DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Sub-panel questins (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/374616-sub-panel-questins.html)

Mikepier September 29th 14 05:46 PM

Sub-panel questins

Hello, I'm getting ready to install a sub-panel next to the main panel. Probably be using #6 wire to feed into it. Couple of questions:

Do I use 50a or 60a breaker feeding the sub?

I wanted to connect both boxes with 3/4" pipe. Can I use Pvc or does it need to be EMT?

Can I fit 4- #6 wires in 3/4" pipe?

Any recommendations for subs ? ( square D, GE, Eaton, Murray). The main panel is a Westinghouse.

Thanks

TomR[_3_] September 29th 14 06:18 PM

Sub-panel questins

In ,
Mikepier typed:
Hello, I'm getting ready to install a sub-panel next to the main
panel. Probably be using #6 wire to feed into it. Couple of
questions:

Do I use 50a or 60a breaker feeding the sub?

I wanted to connect both boxes with 3/4" pipe. Can I use Pvc or does
it need to be EMT?

Can I fit 4- #6 wires in 3/4" pipe?

Any recommendations for subs ? ( square D, GE, Eaton, Murray). The
main panel is a Westinghouse.

Thanks

I don't know the answers to any of the above questions, but I do remember
(almost) that there is something that needs to be kept in mind when adding a
subpanel. If I remember correctly, I think it is that the neutral bar and
the ground bar in the subpanel have to be insulated/separated from each
other -- meaning that the ground and neutral cannot be combined in the
subpanel the way that they can in a main panel. I forget the exact details.

You probably already know about that, but I thought that I would mention it
just in case.

And, to be honest, I never really completely understood the explanation of
why that is even though a number of people here tried to explain it. But, I
do remember that it was something that I had to keep in mind with subpanels.