Posted to alt.home.repair

Default torque wrench and universal joints

I have found this equation that applies to torque as applied thru an angle.

T * cos A = TA; where TA is the applied torque (to a bolt), T is the torque applied from the wrench, and A is the angle between the plane of the wrench and bolt.

For example, at 40 degrees (the angle between the two extension bars joined by the joint, stright up and down is 0), only 75% of the wrench torque is applied to the bolt. (This equation may be wrong.)

But to the main question about the swivel that is used to implement this angle. This "U" joint is a common flexible coupling you find in many tool socket sets.

Does this common joint apply torque evenly throughout its rotation? My feeling is that it doesn't. And if it doesn't, is there a "constant force" joint that will? (constant velocity joint?)

Thank you.

Torque is being applied slowly and constantly.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 13 Apr 2014 09:49:47 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

I have found this equation that applies to torque as applied thru an angle.

T * cos A = TA; where TA is the applied torque (to a bolt), T is the torque applied from the wrench, and A is the angle between the plane of the wrench and bolt.

For example, at 40 degrees (the angle between the two extension bars joined by the joint, stright up and down is 0), only 75% of the wrench torque is applied to the bolt. (This equation may be wrong.)

But to the main question about the swivel that is used to implement this angle. This "U" joint is a common flexible coupling you find in many tool socket sets.

Does this common joint apply torque evenly throughout its rotation?

No.

My feeling is that it doesn't. And if it doesn't, is there a "constant force" joint that will? (constant velocity joint?)

Just put two universal joints in series, There are two ways to do
this. Look at a car with a front engine and rear-wheel drive to see
which is the right way. Or try each way and decide which is correct.

The reason front-wheel drive cars have constant velocity joints is that
one universal joint with constant velocity input will not have a
constant velocity output. I don't think it will have constant torque
either. By putting two joints in a row, it evens out the output
velocity, and the torque.

Rear wheel drive cars, with a long drive shaft also have a constant
velocity joint, made up of two universal joints. One is at the front of
the drive shaft and the other is at the rear, but that makes no
difference as far as the differential and rear wheels are concerned.
They still see the output of two universals in a row, a constant
velocity output. (The drive shaft itself speeds up and slows down,
probably twice in each rotation, but that doesn't matter.)

A universal joint has, if I recall the names of the parts correctly,
two forks with two tines each, and a spider in between them (an X shaped
metal thing attached both to the front fork and the rear fork.

Two of the forks are built into the drive shaft. I think one of them is
90 degrees rotated from the other. If so, that's what you should do.
It's possible I'm wrong and both forks are in the same plane. If so,
that's what you should do.

You might also consider a wobble extension. Short ones are no longer
than a socket wrench universal. Shorter and easier to handle than 2
universals in a row. In any case, the female end is undercut so that
one can apply the wrench at an angle. I'm sure this is not constant
torque either, but the wobble extension works better than a univeral
some times. For one thing, two universals in a row may wrap themselves
into a knot, almost.

I bought my wobbles, in 3 lengths, at JCWhitney.com

Thank you.

Torque is being applied slowly and constantly.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/13/2014 11:33 AM, micky wrote:
On Sun, 13 Apr 2014 09:49:47 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

I have found this equation that applies to torque as applied thru an angle.

T * cos A = TA; where TA is the applied torque (to a bolt), T is the torque applied from the wrench, and A is the angle between the plane of the wrench and bolt.

For example, at 40 degrees (the angle between the two extension bars joined by the joint, stright up and down is 0), only 75% of the wrench torque is applied to the bolt. (This equation may be wrong.)

But to the main question about the swivel that is used to implement this angle. This "U" joint is a common flexible coupling you find in many tool socket sets.

Does this common joint apply torque evenly throughout its rotation?

No.

The speed is not constant. Not sure about torque.

[...]

Forks (yokes) are in the same plane. And the engine drive shaft and
differential shaft are parallel.

In a CV joint the forks in the center are also in the same plane, and
the total angle between input and output shafts has to be split between
the u-joints.

You might also consider a wobble extension. Short ones are no longer
than a socket wrench universal. Shorter and easier to handle than 2
universals in a row. In any case, the female end is undercut so that
one can apply the wrench at an angle. I'm sure this is not constant
torque either, but the wobble extension works better than a univeral
some times. For one thing, two universals in a row may wrap themselves
into a knot, almost.

I bought my wobbles, in 3 lengths, at JCWhitney.com

Thank you.

Torque is being applied slowly and constantly.

Torque wrench scales Dave Plowman (News) UK diy 8 May 30th 10 01:24 PM
Measuring torque on a motor with a leadscrew with a torque wrench Don Foreman Metalworking 0 January 23rd 08 07:30 AM
Measuring torque on a motor with a leadscrew with a torque wrench Bob Engelhardt Metalworking 0 January 21st 08 10:51 PM
Torque wrench nthng2snet UK diy 10 April 3rd 05 10:29 AM
What's a torque wrench? Claudia Home Repair 30 June 1st 04 03:28 AM