DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   OT/Remember Net Neutrality (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/382536-ot-remember-net-neutrality.html)

ChairMan[_6_] April 18th 15 11:26 PM

OT/Remember Net Neutrality

Remember how Net Neutrality wasn't going to raise prices?

http://hotair.com/archives/2015/04/1...ign=h aupdate

Oren[_2_] April 19th 15 06:04 PM

OT/Remember Net Neutrality

On Sat, 18 Apr 2015 17:26:27 -0500, "ChairMan"
wrote:

Remember how Net Neutrality wasn't going to raise prices?

When the government get its grubby little hands on the money bag, they
will not let go. We still pay taxes to pay for the War of Northern
Aggression ... never repealed, yet that I know of..

Wimpy: ""Cook me up a hamburger. I'll pay you Thursday." In 1932, this
then became the famous "I'll gladly pay you Tuesday for a hamburger
today". This phrase is now commonly used to illustrate financial
irresponsibility..."

Col. Edmund Burke[_5_] April 19th 15 08:48 PM

Remember Net Neutrality

wrote:

Remember how Net Neutrality wasn't going to raise prices?

Wimpy: ""Cook me up a hamburger. I'll pay you Thursday." In 1932, this
then became the famous "I'll gladly pay you Tuesday for a hamburger
today". This phrase is now commonly used to illustrate financial
irresponsibility..."

Oren uses "net neutrality" to defend against homosexual attacks in his rear
entrace.
LOL

Checkmate[_2_] April 19th 15 09:01 PM

Remember Net Neutrality

In article ,
says...

wrote:

Remember how Net Neutrality wasn't going to raise prices?

Wimpy: ""Cook me up a hamburger. I'll pay you Thursday." In 1932, this
then became the famous "I'll gladly pay you Tuesday for a hamburger
today". This phrase is now commonly used to illustrate financial
irresponsibility..."

Oren uses "net neutrality" to defend against homosexual attacks in his rear
entrace.
LOL

Yeah... LOL

--
Checkmate
"Usenet, without a net!" (TM)

Frank[_23_] April 20th 15 01:45 AM

OT/Remember Net Neutrality

wrote:

Remember how Net Neutrality wasn't going to raise prices?

When the government get its grubby little hands on the money bag, they
will not let go. We still pay taxes to pay for the War of Northern
Aggression ... never repealed, yet that I know of..

Wimpy: ""Cook me up a hamburger. I'll pay you Thursday." In 1932, this
then became the famous "I'll gladly pay you Tuesday for a hamburger
today". This phrase is now commonly used to illustrate financial
irresponsibility..."

No government ever voluntarily reduces itself in size. Government
programs, once launched, never disappear. Actually, a government bureau
is the nearest thing to eternal life we'll ever see on this earth!

Ronald Reagan

bob haller April 20th 15 01:57 AM

OT/Remember Net Neutrality

What lead to the above boogy man and similar was just some broadband
providers thinking about charging content providers that use a lot of
their bandwith some service fees. Sounds very consumer friendly to me.
I don't stream from Netflix and Amazon, why should my broadband fees
have to help cover the infrastructure that's being consumed by those
other users? It's very much like cell phone companies, where 5% of
the users consume 80% of the bandwith. The cell phone companies figured
out ways to deal with that too.

because the broadband providers happen to be TV providers too.

So they can charge netflix and others so much so no one will have a opportunity to find a competive tv provider:(

Kurt Ullman April 20th 15 12:25 PM

OT/Remember Net Neutrality

In article ,
wrote:

The FIOS companies are already starting to offer mini packages of
closely related shows, so you don't need to buy 250 channels, just to
get ESPN2 because it is in the top tier.

We'll see how that works out. Disney has already said that what Verizon
wants to do is against their contract and they will hold V to the
contract.
but what they conceal is vital."
-- Aaron Levenstein

trader_4 April 20th 15 02:50 PM

OT/Remember Net Neutrality

On Sunday, April 19, 2015 at 8:57:45 PM UTC-4, bob haller wrote:
What lead to the above boogy man and similar was just some broadband
providers thinking about charging content providers that use a lot of
their bandwith some service fees. Sounds very consumer friendly to me.
I don't stream from Netflix and Amazon, why should my broadband fees
have to help cover the infrastructure that's being consumed by those
other users? It's very much like cell phone companies, where 5% of
the users consume 80% of the bandwith. The cell phone companies figured
out ways to deal with that too.

because the broadband providers happen to be TV providers too.

So they can charge netflix and others so much so no one will have a opportunity to find a competive tv provider:(

That's a valid point, *if* it ever started to happen, ie where those
companies were charging prices that blocked Netlfix. Nothing I've
seen shows that it was though. And if they did, antitrust laws already
exist, or they could have passed something to only address that potential,
narrow, overcharging problem. What they did instead is to ban charging
high bandwith providers anything at all. Which means I'm paying for
the infrastructure to support the streaming video customers.

Oren[_2_] April 20th 15 07:24 PM

OT/Remember Net Neutrality

wrote:

Remember how Net Neutrality wasn't going to raise prices?

When the government get its grubby little hands on the money bag, they
will not let go. We still pay taxes to pay for the War of Northern
Aggression ... never repealed, yet that I know of..

Wimpy: ""Cook me up a hamburger. I'll pay you Thursday." In 1932, this
then became the famous "I'll gladly pay you Tuesday for a hamburger
today". This phrase is now commonly used to illustrate financial
irresponsibility..."

No government ever voluntarily reduces itself in size. Government
programs, once launched, never disappear. Actually, a government bureau
is the nearest thing to eternal life we'll ever see on this earth!

Ronald Reagan

Congress raided the federal CSRS retirement money pot. Spent money
the way they do. Instead of putting the money taken, back into the
system, They passed laws establishing the FERS system. I hung tight.