Posted to alt.home.repair
bob bob is offline

Default retrofit 1-gang box that attaches to stud?

I want to add an electric outlet on the other side of a wall that has an outlet.
The wiring would be trivial.

However, I don't like the common retrofit box that uses a pair of fly-out
plastic tabs to grab the drywall. Hard pulls on electric plugs may break the
tabs or the drywall.

If I put the retrofit box next to a stud, is it kosher to add some screws inside
(at an angle) or use glue to attach it to the stud?

Or is there a more secure type of retrofit box?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/16/14, 4:20 PM, bob wrote:
I want to add an electric outlet on the other side of a wall that has
an outlet. The wiring would be trivial.

However, I don't like the common retrofit box that uses a pair of
fly-out plastic tabs to grab the drywall. Hard pulls on electric plugs
may break the tabs or the drywall.

If I put the retrofit box next to a stud, is it kosher to add some
screws inside (at an angle) or use glue to attach it to the stud?

Or is there a more secure type of retrofit box?

There is one with metal "wings", RACO 506, available at HD

http://www.hubbellcatalog.com/raco/R...&FAM=RacoBoxes
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 16 Apr 2014 13:20:58 -0700, bob wrote:

I want to add an electric outlet on the other side of a wall that has an outlet.
The wiring would be trivial.

However, I don't like the common retrofit box that uses a pair of fly-out
plastic tabs to grab the drywall. Hard pulls on electric plugs may break the
tabs or the drywall.

If I put the retrofit box next to a stud, is it kosher to add some screws inside
(at an angle) or use glue to attach it to the stud?

Or is there a more secure type of retrofit box?

???

http://i.stack.imgur.com/KI1s8.jpg
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, April 16, 2014 4:47:26 PM UTC-4, Oren wrote:
On Wed, 16 Apr 2014 13:20:58 -0700, bob wrote:

I want to add an electric outlet on the other side of a wall that has an outlet.

The wiring would be trivial.

However, I don't like the common retrofit box that uses a pair of fly-out

plastic tabs to grab the drywall. Hard pulls on electric plugs may break the

tabs or the drywall.

If I put the retrofit box next to a stud, is it kosher to add some screws inside

(at an angle) or use glue to attach it to the stud?

Or is there a more secure type of retrofit box?

???

http://i.stack.imgur.com/KI1s8.jpg

That sort of assumes you don't mind making a bigger hole.

There are metal fold in things you can also use in old work. But I've never had any problem with the plastic swing out flanges breaking or the wall board breaking around them. I don't know if it's kosher code wise or not but on a few occasions I have run a short deck screw or two from inside the box into the adjacent 2x4.
Posted to alt.home.repair

I want to add an electric outlet on the other side of a wall that has an
outlet. The wiring would be trivial.

However, I don't like the common retrofit box that uses a pair of fly-out
plastic tabs to grab the drywall. Hard pulls on electric plugs may break
the tabs or the drywall.

If I put the retrofit box next to a stud, is it kosher to add some screws
inside (at an angle) or use glue to attach it to the stud?

Or is there a more secure type of retrofit box?

*I always shoot one screw into the stud to make the box more secure in
addition to the wings or Madison Bars. Usually a #8 sheet metal screw will
suffice. The trick is not to drive it home as it will distort the box if
you sink it too far. I do this for metal boxes as well as plastic. I would
not recommend glue.

John Grabowski
http://www.MrElectrician.TV

Posted to alt.home.repair

John Grabowski posted for all of us...

And I know how to SNIP

[...]

+100% As usual for John G's posts.

--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 04/16/2014 04:20 PM, bob wrote:

If I put the retrofit box next to a stud, is it kosher to add some screws inside (at an angle) or use glue to attach it to the stud?

Or is there a more secure type of retrofit box?

http://ecmweb.com/product-year/box-all-occasions
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Hannibal Lecter" wrote in message
On 04/16/2014 04:20 PM, bob wrote:

If I put the retrofit box next to a stud, is it kosher to add some screws
inside (at an angle) or use glue to attach it to the stud?

Or is there a more secure type of retrofit box?

http://ecmweb.com/product-year/box-all-occasions

*I have used that style box once or twice. I think it is slightly easier to
install the old work box with wings.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, April 17, 2014 7:10:49 AM UTC-4, John G wrote:
"Hannibal Lecter" wrote in message

On 04/16/2014 04:20 PM, bob wrote:

If I put the retrofit box next to a stud, is it kosher to add some screws

inside (at an angle) or use glue to attach it to the stud?

Or is there a more secure type of retrofit box?

http://ecmweb.com/product-year/box-all-occasions

*I have used that style box once or twice. I think it is slightly easier to

install the old work box with wings.

I like that. I'll have to keep an eye out for it at lows and home despot.
Posted to alt.home.repair
bob bob is offline

Or is there a more secure type of retrofit box?

http://ecmweb.com/product-year/box-all-occasions

*I have used that style box once or twice. I think it is slightly easier to
install the old work box with wings.

I'll keep an eye out for that unique kind of retrofit box but if I don't see it
at the local hardware store I'm just going to use the regular kind and add a screw.

Thanks to all who responded.

Posted to alt.home.repair

jamesgang posted for all of us...

And I know how to SNIP

On Thursday, April 17, 2014 7:10:49 AM UTC-4, John G wrote:
"Hannibal Lecter" wrote in message

On 04/16/2014 04:20 PM, bob wrote:

If I put the retrofit box next to a stud, is it kosher to add some screws

inside (at an angle) or use glue to attach it to the stud?

Or is there a more secure type of retrofit box?

http://ecmweb.com/product-year/box-all-occasions

*I have used that style box once or twice. I think it is slightly easier to

install the old work box with wings.

I like that. I'll have to keep an eye out for it at lows and home despot.

Arlington Industries has many innovative products. I don't think you will
find them at the big box stores. May even have trouble at a good supply
house. When I did this stuff their products didn't seem to be promoted as
well as they could be. Of course what place has room for everything? Not
even my house...

--
Tekkie