Posted to alt.autos.toyota.camry,alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech

Default What doee one call this?

What do you call the material that all those signs strapped to
tellephone poles and on wires stuck in the ground are made of? By
people who have no respect for public property. They start off as
white, two layers with parallel "ribs" of the same material between the
two outer layers every eighth of an inch. Do you know what I mean?
Posted to alt.home.repair

"micky" wrote in message
What do you call the material that all those signs strapped to
tellephone poles and on wires stuck in the ground are made of? By
people who have no respect for public property. They start off as
white, two layers with parallel "ribs" of the same material between the
two outer layers every eighth of an inch. Do you know what I mean?

You mean like election signs that are all over the place now. I sure hope
they are recyclable. I assume as much when I toss them in the recycling.

Posted to alt.autos.toyota.camry,alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech

micky wrote in
:

What do you call the material that all those signs strapped to
tellephone poles and on wires stuck in the ground are made of? By
people who have no respect for public property. They start off as
white, two layers with parallel "ribs" of the same material between the
two outer layers every eighth of an inch. Do you know what I mean?

Generically, it's called "corrugated plastic", and is usually made of
polypropylene.

It comes in sizes that refer to the overall thickness, expressed in Metric.
The most common size is 4mm.

"Coroplast" is one just brand. More he
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corrugated_plastic

--
Tegger
Posted to alt.home.repair

Pico Rico wrote:

You mean like election signs that are all over the place now. I sure hope
they are recyclable. I assume as much when I toss them in the recycling.

Coroplast is useful stuff to have around. Unfortunately, the politicians
around here are too cheap to use it. I was very disappointed when I scouted
around looking for a couple of sheets.

Posted to alt.autos.toyota.camry,alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech

On Sat, 18 Oct 2014 22:32:58 +0000 (UTC), Tegger
wrote:

micky wrote in
:

What do you call the material that all those signs strapped to
tellephone poles and on wires stuck in the ground are made of? By
people who have no respect for public property. They start off as
white, two layers with parallel "ribs" of the same material between the
two outer layers every eighth of an inch. Do you know what I mean?

Generically, it's called "corrugated plastic", and is usually made of
polypropylene.

It comes in sizes that refer to the overall thickness, expressed in Metric.
The most common size is 4mm.

Yes, all the ones I have are the same thickness.

"Coroplast" is one just brand. More he
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corrugated_plastic

Wow. You're both right. Thanks I'm glad I asked. I'd never heard the
word or the phrase before.

I go through spurts where I take down scores of those signs in my
n'hood in an hour or two. Sometimes several days in a month.
Baltimore County law even explicitly gives everyone the right to do that
when they're on public land or telephone poles, but I did it even before
the law was passed. (Since I started, someone else in this n'hood is
doing it too. I haven't seen him but I've seen signs disappear.) You
can see the difference too, there are far fewer even weeks after one of
us has been around. I leave the ones for things that are very near to
where the sign is, or events about to happen, and I leave political
signs, and probably summer baseball camp and other things I approve of,
and a couple other things

What I didn't expect is that those sheets have so many uses. So I
throw away a lot, but keep about 20 pieces of various sizes, and a few
of the wire things too. Also the long plastic ties, with the
indentations in one end and the locking square on the other end, I save
some of them. They have fewer uses, but when I needed to snake a wire
from the left end of the winshield, at the top, to the right end, for
power to the sunvisor vanity light, it was perfect, Or snaking from the
car door to the inisde of the car.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 18 Oct 2014 14:59:17 -0700, "Pico Rico"
wrote:

"micky" wrote in message
.. .
What do you call the material that all those signs strapped to
tellephone poles and on wires stuck in the ground are made of? By
people who have no respect for public property. They start off as
white, two layers with parallel "ribs" of the same material between the
two outer layers every eighth of an inch. Do you know what I mean?

You mean like election signs that are all over the place now. I sure hope
they are recyclable. I assume as much when I toss them in the recycling.

Yeah. Some of those are election signs. I don't think of the
possibility they were recyclable. Are they?

I don't touch the political ones until after the election, and then it's
cold enough that I'm in no hurry, and most of them get taken down
without me, by the candidaters or the parties, I think.

Although someone glued 2 identical campaign posters to a big electric
transformer box near here, right where cars waiting for red l ights
would see it, and it wasn't until 4 years later that someone came and
took it off, just before governor Ehrlich ran for re-election.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

You mean like election signs that are all over the place now. I sure hope
they are recyclable. I assume as much when I toss them in the recycling.

You are right. Courtesy of wikip:

"Recycling

Corrugated plastic is usually made from polypropylene which is capable
of being recycled. Resin identification code 5 applies: the number 5
surrounded by a recycling symbol, with the letters "P P" below it."

They don't fit in my recycling garbage can, but from now on, I'll tie
them together with string, IIRC, that's okay.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 18 Oct 2014 17:55:42 -0400, micky

Date: Sat, 18 Oct 2014 17:55:42 -0400

Cor-plas
Posted to alt.home.repair

micky wrote in
:

Yeah. Some of those are election signs. I don't think of the
possibility they were recyclable. Are they?

EVERYTHING is "recyclable", including the polypropylene that corrugated
plastic is made of.

--
Tegger

Posted to alt.autos.toyota.camry,alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech

"micky" wrote:

"Coroplast" is one just brand. More he
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corrugated_plastic

What I didn't expect is that those sheets have so many uses.

You mean like sliding a big one (old political signs are good) under
your car to do work? Lets you slide in and out easier, and they're
reusable and cleanable if you spill oil or something on them.

(Since I started, someone else in this n'hood is doing it too.
I haven't seen him but I've seen signs disappear.)

Any homeless folks around there needing ground sheets or
rain-proof walls/roofs for their semi-permanent "residences"?

You could Google "coroplast boat" too, if you like.

Posted to alt.autos.toyota.camry,alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech

On Sun, 19 Oct 2014 11:54:09 -0700, "Sanity Clause"
wrote:

"micky" wrote:

"Coroplast" is one just brand. More he
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corrugated_plastic

What I didn't expect is that those sheets have so many uses.

You mean like sliding a big one (old political signs are good) under
your car to do work?

Absolutely. Especially when your car is parked on blacktop with plenty
of loose stones. Even kneeling on that stuff is hard when you're as
fat as I am.

Lets you slide in and out easier, and they're
reusable and cleanable if you spill oil or something on them.

And when spray painting on the lawn I used to use newspapers to avoid
painting the grass, but the slightest wind would blow the newspapers
around.

(Since I started, someone else in this n'hood is doing it too.
I haven't seen him but I've seen signs disappear.)

Any homeless folks around there needing ground sheets or
rain-proof walls/roofs for their semi-permanent "residences"?

Not around here. There are some people at the market on food stamps,
but no one is homeless.

You could Google "coroplast boat" too, if you like.

I'll do that.

Posted to alt.autos.toyota.camry,alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech

On 10/19/2014 2:54 PM, Sanity Clause wrote:
"micky" wrote:

"Coroplast" is one just brand. More he
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corrugated_plastic

What I didn't expect is that those sheets have so many uses.

You mean like sliding a big one (old political signs are good) under
your car to do work? Lets you slide in and out easier, and they're
reusable and cleanable if you spill oil or something on them.

I've got some thing like that in my truck, in
case I need to sit on the ground. One time I
was helping some friends repair a car, and the
snow was blowing, and we were cold. I was in
a garage at a house, but it was still cold.
Wished for some thing to put under me.
--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.autos.toyota.camry,alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech

"micky" wrote:

"Coroplast" is one just brand. More he
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corrugated_plastic
What I didn't expect is that those sheets have so many uses.

You mean like sliding a big one (old political signs are good) under
your car to do work? Lets you slide in and out easier, and they're
reusable and cleanable if you spill oil or something on them.

I've got some thing like that in my truck, in
case I need to sit on the ground. One time I
was helping some friends repair a car, and the
snow was blowing, and we were cold. I was in
a garage at a house, but it was still cold.
Wished for some thing to put under me.

I have two of the HF vinyl covered foam "mechanics pads". They are one
of the best items I've ever bought from any tool outfit.

http://www.harborfreight.com/folding...pad-93896.html

I have one with a headrest and an earlier one without. Both are REAL
handy items.

--
Steve W.
Posted to alt.autos.toyota.camry,alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech

On 10/19/2014 6:40 PM, Steve W. wrote:

I have two of the HF vinyl covered foam "mechanics pads". They are one
of the best items I've ever bought from any tool outfit.

http://www.harborfreight.com/folding...pad-93896.html

I have one with a headrest and an earlier one without. Both are REAL
handy items.

Closest to that in my kit is a carpet sample for
five bucks (coffee money) from a carpet place.
That does look useful, though. Thanks for the
link.

--
..
Christopher A. Young

Posted to alt.autos.toyota.camry,alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech

Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 10/19/2014 6:40 PM, Steve W. wrote:
I have two of the HF vinyl covered foam "mechanics pads". They are one
of the best items I've ever bought from any tool outfit.

http://www.harborfreight.com/folding...pad-93896.html

I have one with a headrest and an earlier one without. Both are REAL
handy items.

Closest to that in my kit is a carpet sample for
five bucks (coffee money) from a carpet place.
That does look useful, though. Thanks for the
link.

It is one of those "Why wasn't this on a tool truck years ago" items.
Easy to wipe clean, doesn't absorb anything that I've found yet. I've
used it on gravel, concrete, out in Vince's yard and more and no damage
at all.

--
Steve W.
Posted to alt.autos.toyota.camry,alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech

On Sat, 18 Oct 2014 22:32:58 +0000 (UTC), Tegger
wrote:

micky wrote in
:

What do you call the material that all those signs strapped to
tellephone poles and on wires stuck in the ground are made of? By
people who have no respect for public property. They start off as
white, two layers with parallel "ribs" of the same material between the
two outer layers every eighth of an inch. Do you know what I mean?

Generically, it's called "corrugated plastic", and is usually made of
polypropylene.

It comes in sizes that refer to the overall thickness, expressed in Metric.
The most common size is 4mm.

"Coroplast" is one just brand. More he
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corrugated_plastic

Two more good uses for corrugated plastic:

2) When digging a hole, put the dirt on the plastic so it doesn't make a
mess. Later, you can pick up the plastic from the sides and carry all
the dirt at one time.

2) As a pattern for making a replacement rear window for my
convertible.

I was going to just make a paper pattern and transfer the pattern to the
Lexan, but halfway through I realized the pattern has to be verified**,
so I used duck tape to tape two of my biggest pieces of coroplast
togeher side by side, and transferred the paper pattern to the
coroplast, which was stiff enough to insert where the window goes. I
made it bigger than needed on purpose, but it's still been a challenge
trimming it down. All the sides are curved to some extent, and the
upper corners even more so.

Also, the "glass", the plastic, has to be small enough top to bottom to
fit in the well behind the back seat. I couldn't check that properly
with a paper pattern.

And it should only be as wide as the glass that broke was. Again,
paper wouldn't do a good job.

I'm still trimming the coroplast and I havent' started cutting the
Lexan. I hope it fits.

**Because onc