Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Moaners Hub

Just went to the site, and had a look around. Lot of
old posts archived there. Much like Google Groups.

I've not been a Giggle Groper poster, and they threw
me off Moaners Shrub. Found I could not log back on.
Wonder if Giggle and Moaner are useful for usenet
posters who want to go back and look at old posts?

I'll admit, I've looked at Giggle Gropes, to read
old posts.

..
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org
..
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/7/2014 8:06 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
Just went to the site, and had a look around. Lot of
old posts archived there. Much like Google Groups.

Never cared for web forums.
They tend to sell your email address and the next thing you know your inbox is getting 1000 spams a day.
I suspect if HomeBlowersHub is stealing content from USENET, they are selling email addresses as well.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/7/2014 8:52 AM, Sam Waller wrote:
Never cared for web forums.
They tend to sell your email address and the next thing you know your
inbox is getting 1000 spams a day.
I suspect if HomeBlowersHub is stealing content from USENET, they are
selling email addresses as well.

Theft, and sale, guess we know what
they desire... cashflow.

..
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org
..
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/7/2014 8:04 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 10/7/2014 8:52 AM, Sam Waller wrote:
Never cared for web forums.
They tend to sell your email address and the next thing you know your
inbox is getting 1000 spams a day.
I suspect if HomeBlowersHub is stealing content from USENET, they are
selling email addresses as well.

Theft, and sale, guess we know what
they desire... cashflow.

They're just doing what Google and numerous other smaller companies
are doing: providing a web-based gateway to Usenet for people who
don't know Usenet. Since nobody owns Usenet, it's not as if anyone can
steal it. They're in it for the clicks - the more hits to their site,
the more it is worth to potential buyers, and the more advertising
revenue they can earn from it.

Even if they explained in great detail to their users what they are
doing and what Usenet is, the majority of them wouldn't care. They're
looking for advice, not a philosophical discussion on the Internet,
the WWW, and Usenet, and/or the propriety of channeling Usenet
newsgroups onto the web.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/7/2014 9:16 AM, Moe DeLoughan wrote:
Even if they explained in great detail to their users what they are doing and what Usenet is, the majority of them wouldn't care.

Yabbut pity the poor schmuck that uses their real email address to sign up.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/7/2014 9:32 AM, Sam Waller wrote:
On 10/7/2014 9:16 AM, Moe DeLoughan wrote:
Even if they explained in great detail to their users what they are
doing and what Usenet is, the majority of them wouldn't care.

Yabbut pity the poor schmuck that uses their real email address to
sign up.

Same goes here, and at GG. Anybody who doesn't use a throwaway account
for posting on the Internet is, frankly, dumb.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Moe DeLoughan writes:

On 10/7/2014 9:32 AM, Sam Waller wrote:
On 10/7/2014 9:16 AM, Moe DeLoughan wrote:
Even if they explained in great detail to their users what they are
doing and what Usenet is, the majority of them wouldn't care.

Yabbut pity the poor schmuck that uses their real email address to
sign up.

Same goes here, and at GG. Anybody who doesn't use a throwaway account
for posting on the Internet is, frankly, dumb.

Either that, or they back up their mail providers spam filters with
something that works. Like Spamassassin. I don't hide my email,
and get loads of spam. Less than once a week, one makes it though.
Here are the most recent counts of caught spam on my home system:

files for 2014/09/20 are 48
files for 2014/09/21 are 23
files for 2014/09/22 are 16
files for 2014/09/23 are 18
files for 2014/09/24 are 24
files for 2014/09/25 are 28
files for 2014/09/26 are 26
files for 2014/09/27 are 12
files for 2014/09/28 are 19
files for 2014/09/29 are 28
files for 2014/09/30 are 20
files for 2014/10/01 are 33
files for 2014/10/02 are 21
files for 2014/10/03 are 16
files for 2014/10/04 are 20
files for 2014/10/05 are 12
files for 2014/10/06 are 19
files for 2014/10/07 are 11

days 18, files 394, per day 21.9

No, I never look at the spam.

So, if you don't hide your email, make sure you're prepared
for the results.

--
Dan Espen
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, October 7, 2014 9:59:20 AM UTC-5, Moe DeLoughan wrote:

Same goes here, and at GG. Anybody who doesn't use a throwaway account

for posting on the Internet is, frankly, dumb.

I use GG and guess what? 99.9% of spam is filtered on my throw-away!
Posted to alt.home.repair

Dan Espen wrote:
Moe DeLoughan writes:

[...]

I don't get any spam on my comcast account. I get some spam on another
account I started using 15 years ago. Most of That is filtered, but some
gets through.
I can't figure why comcast email has been great. I can't see my header on
this reader.

Greg
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/08/2014 12:43 AM, gregz wrote:

[...]

I don't use my real name and email address on UseNet, but neither do I
allow anyone else to do spam filtering on my emails: *I* will decide
what's spam and what is not -- at least that is the theory, but Charter
kept bouncing messages from Yahoo! groups anyway, claiming that they
were spam, so I set up a yahoo email address specifically for my Yahoo!
groups subscriptions.

I detest web mail: all my emails come to Thunderbird, which has adaptive
junk filtering; i.e., it learns what *I* consider to be junk and marks
messages accordingly, but I get to confirm their status before they end
up in the junk folder.

I also display messages as plain text by default and display in html
only those messages that warrant it. That way I can see that (e.g.) a
link in a message that purports to be from my bank actually goes to
comeinsucker.wearegettingrich.ru.

Perce