Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Outdoor Cedar: Finish or Just Weather?

Park bench.

Slats are 2x6's and rotten after 40 years.

Just bought cedar to replace them.

The choices I see:

- Just leave it raw/natural and let it weather

- Stain it with the darkest stain I can find
and then slap on a couple coats of spar varnish
and figure on re-applying at some interval (yearly?)

- Paint it white (as the rotten ones were) and figure
on re-painting it every year

#'s 2 and 3 seem like high maintenance to me.

Is there any conventional wisdom here?
--
Pete Cresswell
Posted to alt.home.repair

Per :
WRC will go bad eventually but you will get 10 15 years out of it
before it really gets bad

I have a rough sawn 2x12 as a walk board on my boat trailer that has
been in the weather for 10 years, occasionally dunked in salt water
and it is OK but looking weathered.
Lower right of this picture
http://gfretwell.com/ftp/trailer.jpg

I think I'll go with just letting it weather then.

10-15 years is more than enough. I'll let my survivors worry about the
rest.... -)
--
Pete Cresswell