Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Report back on external dehumidifier control

Sorry if I posed this before, but I think, when I originally posted it,
the post fell in the bit bucket. So here it is, maybe again:

I previously reported that I got a replacement for the old Gree (GE)
dehumidifier. I used the check to buy a Frigidaire unit and a few $$$
to spend. The unit is, as was reported, quiet ... er and others. Its
fan does not run all the time, however it suffers from the problem, that
when it shuts off, moisture on the coils creates a false internal
control reading and restarts. Yeah, it did go through the goofy process
of purging the air, etc. But, it seemed to be running for fairly short
intervals many, many times. I previously reported that I was going to
try an external humidity controller. I bought one of the WH8040 units
on ebay. Of course, it was MIC (made in china), however, I resisted
buying it directly from China. I know, many of the US based sellers are
really just a mail drop and shipping places stateside. But anyway, it's
connected and working. I had to install a small 120v coil relay, as the
internal contacts of the WH8040 were marginal for the dehumidifier load.
I mounted it all in a plastic box and mounted it about 6 or 7' from
the dehumidifier. There is an external humidity sensor and temperature
sensor. After playing with the humidity settings and the hysteresis
setting, I'm happy to say it works great. BTW, I set the internal
humidity setting on the dehumidifier to a very low setting, so that it
will not interfere. It still, sometimes, plays the game of purging the
air, before starting the compressor, but so what. The internal humidity
setting in the humidifier has soooooo much lag. This one works the way
you want it. I can tell it what humidity to keep and how much above
before clicking on and how much below before shutting down. I can watch
the humidity, on the display, go up untile the trigger point, and then
down, to shut off. Now, why don't the build the humidifiers with an
external control?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, August 28, 2014 9:20:55 AM UTC-4, Art Todesco wrote:
[...]

They probably don't build it in because the existing system apparently
works well enough for most people and there is no mounting, extra work
involved. If I were making them, I'd consider offering an external control
as an optional accessory that you could buy separately and plug in to
the higher end product line. I guess you could include it built-in in
some skews and see how many people buy it. I would agree there probably
is a market for it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 28 Aug 2014 09:20:55 -0400, Art Todesco
wrote:

[...]

I guess I'm just in a cynical mood, but your competitors would all say
theirs cost less and (in big letters on the box) "NO External Control
Needed". Of course, you would get some sales from word of mouth from
those who understand why your way is better, but most people believe
what the boxes say.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Yeah, I guess I agree, but the engineer in me wants it work right. But,
my unit now works correctly. So, why not put the sensor in the plug,
kinda like the GFI plugs on hair dryers, etc?