DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   OT Which direction is your ceiling fan SUPPOSED to run? (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/372343-ot-direction-your-ceiling-fan-supposed-run.html)

RobertMacy July 4th 14 12:27 AM

OT Which direction is your ceiling fan SUPPOSED to run?

It's HOT, so I thought run the ceiling fan so the cool air comes across
the stone flooring and moves by me to be sucked up into the ceiling fan -
so I feel cooler. Fan is set to move air UP

Earlier I thought run the fan directly onto me gently moving air straight
at me, which is DOWN. But when I did that, after 10-15min felt hotter in
the room.

Just saw one of those home shows, says in winter run the fan to move air
UP so the hot air moves along the ceiling and down your walls. And, in the
summer run your fan DOWN, with NO explanation, except claiming that lowers
your temperature 4-5 degrees [which is impossible in a CLOSED system] and
save up to 40% on air conditioning [what planet do THEY live on?]

So my question is WHICH way is this !@#$#@ system designed for? UP or DOWN
air in the summer?

Pico Rico July 4th 14 12:29 AM

"RobertMacy" wrote in message
It's HOT, so I thought run the ceiling fan so the cool air comes across
the stone flooring and moves by me to be sucked up into the ceiling fan -
so I feel cooler. Fan is set to move air UP

Earlier I thought run the fan directly onto me gently moving air straight
at me, which is DOWN. But when I did that, after 10-15min felt hotter in
the room.

Just saw one of those home shows, says in winter run the fan to move air
UP so the hot air moves along the ceiling and down your walls. And, in the
summer run your fan DOWN, with NO explanation, except claiming that lowers
your temperature 4-5 degrees [which is impossible in a CLOSED system] and
save up to 40% on air conditioning [what planet do THEY live on?]

So my question is WHICH way is this !@#$#@ system designed for? UP or DOWN
air in the summer?

it depends if you have air conditioning.

Jim Thompson[_3_] July 4th 14 12:32 AM

OT Which direction is your ceiling fan SUPPOSED to run?

On Thu, 03 Jul 2014 16:27:29 -0700, RobertMacy
wrote:

It's HOT, so I thought run the ceiling fan so the cool air comes across
the stone flooring and moves by me to be sucked up into the ceiling fan -
so I feel cooler. Fan is set to move air UP

Earlier I thought run the fan directly onto me gently moving air straight
at me, which is DOWN. But when I did that, after 10-15min felt hotter in
the room.

Just saw one of those home shows, says in winter run the fan to move air
UP so the hot air moves along the ceiling and down your walls. And, in the
summer run your fan DOWN, with NO explanation, except claiming that lowers
your temperature 4-5 degrees [which is impossible in a CLOSED system] and
save up to 40% on air conditioning [what planet do THEY live on?]

So my question is WHICH way is this !@#$#@ system designed for? UP or DOWN
air in the summer?

I run UP all seasons.... moves the air within putting myself in a
wind.

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson | mens |
| Analog Innovations | et |

RobertMacy July 4th 14 12:35 AM

OT Which direction is your ceiling fan SUPPOSED to run?

On Thu, 03 Jul 2014 16:29:47 -0700, Pico Rico
wrote:

"RobertMacy" wrote in message
...snip...
So my question is WHICH way is this !@#$#@ system designed for? UP or
DOWN
air in the summer?

it depends if you have air conditioning.

again which way? for what reason? elaborate?

RobertMacy July 4th 14 12:38 AM

OT Which direction is your ceiling fan SUPPOSED to run?

On Thu, 03 Jul 2014 16:32:58 -0700, Jim Thompson
wrote:

...snip...

I run UP all seasons.... moves the air within putting myself in a
wind.

...Jim Thompson

EXACTLY! In the summer cooler, in the winter the hot ceiling air does get
a chance to slide down the cooler external wall, heating them a bit.
....I'm going to go change them all back. Experts! phewey!

John Larkin[_3_] July 4th 14 12:39 AM

wrote:

It's HOT, so I thought run the ceiling fan so the cool air comes across
the stone flooring and moves by me to be sucked up into the ceiling fan -
so I feel cooler. Fan is set to move air UP

Earlier I thought run the fan directly onto me gently moving air straight
at me, which is DOWN. But when I did that, after 10-15min felt hotter in
the room.

Just saw one of those home shows, says in winter run the fan to move air
UP so the hot air moves along the ceiling and down your walls. And, in the
summer run your fan DOWN, with NO explanation, except claiming that lowers
your temperature 4-5 degrees [which is impossible in a CLOSED system] and
save up to 40% on air conditioning [what planet do THEY live on?]

So my question is WHICH way is this !@#$#@ system designed for? UP or DOWN
air in the summer?

Mine doesn't reverse, it always blows down. I don't think the blades
can be switched.

We don't have a/c, so the only time we use the fan is when it's warm
at night. Works great.

--

John Larkin Highland Technology, Inc

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Joerg[_2_] July 4th 14 12:44 AM

wrote:

[...]

Yup. Same here.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Rheilly Phoull[_2_] July 4th 14 12:44 AM

On 04/07/14 07:38, RobertMacy wrote:
On Thu, 03 Jul 2014 16:32:58 -0700, Jim Thompson
wrote:

...snip...

I run UP all seasons.... moves the air within putting myself in a
wind.

...Jim Thompson

EXACTLY! In the summer cooler, in the winter the hot ceiling air does
get a chance to slide down the cooler external wall, heating them a
bit. ...I'm going to go change them all back. Experts! phewey!

The idea of a direct draft downwards is to make you feel cooler due to
the evaporation of your perspiration, why not make up your own mind and
use whatever feels the best.

[email protected] July 4th 14 12:48 AM

OT Which direction is your ceiling fan SUPPOSED to run?

The instructions for my Hunter suggest blowing v(down arrow) in winter, to keep heat closer to occupants, and ^ in summer, to lift heat up. Those instructions are for a 12" or longer shaft betweem the ceiling and the motor turning the blades.

For my fan - a flush 'ceiling hugger' - instructions are to run v in summer, since there is insufficient clearance for fan to create updraft.

RobertMacy July 4th 14 12:50 AM

OT Which direction is your ceiling fan SUPPOSED to run?

On Thu, 03 Jul 2014 16:39:33 -0700, John Larkin
wrote:

...snip....

Mine doesn't reverse, it always blows down. I don't think the blades
can be switched.

We don't have a/c, so the only time we use the fan is when it's warm
at night. Works great.

AZ housing is noted for these fans. We have eight laced throughout the
house. Three speed settings, two chains, one for fan one for light, and
always two switches on the walls for each fan, and a 'direction switch' on
the side of the housing, requires a ladder to get to that is very
intelligently mnemonic, slide up air moves UP, slide down air moves DOWN.
noiseless critters, too.

RobertMacy July 4th 14 12:53 AM

OT Which direction is your ceiling fan SUPPOSED to run?

On Thu, 03 Jul 2014 16:44:53 -0700, Joerg wrote:

Jim Thompson wrote:
...snip....

I run UP all seasons.... moves the air within putting myself in a
wind.

Yup. Same here.

THANKS, again empirical evidence opposite the 'experts'!

Pico Rico July 4th 14 01:00 AM

wrote:

"RobertMacy" wrote in message
...snip...
So my question is WHICH way is this !@#$#@ system designed for? UP or
DOWN
air in the summer?

it depends if you have air conditioning.

again which way? for what reason? elaborate?

heat rises. If you have ac, you want to push the warm air down so it can
become ac'd. If you don't have ac, you might as well leave the warm air up
there were it will be less noticed.

John Larkin[_3_] July 4th 14 01:11 AM

OT Which direction is your ceiling fan SUPPOSED to run?

On Thu, 03 Jul 2014 16:50:22 -0700, RobertMacy
wrote:

On Thu, 03 Jul 2014 16:39:33 -0700, John Larkin
wrote:

...snip....

Mine doesn't reverse, it always blows down. I don't think the blades
can be switched.

We don't have a/c, so the only time we use the fan is when it's warm
at night. Works great.

AZ housing is noted for these fans. We have eight laced throughout the
house. Three speed settings, two chains, one for fan one for light, and
always two switches on the walls for each fan, and a 'direction switch' on
the side of the housing, requires a ladder to get to that is very
intelligently mnemonic, slide up air moves UP, slide down air moves DOWN.
noiseless critters, too.

Mine cost $40 at Home Depot and doesn't have all those fancy features;
3 speeds, no light, no direction. It is quiet. In our climate, we
probably use it 5 or 10 nights per year, for the rare heat wave.

Ceiling fans are impressive. They seem to last forever.

I did tie it into the ceiling real good. Nothing wrecks your sleep
like a fan falling on you.

RobertMacy July 4th 14 01:22 AM

OT Which direction is your ceiling fan SUPPOSED to run?

On Thu, 03 Jul 2014 17:11:23 -0700, John Larkin
wrote:

...snip...

I did tie it into the ceiling real good. Nothing wrecks your sleep
like a fan falling on you.

These fans are probably a bit more.

you just reminded me that UP air is going to turn the fan into a chopper
if accidently raise up into it!

Red Green July 4th 14 01:34 AM

OT Which direction is your ceiling fan SUPPOSED to run?

RobertMacy wrote in

It's HOT, so I thought run the ceiling fan so the cool air comes
across the stone flooring and moves by me to be sucked up into the
ceiling fan - so I feel cooler. Fan is set to move air UP

Earlier I thought run the fan directly onto me gently moving air
straight at me, which is DOWN. But when I did that, after 10-15min
felt hotter in the room.

Just saw one of those home shows, says in winter run the fan to move
air UP so the hot air moves along the ceiling and down your walls.
And, in the summer run your fan DOWN, with NO explanation, except
claiming that lowers your temperature 4-5 degrees [which is
impossible in a CLOSED system] and save up to 40% on air conditioning
[what planet do THEY live on?]

I can only answer one of your questions. See red marking.

http://tinypic.com/r/whxjpl/8

Tony Hwang July 4th 14 01:42 AM

OT Which direction is your ceiling fan SUPPOSED to run?

Mine cost $40 at Home Depot and doesn't have all those fancy features;
3 speeds, no light, no direction. It is quiet. In our climate, we
probably use it 5 or 10 nights per year, for the rare heat wave.

Ceiling fans are impressive. They seem to last forever.

I did tie it into the ceiling real good. Nothing wrecks your sleep
like a fan falling on you.

Hi,
Sounds like you have an experience with falling ceiling fan on you?
I have 3 of them fancy ones on top floor of the house. Very seldom use
them. Today it is VERY hot(for us at least), 30.7C in my front yard.
30C temp. here is not usual. Rather -30C is usual in winter, LOL!

rickman July 4th 14 01:54 AM

On 7/3/2014 7:53 PM, RobertMacy wrote:
On Thu, 03 Jul 2014 16:44:53 -0700, Joerg wrote:

Jim Thompson wrote:
...snip....
I run UP all seasons.... moves the air within putting myself in a
wind.

Yup. Same here.

THANKS, again empirical evidence opposite the 'experts'!

Wow, you seem to have a problem with authority. Of course you can use
the fan anyway you wish. The recommendation has nothing to do with your
house, it has to do with your skin. As others have pointed out when it
is warm a slight breeze can feel good, so the fan is set to blow down so
you can feel it. In the winter when it is cool you don't want to feel
the breeze, so set it to up. By the time the circulation reaches you it
is greatly dispersed and you don't feel the cool air so much.

My bed is right under a window and I tried adding a plastic film to seal
off the draft. But that only worked so well. I tried adding some
cardboard as layers of insulation behind the blind and still felt a cold
draft. Turns out I was reducing the heat flow through the window, but
that was not the full problem. The air by the window would still get
cold, but since it got cold slowly it fell slowly still lowering
temperature significantly by the time it fell on my bed. It took a 3/4
inch sheet of Styrofoam tightly fitted to the window before I could
sleep in that bed. This was a cold winter here and that draft was
unbearable! It only takes a very little air flow to create a very
noticeable draft in the winter because the air can be rather cold. That
is why you want the fan blowing up if at all in the winter. I turn mine
off in the winter. I don't think it changes the electric bill
noticeably one way or the other or the comfort in the room.

--

Rick

rickman July 4th 14 02:01 AM

On 7/3/2014 8:42 PM, Tony Hwang wrote:

Mine cost $40 at Home Depot and doesn't have all those fancy features;
3 speeds, no light, no direction. It is quiet. In our climate, we
probably use it 5 or 10 nights per year, for the rare heat wave.

Ceiling fans are impressive. They seem to last forever.

I did tie it into the ceiling real good. Nothing wrecks your sleep
like a fan falling on you.

Hi,
Sounds like you have an experience with falling ceiling fan on you?
I have 3 of them fancy ones on top floor of the house. Very seldom use
them. Today it is VERY hot(for us at least), 30.7C in my front yard.
30C temp. here is not usual. Rather -30C is usual in winter, LOL!

30°C doesn't sound so bad to me. I like the 30°C days. It is the 33°C
days like we've been having when it starts to be a bother. This weekend
should be nice though. High around 30°C, low around 14°C at night.
Nice sleeping weather.

--

Rick

RobertMacy July 4th 14 02:04 AM

OT Which direction is your ceiling fan SUPPOSED to run?

On Thu, 03 Jul 2014 17:34:44 -0700, Red Green wrote:

RobertMacy wrote in
...snip....
claiming that lowers your temperature 4-5 degrees [which is
impossible in a CLOSED system] and save up to 40% on air conditioning
[what planet do THEY live on?]

I can only answer one of your questions. See red marking.

http://tinypic.com/r/whxjpl/8

Went there, waited ...and waited ...and waited, forgot what it was all
about, couldn't read the tiny little words, so gave up cursing and
swearing under my breath to return here ready to lambaste your reply when
upon rereading, realized what that image was! then, LOL!

Plus, the images had an unusual coordinate system for showing those
spatial diagrams. Had you not shown me those images, I NEVER would have
thought of using that type of presentation to potential clients for
showing accuracy of our proposed position-location system in that simple
manner, THANKS! See, there's a reason for everything!

[email protected] July 4th 14 02:18 AM

OT Which direction is your ceiling fan SUPPOSED to run?

On Thu, 03 Jul 2014 16:38:12 -0700, RobertMacy
wrote:

On Thu, 03 Jul 2014 16:32:58 -0700, Jim Thompson
wrote:

...snip...

I run UP all seasons.... moves the air within putting myself in a
wind.

...Jim Thompson

EXACTLY! In the summer cooler, in the winter the hot ceiling air does get
a chance to slide down the cooler external wall, heating them a bit.
...I'm going to go change them all back. Experts! phewey!

The theory is to move the hot air from the ceiling down to the living
space in the winter. Depending the use of the space, summer may
require up or down. If air conditioned you can get away with keeping
temps at least 4 degrees warmer if you keep the fan running down
because the light breeze helps cool.
Running the fan UP draws the cool air from the floor up to the ceiling
and circulates the air across the ceiling to spill down the walls.
Doesn't work as well with "architectural" ceilings.

I just put 2 70 inch fans in the office - 6 speed - running down on
4th speed -13 and 15 foot ceilings with architectural features -
(former theatre)

Jeff Liebermann July 4th 14 02:19 AM

wrote:

So my question is WHICH way is this !@#$#@ system designed for? UP or DOWN
air in the summer?

If your room is a well insulated adiabatic system, it doesn't matter.
The fan just mixes the air until the air in the room is all the same
temperature. Whether you mix from the bottom or top has little effect
on the final temperature.

However, if the system leaks and is therefore not adiabatic, the story
is a little different. Heat will be introduced into the room through
the ceiling and windows. The result with be a temperature gradient
where the ceiling and window air are warmer than the air near the
floor. The only temperature of importance is your head, which
radiates most of the waste heat from your body. Because it is closer
to the ceiling than the floor, a fan blowing downward will heat your
head instead of cooling it, as you observed.

So, if you have a leaky system, blow the colder air from the floor
upwards. If you have a well insulated system, it doesn't matter as
all the air will eventually be the same temperature.

If you have a thermistor temp probe and meter, you could wave it
around various locations in the room and see how you're doing on
insulation. If you find that the ceiling air is very much warmer than
room air (near the floor), it might pay to look into a ceiling exhaust
fan.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D

RobertMacy July 4th 14 02:19 AM

OT Which direction is your ceiling fan SUPPOSED to run?

On Thu, 03 Jul 2014 17:54:04 -0700, rickman wrote:

...snip...

Wow, you seem to have a problem with authority. Of course you can use
the fan anyway you wish.

Problem with authority? Maybe, but it was a LEARNED response.

Actually, I was trying to confirm whether others experienced what I had
found empirically, and was in direct opposition to the 'experts'
suggestion. Plus, convince Ms. Macy that I am NOT an idiot and delusional
for thinking I know more than the experts on these House shows.

The recommendation has nothing to do with your
house, it has to do with your skin. As others have pointed out when it
is warm a slight breeze can feel good, so the fan is set to blow down so
you can feel it. In the winter when it is cool you don't want to feel
the breeze, so set it to up. By the time the circulation reaches you it
is greatly dispersed and you don't feel the cool air so much.

I thought that way too, directly blowing down onto me in hot weather
'sounded' better. But just confirmed that blowing down on me ended up
'feeling' a good 5 degrees hotter, than letting air come in from the
sides. I now have the fan set for UP and it feels cooler in the room than
with NO fan. And earlier it definitely felt hotter with the fan blowing
DOWN, by several degrees above what it was like with NO fam.

[...]

At University I had a roomate who during the summer would go logging for
piece meal wages to make great money. He said they roasted all day, like
into the 80's, 90's, and froze at night in their cabins. Wake up in the
morning to find a sheet of ice frozen over standing water in any dish!
Now THAT's cold. He said the money was worth it, though.

[email protected] July 4th 14 02:24 AM

On Thu, 03 Jul 2014 21:01:14 -0400, rickman wrote:

[...]

Low humidity 30C is comfortable. 28C and 60+% humidity is a different
story. But still better than 39C and 90+% humidity in Livingstone in
October!!!

RobertMacy July 4th 14 02:26 AM

On Thu, 03 Jul 2014 16:48:25 -0700, wrote:

The instructions for my Hunter suggest blowing v(down arrow) in winter,
to keep heat closer to occupants, and ^ in summer, to lift heat up.
Those instructions are for a 12" or longer shaft betweem the ceiling and
the motor turning the blades.

For my fan - a flush 'ceiling hugger' - instructions are to run v in
summer, since there is insufficient clearance for fan to create updraft.

I didn't think to see if the manual for these fans says anything about air
direction. Great, trip over those damn little manuals [one for each fan]
for a year, now can't find a single one!

aha! distance to the ceiling making a difference, hmmmm, 10 ft ceilings so
the fan has the luxury of being down a bit from the ceiling.

assume 'v' mean down?

RobertMacy July 4th 14 02:29 AM

OT Which direction is your ceiling fan SUPPOSED to run?

On Thu, 03 Jul 2014 18:18:43 -0700, wrote:

...snip....

space in the winter. Depending the use of the space, summer may
require up or down. If air conditioned you can get away with keeping
temps at least 4 degrees warmer if you keep the fan running down
because the light breeze helps cool.
Running the fan UP draws the cool air from the floor up to the ceiling
and circulates the air across the ceiling to spill down the walls.
Doesn't work as well with "architectural" ceilings.

I just put 2 70 inch fans in the office - 6 speed - running down on
4th speed -13 and 15 foot ceilings with architectural features -
(former theatre)

wow, sounds neat!

just got done with a 'side by side' comparison;
DOWN is HOTTER than no fan! even though the air hits you more directly
just seems to become hot air.
UP is COOLER than no fan! keep getting cold drafts from every side. well
'cool' drafts.

RobertMacy July 4th 14 02:40 AM

OT Which direction is your ceiling fan SUPPOSED to run?

On Thu, 03 Jul 2014 18:19:00 -0700, Jeff Liebermann
wrote:

...snip....
If you have a thermistor temp probe and meter, you could wave it
around various locations in the room and see how you're doing on
insulation. If you find that the ceiling air is very much warmer than
room air (near the floor), it might pay to look into a ceiling exhaust
fan.

True, a bit leaky into the rest of the house and a lot of thermal storage
out there in the form of a few thousand sq ft of travertine stones.

This is 2008 construction in AZ custom built for an owner, walls are like
R-22, or such and ceilings are like R-30+ or such.

Ceiling exhaust fan !!! when it's 105 outside no way!!! you want me to
suck in outside air at those temps??!!

Let's see at night 81 during day 105, making the average high side of 93,
sounds about right.

Since I painted my house a darker color and take advanatage of 'night time
radiation' the average in our house has dropped substantially. Who would
have thought? dark house = cooler average, light colored house = hotter
average. but true we noticed a difference the moment the house was painted.

Tony Hwang July 4th 14 03:09 AM

wrote:
[...]

I just took a look on my Davis weather station console. 32% indoor, 43%
outdoor humidity. This week end Stampede starts, hope we have good, dry
weather next 10 days.

[email protected] July 4th 14 03:26 AM

wrote:

It's HOT, so I thought run the ceiling fan so the cool air comes across
the stone flooring and moves by me to be sucked up into the ceiling fan -
so I feel cooler. Fan is set to move air UP

Down in Summer, up in Winter. A breeze cools.

Earlier I thought run the fan directly onto me gently moving air straight
at me, which is DOWN. But when I did that, after 10-15min felt hotter in
the room.

Just saw one of those home shows, says in winter run the fan to move air
UP so the hot air moves along the ceiling and down your walls. And, in the
summer run your fan DOWN, with NO explanation, except claiming that lowers
your temperature 4-5 degrees [which is impossible in a CLOSED system] and
save up to 40% on air conditioning [what planet do THEY live on?]

It doesn't do anything for the temperature (other than raise it
slightly - power dissipation of the fan) but a breeze will cool you
off. You don't want this in the Winter but you may want to mix the
air, so it should be up and on low so you don't feel a draft. Low will
mix the air, just fine.

[email protected] July 4th 14 03:28 AM

OT Which direction is your ceiling fan SUPPOSED to run?

wrote:

"RobertMacy" wrote in message
...snip...
So my question is WHICH way is this !@#$#@ system designed for? UP or
DOWN
air in the summer?

it depends if you have air conditioning.

again which way? for what reason? elaborate?

heat rises. If you have ac, you want to push the warm air down so it can
become ac'd. If you don't have ac, you might as well leave the warm air up
there were it will be less noticed.

But you can cool to a higher temperature if you help the convection
off your skin. Add in evaporative cooling and a breeze is a big win,
at least in small rooms, like a home.

[email protected] July 4th 14 03:31 AM

wrote:

On Thu, 03 Jul 2014 16:39:33 -0700, John Larkin
wrote:

...snip....

Mine doesn't reverse, it always blows down. I don't think the blades
can be switched.

We don't have a/c, so the only time we use the fan is when it's warm
at night. Works great.

AZ housing is noted for these fans. We have eight laced throughout the
house. Three speed settings, two chains, one for fan one for light, and
always two switches on the walls for each fan, and a 'direction switch' on
the side of the housing, requires a ladder to get to that is very
intelligently mnemonic, slide up air moves UP, slide down air moves DOWN.
noiseless critters, too.

Ours have pull-chains for both switches (even though all but one have
two wall switches, and that one has two switches but only one is
connected for some reason).

[email protected] July 4th 14 03:41 AM

OT Which direction is your ceiling fan SUPPOSED to run?

On Thu, 03 Jul 2014 18:29:46 -0700, RobertMacy
wrote:

[...]

Air conditioned, or not?? In the "theatre" we were able to crank the
AC up 4 degrees C without people complaining of heat, and the "upper
deck" area is now cool instead of toasty. (about 1/3 of the "theatre"
is about 16" higher (floor) than the rest - with level ceiling.
Originally was 3 levels, 1/3 low, 1/3 up one step, and 1/3 up another
step. A few of the girls should wear more clothes - they complain
their legs get cold.

rickman July 4th 14 03:43 AM

On 7/3/2014 9:19 PM, RobertMacy wrote:
[...]

I can't explain that and it is in direct opposition to what I have
observed. With the fan blowing down gently I feel the breeze and it
helps. I never felt like the air was a warm wind. With the fan blowing
up I don't feel anything, but then my ceiling may be higher than yours,
it is a cathedral ceiling. I do use it for dispersing the stuff that
triggers the smoke detector. If you like your toast dark it goes off.
Turn on the fan and in a minute it goes off.

[...]

Money is money. I am barely willing to do regular work these days.
Once you get some how much do you need?

--

Rick

[email protected] July 4th 14 03:44 AM

OT Which direction is your ceiling fan SUPPOSED to run?

On Thu, 03 Jul 2014 20:09:24 -0600, Tony Hwang

[...]

I'm sitting at 24C and 41% right now without the AC on. Was 13C
outside this morning, and 25-ish later in the day -likely 45%. Not
nearly as hot and humid as earlier in the week.

[email protected] July 4th 14 03:56 AM

On Thu, 03 Jul 2014 22:44:44 -0400, wrote:

[...]

Just checked - 14C and 81% outside right now in Waterloo.

Jon Danniken[_7_] July 4th 14 04:39 AM

On 07/03/2014 04:27 PM, RobertMacy wrote:

So my question is WHICH way is this !@#$#@ system designed for? UP or
DOWN air in the summer?

Move the air down in the summer so the breeze keeps you cool, move the
air up in the winter to push the heat out of hugging the ceiling.

Jon

Pico Rico July 4th 14 04:56 AM

"Jon Danniken" wrote in message
On 07/03/2014 04:27 PM, RobertMacy wrote:

So my question is WHICH way is this !@#$#@ system designed for? UP or
DOWN air in the summer?

Move the air down in the summer so the breeze keeps you cool, move the
air up in the winter to push the heat out of hugging the ceiling.

Jon

move the air up in the summer so you aren't blasting yourself with warm air,
move the air down in the winter to push the warm air down where you live.

I think a lot of this has to do with how tall your ceilings are, and your
specific temperature differentials.

rickman July 4th 14 05:17 AM

wrote:

So my question is WHICH way is this !@#$#@ system designed for? UP or DOWN
air in the summer?

If your room is a well insulated adiabatic system, it doesn't matter.
The fan just mixes the air until the air in the room is all the same
temperature. Whether you mix from the bottom or top has little effect
on the final temperature.

However, if the system leaks and is therefore not adiabatic, the story
is a little different. Heat will be introduced into the room through
the ceiling and windows. The result with be a temperature gradient
where the ceiling and window air are warmer than the air near the
floor. The only temperature of importance is your head, which
radiates most of the waste heat from your body.

I would love to see a reference for this factoid. It is an often
perpetuated myth that half you heat leaves your body through your head.
Simply not supported by the facts.

Because it is closer
to the ceiling than the floor, a fan blowing downward will heat your
head instead of cooling it, as you observed.

This statement shows no understanding of human physiology. Even
ignoring the issue of perspiration and evaporative cooling, the human
body is nominally at 98°F and will be cooled better in an airstream of
even 90°F than in still air.

--

Rick

Jeff Liebermann July 4th 14 05:28 AM

OT Which direction is your ceiling fan SUPPOSED to run?

On Thu, 03 Jul 2014 18:40:06 -0700, RobertMacy
wrote:

Ceiling exhaust fan !!! when it's 105 outside no way!!! you want me to
suck in outside air at those temps??!!

Let's see at night 81 during day 105, making the average high side of 93,
sounds about right.

I thought it gets kinda cold at night in Az. I've only been there
once. It was quite hot during the day, but we nearly froze sleeping
in the car at night.

Since I painted my house a darker color and take advanatage of 'night time
radiation' the average in our house has dropped substantially. Who would
have thought? dark house = cooler average, light colored house = hotter
average. but true we noticed a difference the moment the house was painted.

In some areas, white rocks and white roofs are required by code to
reduce air conditioning requirements. It's suppose to reflect the
sunlight instead of absorbing it. Now, you're telling me that the
collective wisdom of the local planning department might be wrong? Are
you sure?

Tim Wescott[_5_] July 4th 14 05:57 AM

wrote:

"RobertMacy" wrote in message
...snip...
So my question is WHICH way is this !@#$#@ system designed for? UP
or DOWN air in the summer?

it depends if you have air conditioning.

again which way? for what reason? elaborate?

heat rises. If you have ac, you want to push the warm air down so it
can become ac'd. If you don't have ac, you might as well leave the warm
air up there were it will be less noticed.

But you can cool to a higher temperature if you help the convection off
your skin. Add in evaporative cooling and a breeze is a big win, at
least in small rooms, like a home.

We have air conditioning which keeps the house at 78, and a way
undersized room dehumidifier which we set up in the master shower, turn
on the circulating fan in the furnace, and basically slowly and
inefficiently dry out the whole house.

It makes a huge huge difference how hot it feels -- and we're in Oregon,
where everyone is a humidity wimp.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

HerHusband July 4th 14 07:08 AM

OT Which direction is your ceiling fan SUPPOSED to run?

Hi Robert,

It's HOT, so I thought run the ceiling fan so the cool air comes
across the stone flooring and moves by me to be sucked up into the
ceiling fan - so I feel cooler. Fan is set to move air UP
Earlier I thought run the fan directly onto me gently moving air
straight at me, which is DOWN. But when I did that, after 10-15min
felt hotter in the room.

If the fan has been off for a while, there will be a pool of hot air near
the ceiling. When you turn the fan on, it may feel warmer for a while
until that hot air mixes with the cooler air below.

So my question is WHICH way is this !@#$#@ system designed for? UP or
DOWN air in the summer?

A ceiling fan doesn't change the actual temperature in the room (watch
your thermometer). It just feels cooler because the air moves across your
skin. That's why you should only run the fan when you're in the house.
You're just wasting energy if you're not in the house to feel the breeze.

In a closed room, it really shouldn't make any difference which way the
fan blows. The fan simply circulates the air, one direction or the other,
but it moves the same amount of air either way. Doorways and other
openings can alter the airflow somewhat, but that's the basic principle.

That said, the breeze will be strongest directly in front of the fan
where it is less dispersed. Since I spend more time walking beneath the
fan than I do above it, I always have my fan blowing down. That way I am
more likely to feel the air flow.

In any case, try both directions and see which is more comfortable in
your home where you spend the most time.

I rarely use my ceiling fan in the winter. I don't want air moving across
my skin to make me feel cooler. About the only time I use the fan in the
winter is if we are using our woodstove, in which case it helps equalize
the heat in the house instead of being warm in one room and cool in the
others.

Anthony Watson
www.mountainsoftware.com
www.watsondiy.com