Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Obsolete direct vent gas-fired wall heater

It's been cold and I fired up an old Sears heater. Works great but it won't
really turn down very low. The thermostat doesn't really change the output.
Don't have a manual, must turn off the gas valve to turn off the burner.

http://www.searspartsdirect.com/part...00006194/00002

That's the parts diagram and you can see it is just a basic heater that
Sears doesn't stock many parts for any more.

Is it worth banging on the valve or wiggling the thermocouple? If I needed
the $185 substitute gas valve, I'd probably be better off buying a whole new
heater.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Stumpy,

The gas valve has a long copper cylinder called the bulb which senses the
air temp. It's probably dead and is not replaceable.
You need a new valve or a new heater.

Dave M.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"David L. Martel" wrote in message
Stumpy,

The gas valve has a long copper cylinder called the bulb which senses
the air temp. It's probably dead and is not replaceable.
You need a new valve or a new heater.

Dave M.

Well, it probably was installed in the '60s. Should be retired.

Northern Tool sells a similar one for $400 new. Makes more sense than
spending almost $200 to repair the decrepit one.

Posted to alt.home.repair

The gas valve has a long copper cylinder called the bulb which senses
the air temp. It's probably dead and is not replaceable.
You need a new valve or a new heater.

Dave M.

I just looked up "modulating, bulb-type thermostat" and realized that it
would adjust the size of the flame rather than turn it on or off. Maybe the
adjustment range is too small, and I could adjust the spoiler screw on the
burner to reduce the size of the flame. It's rated at 14,000 BTU/hr normal
output and bakes us unless it is 45deg outdoors.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Stumpy wrote:
It's been cold and I fired up an old Sears heater. Works great but it
won't really turn down very low. The thermostat doesn't really change
the output. Don't have a manual, must turn off the gas valve to turn
off the burner.

http://www.searspartsdirect.com/part...00006194/00002

That's the parts diagram and you can see it is just a basic heater that
Sears doesn't stock many parts for any more.

Is it worth banging on the valve or wiggling the thermocouple? If I
needed the $185 substitute gas valve, I'd probably be better off buying
a whole new heater.

Did you read the Recall Notice by those diagrams?

--
Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Posted to alt.home.repair

http://www.searspartsdirect.com/part...00006194/00002
That's the parts diagram and you can see it is just a basic heater that
Sears doesn't stock many parts for any more.

Is it worth banging on the valve or wiggling the thermocouple? If I
needed the $185 substitute gas valve, I'd probably be better off buying a
whole new heater.

Did you read the Recall Notice by those diagrams?

Yes I did, but it looked like it was specifically for LP gas setup. I'm
natural gas here. It didn't say what date the recall was.