Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.food

Default OT Beef at the supermarket. butcher shop?

Micky,

Trying to confirm my recollection, that it used to be that one could get
any cut of beef he wanted at the supermarket meat department.

I don't think much has changed. The "usual" cuts are on display and if
you ring the bell the butcher will trim them or cut whatever you want off
the side in his freezer. We're talking beef here. While the butcher does
grind hamburger there are tubes of factory made burger which are cheaper.
The butcher ground burger comes with a choice of fat content, though.
There's a lot more lamb available and veal seems to be disappearing where
I live. A seperate fish counter is common in a lot of the newer store. This
is true in all of the chains where I live.
Some of the small non-chain places still make sausage but that's now
pretty rare. Pork is like beef, if you don't see it, ask.

For example, it's not often I see a standing rib roast for sale, and
then when I do, they have a bunch all week.

Rib-eye syeaks are always available which means your butcher always has
rib roasts, ask him.
Nothing much is on sale but all the chains have satellite banks where you
can take out a second mortgage and pharmacies where you can get Paxil, for
shopping.