Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Keeping distressed look when refinishing wood floor

replying to cassini, Oak Park Rehabber wrote:
diocito wrote:

Now here's your questions:
Q: A palm sander , heee hee hee , you dont know what you are getting
your
self into. Do you want it greyed ? Do you want it looking new with
worm holes ? Are you doing what you want or what you said "people
want"
You want to keep water stains ??? . Umless your decorating is
Rustic
or its a remodeled barn and you have 12" wide gap pine it will
probably
be a mistake that anyone will redo. Forget the palm sander idea.
A: I'm not sure what you mean by do I want it "greyed." I want it to
have a distressed look (because it is distressed) but preserve/protect
it with a few coats of something or other. I don't mind if areas of
wear and tear or stains create an inconsistent look to the stain. If
in the course of sanding, I end up removing the stain color, I don't
mind. I can live with the "natural wood" color.
Q: If you want rustic, why do you want to sand? What's on the floor
now?
Shellac, probably, if it hasn't been refinished in many years. Any
reason
why you can't clean it and add more coats if it needs it?
A: I am not sure what finish is on the floor now. I seriously doubt
its any product made in the last 30 years. I believe I need to
lightly sand because there are some rough spots that will give you a
splinter if you walk around in your bare feet. Also, won't sanding
help a finish coat "take" better? Your "clean-add more coats" idea is
intriguing. Any recommendations good ways to clean the floor? Can a
"clean-sand some rough spots-add more coats" approach work?
Thanks, look forward to hearing from you.

I have the same issue -- The floors are in pretty bad shape -- water
stains and different colored finishes in different rooms -- but I don't
want the floors to look brand new. Did your method work?

--
posted from
http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...or-534787-.htm