Posted to alt.home.repair

Default New roof

Time for a new roof here. The roof I have is a double layer. My
parents had that done about 20 years ago. I can remember water coming
in at the fireplace when it rained. I thought the rain was coming in
from the chimney, but it turn out that the leak was where the chimney
meet the roof. Since the plywood of the roof was not replaced at the
time, I would like to have the plywood replaced at least at that spot
on the house. It doesn't leak now, but the insurance company has
noted the age of the roof and advised me to have it replaced.

What I am afraid of is what kind of rotting may have happened before
the roof was recovered. How would something like that be handled when
I get bids?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/26/14, 8:39 PM, Seymore4Head wrote:
Time for a new roof here. The roof I have is a double layer. My
parents had that done about 20 years ago. I can remember water coming
in at the fireplace when it rained. I thought the rain was coming in
from the chimney, but it turn out that the leak was where the chimney
meet the roof. Since the plywood of the roof was not replaced at the
time, I would like to have the plywood replaced at least at that spot
on the house. It doesn't leak now, but the insurance company has
noted the age of the roof and advised me to have it replaced.

What I am afraid of is what kind of rotting may have happened before
the roof was recovered. How would something like that be handled when
I get bids?

When my roof was done a few years ago due to hail damage, the
contractor said any decking that needed replaced would cost $2 per
square foot, parts & labor. Not covered by insurance. Mine needed
about 2 4x8 sheets replaced from old leaks. $90 total
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/26/2014 8:39 PM, Seymore4Head wrote:

What I am afraid of is what kind of rotting may have happened before
the roof was recovered. How would something like that be handled when
I get bids?

Any reputable roofer will tell you it will be $X per square foot. Just
hope there are not too many feet needing replacing.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 9/26/2014 8:39 PM, Seymore4Head wrote:

What I am afraid of is what kind of rotting may have happened before
the roof was recovered. How would something like that be handled when
I get bids?

Any reputable roofer will tell you it will be $X per square foot. Just
hope there are not too many feet needing replacing.

Hi,
May need new flashing around the chimney as well. Removing two layers of
shingles will cost too.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Retired" wrote in message ...
[...]

That's not a bad price. I have to re-roof soon myself and expecting having some repairs. Anyone, what type of plywood is standard? This is what HD has...
http://www.homedepot.com/b/Lumber-Co...d/N-5yc1vZc7q5

Posted to alt.home.repair

Tony Is right about the flashing. You'll want new flashing throughout.
New pipe boots should also be discussed.

Dave M.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 27 Sep 2014 14:41:29 -0400, "David L. Martel"
wrote:

Tony Is right about the flashing. You'll want new flashing throughout.
New pipe boots should also be discussed.

Dave M.

I will keep those suggestions in mind.
Thanks
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Tony Is right about the flashing. You'll want new flashing throughout.
New pipe boots should also be discussed.

Dave M.

I will keep those suggestions in mind.
Thanks

If a roofer was not doing that he'd be off my list. Reputable roofers
don't want call backs so they do a good job from the start.
Member

I think it varies from $2 to 5$ per square feet depends on that what type of material you want? and how much complicated the work is?
What your stock broker doesn’t want you to see