Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Bosch Daredevil Spade Bits

I bought a set of Bosch Daredevil spade bits. Unlike the spade bits I've been using for many years, they have a threaded starter point in the middle instead of just a flat triangular piece.

http://www.bobvila.com/articles/1829.../#.VOH7TWso75o

I've tried using them a few times on 2X4's and other soft wood but the threaded center point goes into the wood faster than the spade bit edge can cut the hole and it binds up.

Does anyone know the trick to use these successfully?

Paul
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Pavel314" wrote in message
I bought a set of Bosch Daredevil spade bits. Unlike the spade bits I've
been using for many years, they have a threaded starter point in the middle
instead of just a flat triangular piece.

http://www.bobvila.com/articles/1829.../#.VOH7TWso75o

I've tried using them a few times on 2X4's and other soft wood but the
threaded center point goes into the wood faster than the spade bit edge
can cut the hole and it binds up.

Does anyone know the trick to use these successfully?

Paul

Hire a real carpenter.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Pavel314 wrote:

I've tried using them a few times on 2X4's and other soft wood but the
threaded center point goes into the wood faster than the spade bit edge
can cut the hole and it binds up.

Does anyone know the trick to use these successfully?

What sort of drill motor are you using? The bits are designed to cut fast
and you need enough power to bull it through.

Posted to alt.home.repair

rbowman wrote:
Pavel314 wrote:

I've tried using them a few times on 2X4's and other soft wood but the
threaded center point goes into the wood faster than the spade bit edge
can cut the hole and it binds up.

Does anyone know the trick to use these successfully?

What sort of drill motor are you using? The bits are designed to cut fast
and you need enough power to bull it through.

Hi,
+1. My drill does not have problem. Never binds.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Tony Hwang" wrote in message
news
rbowman wrote:
Pavel314 wrote:

I've tried using them a few times on 2X4's and other soft wood but the
threaded center point goes into the wood faster than the spade bit edge
can cut the hole and it binds up.

Does anyone know the trick to use these successfully?

What sort of drill motor are you using? The bits are designed to cut fast
and you need enough power to bull it through.

Hi,
+1. My drill does not have problem. Never binds.

That's 'cause yer a wanger.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 16 Feb 2015 08:07:17 -0700, Tony Hwang
wrote:

rbowman wrote:
Pavel314 wrote:

I've tried using them a few times on 2X4's and other soft wood but the
threaded center point goes into the wood faster than the spade bit edge
can cut the hole and it binds up.

Does anyone know the trick to use these successfully?

What sort of drill motor are you using? The bits are designed to cut fast
and you need enough power to bull it through.

Hi,
+1. My drill does not have problem. Never binds.

OP's link states:

"The one caveat is that you’ll need to make sure your driver is ready
for the task."
Posted to alt.home.repair

I bought a set of Bosch Daredevil spade bits. Unlike the spade bits I've been using for many years, they have a threaded starter point in the middle instead of just a flat triangular piece.

http://www.bobvila.com/articles/1829.../#.VOH7TWso75o

I've tried using them a few times on 2X4's and other soft wood but the threaded center point goes into the wood faster than the spade bit edge can cut the hole and it binds up.

Does anyone know the trick to use these successfully?

Paul

*I have been using those bits for several years and never had a problem. I tend to pull my drill back a few times when drilling to clean out the hole as I go along. I usually use my Porter Cable battery powered pistol drill/hammer drill with these bits.

John Grabowski
http://www.MrElectrician.TV
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/16/2015 9:15 AM, Pavel314 wrote:
I bought a set of Bosch Daredevil spade bits. Unlike the spade bits I've been using for many years, they have a threaded starter point in the middle instead of just a flat triangular piece.

http://www.bobvila.com/articles/1829.../#.VOH7TWso75o

I've tried using them a few times on 2X4's and other soft wood but the threaded center point goes into the wood faster than the spade bit edge can cut the hole and it binds up.

Does anyone know the trick to use these successfully?

Paul

I use those bits with my 18v Dewalt cordless hammer drill and never have
a problem. I do notice the threaded tip "pulling" the bit into the word
but I don't have a problem controlling the plunge.