Posted to alt.home.repair

Default debating how to install an outdoor outlet

I would like to install an outlet on the front of my house. I can do
this a couple of ways. Since there is an outlet on the inside of the
house opposite of where I want to place the outdoor one, I could simply
drill a hole and tap into the one indoors. Problem is that my house is
sided with asbestos shingles and I really don't think it's a good idea
plus I am considering vinyl siding the house in the next few years.
Option two is more complicated, but I think more feasible in the long
term. My outdoor patio, which is screened in and attached to the house,
has an outdoor plug. This plug is on the opposite side of the house.
I'm thinking I could tap into it, run conduit around the foundation
attached at various spots and then end with the plug where I want it. I
would not have to go under doors and the benefit is that if I ever get
siding, none of that would have to be removed because it's below the
siding. I have one problem though and that is that I'm not sure how to
tap into the patio outlet. It lies about 6 feet from the outside of the
house within the screened in section of the patio. There's no way I
could go horizontal within the wall because there's studs between where
it lies and the outside. The goal would be to somehow get a wire
branched off from that plug to the foundation-- from there I can run the
conduit to where I want the outdoor plug.

The only other option I can think of, and I don't even know if it's
possible, is following through with the first option except drilling the
tap hole between the indoor plug, which lies a couple of feet above the
foundation, between the indoor junction box and foundation with the hole
exiting from the foundation. Being two feet higher would make the angle
quite steep and I'm not even sure I have a good enough drill to go
through that much foundation. The outlet though would still end up
attached to the foundation and not the siding.

Thanks,
Nonah
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/05/2014 07:17 AM, Nonah wrote:
[...]

Do you have a crawl space? If so, get crawling.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/05/2014 07:30 AM, Jack Goff wrote:
[...]

Good point, but no crawl space.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/05/2014 06:17 AM, Nonah wrote:
I would like to install an outlet on the front of my house. I can do
this a couple of ways. Since there is an outlet on the inside of the
house opposite of where I want to place the outdoor one, I could simply
drill a hole and tap into the one indoors. Problem is that my house is
sided with asbestos shingles and I really don't think it's a good idea
plus I am considering vinyl siding the house in the next few years.

No need to make things complicated, the above method will work fine.
(I did the same thing to my house about 20 years ago.)
If the shingles are simply those "tar-paper imitation brick" the
asbestos is impregnated in the tar and any minute amount you'd dislodge
would not be a health hazard.
Having an outlet there would pose no problem to vinyl siding.

Of course you will have a GFCI outlet and a weather proof box.

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, December 5, 2014 7:52:01 AM UTC-5, philo* wrote:
[...]

+1

I wouldn't let irrational fear of asbestos shingles stop me from doing
it the easy way. Asbestos is only dangerous if you don't handle it right.
If you take the proper and simple precautions, no reason you can't
drill a hole, install an outlet box. Nor would I worry about later
installing vinyl siding. Installers have to deal with outlets all the time, it's no big
deal. I'd definitely go that route, before running conduit/wiring all
around the foundation. Another option if he's going to put up vinyl in
a few years is to just wait.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 05 Dec 2014 07:46:15 -0500, Nonah wrote:

[...]

And I assume no basement.
What about the attic?
Where is the service panel?
Do you have an open slot in the panel?
The RIGHT way is a separate circuit for the outside outlet, run inside
the building envelope if possible. I'd go across the attic and run a
conduit down the outside wall - if and when you install vinyl siding,
pop the conduit loose, install the siding, and refasten.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 05 Dec 2014 06:51:55 -0600, philo* wrote:

[...]

I ASS u me it is the Johns Manville type asbestos cement siding he is
referring to.. Still no problem - wear a dust mask and wet the siding
if you are paranoid.
Senior Member

I didn't read this whole thread, but can you run a wire through your attic and install the outlet in the soffit of the roof overhang?

Or, would that create a problem with the outlet not being easily accessible enough?

Last edited by nestork : December 5th 14 at 06:35 PM
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, December 5, 2014 11:38:14 AM UTC-5, wrote:

My first concern would be whether there was enough room in that box on
the inside for another cable.
If it is the last one on a run, it is probably OK. If there is a cable
in and a cable out, the box is full.

In that case he might be able to locate the outside outlet so that
he could disconnect one of the cables that goes to the existing inside
box, run it to the outside, then run from the outside box back to the inside
box. That could work depending on how the cable runs, how long it is,
and the possible locations for the new outside box.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 05 Dec 2014 12:24:42 -0500, wrote:

[...]

Conduit is ugly. Even if it's the same color as the wall, it's ugly.

OP I put a floodlght in just by drilling through the wall behind where
the switch was going to be, which was one foot above the receptacle I
got the power from. Now I can lean out the window to change light bulbs
and no conduit needed. Neighbor's hired electricians who ran ugly
conduit from the porch light, and who sometimes disable the porch light
in the process.

I'd go with option one. IIAC everyone with asbestosis spent years
working with the stuff, or in factories that made the stuff,** Three
minutes driling one hole is not going to make enough to hurt you and you
could also tape a baggie over the spot where the drill is coming out.
Or you could pour water over the wall and the floor so the dust will be
caught by the water.

Even if you did breath some of the small amount of dust made, it would
just clog a few alveolae out of the 700 million you have.

I am not a dare-devil. I wear a dust mask every time I go in the atic,
to avoid breathing the fiberglass, even though after 25 years, I doubt
there is any still floating around. You could also wear a dust mask
while you drill the hole, even if it's not rated for asbestos. Maybe
those are expensive but it's only 3 minutes, not 20+ hours every week

When you put on the siding, you and unscrew the box and place the
siding.

**"[Asbestosis] usually occurs after high intensity and/or long-term
exposure to asbestos (particularly in those individuals working on the
production or end-use of products containing asbestos) and is therefore
regarded as an occupational lung disease. People with extensive
occupational exposure to the mining, manufacturing, handling, or removal
of asbestos are at risk of developing asbestosis.[1] Sufferers may
experience severe dyspnea (shortness of breath) and are at an increased
risk for certain malignancies, including lung cancer but especially
mesothelioma."

Be sure to use a GFI receptacle since the outlet will be outdoors,
unless by chance the circuit is already protected by GFI.

BTW, it would have been easier to read your post if you'd left a blank
line before each option,

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 5 Dec 2014 19:33:03 +0100, nestork
wrote:

I didn't read this whole thread, but can you run a wire through your
attic and install the outlet in the soffit of the roof overhang?

Good idea. Don't let my sarcasm make you think I don't mean that.

Or, would that create a problem with the outlet not being easily
accessible enough?

Then you could make it one of those dangling outlets.

They hang on the end of the cord, sometimes for two-wire receptacles
with a built-in switch.

I have a two story house and 3 steps up to the front door. I'd need it
to hang 10 feet. Maybe I could put a bird feeder on it.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob Bob is offline

On 12/5/2014 17:14, micky wrote:

Be sure to use a GFI receptacle since the outlet will be outdoors,
unless by chance the circuit is already protected by GFI.

If feasible, you may want to put the GFI outlet inside the house and
have it feed the outdoor outlet. Even with a weatherproof cover, GFI
outlets have a higher failure rate when used outdoors than they do indoors.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 05 Dec 2014 17:40:09 -0800, Bob wrote:

On 12/5/2014 17:14, micky wrote:

Be sure to use a GFI receptacle since the outlet will be outdoors,
unless by chance the circuit is already protected by GFI.

If feasible, you may want to put the GFI outlet inside the house and
have it feed the outdoor outlet. Even with a weatherproof cover, GFI
outlets have a higher failure rate when used outdoors than they do indoors.

Youre right. I only remembered that there was a hole in option 1, and
I've forgotten what was at the inside end of the hole. If a receptacle,
he should make that one GFI. Unless it's the refrigerator.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/5/2014 17:14, micky wrote:

Be sure to use a GFI receptacle since the outlet will be outdoors,
unless by chance the circuit is already protected by GFI.

If feasible, you may want to put the GFI outlet inside the house and
have it feed the outdoor outlet. Even with a weatherproof cover, GFI
outlets have a higher failure rate when used outdoors than they do indoors.

Youre right. I only remembered that there was a hole in option 1, and
I've forgotten what was at the inside end of the hole. If a receptacle,
he should make that one GFI. Unless it's the refrigerator.

In which case he should NOT be connecting to it for an external
receptacle.
At least here in Waterloo Ontario a refrigerator requires it's own
circuit. As an electrician my Dad always also put exterior receptacles
on separate circuits (2 externals on one circuit on occaision, but
externals not on circuits with internal outlets.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/5/2014 8:14 PM, micky wrote:

I'd go with option one. IIAC everyone with asbestosis spent years
working with the stuff, or in factories that made the stuff,** Three
minutes driling one hole is not going to make enough to hurt you and you
could also tape a baggie over the spot where the drill is coming out.
Or you could pour water over the wall and the floor so the dust will be
caught by the water.

Agree. This is the only sensible option.

Asbestos takes years to be a problem. This is not going to be harmful
and while long term exposure to the dust is harmful, lawyers have blown
it way out of proportion.