Posted to alt.home.repair

Default ETQ Generator follow up

About year 2006, I bought an ETQ 1200 watt
generator on Ebay. It was about $130 including
shipping. I used it a couple times for a friend's
power cut. Worked fine, to run an old furnace,
with the big belt driven blower.

By now, it's got maybe 20 to 30 hours run
time on it. I've not kept track. And now
it's got a nasty knock. I had a friend
listen, and he says it sounds like the
piston rod is coming loose. I contacted
some folks, and have a two cycle mechanic
going to get back in contact with me in a
day or two. Diagnosis, and estimate on repair.

I can get similar one on sale for 109.

http://www.harborfreight.com/900-pea...arb-60338.html

900 watts, not the 1200 mine has. But close.
What's a good reasonable "maximum repair cost"
for a $130 generator? And if I replace it with
the HF, should I get the extended warranty?

--
..
Christopher A. Young

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/5/2014 7:17 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
About year 2006, I bought an ETQ 1200 watt
generator on Ebay. It was about $130 including
shipping. I used it a couple times for a friend's
power cut. Worked fine, to run an old furnace,
with the big belt driven blower.

By now, it's got maybe 20 to 30 hours run
time on it. I've not kept track. And now
it's got a nasty knock. I had a friend
listen, and he says it sounds like the
piston rod is coming loose. I contacted
some folks, and have a two cycle mechanic
going to get back in contact with me in a
day or two. Diagnosis, and estimate on repair.

I can get similar one on sale for 109.

http://www.harborfreight.com/900-pea...arb-60338.html

900 watts, not the 1200 mine has. But close.
What's a good reasonable "maximum repair cost"
for a $130 generator? And if I replace it with
the HF, should I get the extended warranty?

A couple times, I ran the engine dry of gas mix,
so as not to leave fuel in the carb. Of course,
that means there was a moment at the end when
there was no oil mix in the crank case. Wonder if
that damaged the rod bearings? Should I have
switched it off, and left gas in it? Be a shame if
I killed my own engine that way.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, May 5, 2014 7:17:27 PM UTC-4, Stormin Mormon wrote:
About year 2006, I bought an ETQ 1200 watt

generator on Ebay. It was about $130 including

shipping. I used it a couple times for a friend's

power cut. Worked fine, to run an old furnace,

with the big belt driven blower.

By now, it's got maybe 20 to 30 hours run

time on it. I've not kept track. And now

it's got a nasty knock. I had a friend

listen, and he says it sounds like the

piston rod is coming loose. I contacted

some folks, and have a two cycle mechanic

going to get back in contact with me in a

day or two. Diagnosis, and estimate on repair.

I can get similar one on sale for 109.

http://www.harborfreight.com/900-pea...arb-60338.html

900 watts, not the 1200 mine has. But close.

What's a good reasonable "maximum repair cost"

for a $130 generator? And if I replace it with

the HF, should I get the extended warranty?

If a $130 generator has a nasty knock, I think
you already know what to do with it. And I hope the
diagnosis/repair cost estimate is free.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/6/2014 10:58 AM, trader_4 wrote:

If a $130 generator has a nasty knock, I think
you already know what to do with it. And I hope the
diagnosis/repair cost estimate is free.

That's a real shame. It does run somewhat,
if I start it on ether, and don't mind the
noise. I may hang onto it for emergencies.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 05/05/2014 07:17 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
I bought an ETQ 1200 watt
generator on Ebay. It was about $130 including
shipping. I used it a couple times for a friend's
power cut. Worked fine, to run an old furnace,
with the big belt driven blower.

By now, it's got maybe 20 to 30 hours run
time on it. I've not kept track.

Actually, that's not too bad for an ETQ.

Did your friend use 2-cycle oil from the Dollar Store?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, May 6, 2014 11:15:13 AM UTC-4, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 5/6/2014 10:58 AM, trader_4 wrote:

If a $130 generator has a nasty knock, I think

you already know what to do with it. And I hope the

diagnosis/repair cost estimate is free.

That's a real shame. It does run somewhat,

if I start it on ether, and don't mind the

noise. I may hang onto it for emergencies.

Isn't that like hanging on to a leaking lifeboat with a rotten bottom?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/8/2014 11:36 AM, trader_4 wrote:
On Tuesday, May 6, 2014 11:15:13 AM UTC-4, Stormin Mormon wrote:

That's a real shame. It does run somewhat,
if I start it on ether, and don't mind the
noise. I may hang onto it for emergencies.

Isn't that like hanging on to a leaking lifeboat with a rotten bottom?

It's better than the rotted out and leaky
fire extinguisher bolted to the wall over
the gas range.

--
..
Christopher A. Young

Gas Generator Sets, Diesel Generator Sets, Gas Turbines and Power Plants PBMTWW UK diy 1 September 1st 11 10:34 AM
Hardware 3 phase generator from sed - 3 phase generator.asc John Fields Electronic Schematics 6 August 17th 11 01:49 PM
Bit of a Con Really - Follow-up ... Bob Larter UK diy 0 May 26th 09 09:21 AM
Follow-up thanks mm Home Repair 0 February 19th 08 03:06 AM
Follow Ups david lang UK diy 6 December 14th 05 06:30 PM