DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Do they make a fire-hose type of garden hose? (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/379121-do-they-make-fire-hose-type-garden-hose.html)

[email protected] February 10th 15 11:04 AM

Do they make a fire-hose type of garden hose?

Do they make a fire-hose type of garden hose?

It seems to me that I've seen something like that advertised, but cant
find it now.

I'm on a farm, and I have to fill water tanks for livestock in the
winter. That means keeping hoses in the house, then dragging them
outdoors to fill tanks, and as soon as they get cold, they get real
stiff and are a big pain to use.

I completely gave up on all plastic hoses, which get VERY stiff, and
bought expensive rubber hoses. They too get stiff, but not as badly.
But they get heavy when I have to haul 2 or 3 fifty footers at once, and
it's amazing how they manage to get stuck on clumps of ice or frozen
snow, which quickly makes me cuss.

Hose reels are worthless in the cold. The hoses are just too stiff to
wind up, and most of the time I'm too cold to screw around with a reel
anyhow.

I know the real Fire Hoses are heavy, but they are 2 or 3 inch diameter
hoses. I would think that a cloth covered 5/8" or 3/4" hose would be
much lighter than solid rubber and would not get nearly as stiff. (And
might even easily wind onto a reel).

Does anyone know where they sell these (If they do)?

Thanks

micky February 10th 15 11:55 AM

On Tue, 10 Feb 2015 05:04:20 -0600, wrote:

Do they make a fire-hose type of garden hose?

It seems to me that I've seen something like that advertised, but cant
find it now.

I'm on a farm, and I have to fill water tanks for livestock in the

I don't know, but what do your farmer friends do? If you don't have
any farmer friends you should make some. Join the Grange, 4H, or
whatever.

Or what do they suggest at farm stores like Tractor Supply or Southern
States?

There are 1000 hits in Tractor Supply for hose, but only 133 for water
hose.
http://www.tractorsupply.com/webapp/...beginInd ex=0

http://www.southernstates.com/catalo...ort=5*ava=0%5D

(Maybe these aren't real farm stores, and that only look that way to a
city-lubber like me?)

Most are definitely not what you want, but what about asking at a store?

trader_4 February 10th 15 01:36 PM

On Tuesday, February 10, 2015 at 6:08:56 AM UTC-5, wrote:
[...]

A google search for "garden hose" quickly produced this:

http://www.improvementscatalog.com/i...AhQ&redirect=y

That link probably wouldn't work, but google will.

dpb February 10th 15 03:46 PM

On 02/10/2015 5:04 AM, wrote:

I'm on a farm, and I have to fill water tanks for livestock in the
winter. That means keeping hoses in the house, then dragging them
outdoors to fill tanks, and as soon as they get cold, they get real
stiff and are a big pain to use.

I've commented before but will again...you're looking for a solution to
the wrong problem--the answer is to run water lines to one or a set of
waterers instead.

I forget where you are located or if you've ever indicated but if you're
interested, we've downsized/retired and I've several Ritchie waterers
that I've decided may as well finally sell, keeping only one in the main
lot and perhaps another in one of the cutting pens. That leaves three
could part with. They're older but fully functional with only a
replacement float probably required. They have 110V heaters so don't
even have to break ice...

Oren[_2_] February 10th 15 05:29 PM

SMS February 10th 15 05:40 PM

On 2/10/2015 3:04 AM, wrote:
Do they make a fire-hose type of garden hose?

Yes.

It seems to me that I've seen something like that advertised, but cant
find it now.

See
http://www.baileysonline.com/Forestry-Woodcutting/Fire-Fighting/Fire-Hoses/Econoflo-100-of-3-4-Lightweight-GHT-Fire-Hose---each.axd

The other option is to buy an 1" hose with NPSH fittings, and then buy
NPSH to GPT adapters.

NPSH Male to NPSH Female 50' Hose $104
http://www.firehosedirect.com/1-forestry-fire-hose/

1" Female NPSH to 3/4" Male GHT
http://www.firehosedirect.com/aluminum-1-female-npsh-to-3-4-male-ght/

1" Male NPSH to 3/4" Female GHT
http://www.firehosedirect.com/aluminum-female-ght-to-1-male-npsh/

You're going to end up spending $150 for a 50' hose with the latter
option but it's probably a better hose.

SMS February 10th 15 07:28 PM

On 2/10/2015 3:04 AM, wrote:
[...]

Also a 50' version
http://www.baileysonline.com/Forestry-Woodcutting/Fire-Fighting/Fire-Hoses/Econoflo-50-of-3-4-Lightweight-GHT-Fire-Hose---each.axd.

philo February 11th 15 12:41 AM

On 02/10/2015 09:46 AM, dpb wrote:
On 02/10/2015 5:04 AM, wrote:

I'm on a farm, and I have to fill water tanks for livestock in the
winter. That means keeping hoses in the house, then dragging them
outdoors to fill tanks, and as soon as they get cold, they get real
stiff and are a big pain to use.

I've commented before but will again...you're looking for a solution to
the wrong problem--the answer is to run water lines to one or a set of
waterers instead.

sheesh, just bring the animals into the house!