Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT How can t hey do t hat?

OT I've been watching reruns of Wagon Train, and one of the
characters wears a rebel cap, the kind worn I gather by Southern
Troops during the Civil War. (The kind that's higher in the back, but
crunched down in the front, and round, flat top and with a brim. Grey
I suppose but hard to tell on B&W shows.) And I think I've seen
others wearing the cap in other westerns.

Did anyone do that? I thought the west after the Civil War was full
of men from both north and south, and it would be looking for a fight
to dress obviously as from one side or the other. At least on TV,
they're always fighting anyhow, so why make it worse?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, November 20, 2013 6:52:06 AM UTC-6, micky wrote:
OT I've been watching reruns of Wagon Train, and one of the

characters wears a rebel cap, the kind worn I gather by Southern

Troops during the Civil War. (The kind that's higher in the back, but

crunched down in the front, and round, flat top and with a brim. Grey

I suppose but hard to tell on B&W shows.) And I think I've seen

others wearing the cap in other westerns.

Did anyone do that? I thought the west after the Civil War was full

of men from both north and south, and it would be looking for a fight

to dress obviously as from one side or the other. At least on TV,

they're always fighting anyhow, so why make it worse?

Even is today's world you can find people like that...they are still fighting the war. Try going to a bar down-South and say, "The South will rise again...'coz **** floats!"
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 20 Nov 2013 05:52:06 -0700, micky wrote:

...snip...
Did anyone do that? I thought the west after the Civil War was full
of men from both north and south, and it would be looking for a fight
to dress obviously as from one side or the other. At least on TV,
they're always fighting anyhow, so why make it worse?

Interesting. A lot of people had no other clothes to wear. A prime example
is after the end of the Crimean war and the returning soldiers couldn't
get work, they sat in hotels 'begging' people to carry their luggage for
them. Thus, the origin of the Bell-Hop uniform. It was the Crimean War
uniform.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"micky" wrote in message news
OT I've been watching reruns of Wagon Train, and one of the
characters wears a rebel cap, the kind worn I gather by Southern
Troops during the Civil War. (The kind that's higher in the back, but
crunched down in the front, and round, flat top and with a brim. Grey
I suppose but hard to tell on B&W shows.) And I think I've seen
others wearing the cap in other westerns.

Did anyone do that? I thought the west after the Civil War was full
of men from both north and south, and it would be looking for a fight
to dress obviously as from one side or the other. At least on TV,
they're always fighting anyhow, so why make it worse?

When I was in U.S. Navy boot camp, WWll time. There were 125 men in our
unit. 120 of them were from Georgia and Florida. I still have a problem
liking Southerners. All they would talk about is the South taking over. WW

Posted to alt.home.repair

"WW" wrote in message . ..

"micky" wrote in message news
OT I've been watching reruns of Wagon Train, and one of the
characters wears a rebel cap, the kind worn I gather by Southern
Troops during the Civil War. (The kind that's higher in the back, but
crunched down in the front, and round, flat top and with a brim. Grey
I suppose but hard to tell on B&W shows.) And I think I've seen
others wearing the cap in other westerns.

Did anyone do that? I thought the west after the Civil War was full
of men from both north and south, and it would be looking for a fight
to dress obviously as from one side or the other. At least on TV,
they're always fighting anyhow, so why make it worse?

When I was in U.S. Navy boot camp, WWll time. There were 125 men in our
unit. 120 of them were from Georgia and Florida. I still have a problem
liking Southerners. All they would talk about is the South taking over. WW

After the war many of the regs only had the clothes on their backs, and no place
to call home, or were too far from home. Most of the regs did not get much
grief from the North. They understood most of what really was going on and
did not have the modern revision that is prevalently taught today. It was
a different country, back then, in more ways than one. Heading West was a
getaway for all involved.

Posted to alt.home.repair

micky,

I think the squashed down version was the forage cap but it could be a
kepi. These were common through the Indian wars.
It's very common for soldiers and new civilians to wear parts of their
uniforms. No one would notice or be offended.
As for why they do things on TV, I've no idea.

Dave M.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 20 Nov 2013 09:38:56 -0700, "WW"
wrote:

When I was in U.S. Navy boot camp, WWll time. There were 125 men in our
unit. 120 of them were from Georgia and Florida. I still have a problem
liking Southerners. All they would talk about is the South taking over. WW

You may dislike Southern's; but I'll bet you one thing, for certain.

They were willing to die right along side you!! They took the same
Oath as you and lived up to it in WW II.

Same is true today.

--
"Never accuse a Soldier of being a Marine"
Posted to alt.home.repair

David L. Martel wrote:
micky,

I think the squashed down version was the forage cap but it could be a
kepi. These were common through the Indian wars.
It's very common for soldiers and new civilians to wear parts of their
uniforms. No one would notice or be offended.
As for why they do things on TV, I've no idea.

Dave M.

It was a kepi.
http://foggymountaingear.com/headwea...104SEO_URL_END
Or: http://preview.tinyurl.com/mfskdu4

--
Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

When I was in U.S. Navy boot camp, WWll time. There were 125 men in our
unit. 120 of them were from Georgia and Florida. I still have a problem
liking Southerners. All they would talk about is the South taking over. WW

You may dislike Southern's; but I'll bet you one thing, for certain.

They were willing to die right along side you!! They took the same
Oath as you and lived up to it in WW II.

Same is true today.

The people are a lot nicer, down here, too.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"WW" wrote:
"micky" wrote in message news
OT I've been watching reruns of Wagon Train, and one of the
characters wears a rebel cap, the kind worn I gather by Southern
Troops during the Civil War. (The kind that's higher in the back, but
crunched down in the front, and round, flat top and with a brim. Grey
I suppose but hard to tell on B&W shows.) And I think I've seen
others wearing the cap in other westerns.

Did anyone do that? I thought the west after the Civil War was full
of men from both north and south, and it would be looking for a fight
to dress obviously as from one side or the other. At least on TV,
they're always fighting anyhow, so why make it worse?

When I was in U.S. Navy boot camp, WWll time. There were 125 men in our
unit. 120 of them were from Georgia and Florida. I still have a problem
liking Southerners. All they would talk about is the South taking over. WW

When I (a New Yorker at the time) was in the USCG boot camp, mid-70's, the
guys from the south (especially Florida) were the nicest guys I've ever
met. I fondly remember the English lessons I got from a guy that grew up in
the sticks of Florida.

"Repeat after me:

I'm a fixin to, he's a fixin to, she's a fixin to.

Good! Now try this:

I'm a gonna, he's a gonna, she's a gonna"

4 decades later and I still chuckle about some of the good times I had with
those guys. We made fun of them, they made fun of us, and we ended up
graduating as the best company of the 6 that went through boot camp
together.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message ...

The people are a lot nicer, down here, too.

You've got that right.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 20 Nov 2013 07:34:27 -0700, RobertMacy
wrote:

On Wed, 20 Nov 2013 05:52:06 -0700, micky wrote:

...snip...
Did anyone do that? I thought the west after the Civil War was full
of men from both north and south, and it would be looking for a fight
to dress obviously as from one side or the other. At least on TV,
they're always fighting anyhow, so why make it worse?

Interesting. A lot of people had no other clothes to wear. A prime example
is after the end of the Crimean war and the returning soldiers couldn't
get work, they sat in hotels 'begging' people to carry their luggage for
them.

Wow. They were poor and they expected strangers to carry their
luggage for them. They had a lot of nerve.

Thus, the origin of the Bell-Hop uniform. It was the Crimean War
uniform.

Very interesting.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11-20-2013, 11:38, WW wrote:
When I was in U.S. Navy boot camp, WWll time. There were 125 men in
our unit. 120 of them were from Georgia and Florida. I still have a
problem liking Southerners. All they would talk about is the South
taking over. WW

It's not as bad now. Mississippi ratified the Thirteenth Amendment in
1995. Then again, they didn't officially admit it until 2012.

--
Wes Groleau

A pessimist says the glass is half empty.
An optimist says the glass is half full.
An engineer says somebody made the glass
twice as big as it needed to be.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Bill,

Why do you believe that? Are you in touch with the wardrobe folks of
Wagon Train? The Confederate armies did not have a uniform. Many different
outfits wore many different uniforms.

Dave M.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Wed, 20 Nov 2013 05:52:06 -0700, micky

wrote:

...snip...
Did anyone do that? I thought the west after the Civil War was full
of men from both north and south, and it would be looking for a fight
to dress obviously as from one side or the other. At least on TV,
they're always fighting anyhow, so why make it worse?

Interesting. A lot of people had no other clothes to wear. A prime

example
is after the end of the Crimean war and the returning soldiers couldn't
get work, they sat in hotels 'begging' people to carry their luggage for
them.

Wow. They were poor and they expected strangers to carry their
luggage for them. They had a lot of nerve.

OK smart guy. They had to wait two hours for hot water, too. (-: G,DRFC

Thus, the origin of the Bell-Hop uniform. It was the Crimean War
uniform.

Very interesting.

I tried looking it up but couldn't find anything about the origin of the
bell hop uniform although I did learn bellhop is a derogatory term for
Marines assigned to the bridge of a Navy ship and that the fez-like hat is
called a tarboosh.

http://tarboosh.askdefine.com/

tarboosh n : a felt cap (usually red) for a man; shaped like a flat-topped
cone with a tassel that hangs from the crown [syn: fez]

--
Bobby G.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 22 Nov 2013 09:23:24 -0500, "Robert Green"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

On Wed, 20 Nov 2013 05:52:06 -0700, micky

wrote:

...snip...
[...]

That's very good to know. (Now I'm smarter than ever. ) Thanks.