Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Toilets

It gets confusing looking at all the makes and models.

Looking in the $250 range for a basic white, elongated toilet.

Looking at reviews, it appears people with bad experiences are more apt
to blast the manufacturers.

Suggestions welcome.

Thanks
Posted to alt.home.repair

I think most are fine. That didn't used to be true.
Older ones really didn't work very well with 1.6 gallon
flush. The best seems to be Toto. They're very
innovative, designing to optimize for 1.6 gallon
flush and smaller bowls. One example: With smaller
bowls it's hard for men to avoid splashing. Older
toilets had bigger bowls with bigger overhangs inside,
so there was no issue. But newer models have small,
low bowls. Toto designs their bowls deeper to solve
the problem.

"ralf" wrote in message
| It gets confusing looking at all the makes and models.
|
| Looking in the $250 range for a basic white, elongated toilet.
|
| Looking at reviews, it appears people with bad experiences are more apt
| to blast the manufacturers.
|
| Suggestions welcome.
|
| Thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 17 Jul 2014 20:29:03 -0400, ralf wrote:

It gets confusing looking at all the makes and models.

Looking in the $250 range for a basic white, elongated toilet.

Looking at reviews, it appears people with bad experiences are more apt
to blast the manufacturers.

Suggestions welcome.

Thanks

Don't buy a European one with little water in the bottom. Need cleaning
every time they are used. There's an earlier thread with a post by me
and the word toilet and one or more replies about European toilets.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"ralf" wrote in message
| It gets confusing looking at all the makes and models.
|
| Looking in the $250 range for a basic white, elongated toilet.
|
| Looking at reviews, it appears people with bad experiences are more apt
| to blast the manufacturers.
|
| Suggestions welcome.
|
| Thanks

Hi,
I am sold on Toto.
So far never failed us.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 17 Jul 2014 20:29:03 -0400, ralf wrote:

It gets confusing looking at all the makes and models.

Looking in the $250 range for a basic white, elongated toilet.

Looking at reviews, it appears people with bad experiences are more apt
to blast the manufacturers.

Suggestions welcome.

Thanks

I put this in last year, and it works fine.
http://tinyurl.com/n5uq6vh
Got it at Menards, but you can buy it elsewhere.
Maybe you can find a place that sells it for $250.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 17 Jul 2014 20:29:03 -0400, ralf wrote:

It gets confusing looking at all the makes and models.

Looking in the $250 range for a basic white, elongated toilet.

Looking at reviews, it appears people with bad experiences are more apt
to blast the manufacturers.

Suggestions welcome.

Thanks

At home, I have two Kohler comfort height elongated bowl. The reason
I bought them was the good experience with the same ones at work.
Flush flawlessly. I think it is Wellworth model.

American Standard and Toto have reliable models also.

Consider getting the Kohler eats too. The Q3 series are slow close,
easy to install or remove if you want to do a good cleaning on
occasion.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"ralf" wrote in message
| It gets confusing looking at all the makes and models.
|
| Looking in the $250 range for a basic white, elongated toilet.
|
| Looking at reviews, it appears people with bad experiences are more apt
| to blast the manufacturers.
|
| Suggestions welcome.
|
| Thanks

Hi,
I am sold on Toto.
So far never failed us.

I'm also a Toto fan.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/18/2014 8:02 AM, Frank wrote:
On 7/17/2014 11:46 PM, Tony Hwang wrote:

Hi,
I am sold on Toto.
So far never failed us.

I'm also a Toto fan.

I don't think we have poor 1.6 gal
toilets any more, Toto.
http://images.buycostumes.com/mgen/m...iser/40836.jpg

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/18/2014 8:16 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 7/18/2014 8:02 AM, Frank wrote:
On 7/17/2014 11:46 PM, Tony Hwang wrote:

Hi,
I am sold on Toto.
So far never failed us.

I'm also a Toto fan.

I don't think we have poor 1.6 gal
toilets any more, Toto.
http://images.buycostumes.com/mgen/m...iser/40836.jpg

I had a neighbor, Dorothy, who had a little dog.
Guess what she called it?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/18/2014 8:37 AM, Frank wrote:
On 7/18/2014 8:16 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

I don't think we have poor 1.6 gal
toilets any more, Toto.
http://images.buycostumes.com/mgen/m...iser/40836.jpg

I had a neighbor, Dorothy, who had a little dog.
Guess what she called it?

3. Elongated.
2. Jiggle the handle dog
3. That worthless piece of crap that
can't clear the bowl in one pass.

So, what did Dorothy call it?

--
..
Christopher A. Young

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/17/2014 8:29 PM, ralf wrote:
It gets confusing looking at all the makes and models.

Looking in the $250 range for a basic white, elongated toilet.

Looking at reviews, it appears people with bad experiences are more
apt to blast the manufacturers.

Suggestions welcome.

Thanks

Recently had a Gerber Avalanche installed. Used by 2 people. So far,
100% of first flushes have emptied the bowl.
Posted to alt.home.repair

ralf wrote:

Suggestions welcome.

A rather lengthy thread here a while back led us to purchase
the Kohler Cimmaron. After a year or more use now, it
has functioned perfectly. No regrets. We did spend a few extra
bucks to get the 1.6 gal. version, tho others here at the time were
likewise happy with their 1.28.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 7/18/2014 8:37 AM, Frank wrote:
On 7/18/2014 8:16 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

I don't think we have poor 1.6 gal
toilets any more, Toto.
http://images.buycostumes.com/mgen/m...iser/40836.jpg

I had a neighbor, Dorothy, who had a little dog.
Guess what she called it?

3. Elongated.
2. Jiggle the handle dog
3. That worthless piece of crap that
can't clear the bowl in one pass.

So, what did Dorothy call it?

Hi,
Toto being Japanese origin, there is a story about what they used to
test their toilet in design stage. They used tons of Japanese
Miso bean paste balls for flush testing.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 18 Jul 2014 00:36:47 -0500, Vic Smith
wrote:

On Thu, 17 Jul 2014 20:29:03 -0400, ralf wrote:

It gets confusing looking at all the makes and models.

Looking in the $250 range for a basic white, elongated toilet.

Looking at reviews, it appears people with bad experiences are more apt
to blast the manufacturers.

Suggestions welcome.

Thanks

I put this in last year, and it works fine.
http://tinyurl.com/n5uq6vh
Got it at Menards, but you can buy it elsewhere.
Maybe you can find a place that sells it for $250.

ROTL. You make a good point.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In ,
Peter typed:
On 7/17/2014 8:29 PM, ralf wrote:
It gets confusing looking at all the makes and models.

Looking in the $250 range for a basic white, elongated toilet.

Looking at reviews, it appears people with bad experiences are more
apt to blast the manufacturers.

Suggestions welcome.

Thanks

Recently had a Gerber Avalanche installed. Used by 2 people. So far,
100% of first flushes have emptied the bowl.

Don't get me started on the topic of Gerber toilets.

For at least 5 years now, all that I would buy were the standard, white,
round or elongated, Gerber toilets that were sold by my local plumbing
supply places -- the same ones that almost all of the local plumbers would
buy when replacing toilets for homeowners, investors, etc. They worked
great and flushed and re-filled fast and well. They cost about $115 or
$120. I have several rental properties plus some properties that I help
maintain for the place where I work, so switching out old toilets was a
fairly routine and common task.

The problem is that Gerber recently got the bright idea (maybe 9 or 10
months ago) to change the design of their toilets. They thought that the
new federal law or standard was going to require 1.28 gallon flush toilets
instead of 1.6 gallon. The new design that they created caused nothing but
problems, and plumbing supply houses no longer had or could get the same
standard Gerber toilets that they used to have to sell to their customers
and plumbers.

Now, Gerber has some nonsense model, which I think is called Gerber
Avalanche, and which is supposed to be compatible with 1.28 gallon or 1.6
gallon flush toilet standards -- depending on which size tank it came with.
Unfortunately, it has a different size (much larger) flapper in it, which is
not the standard size flappers that are otherwise sold and available
everywhere. So, to change the flapper, you have to order or buy a special
part or special size flapper for the new Gerber toilets.

I am now looking for another standard model toilet to buy in the future for
toilet replacements instead of my old standby -- Gerber.

Posted to alt.home.repair

ralf wrote:
It gets confusing looking at all the makes and models.

Looking in the $250 range for a basic white, elongated toilet.

Looking at reviews, it appears people with bad experiences are more apt
to blast the manufacturers.

Suggestions welcome.

Thanks

Toto makes fine toilets, but their price is often well above $250.
Posted to alt.home.repair

ralf wrote:

It gets confusing looking at all the makes and models.

I strongly suggest you avoid all the annecdotal stories and go here to look at
real testing results. Then select a toilet that is rated 1000.

Note that the historical performance of a brand is of limited use as
manufacturers can and do changet he mold size. Also note that MaP is not a
protected term. Some manufacturers place their own MaP ratings on a box with no
performance testing to back up the number.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Arthur Conan Doyle wrote:

I strongly suggest you avoid all the annecdotal stories and go here to look at
real testing results. Then select a toilet that is rated 1000.

http://www.dev.map-testing.com/asset...pe_toilets.pdf
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Toilets Go where?

Arthur Conan Doyle posted for all of us...

And I know how to SNIP

I strongly suggest you avoid all the annecdotal stories and go here to look at
real testing results. Then select a toilet that is rated 1000.

Where? In the toilet dummy.

--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, July 20, 2014 5:01:57 PM UTC-4, Tekkie® wrote:
Arthur Conan Doyle posted for all of us...

And I know how to SNIP

I strongly suggest you avoid all the annecdotal stories and go here to look at

real testing results. Then select a toilet that is rated 1000.

Where? In the toilet dummy.

--

Tekkie

tekkie believes he knows how to snip.....

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 20 Jul 2014 08:56:49 -0600, Arthur Conan Doyle
wrote:

Arthur Conan Doyle wrote:

I strongly suggest you avoid all the annecdotal stories and go here to look at
real testing results. Then select a toilet that is rated 1000.

http://www.dev.map-testing.com/asset...pe_toilets.pdf

Interesting. A 68 page PDF file that does not give real "annecdotal
stories". Experiences of and from owners, which I suggest the OP was
looking for.
Posted to alt.home.repair

I have a new comfort height Toto and it flushes fine, but the low water means that doing #2 can require frequent cleaning, not every time, but often. I like the slow drop toilet seat. The thing that would make this really cool, not sure if it is even available, would be some sort of electric button flush instead of the handle.

Toilets again Ed Pawlowski Home Repair 14 May 26th 13 11:39 PM
New toilets yo[_4_] Home Repair 12 February 17th 11 03:59 AM
The end of flushing toilets Bob Home Repair 8 November 21st 08 11:23 PM
Old toilets # Fred # Home Repair 13 August 18th 06 02:26 AM
Toilets... dirty stinking toilets! dougga Home Repair 6 October 27th 04 06:56 PM