Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Home entertainment

I have to switch back in forth between Charter and Direct TV/ATT every
couple of years to get the best offer.

Direct TV has sent me their "Exclusive Invitation" and it is time to
switch again. The promo package is 39.99 for all stations. The first
hitch is that the promo package is only for the channels....if I want
to hook those to a TV, I need an HD tuner. That cost another 5 bucks
per month. That's a 60$ /per year jump before I even get started.

Charter offers a pretty good deal for new subscribers, but they soak
you after the year promo is over. Charter Internet is much better
than ATT U-Verse, but I can do without if for a year to keep getting
it at the promo price.

I notice that Charter is currently offering to pay for early
termination fees up to $500! I hope they still have that offer next
year when I am ready to switch back.

Last time I switched fro Charter Internet to ATT Internet, I had to
buy a DSL modem. I am told that U-Verse is not the same as DSL. The
modem I bought from them last time is worthless to use this time.

I tried to repurpose the DSL modem to so I could have another wireless
point (and 4 ports) on the other side of the house, but the modem
would try to dial out once per minute which made it useless repurpose
as another switch port.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Seymore4Head" wrote in message

I have to switch back in forth between Charter and Direct TV/ATT every
couple of years to get the best offer.

Direct TV has sent me their "Exclusive Invitation" and it is time to
switch again. The promo package is 39.99 for all stations. The first
hitch is that the promo package is only for the channels....if I want
to hook those to a TV, I need an HD tuner. That cost another 5 bucks
per month. That's a 60$ /per year jump before I even get started.

I used Direct TV for close to six years. I finally got fed up with paying
for a ton of channels I never watched at a cost of close to $100/month and
dumped them in favor of streaming TV via Roku.

With Roku, I subscribe to Netflix and Acorn (my wife liked their Brit
mysteries). Netflix is about $8.00/month, Acorn $6.00. I had Hulu Plus
for a while but got tired of all the commercials it feeds you so dumped
them. Of course, we also have access to all the many free Roku channels.

That means my TV watching costs $14/month plus the amortizarion of the
$100 for two Roku devices (already recovered by dumping Direct TV). True,
I cannot view broadcast stations via Roku and we are too far away for a
realistic antenna. I don't miss them. I COULD have gotten them via Aereo
for around $7.00/month if the Supreme Court had not decided that their
recording of free, over the air signals and providing access to those
recordings was going to work a terrible hardship on the broadcast
companies.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 11 Dec 2014 07:07:53 -0500, "dadiOH"
wrote:

[...]

Local stations used to be free and paid for by ads. You would think
that local stations would be the first to jump at the chance to
broadcast over the Internet. The plan should be to reach the most
people.

There has to be a rea$on that you can't get local stations the same
way you could Hulu.

ENTERTAINMENT LIKE NO OTHER sailaja madireddy Metalworking 0 September 23rd 09 12:16 PM
in car entertainment Dave UK diy 11 May 27th 09 09:26 PM
Now you CAN HAVE entertainment 4 less and [email protected] Home Ownership 0 October 15th 07 03:23 AM
Entertainment Center from "Home Depot Plywood" thread - 5 attachments HerHusband Woodworking Plans and Photos 4 June 8th 07 05:18 AM
How to build platform to raise a home entertainment center inetnews.worldnet.att.net Woodworking 7 March 15th 04 03:24 PM