Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Google Rant (was hole size for taps

wrote:
On Sunday, January 19, 2014 9:58:58 AM UTC-5, Terry Coombs wrote:
wrote:

On Sunday, January 19, 2014 9:08:32 AM UTC-5, herb white wrote:

I need a chart that tells what size hole to drill when cutting

threads in metal. Where would I find that ? thanks a lot
herb

I'd bet that if you used google, you'd find it in about 5 secs.

Google is your friend.

Google is *NOT* your friend !! It is one of the biggest data-mining

operations on the web , and they have been known to turn over your
info to

the feds . A much better option is
www.Startpage.com , which uses
Google's

search function but they do not record or store any of your
information .

There are other search engines that are similar , but I like
startpage .

--

Snag

So you say. I'll bet Google will find him his tap table. Google
works for
me and hundreds of millions of other people. Google's Android works
mighty
fine on my Smartphone. I've had no problems with google invading my
privacy. What do you have to hide? This is like the nuts that have
it in for MSFT, Apple, and insist we should all be using Linux. I
say, use what works for
you.

Well , I never said that Google didn't work extremely well . And it's not
that I have anything to hide , but I take great exception to them mining my
data and searches and selling it to third parties - whether it be the gov't
or a marketing company . Haven't you ever wondered why the advertising on
virtually every web page you visit seems to be tailored just for you ?
That's because it is ! And while we're on the subject , I also use an ad
blocker program . What makes them think they can use bandwidth I pay for to
push their products on me ?
--
Snag
I dumped Facebook

Posted to alt.home.repair

http://www.brokenbolt.com/images/sta...-tap-drill.pdf

Starrett used to hand these out for free, they probably still do to clients,
being retired now I have no idea.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-Decimal-Fr...-/281249298027

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/20/14 3:41 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:

Gee thanks , I've never had a tinfoil hat before ! OK , so objecting to
any and everyone collecting data about me , my shopping habits , what web
sites I visit , etc is apparently considered a "bad thing" by modern
progressive citizens . So how about I drop in on you in the bathroom to see
what you read while you take a dump ? Or maybe come in your bedroom while
you're making love to your wife , because that might give me information
about which products would "enhance your lovemaking experience" ?
It's all the same thing , gentlemen , just a matter of degree .

You reminded me that I bookmarked this search engine awhile back.
https://www.ixquick.com claims to be the most private search engine.
Darned if I know. I've been using Bing partly because it isn't Google.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I've had good results with www.startpage.com

--
..
Christopher A. Young

Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 1/20/2014 9:06 PM, Dean Hoffman wrote:

You reminded me that I bookmarked this search engine awhile back.
https://www.ixquick.com claims to be the most private search engine.
Darned if I know. I've been using Bing partly because it isn't Google.

I've had good results with www.startpage.com

I just don't know where to begin.
Senior Member

I guess it all boils down to this:

What does it concern me if someone at Google knows which tap drill size chart I use?

Unless someone can explain why I should be concerned about, this business about Google spying on us in our daily lives is nonsense.

If, on the other hand, I was wanting to find a source where I could secretly buy a few hundred pounds of explosives for a science project I was working on, then I would be very concerned about how much Google knew about me.

But, as long as I'm only using Google to find a tap drill size chart, what's the BFD?

And, taken one step further, what the f*ck do I care if someone at Google knows what kind of porn I look at. If it's not illegal to look at it, then what's the big deal?