Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Sourcing "Watch" Oil

A friend has convinced me that I need to use the same oil used for mechanical watches on a meter movement that is
sticking. He says the oil is MUCH thinner than 3-in-One or even sewing machine oil. It's ISO 8, if that means anything.
Does anyone know where I can find that oil?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/2/2015 7:44 PM, mcp6453 wrote:
A friend has convinced me that I need to use the same oil used for mechanical watches on a meter movement that is
sticking. He says the oil is MUCH thinner than 3-in-One or even sewing machine oil. It's ISO 8, if that means anything.
Does anyone know where I can find that oil?

Just google up "oil for watches".
Amazon sells it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/2/2015 8:21 PM, Frank wrote:
On 1/2/2015 7:44 PM, mcp6453 wrote:
A friend has convinced me that I need to use the same oil used for mechanical watches on a meter movement that is
sticking. He says the oil is MUCH thinner than 3-in-One or even sewing machine oil. It's ISO 8, if that means anything.
Does anyone know where I can find that oil?

Just google up "oil for watches".
Amazon sells it.

Darn if they don't. Thanks.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 02 Jan 2015 19:44:44 -0500, mcp6453 wrote:

A friend has convinced me that I need to use the same oil used for mechanical watches on a meter movement that is
sticking. He says the oil is MUCH thinner than 3-in-One or even sewing machine oil. It's ISO 8, if that means anything.
Does anyone know where I can find that oil?

.... sewing machine oil can be found by contacting a local seamstress,
shops that cater to wimin folk, What about gun oil?
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Oren" wrote in message
On Fri, 02 Jan 2015 19:44:44 -0500, mcp6453 wrote:

... sewing machine oil can be found by contacting a local seamstress,
shops that cater to wimin folk, What about gun oil?

Most gun oil is thicker.

---

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ralph Mowery wrote:

Most gun oil is thicker.

RemOil is a fairly light mineral oil. I don't know how much the teflon add
to the mix.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 02 Jan 2015 19:44:44 -0500, mcp6453 wrote:

A friend has convinced me that I need to use the same oil used for mechanical watches on a meter movement that is
sticking. He says the oil is MUCH thinner than 3-in-One or even sewing machine oil. It's ISO 8, if that means anything.
Does anyone know where I can find that oil?

Try using de-odorized kerosene. Not sure what ISO it is, but I know
several old guys who swear by it. An old clockmaker puts a wick of dok
in the clock case of antique clocks to keep the lubricant from drying
out.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/2/2015 6:31 PM, Oren wrote:
On Fri, 02 Jan 2015 19:44:44 -0500, mcp6453 wrote:

A friend has convinced me that I need to use the same oil used for mechanical watches on a meter movement that is
sticking. He says the oil is MUCH thinner than 3-in-One or even sewing machine oil. It's ISO 8, if that means anything.
Does anyone know where I can find that oil?

... sewing machine oil can be found by contacting a local seamstress,
shops that cater to wimin folk, What about gun oil?

For "gun oil", a good choice is ATF (automatic transmission fluid).

Posted to alt.home.repair

"DaveT" wrote in message ...
... sewing machine oil can be found by contacting a local seamstress,
shops that cater to wimin folk, What about gun oil?

For "gun oil", a good choice is ATF (automatic transmission fluid).

Most of the time I cut the ATF with kerosene to use as gun oil. Half and
half of each. For more info search for Ed's Red.

---

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/3/2015 11:09 AM, Ralph Mowery wrote:
"DaveT" wrote in message ...
... sewing machine oil can be found by contacting a local seamstress,
shops that cater to wimin folk, What about gun oil?

For "gun oil", a good choice is ATF (automatic transmission fluid).

Most of the time I cut the ATF with kerosene to use as gun oil. Half and
half of each. For more info search for Ed's Red.

I use Ed's Red - as a gun cleaner.

But this was about a lube, and ATF is what a lot people use as a gun lube.

---

Posted to alt.home.repair

"DaveT" wrote in message ...
On 1/3/2015 11:09 AM, Ralph Mowery wrote:

Most of the time I cut the ATF with kerosene to use as gun oil. Half and
half of each. For more info search for Ed's Red.

I use Ed's Red - as a gun cleaner.

But this was about a lube, and ATF is what a lot people use as a gun lube.

Read the whole thing. Ed recommends saving a small ammount of the ATF and
kerosene for oil.

Direct from Ed via the old FIDO net in 1994.

"I recommend diverting a small quantity, about 4 ozs. of the 50-50
ATF/kerosene for use as an "ER-compatible" gun oil. This can be
done without impairing the effectiveness of the resulting mix."

---

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/3/2015 1:21 PM, Ralph Mowery wrote:
"DaveT" wrote in message ...
On 1/3/2015 11:09 AM, Ralph Mowery wrote:

Most of the time I cut the ATF with kerosene to use as gun oil. Half and
half of each. For more info search for Ed's Red.

I use Ed's Red - as a gun cleaner.

But this was about a lube, and ATF is what a lot people use as a gun lube.

Read the whole thing. Ed recommends saving a small ammount of the ATF and
kerosene for oil.

Google "atf as gun oil" - lot's of people use it without cutting it,
just like I posted. It's a good widely used good gun oil, without cutting.

Putting a kerosene mixture into a watch? I don't think so.

http://www.ehow.com/list_8077455_lub...-kerosene.html

" Problems with Watches & Clocks
Using kerosene as a lubricant can cause more problems that it intends to
solve. When lubricating a watch or clock interior, the kerosene can
lubricate parts or cogs that don't need to be lubricated -- this
quickens the interior's movement and can increase wear and tear on the
device. The kerosene's liquid property also means that it can leak into
different parts of the watch or clock that can discolor frontal features
such as the dials or face. If the kerosene leaks into the wooden frame
of a clock, the wood can stain and appear dirty or discolored. "

Direct from Ed via the old FIDO net in 1994.

"I recommend diverting a small quantity, about 4 ozs. of the 50-50
ATF/kerosene for use as an "ER-compatible" gun oil. This can be
done without impairing the effectiveness of the resulting mix."

---

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 3 Jan 2015 13:09:31 -0500, "Ralph Mowery"
wrote:

"DaveT" wrote in message ...
... sewing machine oil can be found by contacting a local seamstress,
shops that cater to wimin folk, What about gun oil?

For "gun oil", a good choice is ATF (automatic transmission fluid).

Most of the time I cut the ATF with kerosene to use as gun oil. Half and
half of each. For more info search for Ed's Red.

I a found video - "pump grade" kerosene in not recommended.
Interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2OfaCCJjBEU

Many years ago we would put a quart of ATF in a vehicle fuel tank
(full) to clean fuel lines, carbs, etc, out (just a detergent) . We
even put kerosene in the engine oil to stop hydraulic lifter tapping
noise and to clean the lifter - then change the oil. The valve lifter
often didn't need adjustment, just crud washed out of the lifter and
lifter rods. My how things have changed