..
..
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/8/2015 5:15 AM, R. P. McMurphy wrote:

I don't know of any business that can deliver even a trunk monkey for
less than $50/hr.

CY: I'm sure you are correct.

Does the client expect puddles to be removed with a shop vac?

CY: Don't know.

Do they want a blow job to dry the floor as well?

CY: Don't know. If they want a blow dry, there better
be some windows and doors to air exchange.

Thank you. I'd not thought of those questions.
We are expecting rain this week, might be more
water in Jim's cellar.

-
..
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
.. www.lds.org
..
..
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/8/2015 5:58 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

If you have that much, call the fire department. In some towns they
will pump it out for you.

Totally worth a call. Why we pay taxes after all.
Jim is in a city, not sure about the FD. But what
is the harm to ask?

-
..
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
.. www.lds.org
..
..

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, June 8, 2015 at 7:27:54 AM UTC-4, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 6/7/2015 10:16 PM, Oren wrote:

I can't say. HF has 120V pumps to remove water.

This one is used for draining pools.

_How to make a Portable Clean-Up Pump to Vacuum out a Pool _

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bU8No8Jfjrw

My parents house cellar used to take water
every few years. I bought a 1/2 HP pump
and 75 feet of discharge hose. Since that
time, the cellar has not flooded. But I did
use the pump once. Still have it. Mostly
curious as to prices of cellar pumping.

By now Stormin would have pointed out that you can't
pump a cellar, you can only pump water. But then it's
his thread.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/8/2015 7:34 AM, trader_4 wrote:
On Monday, June 8, 2015 at 7:27:54 AM UTC-4, Stormin Mormon wrote:
use the pump once. Still have it. Mostly
curious as to prices of cellar pumping.

By now Stormin would have pointed out that you can't
pump a cellar, you can only pump water. But then it's
his thread.

I'm also hoping that it didn't damage Jim's
hot water heater. Nor his hot air furnace.

-
..
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
.. www.lds.org
..
..
Posted to alt.home.repair

In ,
Stormin Mormon typed:
Got a call from a friend, another family has a
cellar with water in it. Wants to pay me to pump
the water out. I've never paid for cellar water
pumping.

Who's paid for cellar pumping, and what's the
going rate?

I have no idea of the going rate.

From your later posts, you don't have any idea of how much water, how deep
it is, how the water got there, etc. And, if you were to use some type of
sump pump with a float to shut it off when the water level gets too low, you
would need to know if there is a low spot where you could place the pump.
Otherwise, you'll still end up with water still in the basement that the
pump can't pump out.

If the cause of the flooding is a broken pipe or other issue that happens to
be covered by the homeowner's insurance policy, he could file a claim and
let the insurance company pay a restoration company to pump out the water,
do the drying and cleanup to prevent mold, and repair any damage.

A handyman friend of mine borrowed a pump that I had so he could pump water
out of someone's basement caused by a broken water heater. My pump didn't
have a float switch, so I told him to watch the pump and shut it off when
the water level got too low and it began pumping air. He didn't do that and
he burned out my pump -- duh.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Cellar pumping prices (followup)

In ,
Stormin Mormon typed:
On 6/8/2015 10:16 AM, TomR wrote:
From your later posts, you don't have any idea of how much water,
how deep it is, how the water got there, etc. And, if you were to
use some type of sump pump with a float to shut it off when the
water level gets too low, you would need to know if there is a low
spot where you could place the pump. . . . ,

Last night, after a couple other calls, I did manage
to get to the house, and see first hand what was
going on. About half the cellar had water, and that
was about an inch and a half deep. The water was
black, and opaque. Even with a flash light, could
not see through the water.

Fortunately, there was a sump pump crock where
I was able to locate my sump pump. The blue
discharge hose is very sensetive to folding and
kinking, shuts down the water flow when that
happens. 75 feet of discharge hose was enough
to get the water out the cellar, and nearly to
the street.

The people said they had a relative come in with
a powered drain snake, but that snake got caught
on some thing and the belt slipped.

After I pumped out what we could get, she asked if
they could do laundry. I asked them to try the
faucet in the laundry sink. They did, and the water
promptly came up the floor drain. I suggested they
try the drain snake again, as the drain was still
clogged.

There is still some water, maybe a few galons. A
wet and dry shop vac (which I didn't have) would
do that. Or a mop and buckets.

I still don't know what cellar pumping costs, so
I used my labor rate from another trade.

Got it. At least you now know what the scope of the problem was and what
the cause is. Since the water is backing up through the floor drain, they
obviously have a drain line problem. I think they should have a
professional drain cleaning company come out and do a drain cleanout. It
will probably save them money in the long run since the equipment and people
they have now weren't able to clear the drain.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/9/2015 4:02 PM, TomR wrote:
In ,
Stormin Mormon typed:

After I pumped out what we could get, she asked if
they could do laundry. I asked them to try the
faucet in the laundry sink. They did, and the water
promptly came up the floor drain. I suggested they
try the drain snake again, as the drain was still
clogged.

Got it. At least you now know what the scope of the problem was and what
the cause is. Since the water is backing up through the floor drain, they
obviously have a drain line problem. I think they should have a
professional drain cleaning company come out and do a drain cleanout. It
will probably save them money in the long run since the equipment and people
they have now weren't able to clear the drain.

I think that makes a lot of sense. My guess is that
they will go to the rental place again. Second guess
is that I'll never hear back and will never know.

-
..
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
.. www.lds.org
..
..

Washing Machine in Cellar: pumping waste RJH[_2_] UK diy 20 October 5th 13 09:48 PM
CH Pumping Over John UK diy 7 December 29th 07 07:04 PM
Pumping over [email protected] UK diy 11 September 6th 06 12:22 AM
Saniflo pumping [email protected] UK diy 1 July 31st 06 08:00 PM
winer cellar in house with no cellar Fred UK diy 12 November 24th 04 12:25 AM