Posted to alt.home.repair

Default crumbling block wall under porch slab

I have about a 2' wide area that the blocks are no longer supporting the slab. Basically the sidewalk was tilted toward house and water rested against the wall. I lifted the sidewalk, but not sure if I need to support the sale with new block. Is it okay to have the slab unsupported for that span?
And it is right at the center, where the steps lead to the porch. That will take the majority of the weight when people go onto the porch

Thanks for looking
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, August 14, 2014 1:04:16 PM UTC-4, wrote:
I have about a 2' wide area that the blocks are no longer supporting the slab. Basically the sidewalk was tilted toward house and water rested against the wall. I lifted the sidewalk, but not sure if I need to support the sale with new block. Is it okay to have the slab unsupported for that span?

And it is right at the center, where the steps lead to the porch. That will take the majority of the weight when people go onto the porch

Thanks for looking

Posting some pics on a pic hosting site is probably the best way to
get good advice. Typically sidewalks are not supported by block, but
are poured on a suitable stablized base.
Posted to alt.home.repair

It also somewhat depends on whether the slab is 3" thick or 6" thick, etc, so let's have a photo or two, and with a ruler as part of the picture to help us figure dimensions.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, August 14, 2014 1:04:16 PM UTC-4, wrote:
I have about a 2' wide area that the blocks are no longer supporting the slab. Basically the sidewalk was tilted toward house and water rested against the wall. I lifted the sidewalk, but not sure if I need to support the sale with new block. Is it okay to have the slab unsupported for that span?

And it is right at the center, where the steps lead to the porch. That will take the majority of the weight when people go onto the porch

Thanks for looking

sorry for delay in getting back here. First time user and kindof stumbled on it, could find my way back.

I will post pics Friday.
Thanks