Posted to alt.home.repair

Default water meter malfunction

Is it possible for a water meter measuring the volume of water flowing from public owned water line to private water line to malfunction by showing 20 times the actual volume flowing, and then returning to correct measurement of volume?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Frank Thompson wrote:
Is it possible for a water meter measuring the volume of water flowing from public owned water line to private water line to malfunction by showing 20 times the actual volume flowing, and then returning to correct measurement of volume?

Hi,
Don't you know if any device has moving parts, it can always break
and malfunction, right?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, December 10, 2013 3:19:14 PM UTC-5, Frank Thompson wrote:
Is it possible for a water meter measuring the volume of water flowing from public owned water line to private water line to malfunction by showing 20 times the actual volume flowing, and then returning to correct measurement of volume?

Doubtful. More likely the prior reading was incorrectly taken.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/10/2013 12:19 PM, Frank Thompson wrote:
Is it possible for a water meter measuring the volume of water flowing from public owned water line to private water line to malfunction by showing 20 times the actual volume flowing, and then returning to correct measurement of volume?

restate your question using more words.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 10 Dec 2013 12:33:22 -0800 (PST), jamesgang
wrote:

On Tuesday, December 10, 2013 3:19:14 PM UTC-5, Frank Thompson wrote:
Is it possible for a water meter measuring the volume of water flowing from public owned water line to private water line to malfunction by showing 20 times the actual volume flowing, and then returning to correct measurement of volume?

Doubtful. More likely the prior reading was incorrectly taken.

+ 1

Or the water district "guesstimated" the billing cycle; never taking a
reading.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/10/2013 3:46 PM, mike wrote:
On 12/10/2013 12:19 PM, Frank Thompson wrote:
Is it possible for a water meter measuring the volume of water flowing
from public owned water line to private water line to malfunction by
showing 20 times the actual volume flowing, and then returning to
correct measurement of volume?

restate your question using more words.

Agree. More words.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

Frank Thompson wrote in
:

Is it possible for a water meter measuring the volume of water flowing
from public owned water line to private water line to malfunction by
showing 20 times the actual volume flowing, and then returning to
correct measurement of volume?

Is it possible the water company will respond in your favor if you tell
them the people on ahr said it could happen?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 10 Dec 2013 12:19:14 -0800 (PST), Frank Thompson
wrote:

Is it possible for a water meter measuring the volume of water flowing from

public owned water line to private water line to malfunction by showing
20 times the actual volume flowing, and then returning to correct
measurement of volume?

-------

Anything is possible. Anything can **** up.....
But there could be a reading error too.....
Why dont you read your own meter and jot down the numbers every month.

I'd suggest calling the water company and have them test your meter.

Posted to alt.home.repair

many years ago my meter broke it at most was recoding on 1/4 of the water used, must of been a broken gear, the meter became noisey.

so i locked out my caller ID and called the water company requesting a outside reading water meter. they said 2 years to get it installed.

so i said i wouldnt tell them who i was, unless they installed to outside reading meter since they had to come in any case to install a new meter....

the gal got her bosses approval, but said you know this is black mail........

i said yeah i know, but it worked.

my elderly grandma could barely walk and didnt like peolple coming in the house.

so this worked for me.

back on topic, lets assume the water source quit, but lots of air pressure somehow got pushed thru the line.

the air motion might get recorded as water used?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/10/2013 9:26 PM, bob haller wrote:
back on topic, lets assume the water source quit, but lots of air pressure somehow got pushed thru the line.

the air motion might get recorded as water used?

Not from what I've seen/ I have a meter on a condensate return line ad
it frequently had air passing throu but never moved.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, December 10, 2013 12:19:14 PM UTC-8, Frank Thompson wrote:
Is it possible for a water meter measuring the volume of water flowing from public owned water line to private water line to malfunction by showing 20 times the actual volume flowing, and then returning to correct measurement of volume?

It may happen when several nines are turning to zeros.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 11 Dec 2013 21:12:09 -0500, Stormin Mormon
wrote:

On 12/11/2013 7:47 PM, wrote:

Our gas meter reader did that a few months before they changed the
meter to a "digital" meter. -

My parents old gas meter, every other dial
turned left, or right.

Virtually all dial meters worked that way
Posted to alt.home.repair

Three day investigation on this including on-site inspection including county water department (in my presence) plus discussion with plumber leads me to believe
something I've not heard of...water theft. Either someone with a 20K gal tank drove up while no-one was home and hooked up to exterior outlet, filled up and drove away or also under cover of dark when when no-one there ran garden hose several hundred feet and filled their swimming pool. I want to ask my insurer if my policy (which includes theft) covers this type of theft. My problem is that a few years back it was documented that any enquiry about one's policy, in many cases, led to increases in premiums some time later. Rather than for that to happen I would rather bite the bullet in this incident and pay than to risk increase in premium... I would but a lock on exterior outlets.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 13 Dec 2013 03:47:59 -0800 (PST), Frank Thompson
wrote:

Three day investigation on this including on-site inspection including county water department (in my presence) plus discussion with plumber leads me to believe
something I've not heard of...water theft. Either someone with a 20K gal tank drove up while no-one was home and hooked up to exterior outlet, filled up and drove away or also under cover of dark when when no-one there ran garden hose several hundred feet and filled their swimming pool. I want to ask my insurer if my policy (which includes theft) covers this type of theft. My problem is that a few years back it was documented that any enquiry about one's policy, in many cases, led to increases in premiums some time later. Rather than for that to happen I would rather bite the bullet in this incident and pay than to risk increase in premium... I would but a lock on exterior outlets.

I'd not buy into the notion that 20,000 gallons of water was stolen
via a water hose. It takes about a day and a half to fill my pool
with just 11,000 gallons. Crooks could tap into a fire hydrant and be
done much sooner.

Did you asked if the water utility estimated a bill; instead of
actually reading the meter? Have you checked that the toilet flappers
in your tank are not leaking?
Posted to alt.home.repair
MLD MLD is offline

"Frank Thompson" wrote in message
[...]

No need for a lock---On the inside I have a ball valve in line with the
outside shut off valve. In the winter I open the outside valve to prevent a
frozen pipe.
MLD