Junior Member

Default Leaking cylinder coil

the cylinder coil on my water tank is leaking, I am told I need a new tank but can't afford this for a few weeks.

Is there anything I can do to stop the water overflowing the small water tank, will turning off the hot water and heating help?

thanks
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/3/2014 7:19 AM, neilpackman wrote:

the cylinder coil on my water tank is leaking, I am told I need a new
tank but can't afford this for a few weeks.

Is there anything I can do to stop the water overflowing the small water
tank, will turning off the hot water and heating help?

thanks

Water heaters sure are expensive. I
replaced mine a couple years back. They
had gone from $200 to $400 in wink of an
eye.

If you shut off the cold inlet and the
heat source, that should stop the leak.

Of course, that leaves you washing hands
dishes and bathing in cold water. Is your
water heater gas or electric?

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 3 Mar 2014 13:19:56 +0100, neilpackman
wrote:

the cylinder coil on my water tank is leaking, I am told I need a new
tank but can't afford this for a few weeks.

Is there anything I can do to stop the water overflowing the small water
tank, will turning off the hot water and heating help?

thanks

Try the uk.d-i-y group, ask a neighbor, or maybe harry can help you.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 03/03/2014 07:19 AM, neilpackman wrote:
the cylinder coil on my water tank is leaking, I am told I need a new
tank but can't afford this for a few weeks.

Is there anything I can do to stop the water overflowing the small water
tank, will turning off the hot water and heating help?

thanks

https://www.mightyputtypurple.com/
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, March 3, 2014 6:19:56 AM UTC-6, neilpackman wrote:
the cylinder coil on my water tank is leaking, I am told I need a new tank but can't afford this for a few weeks. Is there anything I can do to stop the water overflowing the small water tank, will turning off the hot water and heating help? thanks -- neilpackman

Is this an on-demand heater? I have never heard of a cylinder coil. If it is a regular tank with gas heat runing up the middle of the tank, or an electric heater where the heater element sticks in the side of the main tank, you can turn off the water going into the tank, and you must also turn off the water coming out of the tank to reduce the pressure. If you just turn off the input, if anyopne turns on a tap that allows the wold water to flow into the hot line, that will pressurize the hot water tank from the output side. I think that the on-demand heaters probably have the same situation, anything downstream form the heater that allows the cold water to backfeed the hot water tank will cause the leaks to continue.