Posted to alt.home.repair

Default keyed entry door knob problem

Doorlatch will not recess when door closes. If knob is turned only slightly so that latch recesses .2 inch it will go ahead and recess. What is the problem?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 3 Nov 2014 09:16:09 -0800 (PST), Frank Thompson
wrote:

Doorlatch will not recess when door closes. If knob is turned only slightly so that latch recesses .2 inch it will go ahead and recess. What is the problem?

.... worn out latch, latch strike plate not adjusted - start there

"You shut the door. It doesn't latch, or you have to lift the handle
to get it to latch. This door problem is getting on your nerves—why
not spend five minutes to fix it?"

Read mo

http://www.familyhandyman.com/doors/repair/adjusting-a-door-strike-plate/view-all#ixzz3I1sMkQvS

https://tinyurl.com/nb9498q
Posted to alt.home.repair

Frank Thompson wrote:
Doorlatch will not recess when door closes. If knob is turned only
slightly so that latch recesses .2 inch it will go ahead and recess.
What is the problem?

Rub a little wax (candle?) on the metal surfaces that contact/slide when the
latch makes contact an moves.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, November 3, 2014 12:16:14 PM UTC-5, Frank Thompson wrote:
Doorlatch will not recess when door closes. If knob is turned only slightly so that latch recesses .2 inch it will go ahead and recess. What is the problem?

Even when the door is open the latch cannot be pushed in by hand unless knob is turned slightly. The door & hardware is 16 years old. This problem started yesterday.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 3 Nov 2014 13:03:54 -0800 (PST), Frank Thompson
wrote:

On Monday, November 3, 2014 12:16:14 PM UTC-5, Frank Thompson wrote:
Doorlatch will not recess when door closes. If knob is turned only slightly so that latch recesses .2 inch it will go ahead and recess. What is the problem?

Even when the door is open the latch cannot be pushed in by hand unless knob is turned slightly. The door & hardware is 16 years old. This problem started yesterday.

Give it a week. It's probably just the flu.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/3/2014 4:03 PM, Frank Thompson wrote:
On Monday, November 3, 2014 12:16:14 PM UTC-5, Frank Thompson wrote:
Doorlatch will not recess when door closes. If knob is turned only slightly so that latch recesses .2 inch it will go ahead and recess. What is the problem?

Even when the door is open the latch cannot be pushed in by hand unless knob is turned slightly. The door & hardware is 16 years old. This problem started yesterday.

Part of the deadlatching mechanism is gone bad.

If it's a common brand of lock, replace the
latch. Is there a brand on the edge of the
door? I may have a replcement latch I can
ship to you.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/3/2014 5:04 PM, micky wrote:
Even when the door is open the latch cannot be

pushed in by hand unless knob is turned slightly.
The door & hardware is 16 years old. This problem
started yesterday.

Give it a week. It's probably just the flu.

Watch for gut pain, and vomitting. Might be
the balla.

-
..
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org
..
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

The door & hardware is 16 years old. This problem started yesterday.

I'm shocked at even the suggestion of failure yesterday. Imagine that.
At least it could break two days before. What a damn shame. Think
about it, a door knob lock broke.

I'm almost appalled, by gosh.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Oren posted for all of us...

wrote:

The door & hardware is 16 years old. This problem started yesterday.

I'm shocked at even the suggestion of failure yesterday. Imagine that.
At least it could break two days before. What a damn shame. Think
about it, a door knob lock broke.

I'm almost appalled, by gosh.

Yeah, it's a nail biting, white knuckle ride going on here.

--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/5/2014 6:39 PM, Tekkie® wrote:
The door & hardware is 16 years old. This problem started yesterday.

I'm shocked at even the suggestion of failure yesterday. Imagine that.
At least it could break two days before. What a damn shame. Think
about it, a door knob lock broke.

I'm almost appalled, by gosh.

Yeah, it's a nail biting, white knuckle ride going on here.

The guy I worked for, doing heating. He says
customers always whine "but it worked yesterday".

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/5/14, 6:42 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 11/5/2014 6:39 PM, Tekkie® wrote:
The door & hardware is 16 years old. This problem started yesterday.

I'm shocked at even the suggestion of failure yesterday. Imagine that.
At least it could break two days before. What a damn shame. Think
about it, a door knob lock broke.

I'm almost appalled, by gosh.

Yeah, it's a nail biting, white knuckle ride going on here.

The guy I worked for, doing heating. He says
customers always whine "but it worked yesterday".

That sounds like useful information, indicating that it was installed
properly, like the door latch.

How to remove cylinder in keyed entry lock? ** Frank ** Home Repair 8 April 15th 07 04:39 PM
Door knob problem Home Repair 1 December 5th 05 06:31 PM
Door knob problem Goedjn Home Repair 0 December 5th 05 04:50 PM
Door knob problem Lawrence Wasserman Home Repair 0 December 5th 05 04:21 PM
Door knob problem RicodJour Home Repair 0 December 4th 05 04:59 PM