DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Bosch Daredevil Spade Bits (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/379148-bosch-daredevil-spade-bits.html)

Pavel314[_2_] February 16th 15 02:15 PM

Bosch Daredevil Spade Bits

I bought a set of Bosch Daredevil spade bits. Unlike the spade bits I've been using for many years, they have a threaded starter point in the middle instead of just a flat triangular piece.

http://www.bobvila.com/articles/1829.../#.VOH7TWso75o

I've tried using them a few times on 2X4's and other soft wood but the threaded center point goes into the wood faster than the spade bit edge can cut the hole and it binds up.

Does anyone know the trick to use these successfully?

Paul

Col. Edmund Burke[_7_] February 16th 15 02:34 PM

Bosch Daredevil Spade Bits

"Pavel314" wrote in message
I bought a set of Bosch Daredevil spade bits. Unlike the spade bits I've
been using for many years, they have a threaded starter point in the middle
instead of just a flat triangular piece.

http://www.bobvila.com/articles/1829.../#.VOH7TWso75o

I've tried using them a few times on 2X4's and other soft wood but the
threaded center point goes into the wood faster than the spade bit edge
can cut the hole and it binds up.

Does anyone know the trick to use these successfully?

Paul

Hire a real carpenter.

rbowman February 16th 15 02:42 PM

Bosch Daredevil Spade Bits

Pavel314 wrote:

I've tried using them a few times on 2X4's and other soft wood but the
threaded center point goes into the wood faster than the spade bit edge
can cut the hole and it binds up.

Does anyone know the trick to use these successfully?

What sort of drill motor are you using? The bits are designed to cut fast
and you need enough power to bull it through.

Tony Hwang February 16th 15 03:07 PM

Bosch Daredevil Spade Bits

rbowman wrote:
Pavel314 wrote:

I've tried using them a few times on 2X4's and other soft wood but the
threaded center point goes into the wood faster than the spade bit edge
can cut the hole and it binds up.

Does anyone know the trick to use these successfully?

What sort of drill motor are you using? The bits are designed to cut fast
and you need enough power to bull it through.

Hi,
+1. My drill does not have problem. Never binds.

Col. Edmund Burke[_7_] February 16th 15 04:39 PM

Bosch Daredevil Spade Bits

"Tony Hwang" wrote in message
rbowman wrote:
Pavel314 wrote:

I've tried using them a few times on 2X4's and other soft wood but the
threaded center point goes into the wood faster than the spade bit edge
can cut the hole and it binds up.

Does anyone know the trick to use these successfully?

What sort of drill motor are you using? The bits are designed to cut fast
and you need enough power to bull it through.

Hi,
+1. My drill does not have problem. Never binds.

That's 'cause yer a wanger.

Oren[_2_] February 16th 15 05:26 PM

Bosch Daredevil Spade Bits

On Mon, 16 Feb 2015 08:07:17 -0700, Tony Hwang
wrote:

rbowman wrote:
Pavel314 wrote:

I've tried using them a few times on 2X4's and other soft wood but the
threaded center point goes into the wood faster than the spade bit edge
can cut the hole and it binds up.

Does anyone know the trick to use these successfully?

What sort of drill motor are you using? The bits are designed to cut fast
and you need enough power to bull it through.

Hi,
+1. My drill does not have problem. Never binds.

OP's link states:

"The one caveat is that you’ll need to make sure your driver is ready
for the task."

John G[_8_] February 16th 15 08:19 PM

Bosch Daredevil Spade Bits

I bought a set of Bosch Daredevil spade bits. Unlike the spade bits I've been using for many years, they have a threaded starter point in the middle instead of just a flat triangular piece.

http://www.bobvila.com/articles/1829.../#.VOH7TWso75o

I've tried using them a few times on 2X4's and other soft wood but the threaded center point goes into the wood faster than the spade bit edge can cut the hole and it binds up.

Does anyone know the trick to use these successfully?

Paul

*I have been using those bits for several years and never had a problem. I tend to pull my drill back a few times when drilling to clean out the hole as I go along. I usually use my Porter Cable battery powered pistol drill/hammer drill with these bits.

John Grabowski
http://www.MrElectrician.TV

Meanie[_4_] February 17th 15 02:23 AM

Bosch Daredevil Spade Bits

On 2/16/2015 9:15 AM, Pavel314 wrote:
I bought a set of Bosch Daredevil spade bits. Unlike the spade bits I've been using for many years, they have a threaded starter point in the middle instead of just a flat triangular piece.

http://www.bobvila.com/articles/1829.../#.VOH7TWso75o

I've tried using them a few times on 2X4's and other soft wood but the threaded center point goes into the wood faster than the spade bit edge can cut the hole and it binds up.

Does anyone know the trick to use these successfully?

Paul

I use those bits with my 18v Dewalt cordless hammer drill and never have
a problem. I do notice the threaded tip "pulling" the bit into the word
but I don't have a problem controlling the plunge.