Junior Member

Default non-wood decking alternatives

Hi, can anyone give me some non-wood decking alternatives that I can use in my home? I don’t want to use wood for outdoor decking because of the maintenance costs. However, I want something that imitates the natural look and feel of wood.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Qqueen wrote:
Hi, can anyone give me some non-wood decking alternatives that I can
use in my home? I don't want to use wood for outdoor decking because
of the maintenance costs. However, I want something that imitates the
natural look and feel of wood.

There is a non-wood product just for you , I believe it's called Trex .
Not cheap ...
--
Snag

---

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 18 Dec 2013 13:02:08 +0100, Qqueen
wrote:

Hi, can anyone give me some non-wood decking alternatives that I can use
in my home? I don’t want to use wood for outdoor decking because of the
maintenance costs. However, I want something that imitates the natural
look and feel of wood.

In addition to Trex that someone else mentioned, Azek is a similar
product I have used before and like. Also, look at LockDry, an
aluminum product. Although it is meant for decking, I used it as
flooring on a pontoon boat and love it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Snag" writes:

G Qqueen wrote:
Hi, can anyone give me some non-wood decking alternatives that I can
use in my home? I don't want to use wood for outdoor decking because
of the maintenance costs. However, I want something that imitates the
natural look and feel of wood.

There is a non-wood product just for you , I believe it's called Trex .
Not cheap ...

Generic name, composites.
A composite of wood fiber and plastic.
Lasts forever and looks a lot like wood, only better.

--
Dan Espen
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/18/2013 11:30 AM, Dan Espen wrote:

There is a non-wood product just for you , I believe it's called Trex .
Not cheap ...

Generic name, composites.
A composite of wood fiber and plastic.
Lasts forever and looks a lot like wood, only better.

There was a retired rabbit, who had his back deck
made out of Trex. It was very expensive, and got
nearly no use. He was complaining about the cost,
to his neighbor (who had a big family). The neighbor
loved his back deck. It survived race cars, pogo
sticks, and endless play. The neighbor said "Silly
rabbit, Trex are for kids!"

--
..
Christopher A. Young

Posted to alt.home.repair

outdoor wood decks look pretty but concrete is a much better alternative....

basically zero maintence for a lifetime
Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 12/18/2013 11:30 AM, Dan Espen wrote:

There is a non-wood product just for you , I believe it's called
Trex . Not cheap ...

Generic name, composites.
A composite of wood fiber and plastic.
Lasts forever and looks a lot like wood, only better.

There was a retired rabbit, who had his back deck
made out of Trex. It was very expensive, and got
nearly no use. He was complaining about the cost,
to his neighbor (who had a big family). The neighbor
loved his back deck. It survived race cars, pogo
sticks, and endless play. The neighbor said "Silly
rabbit, Trex are for kids!"

If you had a day job I'd tell you not to quit it ...
--
Snag

---

Posted to alt.home.repair

bob haller writes:

outdoor wood decks look pretty but concrete is a much better alternative....
basically zero maintence for a lifetime

Strangely, I don't feel that way.

Maybe because the concrete patio on my house was made of big 4x8
sections of concrete with 2x4s separating them. I don't know how
old they were, but when I got here, they were seriously out of
level with each other.

After breaking them up with a jack hammer, and all the other work
I replaced the patio with pavers. To me, pavers really do give you
a lifetime of service. Even if they go out of level, lift them up,
level the sand, put them back.

When you need to build up in the air, concrete (or pavers)
is not an option. That's why I have a deck and a patio.

--
Dan Espen
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, December 18, 2013 11:30:15 AM UTC-5, net cop wrote:
"Snag" writes:

G Qqueen wrote:

Hi, can anyone give me some non-wood decking alternatives that I can

use in my home? I don't want to use wood for outdoor decking because

of the maintenance costs. However, I want something that imitates the

natural look and feel of wood.

There is a non-wood product just for you , I believe it's called Trex .

Not cheap ...

Generic name, composites.

A composite of wood fiber and plastic.

Lasts forever and looks a lot like wood, only better.

--

Dan Espen

We call it recycled wood as a generic term. Apparently you have to be careful how you use it. We built a couple of small pedestrian bridge decks from it. The material holds up, but it has buckled and warped badly. I don't know why this happened; my suspicion is the coefficient of expansion is large and we had too much restraint built into the structure. Or we got a bad batch, I dunno. Either way I'd advise talking to somebody who's used the exact product.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/18/2013 6:03 PM, Snag wrote:
Stormin Mormon wrote:
There was a retired rabbit, who had his back deck
made out of Trex. It was very expensive, and got
nearly no use. He was complaining about the cost,
to his neighbor (who had a big family). The neighbor
loved his back deck. It survived race cars, pogo
sticks, and endless play. The neighbor said "Silly
rabbit, Trex are for kids!"

If you had a day job I'd tell you not to quit it ...

Sigh. My best humor, and it meets with resounding
groans.

--
..
Christopher A. Young

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/19/2013 8:12 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Sigh. My best humor, and it meets with resounding
groans.

Some people are just sticks in the mud. Others are just
plain a-holes, and... :-)
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Snag" writes:

G Qqueen wrote:

[...]

Some products contain recycled wood, but others do not. Trex contains
wood. Azek does not and is, therefore, less apt to grow mold and
algie. (All if it, however, gets dirty and then stuff can grow in the
dirt). Neither Trex nor Azek is structurally strong. Regular treated
lumber is usually used for the structure with Trex or Azek added for
looks. Both products sag if not supported well. Both can look great
after many years of use, but nothing is perfect.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/19/2013 9:43 AM, Irreverent Maximus wrote:
On 12/19/2013 8:12 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Sigh. My best humor, and it meets with resounding
groans.

Some people are just sticks in the mud. Others are just
plain a-holes, and... :-)

Which am.... oh, wait, nevermind. Forget I asked.

--
..
Christopher A. Young