Posted to alt.home.repair

Default What are the electrical code requirements for snow forts?

What are the electrical code requirements for snow forts?

http://www.theloop.ca/ctvnews/why-on...fety-hazard-2/

Also discussed just now on As It Happens,
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/22/15 11:36 PM, micky wrote:

What are the electrical code requirements for snow forts?

http://www.theloop.ca/ctvnews/why-on...fety-hazard-2/

Also discussed just now on As It Happens,

Sizing the HVAC looks to a bit tricky.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, January 22, 2015 at 10:36:08 PM UTC-6, micky wrote:
What are the electrical code requirements for snow forts?

http://www.theloop.ca/ctvnews/why-on...fety-hazard-2/

Also discussed just now on As It Happens,

Plese give us a website that is accessible for those of us who still use Windows XP because we are cheap, don't like newer USoft products, etc.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 22 Jan 2015 21:48:56 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

On Thursday, January 22, 2015 at 10:36:08 PM UTC-6, micky wrote:
What are the electrical code requirements for snow forts?

http://www.theloop.ca/ctvnews/why-on...fety-hazard-2/

Also discussed just now on As It Happens,

Plese give us a website that is accessible for those of us who still use Windows XP because we are cheap, don't like newer USoft products, etc.

I still use XP myself, and it worked for me.

But you could search on montreal snow fort hazard and you will probably
find other links. Don't search for electrical code. I made that up.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Thursday, January 22, 2015 at 10:36:08 PM UTC-6, micky wrote:
What are the electrical code requirements for snow forts?

http://www.theloop.ca/ctvnews/why-on...fety-hazard-2/

Also discussed just now on As It Happens,

Plese give us a website that is accessible for those of us who still use Windows XP because we are cheap, don't like newer USoft products, etc.

I am running XP and I had no problem seeing the article.

Come to think, I don't think OS matters, unless one uses IE, where the
last version to work is IE8 iirc.

All the other browsers are still compatible with XP, up to the current
versions of them.

So if HR is still using IE, this by far won't be the only url to give
him/you problem.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 22 Jan 2015 23:58:14 -0500, wrote:

On Thu, 22 Jan 2015 23:36:05 -0500, micky
wrote:

What are the electrical code requirements for snow forts?

http://www.theloop.ca/ctvnews/why-on...fety-hazard-2/

Also discussed just now on As It Happens,

If the wiring method is protected from physical damage, the equipment
is listed for wet locations and it is on a GFCI, you can wire the hell
out of your snow fort.

Unfortunately that was not the issue here. It sounds like they built
in the street. The wires need to run 18' over the road or 2 feet under
it.

The radio interview covered more thiings. It was on his lawn, two feet
from the street, but the city owns 6 feet from the street. The house
I lived in from 1957 to 64 was like that. For 2 miles, some people
planted bushes right near the road, and others planned ahead and planted
them 10 or 15 feet back. . Now it's 2014, the township has never
widened the road, never cut down a bush. It was sort of a main road,
but traffic didn't increase much. Meridian Street is pretty wide and
other roads go in the same direction and they built an expressway a
couple miles west.

More reflective of the actual article.
If they are not in the road why would a snow plow be hitting it?

They must have worked really hard to do that. The city had sent him two
warnings about the snow fort, but now the mayor says hitting it was an
accident.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 01/23/2015 02:43 AM, micky wrote:
The radio interview covered more thiings. It was on his lawn, two feet
from the street, but the city owns 6 feet from the street.

He endangered his children by building the snow fort so close to the street.
Why doesn't the government do something to protect these innocent children?
It's for the kids, dammit!
Someone somewhere needs to be sued!
Posted to alt.home.repair

Duhh.. He built the thing on PUBLIC property! If he has any sized
piece of yard, he could have just built it there and there would be
no problem!
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

What are the electrical code requirements for snow forts?

http://www.theloop.ca/ctvnews/why-on...fety-hazard-2/

Also discussed just now on As It Happens,

If the wiring method is protected from physical damage, the equipment
is listed for wet locations and it is on a GFCI, you can wire the hell
out of your snow fort.

Unfortunately that was not the issue here. It sounds like they built
in the street. The wires need to run 18' over the road or 2 feet under
it.

More reflective of the actual article.
If they are not in the road why would a snow plow be hitting it?

Next time you see a snow plow going by, go stand on the curb as it goes by. Then
get back to us with your report.

Posted to alt.home.repair

writes:
On Fri, 23 Jan 2015 02:43:21 -0500, micky
wrote:

The radio interview covered more thiings. It was on his lawn, two feet
from the street, but the city owns 6 feet from the street. The house
I lived in from 1957 to 64 was like that. For 2 miles, some people
planted bushes right near the road, and others planned ahead and planted
them 10 or 15 feet back. . Now it's 2014, the township has never
widened the road, never cut down a bush. It was sort of a main road,
but traffic didn't increase much. Meridian Street is pretty wide and
other roads go in the same direction and they built an expressway a
couple miles west.

Usually the way it works is the government owns everything within "X"
feet from the centerline of the road (It is 33 feet in front of my
house). This is where the utilities are usually installed. Most people
treat it like their own, plant trees and such but when the plants
start endangering the infrastructure the utility or the government can
trim them or simply get rid of them. It is their land.
In fact you can refuse to maintain the grass there if you want and the
government will have to come cut it for you but they may not be on
your schedule. I am also not sure how they could make you shovel the
snow on the sidewalk in front of your house. It is not your land, it
is theirs.

Isn't it technically a "public easement", i.e. you own the land,
but the city/county/state has access rights for certain
purposes including utilities.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 01/22/2015 10:36 PM, micky wrote:

What are the electrical code requirements for snow forts?

http://www.theloop.ca/ctvnews/why-on...fety-hazard-2/

Also discussed just now on As It Happens,

That link leads to a 404 page.

--
"The universe may have a purpose, but nothing we know suggests that, if
so, this purpose has any similarity to ours." [Bertrand Russell]
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 23 Jan 2015 16:09:22 -0600, Sam E
wrote:

That link leads to a 404 page.

Did you try using a Windows based browser?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 23 Jan 2015 13:15:13 -0500, wrote:

On Fri, 23 Jan 2015 17:28:47 GMT,
(Scott Lurndal)

wrote:

[...]

That wasn't an issue where I lived, because we had no sidewalks! No
one walked on the street. In fact maybe no one walked. I forget where
I walked (3 houses to the school-bus stop.)

We had a fire hydrant on the border between our lot and the next door
neigbhors, but that 40 or 50 feet from the road! (The front yard was a
little over 100 feet deep.) Does the hydrant location imply that the
water mains were also that distance from the road? I would think so.

Isn't it technically a "public easement", i.e. you own the land,
but the city/county/state has access rights for certain
purposes including utilities.

I don't think so where we were.

In the townhouse where I am now, that's true But the HOA owns the road
too and the developer divided up the land as he saw fit. There is no
room to build more houses, so there will never be an increase in traffic
unless they lower the driving age below 16. Some front yards are only
about 10 feet deep, so the road can't be widened there. (Others are 30
feet deep.) An easement goes all around the ziggety-zaggety building
holding 8 houses, for neighbors to walk and move their lawn mowers from
back to front yards.

In the back, the cable company has untilty easement. In the front, the
water, electric, phone, and sewer companies have utility easements, and
the plat shows the easements, and shows my property all the way to the
curb (though it's narrowed to 10 feet iirc by then.) IIRC I have a
30th of an acre, including where the house is. ;-)

Not here or anywhere else I have ever lived.
If you look at my plat, it shows the property line about 10 feet from
the edge of the road.
When I was in Maryland this was pointed out to me when I wanted to
widen my driveway. That was the first time I was told that if I didn't
want to mow that grass, the county had to do it.
Here in Florida, we see a tractor with a bush hog come around about
once a month and they will mow the first 10' or so of any overgrown
lot. Then the code enforcement people ticket the homeowner if the rest
of the lot is not mowed. If there is already a judgement on that lot,
they mow the whole thing and bill the owner.

OT A couple blocks from here, they once mowed about 10 feet and billed
the owner of a farm, who had to convince them he was a farm and he was
growing hay, which he was. I suppose the county owed him for the hay
they cut prematurely, but they let that go. Used to grow corn, but the
couple was getting old.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

What are the electrical code requirements for snow forts?

http://www.theloop.ca/ctvnews/why-on...fety-hazard-2/

Also discussed just now on As It Happens,

More reflective of the actual article.
If they are not in the road why would a snow plow be hitting it?

The fort must have been 5 feet tall, but the city lowered it to 3 or 4
feet.

After more thought, I think most machinery could not plow at the 3 or 4
foot level two feet from the road, and if it could it would likely hit
mailboxes and surely be a danger to children if any in the fort.

So they must have gotten out of the truck and destroyed the top part by
hand. The mayor said it was an accident, so they must have done this
accidentally.

Posted to alt.home.repair

BTW, this is Quebec but he has a French name. Speaks English fluently
too.

On Fri, 23 Jan 2015 04:07:08 -0800 (PST), wrote:

Duhh.. He built the thing on PUBLIC property! If he has any sized
piece of yard,

I think the fort reached almost to his front door, that the yard was
only 10 feet deep or so, but the picture wasn't great.

he could have just built it there and there would be
no problem!

Still a problem. He is having a party this weekend, with something like
Facebook invitations, to rebuild it on his land only, and the mayor says
he can't do that either.

http://news.nationalpost.com/2015/01...safety-hazard/

Of course there is also this
Two young boys survive more than two hours trapped in snowbank after
plough accidentally buries them. (They were doing this at the edge of
a parking lot, not in their yard.)
http://news.nationalpost.com/2014/11...y-buries-them/
This: Ontario boy, 9, dies after he was found trapped under a collapsed
snowbank near his family’s farm, But few details and no statement any
fort was involved.
http://news.nationalpost.com/2014/02...-familys-farm/
And especiailly this one: Freedom sliders defy tobogganing bans in
defence of Canadians’ right to slide down hills But "The city banned
tobogganing on the hill shortly after it purchased the land in 2009 due
to insurance issues."“The hill was built as a toboggan hill. It was
designed as a toboggan hill. It will be used as a toboggan hill, and
just putting a sign up … tobogganing is going to be something people are
still going to do, short of putting up a concrete barrier.”
http://news.nationalpost.com/2015/01...ight-to-slide/

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

That link leads to a 404 page.

Did you try using a Windows based browser?

TWO of them. Both showed the same 404 page.

Actually a good thing here, since a difference would indicate something
wrong with the page or OS.

--
"The universe may have a purpose, but nothing we know suggests that, if
so, this purpose has any similarity to ours." [Bertrand Russell]
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 01/22/2015 10:36 PM, micky wrote:

What are the electrical code requirements for snow forts?

http://www.theloop.ca/ctvnews/why-on...fety-hazard-2/

Also discussed just now on As It Happens,

That link leads to a 404 page.

I got that too this time.

Heres an alternative
http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/why-one...zard-1.2200907
https://www.google.com/search?q=queb...iw=826&bih=488
Of course this includes any image that is on any page dealing with the
story.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montre...bvre-1.2927732
http://news.nationalpost.com/2015/01...safety-hazard/

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 01/22/2015 10:36 PM, micky wrote:

What are the electrical code requirements for snow forts?

http://www.theloop.ca/ctvnews/why-on...fety-hazard-2/

Also discussed just now on As It Happens,

That link leads to a 404 page.

I got that too this time.

Heres an alternative
http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/why-one...zard-1.2200907

"The open-air fort they ended up building is completely decked out,
including a couple of couches and a special relay area."

What's a relay area?

I know these web pages are more neutral than my OP. That's why the
companies that write them should be shut down.

https://www.google.com/search?q=queb...iw=826&bih=488
Of course this includes any image that is on any page dealing with the
story.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montre...bvre-1.2927732
http://news.nationalpost.com/2015/01...safety-hazard/

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

That link leads to a 404 page.

Did you try using a Windows based browser?

TWO of them. Both showed the same 404 page.

Actually a good thing here, since a difference would indicate something
wrong with the page or OS.

The enf of the link was clipped off.

Electrical requirements for tankless water heater Mikepier Home Repair 24 September 19th 14 04:14 PM
Minimum electrical requirements for a new condensing combi boilerinstall? Stephen H UK diy 6 April 2nd 12 06:16 PM
Gas dryer installation code requirements. Molly Brown Home Repair 5 February 20th 11 04:50 PM
electrical code Q les Home Repair 5 July 15th 05 02:22 AM
Cordless Electrical Snow Blower Bill Cotton Metalworking 9 March 12th 05 01:43 AM