Posted to alt.home.repair

Default how to tell if a circuit breker is "bad"

A friend had some other friends staying at their beach house, and there were
"problems" with the power. This is third hand, so who knows what the real
story is. I may take a short beach vacation to see for myself.

it MAY be something like:

with both washer and dryer on, power went out. Maybe the main tripped. Or
maybe one side of the main tripped. Or maybe one side of the dryer breaker
tripped.

There is a lot of power consumption and maybe the line voltage was a bit
low?

How does one tell if a breaker is acting funny, like only blowing one side?
Or if the main is tripping a bit too easily? Do you just buy a few new
breakers and give them a whirl?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 14 Jul 2014 15:25:59 -0700, "Pico Rico"
wrote:

A friend had some other friends staying at their beach house, and there were
"problems" with the power. This is third hand, so who knows what the real
story is. I may take a short beach vacation to see for myself.

it MAY be something like:

with both washer and dryer on, power went out. Maybe the main tripped. Or
maybe one side of the main tripped. Or maybe one side of the dryer breaker
tripped.

There is a lot of power consumption and maybe the line voltage was a bit
low?

How does one tell if a breaker is acting funny, like only blowing one side?
Or if the main is tripping a bit too easily? Do you just buy a few new
breakers and give them a whirl?

DO NOT take my electrical advice. I can make smoke

I have a known good, 50 AMP double breaker removed by the HVAC guy. I
think is was a youtube video that showed how to do a continuity test
on the breaker with a meter. The breaker is on the bench, of course.
Continuity was good, based on the testing - off/on on each side. It
'seems' to support what the video explained. But don't trust me on
this.
--
Definition of a camel: A horse designed by a committee
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/14/2014 6:25 PM, Pico Rico wrote:
A friend had some other friends staying at their beach house, and there were
"problems" with the power. This is third hand, so who knows what the real
story is. I may take a short beach vacation to see for myself.

it MAY be something like:

with both washer and dryer on, power went out. Maybe the main tripped. Or
maybe one side of the main tripped. Or maybe one side of the dryer breaker
tripped.

There is a lot of power consumption and maybe the line voltage was a bit
low?

How does one tell if a breaker is acting funny, like only blowing one side?
Or if the main is tripping a bit too easily? Do you just buy a few new
breakers and give them a whirl?

Only way I know, is to put ammeter on the wire, and see
what the amp draw when the breaker trips. Usually they
are cheap enough to swap one in, and see if it works
better.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

A friend had some other friends staying at their beach house, and there were
"problems" with the power. This is third hand, so who knows what the real
story is. I may take a short beach vacation to see for myself.

it MAY be something like:

with both washer and dryer on, power went out. Maybe the main tripped. Or
maybe one side of the main tripped. Or maybe one side of the dryer breaker
tripped.

There is a lot of power consumption and maybe the line voltage was a bit
low?

How does one tell if a breaker is acting funny, like only blowing one side?
Or if the main is tripping a bit too easily? Do you just buy a few new
breakers and give them a whirl?

It could be something as simple as don't use the toaster and the
coffee pot at the same time.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

If a double pole breaker only trips one side , it's bad , toss it there's a
mechanical link inside that trips the other side if one side overloads. If
a breaker trips repeatedly under normal loading , IE the usual devices
running but it won't hold the load , it's bad , toss it . Same thing for the
main , if it trips out under normal loads , it's bad , toss it . DO NOT
under any circumstances use a new breaker with a higher load rating !

--
Snag

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

that is fine, but we will be having Eva Gabor staying at the house.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 14 Jul 2014 18:13:57 -0700, "Pico Rico"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

[...]

Have breakfast catered.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Hi,
I'd check to make sure all the connections are in good order on
breakers first.