Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Removing 1.5 Acres of Bamboo in Towson, MD

replying to Elliott P , Bill N wrote:
Well I can see its been a long time since this thread was started, but you
may still be trying to get rid of that Bamboo.

What worked for me finally was to use SALT, yep salt. It soaks into the
soil and kills everything for several years (I think the Bible says 7
years). The salt continues to wash down into the soil with time though,
which is ideal for killing the Bamboo roots (which can be as much as 1 or
2 feet down), but lets ordinary grass grow on the surface in as little as
a year. Do not use road salt, since this usually contains an
anti-herbicide agent that neutralizes the harsh effect that salt usually
has on plants. Pure rock salt or sea salt can be purchased in 50 lb bags
from farm supply stores at about $4.50 per bag, which was economical
enough for me to treat about 1/2 acre of Bamboo. Must have used about
6000 lbs of the stuff to finally kill it all off, which comes to about
$540 for the treated 1/2 acre. If you are doing 1.5 acres, it might be
more economical to have someone deliver a big truckload to you directly.

The use of salt has far less of an environmental impact than herbicides,
since salt is naturally found in the soil anyway, and eventually the salt
will find itself back in the sea where it originally came from. Our
landscaper tried all kinds of herbicides that only a licensed professional
could even get, and the Bamboo just laughed at them (may have done some
surface kill, but then it just grew back from the deep roots). Not the
salt, which was found to be deadly (not a single stalk has grown back
after a year now).