Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Do hologens dim with age?

I have an overhead halogen fixture in the home office. It uses one of
those 300W double-ended halogen bulbs (118 mm).

I've had the fixture for a many years and have replaced the bulb 2-3
times. I never noticed that it got dimmer before it burned out. The past
few months, the light in that room has seemed dimmer. I thought it was
just my old eyes. But this morning the bulb burned out and I replaced
it. Now the room is bright like it used to be.

Do halogen bulbs dim with age?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/04/2014 10:27 AM, Jennifer Murphy wrote:
I have an overhead halogen fixture in the home office. It uses one of
those 300W double-ended halogen bulbs (118 mm).

I've had the fixture for a many years and have replaced the bulb 2-3
times. I never noticed that it got dimmer before it burned out. The past
few months, the light in that room has seemed dimmer. I thought it was
just my old eyes. But this morning the bulb burned out and I replaced
it. Now the room is bright like it used to be.

Do halogen bulbs dim with age?

Guess you answered your own question
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/4/2014 11:27 AM, Jennifer Murphy wrote:
I have an overhead halogen fixture in the home office. It uses one of
those 300W double-ended halogen bulbs (118 mm).

I've had the fixture for a many years and have replaced the bulb 2-3
times. I never noticed that it got dimmer before it burned out. The past
few months, the light in that room has seemed dimmer. I thought it was
just my old eyes. But this morning the bulb burned out and I replaced
it. Now the room is bright like it used to be.

Do halogen bulbs dim with age?

The ones I've had, the bulbs get silver on the
inside of the glass, and yes they do get dim.

The halogens, are supposed to condense the
tungsten on the filament when they cool down,
so the bulbs last longer. Remember that from
some where.

-
..
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org
..
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 04 Dec 2014 10:37:00 -0600, philo* wrote:

On 12/04/2014 10:27 AM, Jennifer Murphy wrote:
I have an overhead halogen fixture in the home office. It uses one of
those 300W double-ended halogen bulbs (118 mm).

I've had the fixture for a many years and have replaced the bulb 2-3
times. I never noticed that it got dimmer before it burned out. The past
few months, the light in that room has seemed dimmer. I thought it was
just my old eyes. But this morning the bulb burned out and I replaced
it. Now the room is bright like it used to be.

Do halogen bulbs dim with age?

Guess you answered your own question

No, I didn't. Guess halogens aren't the only thing that gets dim with
age.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 04 Dec 2014 10:37:00 -0600, philo* wrote:

On 12/04/2014 10:27 AM, Jennifer Murphy wrote:
I have an overhead halogen fixture in the home office. It uses one of
those 300W double-ended halogen bulbs (118 mm).

I've had the fixture for a many years and have replaced the bulb 2-3
times. I never noticed that it got dimmer before it burned out. The past
few months, the light in that room has seemed dimmer. I thought it was
just my old eyes. But this morning the bulb burned out and I replaced
it. Now the room is bright like it used to be.

Do halogen bulbs dim with age?

Guess you answered your own question

Did she change the paint color on the walls? g

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 04 Dec 2014 13:43:35 -0500, Stormin Mormon
wrote:

On 12/4/2014 11:27 AM, Jennifer Murphy wrote:
I have an overhead halogen fixture in the home office. It uses one of
those 300W double-ended halogen bulbs (118 mm).

I've had the fixture for a many years and have replaced the bulb 2-3
times. I never noticed that it got dimmer before it burned out. The past
few months, the light in that room has seemed dimmer. I thought it was
just my old eyes. But this morning the bulb burned out and I replaced
it. Now the room is bright like it used to be.

Do halogen bulbs dim with age?

The ones I've had, the bulbs get silver on the
inside of the glass, and yes they do get dim.

It's odd. I'd swear that there was little or no dimming with the
previous 2-3 bulbs in that fixture. Myabe they were cheaper bulbs that
burned out before they could get dim.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Oren" wrote in message
Did she change the paint color on the walls? g

Then Oren said, "I ****ed his mother....."
LOL

Senior Member

I have to disagree with Stormin on this one.

Ordinary incandescent light bulbs do dim with age because the tungsten atoms from the filament end up coating the inside of the bulb.

In a halogen bulb, the halogen gas inside the bulb acts to redeposit those tungsten atoms back onto the hot filament, so that the tungsten atoms don't coat the interior of the bulb, so the bulb DOESN'T dim with age, or at least not nearly to the same extent that conventional incandescant bulbs do.

But, halogen bulbs burn out just like incandescant bulbs do.

The whole selling point for halogen bulbs isn't that they're any brighter than incandescent bulbs, it's just that they don't dim with age nearly as much as incandescant bulbs do.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/04/2014 12:55 PM, Oren wrote:
On Thu, 04 Dec 2014 10:37:00 -0600, philo wrote:

On 12/04/2014 10:27 AM, Jennifer Murphy wrote:
I have an overhead halogen fixture in the home office. It uses one of
those 300W double-ended halogen bulbs (118 mm).

I've had the fixture for a many years and have replaced the bulb 2-3
times. I never noticed that it got dimmer before it burned out. The past
few months, the light in that room has seemed dimmer. I thought it was
just my old eyes. But this morning the bulb burned out and I replaced
it. Now the room is bright like it used to be.

Do halogen bulbs dim with age?

Guess you answered your own question

Did she change the paint color on the walls? g

The ****in' idiot did not even spell Halogen correctly in the subject line.

sheesh
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 04 Dec 2014 15:57:48 -0600, philo* wrote:

On 12/04/2014 12:55 PM, Oren wrote:
On Thu, 04 Dec 2014 10:37:00 -0600, philo wrote:

On 12/04/2014 10:27 AM, Jennifer Murphy wrote:
I have an overhead halogen fixture in the home office. It uses one of
those 300W double-ended halogen bulbs (118 mm).

I've had the fixture for a many years and have replaced the bulb 2-3
times. I never noticed that it got dimmer before it burned out. The past
few months, the light in that room has seemed dimmer. I thought it was
just my old eyes. But this morning the bulb burned out and I replaced
it. Now the room is bright like it used to be.

Do halogen bulbs dim with age?

Guess you answered your own question

Did she change the paint color on the walls? g

The ****in' idiot did not even spell Halogen correctly in the subject line.

sheesh

So?! Spelling was corrected in her first sentence... What is you
gripe?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 04 Dec 2014 08:27:32 -0800, Jennifer Murphy
wrote:

I have an overhead halogen fixture in the home office. It uses one of

I thought you asked if hooligans dimmed with age, and I was going to say
that most crimes are committed by people in their 20's, teens, 30's,
etc. So yes the hooligans do dim.

those 300W double-ended halogen bulbs (118 mm).

I've had the fixture for a many years and have replaced the bulb 2-3
times. I never noticed that it got dimmer before it burned out. The past
few months, the light in that room has seemed dimmer. I thought it was
just my old eyes. But this morning the bulb burned out and I replaced
it. Now the room is bright like it used to be.

Do halogen bulbs dim with age?

Oh, light bulbs. I dunno.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/04/2014 04:07 PM, Oren wrote:
On Thu,
Did she change the paint color on the walls? g

The ****in' idiot did not even spell Halogen correctly in the subject line.

sheesh

So?! Spelling was corrected in her first sentence... What is you
gripe?

I's a engrish pefrssor
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 12/4/2014 11:27 AM, Jennifer Murphy wrote:
I have an overhead halogen fixture in the home office. It uses one of
those 300W double-ended halogen bulbs (118 mm).

I've had the fixture for a many years and have replaced the bulb 2-3
times. I never noticed that it got dimmer before it burned out. The past
few months, the light in that room has seemed dimmer. I thought it was
just my old eyes. But this morning the bulb burned out and I replaced
it. Now the room is bright like it used to be.

Do halogen bulbs dim with age?

The ones I've had, the bulbs get silver on the
inside of the glass, and yes they do get dim.

It's odd. I'd swear that there was little or no dimming with the
previous 2-3 bulbs in that fixture. Myabe they were cheaper bulbs that
burned out before they could get dim.

Yes, cheaper bulbs will have a tendency to that.

With the wide variety of LEDs now on the market, you may want to
consider changing out that high energy hog halogen. You may never have
to change the bulb again.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 04 Dec 2014 14:52:55 -0600, philo* wrote:

On 12/04/2014 12:54 PM, Jennifer Murphy wrote:
On Thu, 04 Dec 2014 10:37:00 -0600, philo wrote:

On 12/04/2014 10:27 AM, Jennifer Murphy wrote:
I have an overhead halogen fixture in the home office. It uses one of
those 300W double-ended halogen bulbs (118 mm).

I've had the fixture for a many years and have replaced the bulb 2-3
times. I never noticed that it got dimmer before it burned out. The past
few months, the light in that room has seemed dimmer. I thought it was
just my old eyes. But this morning the bulb burned out and I replaced
it. Now the room is bright like it used to be.

Do halogen bulbs dim with age?

Guess you answered your own question

No, I didn't. Guess halogens aren't the only thing that gets dim with
age.

Idiot ***plonk***

Ouch, oww, owie. And please, whatever you do, don't plonk me. I just
couldn't live without you, sweetie.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/4/2014 6:57 PM, Jennifer Murphy wrote:
On Thu, 04 Dec 2014 14:52:55 -0600, philo wrote:

On 12/04/2014 12:54 PM, Jennifer Murphy wrote:
On Thu, 04 Dec 2014 10:37:00 -0600, philo wrote:
No, I didn't. Guess halogens aren't the only thing that gets dim with
age.

Idiot ***plonk***

Ouch, oww, owie. And please, whatever you do, don't plonk me. I just
couldn't live without you, sweetie.

Philo just loves to wear his dungeon master
black leather when he plonks people.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/4/2014 5:21 PM, philo wrote:
The ****in' idiot did not even spell Halogen correctly in the subject
line.

sheesh

I's a engrish pefrssor

I thank that you should licking up on
here, as she obliviously meant no herm
with one laster out of police, in the
subjective lying. You should tyke black
what you sneered about there.

Damn snail chick.

-
..
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org
..
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I thought of that. I am still thinking about that. ;-)

The halogen is indeed an energy hog. The glass cover on the overhead
fixture gets hot enough to burn fingers. And the light attracts bugs,
which are instantly fried to a crisp. They then accumulate in the bottom
of the cover, which further dims the light.

I'll have to replace the entire fixture, so that means I have to go
shopping, decide on a style, etc., etc. (sigh)

I had a spare halogen, so I just replaced the bulb. And now the light
works. It's like the leaking roof. When it's leaking, it can't be fixed
because it's raining. And when it's not raining, it's not leaking.

I just did a quick search for overhead LED fixtures, but couldn't find
anything close to 300 watts. Maybe I'll look into track lighting. That
would spread the light out better.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 04 Dec 2014 19:34:42 -0500, Stormin Mormon
wrote:

On 12/4/2014 6:57 PM, Jennifer Murphy wrote:
On Thu, 04 Dec 2014 14:52:55 -0600, philo wrote:

On 12/04/2014 12:54 PM, Jennifer Murphy wrote:
On Thu, 04 Dec 2014 10:37:00 -0600, philo wrote:
No, I didn't. Guess halogens aren't the only thing that gets dim with
age.

Idiot ***plonk***

Ouch, oww, owie. And please, whatever you do, don't plonk me. I just
couldn't live without you, sweetie.

Philo just loves to wear his dungeon master
black leather when he plonks people.

Really. Do they sell black leather outfits to adolescents?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 04 Dec 2014 20:08:40 -0500, Stormin Mormon
wrote:

On 12/4/2014 5:21 PM, philo wrote:
The ****in' idiot did not even spell Halogen correctly in the subject
line.

Neither did you. And your restricted range of adjectives is impressive,
too. ;-)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/4/2014 8:23 PM, Jennifer Murphy wrote:
On Thu, 04 Dec 2014 19:34:42 -0500, Stormin Mormon
On 12/4/2014 6:57 PM, Jennifer Murphy wrote:
Ouch, oww, owie. And please, whatever you do, don't plonk me. I just
couldn't live without you, sweetie.

Philo just loves to wear his dungeon master
black leather when he plonks people.

Really. Do they sell black leather outfits to adolescents?

Forged his Mom's signature.

-
..
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org
..
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

You're assuming 300 watts is light output/brightness? I can assure you
using LEDs such as with 4600K for example, will exceed the brightness
you are seeking while using less than 20 watts total. Even fluorescent
lamps will be better than a halogen. You don't want a fixture and lamps
that burn 300 watts. Your electrical meter would spin like a top, well,
almost. Using CFLs and LEDS in the household will save you a crapload of
money in the long run.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I believe you. As lights burn out, I am replacing them with LEDs.

Don't they have some equivalency rating, like lumens?

I'll keep looking.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

You're assuming 300 watts is light output/brightness? I can assure you
using LEDs such as with 4600K for example, will exceed the brightness
you are seeking while using less than 20 watts total. Even fluorescent
lamps will be better than a halogen. You don't want a fixture and lamps
that burn 300 watts. Your electrical meter would spin like a top, well,
almost. Using CFLs and LEDS in the household will save you a crapload of
money in the long run.

I believe you. As lights burn out, I am replacing them with LEDs.

Don't they have some equivalency rating, like lumens?

I'll keep looking.

Yes, lumens. That's one measure of light output.

Fluorescent and LED can have different color,
some people are fine with the old filament
bulbs, but other bulbs bother their eyes.

-
..
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org
..
Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer Murphy[_2_] View Post
I believe you. As lights burn out, I am replacing them with LEDs.

Don't they have some equivalency rating, like lumens?

I'll keep looking.
On Compact Fluorescent lights, they normally give the incandescent equivalent wattage by saying something like 13W = 60 Watt, which means a 13 watt CFL has the same light output as a 60 watt incandescent.

I haven't bought very many LED bulbs, but they seem to be following the same format. I purchased some LED bulbs that were 4.7 watts, and it said on the packaging that they replaced 40 watt incandescent bulbs.

You can just go by those equivalency numbers, or the lumens output if you can get used to that system.