Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Refrigerator weirdness

The post that separates my freezer from the refrigerator is all of a
sudden very hot to the touch. It is hot all long the post, but even just
a 1/4 or so into the freezer and refrigerator the wall is fine as is
both the top and the bottom. Both sides are holding cold okay.
Anybody have any ideas and should I worry?
It is around a 10 y.o side by side Frigidair.
--
³Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive,
but what they conceal is vital.²
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/7/14, 6:00 PM, Kurt Ullman wrote:
The post that separates my freezer from the refrigerator is all of a
sudden very hot to the touch. It is hot all long the post, but even just
a 1/4 or so into the freezer and refrigerator the wall is fine as is
both the top and the bottom. Both sides are holding cold okay.
Anybody have any ideas and should I worry?
It is around a 10 y.o side by side Frigidair.

I just turned in a side-by-side GE, more than 20 years old, that did
that. It's called a yoder loop. It part of the high-side tubing, on
the way from the compressor to the evaporator. They run by the door to
prevent condensation.

If it's hotter than usual, the condenser may not be cooling as well as
it should. It could be dusty, or the blower fan could be slow or kaput.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/7/14, 7:00 PM, J Burns wrote:
blower fan

Blower fan... what other kind is there?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, September 7, 2014 7:00:32 PM UTC-4, J Burns wrote:
On 9/7/14, 6:00 PM, Kurt Ullman wrote:

The post that separates my freezer from the refrigerator is all of a

sudden very hot to the touch. It is hot all long the post, but even just

a 1/4 or so into the freezer and refrigerator the wall is fine as is

both the top and the bottom. Both sides are holding cold okay.

Anybody have any ideas and should I worry?

It is around a 10 y.o side by side Frigidair.

I just turned in a side-by-side GE, more than 20 years old, that did

that. It's called a yoder loop. It part of the high-side tubing, on

the way from the compressor to the evaporator. They run by the door to

prevent condensation.

If it's hotter than usual, the condenser may not be cooling as well as

it should. It could be dusty, or the blower fan could be slow or kaput.

+1

Most likely is that it's been that way all along and Kurt just didn't
notice it. Fridge here has it, for the reason you cite. Also, the
fridge doesn't run 24/7, so possible he just caught it when it was
running this time.
Senior Member

I just thought I'd mention another likely cause of a hot yoder loop. If the OP has recently put a lot of warm stuff in his fridge; like a case of 24 relatively warm beer.

The more warm stuff you put in the fridge, the more heat has to come out at the condensor, and the hotter that condensor coil (and hence yoder loop) will get.

Once that warm stuff that was put in the fridge gets cold, the temperature of the condenser coil should return to normal.

Last edited by nestork : September 8th 14 at 05:12 AM

Mower weirdness Kurt Ullman Home Repair 26 August 5th 13 09:07 PM
OT-UPS Weirdness SMS Home Repair 18 June 20th 13 01:03 AM
Windows Weirdness Jim Thompson[_3_] Electronic Schematics 52 July 4th 10 05:58 PM
A/C weirdness Jud McCranie[_2_] Home Repair 9 July 19th 08 07:12 AM
Ballast Weirdness Jim Jensen Home Repair 6 November 24th 06 07:20 PM