DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   220V dryer sparked on startup (3 wire) What to test? (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/364110-220v-dryer-sparked-startup-3-wire-what-test.html)

Nightcrawler® November 18th 13 04:40 PM

220V dryer sparked on startup (3 wire) What to test?

"Dean Hoffman" " wrote in message news:l6bq8k$vi5

Most pivot irrigation system run off 3ø 480VAC. We sometimes tap power off the supply for the grain bins. Those are
typically 1ø?? 240 VAC like the supply for dryers.
We add a step up transformer and a phase converter to make the pivots run.
Does that alter your thinking?

240 off of a 480 system? How did you manage that? It should be 277.

[email protected] November 18th 13 06:36 PM

220V dryer sparked on startup (3 wire) What to test?

On Mon, 18 Nov 2013 05:48:03 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

On Sunday, November 17, 2013 9:42:14 PM UTC-5, wrote:
On Mon, 18 Nov 2013 01:28:53 +0000 (UTC), Danny D'Amico

I checked the voltage with my flukemeter which showed they were

each 120 volts ac with respect to the neutral.

...and 240V between them.

But, you're saying *those* two wires are 180 degrees out of phase with

each other, right?

They're the opposite. That's the only way there could be 120V from

each to ground and 240V between them. If there were less, they

couldn't be opposite. There can't be more.

Sigh. Some engineer. Engineers talk in terms of the phase
relationship of waveforms. KRW only understands "opposite"

Not when there isn't one. You're an illiterate liar, but that's
nothing new to anyone here, either. If there is a phase relationship
there is one. If it's zero, but opposite direction, that's what it is.
I'm sorry of you flunked CrackerJax-U EE-101. Get a refund.

Imagine a circle of radius 120 units. From the center to any point on

the circle it's 120 units. From one side of the circle to a point

directly opposite is 240 units. Between any other two points it's

something less than 120 units (never more).

And more obfuscation thrown in for good measure.

You could listen to KRW. Or you can listen to the IEEE (Institute
of Electrical and Electronic Engineers)
Here's a paper from the IEEE that specifically addresses the exact issue:

You're a liar, Trader, but that's nothing new.

[email protected] November 18th 13 06:46 PM

220V dryer sparked on startup (3 wire) What to test?

On Mon, 18 Nov 2013 10:40:15 -0600, Nightcrawler®
wrote:

On Sunday, November 17, 2013 6:06:30 PM UTC-5, wrote:

is, is often slang but it just adds confusion, as you point out.

That is the rub. Different nomenclature for different layers of the
profession. When I hooked up a genset I (the trade) referred to each
phase as A, B, and C, respectively. One got brown tape, one got orange,
and one got yellow. Generator taps are labeled 1 through 4, with 4 being
the neutral (a true neutral) and 1-3 following the A-C. The 1 winding
is phase A, the 2 winding is phase B, and the 3 winding is phase C.

You called them "phases" because they are the three phases of the
generator.

Using the term "phase" denotes a winding on the generator, not the sine
wave it creates. Phasing a generator was only making sure that the
generator rotation matched utility (clock/counter-clockwise).

It didn't matter which phase was labeled "A", as long as "B" is
120degrees later. If it wasn't, label it "C".

So, I think you may understand the confusion when the term "phase"
is describing the sine wave off of a single phase. His scope readings
are correct, but I haven't touched a scope since 1984, and really
could not tell you how it hooks up anymore, or whether he is using
polarized inputs. You know, the meter says...when reality is something
else.

A 'scope doesn't show everything. Because sine waves are very
symmetrical (positive/negative and forward/backward in time) a scope
can easily mislead. Put distortion on the primary of the transformer
and you will see it AT THE SAME TIME, not f/2 later, and opposite in
sign on the two legs of the Edison connection. If it were a phase
difference, the disturbance would be seen f/2 later on one of the
"phases". Therefore, here is no phase difference, only a sign
difference.

My Fluke 87 told me a lot of things. Did I always believe it? No, when
in question I busted out the mega expensive Simpson to clarify matters.
Analog does trump digital at times. Anyway, just blathering on, here.

That's a different issue and can be easily corrected with a resistor
(10K, or so). Simpsons are simply low impedance devices so will swamp
stray capacitive effects that will confuse a FET sort of meter. Analog
and digital have little to do with it.

Danny D'Amico November 18th 13 09:34 PM

220V dryer sparked on startup (3 wire) What to test?

On Mon, 18 Nov 2013 10:40:18 -0600, Nightcrawler® wrote:

The main thing I was trying to figure out was what type of service
entry that you had.

I'd *love* to know all of this information!

For example, given this is the service entrance, can anyone tell if my
neutral is connected to ground at the house or if it's *not* connected
to a ground at the house?
http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3780/1...9139da3c_o.gif

Here's a closeup of the connections to the ground/neutral of the house:
http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5473/1...9b4ea518_o.gif

If anyone can explain how the neutral in the picture is different (or
the same) as the ground, that would be enlightening to me (and others)!

Danny D'Amico November 18th 13 09:38 PM

220V dryer sparked on startup (3 wire) What to test?

On Mon, 18 Nov 2013 10:40:18 -0600, Nightcrawler® wrote:

As an aside, is there a metal (copper clad) rod
sticking out of the ground underneath, or there about, your meter-
main?

I've never noticed one ...

Danny D'Amico November 18th 13 09:40 PM

220V dryer sparked on startup (3 wire) What to test?

On Mon, 18 Nov 2013 10:40:18 -0600, Nightcrawler® wrote:

Hmmm, one thing I did not ask is whether or not you are the only customer
on this feed. If so, there might not be an underground box, and the wires
go straight to the transformer,

It turns out that I *am* the only customer on the feed.

The power shoots off from the distribution at the road, and it feeds only me.

So, I have a dedicated transformer (lucky me) that they always come onto my
property to clean up around.

How does that change anything for me?
Is it good? Bad?

[email protected][_2_] November 18th 13 09:54 PM

wrote:

[...]

Far from it. Here, once again, from an IEEE paper. You do know
the IEEE, (Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineers).
Most widely respected EE organization in the country. The paper
was presented at a conference of power industry engineers.

http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/xpl/artic...number=4520128

Distribution engineers have treated the standard "singlephase" distribution transformer connection as single phase because from the primary side of the transformer these connections are single phase and in the case of standard rural distribution single phase line to ground. However, with the advent of detailed circuit modeling we are beginning to see distribution modeling and analysis being accomplished past the transformer to the secondary. Which now brings into focus the reality that standard 120/240 secondary systems are not single phase line to ground systems, instead they are three wire systems with two phases and one ground wires. Further, the standard 120/240 secondary is different from the two phase primary system in that the secondary phases are separated by 180 degrees instead of three phases separated by 120 degrees."

Read the last two sentences. Who's the fool now?

Imagine a circle of radius 120 units. From the center to any point on

the circle it's 120 units. From one side of the circle to a point

directly opposite is 240 units. Between any other two points it's

something less than 120 units (never more).

And more obfuscation thrown in for good measure.

You could listen to KRW. Or you can listen to the IEEE (Institute

of Electrical and Electronic Engineers)

Here's a paper from the IEEE that specifically addresses the exact issue:

You're a liar, Trader, but that's nothing new.

How nice. krw claims he addresses every claim I've made.
Which of course is a lie, because right here you just
cut out the whole section where I cite the IEEE,
which cuts to the core of the whole discussion.
It shows I'm right, it's very specific, clear and
to the point and it was presented at an IEEE conference for
power engineeers. So, of course you can't address it,
it's irrefutable. Instead you hurl the usual insults.

In case you missed it, I posted it again, just for you.
But more so others can see who's right and who the real
liar is here.

Danny D'Amico November 18th 13 09:56 PM

220V dryer sparked on startup (3 wire) What to test?

On Mon, 18 Nov 2013 10:40:18 -0600, Nightcrawler® wrote:

The two bus bars
going to the right go straight to the upper meter "stabs". Prongs that
the meter slides into. There are four. The lower stabs feed the residence.

You seem to understand this muuuuch better than I do.

Can you give me any insight as to how these two boxes work:
http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3816/1...c5ff74c3_o.gif
(they're for the generator which kicks on automatically whenever the power it out).

The generator doesn't run the whole house, but most of it.
But, why the two huge boxes?

Note: the main breakers are on the other side of this wall.

[email protected][_2_] November 18th 13 10:17 PM

wrote:

[...]

LOL Now the scope is a liar too.

Put distortion on the primary of the transformer

and you will see it AT THE SAME TIME, not f/2 later, and opposite in

sign on the two legs of the Edison connection.

Which of course matters not a wit. A phase relationship is
a phase relationship. You don't even have to do this with wire.
Just invert any periodic waveform with or without distortion
and it's 180 deg out of phase with the original, regardless of
how you do it. At it's essence, it's a mathematical concept.
Good grief.

You can just put two waveform plots on a graph. Flip one over.
Ask any enginerring student what the phase relationship is
and they will tell you that they are 180 deg out of phase.

Except of course, krw who will insist on knowing where they
came from and if they were generated off a single phase that
comes from the power plant, then well they must be a single
phase forever I guess.

If it were a phase

difference, the disturbance would be seen f/2 later on one of the

"phases". Therefore, here is no phase difference, only a sign

difference.

Good grief, you just keep going further and deeper in the hole.
You've heard of a transistor right? What's the phase relationship
between the input and output of a common emitter single transistor
amplifier? EE's will tell you that it's 180 degrees. It doesn't
matter if it's a perfect sine wave, a noisy sinewave, a sawtooth
wave.

My Fluke 87 told me a lot of things. Did I always believe it? No, when

in question I busted out the mega expensive Simpson to clarify matters.

Analog does trump digital at times. Anyway, just blathering on, here.

Yes you sure are.

Here is the IEEE on the matter, once again, from a paper presented at
a power systems conference. It could not be any more specific, to the
point in question and they say you're wrong:

Oren[_2_] November 18th 13 10:30 PM

220V dryer sparked on startup (3 wire) What to test?

On Mon, 18 Nov 2013 21:38:58 +0000 (UTC), Danny D'Amico
wrote:

On Mon, 18 Nov 2013 10:40:18 -0600, Nightcrawler® wrote:

As an aside, is there a metal (copper clad) rod
sticking out of the ground underneath, or there about, your meter-
main?

I've never noticed one ...

Do you have a demark box for cable / phone lines below the meter. If
so, pull the cover and look inside the wall. The rod may be imbedded
through the concrete slab?

Dean Hoffman[_13_] November 18th 13 10:39 PM

Most pivot irrigation system run off 3ø 480VAC. We sometimes tap
power off the supply for the grain bins. Those are
typically 1ø?? 240 VAC like the supply for dryers.
We add a step up transformer and a phase converter to make the
pivots run.
Does that alter your thinking?

240 off of a 480 system? How did you manage that? It should be 277.

I didn't explain that very well. The supply is 240 single phase
at the bin sites. We kick it up to 480 and add a phase converter for
the third leg to power the pivots.

Doug Miller[_4_] November 19th 13 02:50 AM

220V dryer sparked on startup (3 wire) What to test?

?Q?Nightcrawler=C2=AE?= wrote in news:l6dfsi$2ul$1
@dont-email.me:

The two wires are the same phase and that each in reference to the
neutral show 180 degrees out of cycle. Both are on the same phase.

Wow. Amazing. "180 degrees out of cycle" = "same phase"????

Try "180 degrees out of cycle" = *out of* phase.

Doug Miller[_4_] November 19th 13 02:59 AM

Danny D'Amico wrote in :

On Mon, 18 Nov 2013 10:40:18 -0600, Nightcrawler® wrote:

The main thing I was trying to figure out was what type of service
entry that you had.

I'd *love* to know all of this information!

For example, given this is the service entrance, can anyone tell if my
neutral is connected to ground at the house or if it's *not* connected
to a ground at the house?

The National Electrical Code requires that it be connected to ground within some specific
(and short) distance from where it enters the house. Whether it actually *is* so connected or
not is a different matter. It certainly *should* be.

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3780/1...9139da3c_o.gif

That big bare copper wire that loops up over the top of the service panel and back down
the right side is your grounding conductor. Follow that, and see what it's attached to.

Doug Miller[_4_] November 19th 13 03:00 AM

Danny D'Amico wrote in :

On Mon, 18 Nov 2013 10:40:18 -0600, Nightcrawler® wrote:

As an aside, is there a metal (copper clad) rod
sticking out of the ground underneath, or there about, your meter-
main?

I've never noticed one ...

It may not project very far above ground level (or at all).

Danny D'Amico November 19th 13 04:24 AM

On Mon, 18 Nov 2013 14:30:50 -0800, Oren wrote:

Do you have a demark box for cable / phone lines below the meter. If
so, pull the cover and look inside the wall. The rod may be imbedded
through the concrete slab?

There is no cable where I live. There aren't enough people to make it
worth running the cable here, I guess. The only wires we get from
utilities are telephone and electricity. We all have to make our
own water and find a place to put it when we're done. Plus we all have
to figure out how to heat our homes and hot water heaters (most are
on propane, but some are on wood).

But, there is a phone "demarcation" box (I had to look up "demark")
inside the garage (in the center of my picture). There's also a hole
in the garage wall, so, I'll stick a flashlight there and look.

If I find a rod going into the ground, I'll snap a photo of it.

I still am confused as to WHERE exactly the ground goes into the
ground versus where the neutral goes into the ground.

I know some say they *both* go into the ground at the house, but,
I really would like to see that, physically, in my panel to make
sure that it is truly the case.

Nightcrawler® November 19th 13 06:02 AM

"Danny D'Amico" wrote in message ...
On Mon, 18 Nov 2013 10:40:18 -0600, Nightcrawler® wrote:

The two bus bars
going to the right go straight to the upper meter "stabs". Prongs that
the meter slides into. There are four. The lower stabs feed the residence.

You seem to understand this muuuuch better than I do.

Can you give me any insight as to how these two boxes work:
http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3816/1...c5ff74c3_o.gif
(they're for the generator which kicks on automatically whenever the power it out).

The generator doesn't run the whole house, but most of it.
But, why the two huge boxes?

Note: the main breakers are on the other side of this wall.

They are what they state on the cover. Not knowing how your house is
wired, I can only speculate. Do you have more than one sub-panel?
Meaning more than one enclosure in your house that has circuit breakers?

Essentially your back-up generator has a circuit that monitors utility
voltage. It appears that you have at least two 2-pole circuit breakers
leaving your meter-main enclosure via the same raceway. How things turn
out after this, I cannot say. I would suspect that at least one of these
circuits goes to one of the transfer switches,I can only speculate.

What happens is that when the power goes out the monitoring circuit of the
generator will activate the transfer switch. How the logic of this function
is carried out is still speculation. Some simple circuits just use a relay
powered by the utility, and when the utility fails it closes contacts that
activate the transfer switch and starts the generator. When the transfer
switch activates the lines to your sub-panels are cut off from the meter-
main and the output of the generator is isolated from back feeding the utility.

Since you have two transfer switches you might have two sub-panels, or one
transfer switch cuts off the meter-main while the other transfer switch
engages what are considered essential loads in your house. I cannot say with
what information I have. There are interlocks that will prevent an accidental
back feed of the utility and when the utility comes back on the transfer switches
will cut-off the generator output, re-engage utility, then turn off the generator
instantly or after a specified time period to maintain rapid switching capability
in case the utility just cuts in and cuts back out again.

Once again, not knowing the control logic of your system or the power distribution
of your system only allows me to speculate. It looks like you have a good set
up, though.

What part of the Santa Cruz Mountains do you live in? I grew up in the San Lorenzo
Valley and I used to live on the Santa Cruz side of Los Gatos. A few miles south
of Summit Road. Its a fun drive to take Summit to Skyline, and then up to 92.
Hang a left and hit 1 then head North.

Danny D'Amico November 19th 13 06:10 AM

On Tue, 19 Nov 2013 00:02:10 -0600, Nightcrawler® wrote:

Do you have more than one sub-panel?
Meaning more than one enclosure in your house that has circuit breakers?

Yup. There are three, actually five, no, seven, if I count the wells and
pool equipment.

But, inside the house, there are only three (counting the main panel).

Danny D'Amico November 19th 13 06:11 AM

220V dryer sparked on startup (3 wire) What to test?

On Tue, 19 Nov 2013 00:02:10 -0600, Nightcrawler® wrote:

What part of the Santa Cruz Mountains do you live in? I grew up in the San Lorenzo
Valley and I used to live on the Santa Cruz side of Los Gatos. A few miles south
of Summit Road.

Very near to Summit Road. The views are stupendous. But the power is horrendous!
:)

Nightcrawler® November 19th 13 06:15 AM

220V dryer sparked on startup (3 wire) What to test?

"Danny D'Amico" wrote in message ...
On Tue, 19 Nov 2013 00:02:10 -0600, Nightcrawler® wrote:

Do you have more than one sub-panel?
Meaning more than one enclosure in your house that has circuit breakers?

Yup. There are three, actually five, no, seven, if I count the wells and
pool equipment.

But, inside the house, there are only three (counting the main panel).

When you state "main panel", do you mean the meter-main outside?

Danny D'Amico November 19th 13 06:16 AM

220V dryer sparked on startup (3 wire) What to test?

On Tue, 19 Nov 2013 00:02:10 -0600, Nightcrawler® wrote:

Since you have two transfer switches you might have two sub-panels, or one
transfer switch cuts off the meter-main while the other transfer switch
engages what are considered essential loads in your house.

I understand what you're saying.

The two things that confuse me a
a) Why TWO big boxes?
and,
b) WHy so big anyway?

What the heck is in there? A huge switch? Lots of circuits? A big heat sink?
I guess I could open them up and look. :)

To clarify though, the generac does kick in whenever the power dies.
It also runs once a week, to charge the battery.
I don't think it powers the house when it does that though.
So, somehow, the circuitry must be cut off for the battery charging.

Also, almost the entire house, but, not the entire house is energized
when the generac kicks in. Most of the lights and outlets are energized
(which means both interior circuit breaker panels are being fed), as
are most of the outlets.

But the outside of the house also has panels, which run the pool and
well equipment, which I don't think is energized when the power is out.

Come to think of it, the well must be energized? Or we'd run out of
water. So, I'm actually not sure what is energized since most things
seem to work when the generator kicks in.

Wes Groleau November 19th 13 07:12 AM

220V dryer sparked on startup (3 wire) What to test?

On 11-17-2013, 21:17, wrote: Idiot. I've responded*MANY*
times. You keep saying*exactly* the
same thing in different ways and expect a different, wrong, answer.

Indeed. You should have learned two dozen posts back tht you'll just
keep getting the same wrong answer.

Sorry, but you may have nothing else to do in your life but argue, I'm

Oh, the irony....

--
Wes Groleau

You always have time for what you do first.

Nightcrawler® November 19th 13 07:13 AM

[...]

The pool probably is not, but I imagine your well is. Unless you have a
large storage tank with accompanying pressure tank and pump. It is odd
that there is not a utility fed battery charger, but that "is" an extra
expense both in having a second battery charger and the safety interlocks
to isolate the two. While charging the generator is only running the
battery charger. This is a scheduled event, or there are sensing circuits
for battery voltage.

The transfer switches can be a bit large, and I imagine there are other relays
for interlocks and who knows what else is inside. Pop the covers and take
a look. Turn the main breaker off and see if you can trace the wiring out.
There might even be a schematic inside each cover with information about
the specific function of each transfer switch. A good installer would leave
such information on premise, somewhere.

A powered transfer switch is essentially a large multi-pole relay. There
are many different types and their functions and wiring methods differ
from one model/concept to another. Get the serial numbers off of your units
and look them up. You might even be able to find a manual online. I have
never worked with residential transfer switches, nor Generac stand alone
units. The transfer switches I have worked with are about the size of (or
larger than) the enclosures your switches are in.

Have fun and be careful while poking around.

Nightcrawler® November 19th 13 07:15 AM

"Nightcrawler®" wrote in message ...

"Danny D'Amico" wrote in message ...
On Tue, 19 Nov 2013 00:02:10 -0600, Nightcrawler® wrote:

Oh, if you turn off the main, make sure to disable the generator, first.

Stormin Mormon[_10_] November 19th 13 11:51 AM

On 11/19/2013 1:11 AM, Danny D'Amico wrote:
On Tue, 19 Nov 2013 00:02:10 -0600, Nightcrawler® wrote:

What part of the Santa Cruz Mountains do you live in? I grew up in the San Lorenzo
Valley and I used to live on the Santa Cruz side of Los Gatos. A few miles south
of Summit Road.

Very near to Summit Road. The views are stupendous. But the power is horrendous!
:)

The power being horrendus,
is worth it for view stupendous
We live on a mountain
Youth is our fountain
And backup is our generatorendus

A tree branch takes out our power
When we have wind or even a shower
We go throw the transfer switch
Try not to drive into the ditch
And environmentalists all rally for the flower

The skyline it is all black
I'm thinking of moving myself back
I can't stand this condition
I maintain my position
We've got to buy a Generac.

--
..
Christopher A. Young

Stormin Mormon[_10_] November 19th 13 11:52 AM

On 11/19/2013 2:12 AM, Wes Groleau wrote:
On 11-17-2013, 21:17, wrote: Idiot. I've responded*MANY*
times. You keep saying*exactly* the
same thing in different ways and expect a different, wrong, answer.

Indeed. You should have learned two dozen posts back tht you'll just
keep getting the same wrong answer.

Sorry, but you may have nothing else to do in your life but argue, I'm

Oh, the irony....

Have you noticed that some Usenet posters
repeatedly say that they won't answer any
more?

--
..
Christopher A. Young

[email protected][_2_] November 19th 13 01:15 PM

On Monday, November 18, 2013 11:24:56 PM UTC-5, Danny D'Amico wrote:
[...]

Sigh... It's been explained many times that the neutral and
ground don't both go into the ground. You even took a pic
of the 3 insulated service conductors where they enter your
house. It was pointed out to you that the smaller one is
the neutral. It runs back to the power transformer.

The neutral is connected together with an earth ground
at your panel and at the transformer. Or as Doug says,
at least they should be.....

[email protected][_2_] November 19th 13 01:19 PM

On Tuesday, November 19, 2013 1:16:00 AM UTC-5, Danny D'Amico wrote:
On Tue, 19 Nov 2013 00:02:10 -0600, Nightcrawler® wrote:

Since you have two transfer switches you might have two sub-panels, or one

transfer switch cuts off the meter-main while the other transfer switch

engages what are considered essential loads in your house.

I understand what you're saying.

The two things that confuse me a

a) Why TWO big boxes?

and,

b) WHy so big anyway?

What the heck is in there? A huge switch? Lots of circuits? A big heat sink?

I guess I could open them up and look. :)

To clarify though, the generac does kick in whenever the power dies.

It also runs once a week, to charge the battery.

Normally they run once a week to verify that they are
operational, not to charge the battery. The battery is
normally charged via the utility AC. Starting a generator
just to charge a battery wouldn't be very efficient.

[email protected][_2_] November 19th 13 01:27 PM

wrote:

[...]

Keep calling me a liar, while cutting out the spot on reference
I provided from the IEEE from a paper presented at an engineering
conference on power.
No comment on that, because it's irrefutable that their terminology
and opinon on the exact question at hand is the same as mine.
And at this point, it appears everyone else too, but you....

[...]

Pay special attention to the one sentence:

"Which now brings into focus the reality that standard 120/240 secondary systems are not single phase line to ground systems, instead they are three wire systems with two phases and one ground wires. "

Feel free to admit at any time that you were wrong. Or keep cursing in
the darkness, your choice.

Stormin Mormon[_10_] November 19th 13 01:32 PM

On 11/19/2013 8:27 AM, wrote:
On Monday, November 18, 2013 1:36:49 PM UTC-5, wrote:
On Mon, 18 Nov 2013 05:48:03 -0800 (PST), "

You're a liar, Trader, but that's nothing new.

Keep calling me a liar, while cutting out the spot on reference
I provided from the IEEE from a paper presented at an engineering
conference on power.

Feel free to admit at any time that you were wrong. Or keep cursing in
the darkness, your choice.

Anyone but me expect this thread to make
the list?

--
..
Christopher A. Young

Nate Nagel November 19th 13 01:33 PM

On 11/19/2013 08:15 AM, wrote:
[...]

If this is an older house there may not be a ground rod only a heavy
bare copper wire connecting the ground/neutral bus of the panel to the
water service entrance.

Any gas piping should also be bonded to ground, but that better not be
the *only* connection...

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

[email protected][_2_] November 19th 13 01:37 PM

On Monday, November 18, 2013 4:34:10 PM UTC-5, Danny D'Amico wrote:
On Mon, 18 Nov 2013 10:40:18 -0600, Nightcrawler® wrote:

The main thing I was trying to figure out was what type of service

entry that you had.

I'd *love* to know all of this information!

For example, given this is the service entrance, can anyone tell if my

neutral is connected to ground at the house or if it's *not* connected

to a ground at the house?

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3780/1...9139da3c_o.gif

Here's a closeup of the connections to the ground/neutral of the house:

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5473/1...9b4ea518_o.gif

You see that big bare copper wire on the right side, that comes
over the top and down part way on the left? It's a ground wire
and it's connected right there to the neutral.

If anyone can explain how the neutral in the picture is different (or

the same) as the ground, that would be enlightening to me (and others)!

The neutrals in the house from your 120V loads carry current.
The neutral leaving the house back to the Xformer carries the
unbalanced current. Grounds don't normally carry current and
are they for protection. If a hot wire in a grounded appliance
made contact with the metal case, then current would flow in
the ground wire.

Now it's a little more complicated than that, because the neutral
is connected to ground at the service panel and the transformer.
So, while the vast majority of the unbalanced current is going to
flow back to the Xformer via the neutral because it's an excellent
conductor, some small amount will flow via the earth too, because
that is an alternate path. It's like having two resistors in parallel,
one that's very low in ohms, one that is higher.

[email protected][_2_] November 19th 13 02:53 PM

On Tuesday, November 19, 2013 8:32:46 AM UTC-5, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 11/19/2013 8:27 AM, wrote:

On Monday, November 18, 2013 1:36:49 PM UTC-5, wrote:

On Mon, 18 Nov 2013 05:48:03 -0800 (PST), "

You're a liar, Trader, but that's nothing new.

Keep calling me a liar, while cutting out the spot on reference

I provided from the IEEE from a paper presented at an engineering

conference on power.

Feel free to admit at any time that you were wrong. Or keep cursing in

the darkness, your choice.

Anyone but me expect this thread to make

the list?

Perhaps. I just thought of another way to make krw's day.
It's a little complicated and clearly over his pay grade.
His position is that with split-phase service, there is only
one phase present, that you can't say the two hot legs are
180 deg out of phase, etc, because it originates from only one
phase of the primary distribution. Well, then what about
open delta? Open delta allows a utility to provide 3 phase
service for lighter loads using just TWO transformers, instead of
3. It saves the cost of an additional transformer. One transformer
is connected to each of TWO primary high voltage lines.
So, they have connections to only 2 primary phases, yet
they deliver 3 phase power. According to krw's standards,
that should be called 2 phase, because it only uses two of
the transmission's 3 phases. Yet it's called 3 phase, there
are 3 phases that you can see on a scope and just like
the 240V/120V service it's done with transformers.

bud-- November 19th 13 03:01 PM

On 11/19/2013 12:16 AM, Danny D'Amico wrote:
On Tue, 19 Nov 2013 00:02:10 -0600, Nightcrawler® wrote:

Since you have two transfer switches you might have two sub-panels, or one
transfer switch cuts off the meter-main while the other transfer switch
engages what are considered essential loads in your house.

I understand what you're saying.

The two things that confuse me a
a) Why TWO big boxes?
and,
b) WHy so big anyway?

What the heck is in there? A huge switch? Lots of circuits? A big heat sink?
I guess I could open them up and look. :)

The top 2 breakers feed back through a conduit at the top of the service
panel section. This very likely goes to the transfer switches. Two sets
of wires then come back into the service panel. One exits out the top
right. They are the feeders to subpanels that have backup generator power.

The transfer switch boxes each have a contactor (a large relay) that
switches one feeder back and forth between normal power and generator.

To clarify though, the generac does kick in whenever the power dies.
It also runs once a week, to charge the battery.
I don't think it powers the house when it does that though.
So, somehow, the circuitry must be cut off for the battery charging.

Also, almost the entire house, but, not the entire house is energized
when the generac kicks in. Most of the lights and outlets are energized
(which means both interior circuit breaker panels are being fed), as
are most of the outlets.

Whatever is feed from the 2 top circuit breakers has backup power.

Danny D'Amico November 19th 13 03:30 PM

220V dryer sparked on startup (3 wire) What to test?

On Tue, 19 Nov 2013 01:13:33 -0600, Nightcrawler® wrote:

The pool probably is not ...

I'm pretty sure the pool is not on the charger (it has three 1-3/4HP 240V pumps).

but I imagine your well is. Unless you have a large storage tank with
accompanying pressure tank and pump.

There is a man-sized blue tank which is the pressure tank with a bladder
inside, and another powerful motor pressurizing the system to something
like 80 psi; and, there are 10,000 gallons of water; so, it *could* be
that the well isn't running on the generator, but that the pressure
system is.

Thanks for pointing that out. I will check next time the power goes out.

It is odd that there is not a utility fed battery charger, but that "is"
an extra expense both in having a second battery charger and the safety
interlocks to isolate the two.

Interesting idea. I didn't know they even existed. But, it makes sense.
Even a basic automotive trickle charger would work just fine to charge
the battery!

While charging the generator is only running the battery charger.

I wonder if the weekly startup also preserves the life of the motor?

Is this a scheduled event, or are there battery voltage sensing circuits

It's scheduled.
The generator fires itself up every Friday at the same time.

Danny D'Amico November 19th 13 03:32 PM

220V dryer sparked on startup (3 wire) What to test?

On Tue, 19 Nov 2013 00:18:40 -0600, Nightcrawler® wrote:

West or East of 17?

East. Past where Summit road isn't Summit Road anymore.

Danny D'Amico November 19th 13 03:34 PM

On Tue, 19 Nov 2013 06:51:35 -0500, Stormin Mormon wrote:

The power being horrendus,
is worth it for view stupendous
We live on a mountain
Youth is our fountain
And backup is our generatorendus

A tree branch takes out our power
When we have wind or even a shower
We go throw the transfer switch
Try not to drive into the ditch
And environmentalists all rally for the flower

The skyline it is all black
I'm thinking of moving myself back
I can't stand this condition
I maintain my position
We've got to buy a Generac.

Wow. Just wow!
That was clever and hilarious!
And apropos all the way.

You should sell that to Generac for them to
use as their theme song on the web site & in
commercials!

Thanks for brightening my day!

Stormin Mormon[_10_] November 19th 13 03:41 PM

On 11/19/2013 10:34 AM, Danny D'Amico wrote:
[...]

Thanks, glad my wit and poetry did some good. They are welcome to have
the limerick for free. No credit needed.

--
..
Christopher A. Young

[email protected][_2_] November 19th 13 04:02 PM

On Monday, November 18, 2013 9:50:53 PM UTC-5, Doug Miller wrote:
?Q?Nightcrawler=C2=AE?= wrote in news:l6dfsi$2ul$1

@dont-email.me:

The two wires are the same phase and that each in reference to the

neutral show 180 degrees out of cycle. Both are on the same phase.

Wow. Amazing. "180 degrees out of cycle" = "same phase"????

Try "180 degrees out of cycle" = *out of* phase.

Good luck explaining that to krw. According to him, the only
proper term apparently is "opposite". What a precise engineering
term...... I've even given him references to an IEEE paper
delivered at a conference of power engineers that specifically
addresses the point. But he just ignores it all.

Wes Groleau November 19th 13 04:34 PM

On 11-18-2013, 17:17, wrote:
Here is the IEEE on the matter, once again, from a paper presented at
a power systems conference. It could not be any more specific, to the
point in question and they say you're wrong:

EEWW. Is that a dead horse I smell?

--
Wes Groleau

People would have more leisure time if it weren't
for all the leisure-time activities that use it up.
€” Peg Bracken