Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT -- car door locks need lubrication

On another list, poster writes that all three
key locks on her vehicle stopped working. She
had always used the key fob remote, so never
noticed. This is often due to rock salt, and
weather. The metal they use on car door locks
tends to corrode very easily.

There are a LOT of people who never noticed the
salted up car locks. Car door locks are the only
place I ever use 10w30 motor oil for lubricant
in locks. I have a syringe with large bore needle,
and give em all half a CC in the fall when I
remember. Today, I have been reminded.

Oh, in this case WD-40 serves both as lubricant
and also water displacer. Much better than leaving
the locks dry.

-
..
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org
..
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
On another list, poster writes that all three
key locks on her vehicle stopped working. She
had always used the key fob remote, so never
noticed. This is often due to rock salt, and
weather. The metal they use on car door locks
tends to corrode very easily.

There are a LOT of people who never noticed the
salted up car locks. Car door locks are the only
place I ever use 10w30 motor oil for lubricant
in locks. I have a syringe with large bore needle,
and give em all half a CC in the fall when I
remember. Today, I have been reminded.

Oh, in this case WD-40 serves both as lubricant
and also water displacer. Much better than leaving
the locks dry.

It is much better to use graphite to lubricate door locks.

Oil attracks dirt and can gum up a lock.

Oil works well for hinges.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/7/2014 7:08 PM, terrable wrote:

It is much better to use graphite to lubricate door locks.

Oil attracks dirt and can gum up a lock.

Oil works well for hinges.

A lot is based on the location. I'm in NY State,
USA where they use a LOT of road salt. Which is
much different than Arizona, Pacific North Wet,
etc. In NYS, if you use graphite in your door
locks, they turn into a useless lump of zinc
and white corrosion.

-
..
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org
..
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 07 Nov 2014 19:37:01 -0500, Stormin Mormon
wrote:

On 11/7/2014 7:08 PM, terrable wrote:

It is much better to use graphite to lubricate door locks.

Oil attracks dirt and can gum up a lock.

Oil works well for hinges.

A lot is based on the location. I'm in NY State,
USA where they use a LOT of road salt. Which is
much different than Arizona, Pacific North Wet,
etc. In NYS, if you use graphite in your door
locks, they turn into a useless lump of zinc
and white corrosion.

-
.
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org
.

New York State is no worse than Ontario.(as far as salt use and winter
conditions)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 8 Nov 2014 00:49:45 +0000 (UTC), Tegger
wrote:

wrote in news:5jpq5ad3qmtnekqdhrfavla558rp61o1ql@
4ax.com:

wrote:

I'm in NY State,
USA where they use a LOT of road salt. Which is
much different than Arizona, Pacific North Wet,
etc. In NYS, if you use graphite in your door
locks, they turn into a useless lump of zinc
and white corrosion.

New York State is no worse than Ontario.(as far as salt use and winter
conditions)

Yeah, and graphite is a terrible idea in Ontario as well.

The correct stuff is the lightest oil you can find. Rust Check (red spray
can) is the best there is, although it does tend to get stiff below zero F.

Lock ease (sorry, I spelled it wrong)is a colloidal graphite
lubricant - not dry lube - suspended in a very light oil carrier
specifically made as a lock lubricant. I have had good results with it
for several decades. It is made by American Grease Stick.

According to the msds it is:
1
Stoddard Solvent
8052-41-3

2
Dripless Base Compound
Mixture

3
Graphite

No idea what the "dripless base compound" mixture is - but it works.
It was first recommended to me by a very well respected locksmith WAY
back in the seventies when we had him service some locks for us.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:

Would have made a great political slogan
"Vote for Stormin Mormon, we're no worse
than anyone else."

We once had a VP who proposed 'We suck less.' for the corporate motto. Ut's
accurate; we've had several sites that left for a while when another vendor
promised them the world but came back because we sucked less.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 07 Nov 2014 20:16:45 -0500, Stormin Mormon
wrote:

New York State is no worse than Ontario.
(as far as salt use and winter
conditions)

Nice, we're no worse than anyone else.

In the Mojave Desert we deal with flying dust. The stuff is like talc
powder. Maybe I could just rinse the dust out

Would have made a great political slogan
"Vote for Stormin Mormon, we're no worse
than anyone else."

How many of you are there?!

I forecast a landslide next election.

A shop wants~$200 (?) to fix a gas cap door cable/lever? I said to my
bride, I can disable the door lack plunger and fix it next year. I
wonder how she will spend her money.

I've never owned a vehicle with gas cap door latches, except the one
my bride drives.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
On 11/7/2014 7:08 PM, terrable wrote:

It is much better to use graphite to lubricate door locks.

Oil attracks dirt and can gum up a lock.

Oil works well for hinges.

A lot is based on the location. I'm in NY State,
USA where they use a LOT of road salt. Which is
much different than Arizona, Pacific North Wet,
etc. In NYS, if you use graphite in your door
locks, they turn into a useless lump of zinc
and white corrosion.

In the 1970s I lived in the North Country of New York for 5 years and never
saw any rotted door locks. Worst winters of any place I have ever lived.

They use plenty of road salt here in the Philly suburbs and I don't see any
rotted door locks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/7/2014 7:49 PM, terrable wrote:
A lot is based on the location. I'm in NY State,
USA where they use a LOT of road salt. Which is
much different than Arizona, Pacific North Wet,
etc. In NYS, if you use graphite in your door
locks, they turn into a useless lump of zinc
and white corrosion.

In the 1970s I lived in the North Country of New York for 5 years and never
saw any rotted door locks. Worst winters of any place I have ever lived.

They use plenty of road salt here in the Philly suburbs and I don't see any
rotted door locks.

In the eighties, I worked in a locksmith shop.
I replaced a LOT of car door locks. That's my
take on the matter.

My cobbler says everyone has bad shoes, too.

-
..
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org
..
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 7 Nov 2014 19:49:05 -0500, "terrable"
wrote:

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
On 11/7/2014 7:08 PM, terrable wrote:

It is much better to use graphite to lubricate door locks.

Oil attracks dirt and can gum up a lock.

Oil works well for hinges.

A lot is based on the location. I'm in NY State,
USA where they use a LOT of road salt. Which is
much different than Arizona, Pacific North Wet,
etc. In NYS, if you use graphite in your door
locks, they turn into a useless lump of zinc
and white corrosion.

In the 1970s I lived in the North Country of New York for 5 years and never
saw any rotted door locks. Worst winters of any place I have ever lived.

They use plenty of road salt here in the Philly suburbs and I don't see any
rotted door locks.

Well, we do see some badly corroded locks occaisionally. Last year I
replaced the latch assemblies on my 18 year old pickup truck cap when
I could not free the locks up any more.. They face slightly up, so
water and dirt can run into them.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 07 Nov 2014 08:09:48 -0500, Stormin Mormon
wrote:

On another list, poster writes that all three
key locks on her vehicle stopped working. She
had always used the key fob remote, so never
noticed. This is often due to rock salt, and
weather. The metal they use on car door locks
tends to corrode very easily.

My 1950 Oldsmobile came with rubber covers, that snapped on, that
covered the button in the door handle with the key hole.

They were in perfect condition when I got the car in 1965, probably
because my cousin never used them.

There are a LOT of people who never noticed the
salted up car locks. Car door locks are the only
place I ever use 10w30 motor oil for lubricant
in locks. I have a syringe with large bore needle,
and give em all half a CC in the fall when I
remember. Today, I have been reminded.

Oh, in this case WD-40 serves both as lubricant
and also water displacer. Much better than leaving
the locks dry.

My fob receiver is broken. I'll try D-40.
-
.
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org
.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/7/14, 9:47 PM, micky wrote:
My fob receiver is broken. I'll try D-40.

If you have trouble down the road, contact cleaner should flush out that
nasty WD-40. (So far, WD-40 hasn't been nasty to me.)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 08 Nov 2014 15:07:02 -0500, J Burns
wrote:

On 11/7/14, 9:47 PM, micky wrote:
My fob receiver is broken. I'll try D-40.

If you have trouble down the road, contact cleaner should flush out that
nasty WD-40. (So far, WD-40 hasn't been nasty to me.)

I use Brake Kleen to wash out lacks - and contact cleaner on
electrical devices.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 08 Nov 2014 18:12:19 -0700, rbowman

I use Brake Kleen to wash out lacks - and contact cleaner on
electrical devices.

I generally have a few cans of brake cleaner around. Sometimes I even use it
on brakes. It's one of the few things they haven't dumbed down to the point
where they don't work anymore.

It makes pretty good dry cleaning fluid too, to remove grease stains
from clothes. Be careful on synthetics.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormy,

I thought graphite was the lubricant for locks.

Dave M.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 7 Nov 2014 08:20:07 -0500, "David L. Martel"
wrote:

Stormy,

I thought graphite was the lubricant for locks.

Dave M.

Lock Eaz is a colloidal graphite that works very well.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/7/2014 8:20 AM, David L. Martel wrote:
Stormy,

I thought graphite was the lubricant for locks.

Dave M.

I do use graphite when the locks stay dry,
such as inside an office complex. When they
get wet like car doors, I'm forced to use
oil based products.

I avoid "graphited lock fluid" in the little
cans, that stuff gets thick after a while.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 07 Nov 2014 06:09:48 -0700, Stormin Mormon
wrote:

[...]

For cold climates, I used to use graphite based lubricant, since it
doesn't turn into sludge at cold temps.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/7/2014 9:49 AM, RobertMacy wrote:
On Fri, 07 Nov 2014 06:09:48 -0700, Stormin Mormon

Oh, in this case WD-40 serves both as lubricant
and also water displacer. Much better than leaving
the locks dry.

For cold climates, I used to use graphite based lubricant, since it
doesn't turn into sludge at cold temps.

In my cold climate, western NY, they use a lot
of rock salt on the roads. I used to work in a
locksmith shop, and we replaced a LOT of car
door keyhole cylinders. In NYS rock salt areas,
graphite would do nothing about the corrosion.

-
..
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org
..
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Locks is one place I "specifically" will not use WD40. I have a little
zip tube of "tuff-oil" and another of Chevron iso 15 "handi-oil" as
well as a bottle of "lock eaz" - which has een my favorite for locks
for decades.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 08 Nov 2014 07:22:00 -0500, Stormin Mormon
wrote:

On 11/7/2014 12:56 PM, wrote:
Locks is one place I "specifically" will not use WD40. I have a little
zip tube of "tuff-oil" and another of Chevron iso 15 "handi-oil" as
well as a bottle of "lock eaz" - which has een my favorite for locks
for decades.

I did lock work for a motel, couple decades
ago. Their guys would squirt "Lock Easze
graphited lock fluid" into the the locks (key
hole cylinders) on the rooms. The fluid would
get sticky, and the locks would not work
right. I used a lot of carb cleaner, to
remove that graphited lock fluid. Me, well,
I'd never use that stuff.

Oh, SORRY Clare, I FORGOT to use your SPECIAL
notation when REPLYING to your POSTS. Just
HAD to be a JERK for your ENTERTAINMENT.

Some folks use ATF "automatic transmission
fluid" in car door locks. That could help,
I don't have a lot of experience with that.

-
.
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org
.

I have used MMO for stubborn locks.
I have also used the DuraLube zip oil - to get them working. For use
out in the cold - like the padlocks on the storage container and locks
on the hangar gates I wash all the oil out with brake cleaner and
shoot in the LockEase (after making sure they are working smoothly
while oiled) A rubber flap over the lock to keep water out goes a long
way towards keeping padlocks working in the winter. Keyed knobs that
are used infrequently can be weatherproofed with an old rubber glove
stretched over them.

Mixtures of different lubricants quite often cause problems with
gelling or forming solid "gunk". WD 40 ALWAYS ends up going sticky -
and so does a lot of 3 in 1 oil.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/8/2014 8:15 PM, rbowman wrote:

I've got to rig one of those. Those 'weatherproof' locks from the hardware
store with the plastic overcase mostly seem to retain any water. I've
learned to keep the propane torch in the house so I can thaw out the shed
lock to get to whatever else I need.

Propane is good stuff. Mapp, when the tank gets
cold, it doesn't flow gas properly.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 08 Nov 2014 18:15:01 -0700, rbowman

A rubber flap over the lock to keep water out goes a long
way towards keeping padlocks working in the winter.

I've got to rig one of those. Those 'weatherproof' locks from the hardware
store with the plastic overcase mostly seem to retain any water. I've
learned to keep the propane torch in the house so I can thaw out the shed
lock to get to whatever else I need.

One place I worked; torches were a "controlled tool". Staff needing to
get past chained outside gates for inspections carried a roll of
toilet paper. Wrapped a bunch around the lock and set fire with a
match. Usually the first time was a charm - you learn how much it
takes after awhile. It was done that way for decades and likely still
a present day practice

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/7/14, 8:09 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On another list, poster writes that all three
key locks on her vehicle stopped working. She
had always used the key fob remote, so never
noticed. This is often due to rock salt, and
weather. The metal they use on car door locks
tends to corrode very easily.

There are a LOT of people who never noticed the
salted up car locks. Car door locks are the only
place I ever use 10w30 motor oil for lubricant
in locks. I have a syringe with large bore needle,
and give em all half a CC in the fall when I
remember. Today, I have been reminded.

Oh, in this case WD-40 serves both as lubricant
and also water displacer. Much better than leaving
the locks dry.

Roofing cement? That's a _terrible_ idea! Ignition lock, OK, but _not_
door locks!

If you put it in door locks, your nosy neighbors will ask what it's for
and you'll have to explain. They'll want some, too, and they'll tell
their friends. Invent a better way to keep rock salt out of locks and
the world will beat a path to your door, all wanting a free shot.

Did you ever have to go up on your roof in a hurricane to fix a leak
with Lock Ease because you squeezed the trigger on your caulk gun and no
roofing cement came out?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/7/2014 2:21 PM, J Burns wrote:
On 11/7/14, 8:09 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
Oh, in this case WD-40 serves both as lubricant
and also water displacer. Much better than leaving
the locks dry.

Roofing cement? That's a _terrible_ idea! Ignition lock, OK, but _not_
door locks!

If you put it in door locks, your nosy neighbors will ask what it's for
and you'll have to explain. They'll want some, too, and they'll tell
their friends. Invent a better way to keep rock salt out of locks and
the world will beat a path to your door, all wanting a free shot.

Did you ever have to go up on your roof in a hurricane to fix a leak
with Lock Ease because you squeezed the trigger on your caulk gun and no
roofing cement came out?

Roofing cement works great, to keep water out
of locks. Have to put some on with a trowel,
and then fiberglass, and then more roofing
cement. Works nicely. You just have to remember
to only do the drivers door, and always get in
the other side.

-
..
Christopher A. Young