DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Shocked! (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/363373-shocked.html)

Fred October 27th 13 01:20 AM

Shocked!

How can I be getting shocked off my faucet? This happens only in my
bathroom & laundry tub downstairs. It's not all the time, but it's a good
enough zap to make you jump.

Doug Miller[_4_] October 27th 13 01:50 AM

Shocked!

"Fred" wrote in :

How can I be getting shocked off my faucet? This happens only in my
bathroom & laundry tub downstairs. It's not all the time, but it's a good
enough zap to make you jump.

You have at least two problems: a fault in your electrical system somewhere is energizing that
pipe, and the pipe itself is not properly grounded.

Get a qualified electrician out to look at this ASAP: this could be fatal.

Robert Green October 27th 13 02:57 AM

Shocked!

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
"Fred" wrote in :

How can I be getting shocked off my faucet? This happens only in my
bathroom & laundry tub downstairs. It's not all the time, but it's a

good
enough zap to make you jump.

You have at least two problems: a fault in your electrical system

somewhere is energizing that
pipe, and the pipe itself is not properly grounded.

Get a qualified electrician out to look at this ASAP: this could be fatal.

It's probably a good idea to first determine whether this is a static
electricity shock or an actual 110VAC buzz. I'm betting on the former
because water pipes are *usually* grounded so it's hard to energize them to
the point of getting a shock unless you're touching something that's an even
better ground. If walking on a carpet has given your body a static electric
charge then it could be easily dumped to ground when you touch a faucet or
some other metal part of the plumbing.

Fred, is your basement carpeted? Are we talking a sudden spark and a zap or
is there a constant tingling when you touch the faucet? Do you have plastic
water pipes or copper? Does this happen all the time or just when the
humidity is very low? Do you have an electric water heater or gas unit?

--
Bobby G.

nestork October 27th 13 03:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fred (Post 3139531)
How can I be getting shocked off my faucet? This happens only in my
bathroom & laundry tub downstairs. It's not all the time, but it's a good
enough zap to make you jump.

I would check for voltage between each of your plumbing pipes and the neutral terminal of an electrical outlet. On a polarized receptacle, the neutral will be the taller slot.

Notice if your phone rings when there's voltage in the pipe. Telephones operate on fairly low voltage... except when they ring. The ring signal to a telephone is a whopping 90 volts AC, which is enough to give you a pretty good shock.

philo [_2_] October 27th 13 01:04 PM

Shocked!

On 10/26/2013 08:20 PM, Fred wrote:
How can I be getting shocked off my faucet? This happens only in my
bathroom & laundry tub downstairs. It's not all the time, but it's a good
enough zap to make you jump.

That is a *damn serious* situation and you need to have a certified
electrician take care of it *at once*!

115vac *can* be fatal!

Do not fool with it.

It appears to be an electrical ground circuit connected to an ungrounded
water pipe.

--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MS85K...ature=youtu.be

TomR[_3_] October 27th 13 02:15 PM

Shocked!

Robert Green wrote:
"Fred" wrote in
:

[...]

All good questions. Hopefully, the OP (Fred) will reply back.

bob haller October 27th 13 04:02 PM

Shocked!

if OP has a electric hot water tank it could have a heater failing. energizing the water in the tank and line.

best to get this fixed FAST, since it could be lethal:(

bud-- October 27th 13 04:03 PM

Shocked!

On 10/26/2013 8:57 PM, Robert Green wrote:
"Doug wrote in message
wrote in :

How can I be getting shocked off my faucet? This happens only in my
bathroom& laundry tub downstairs. It's not all the time, but it's a
good
enough zap to make you jump.

You have at least two problems: a fault in your electrical system

somewhere is energizing that
pipe, and the pipe itself is not properly grounded.

Get a qualified electrician out to look at this ASAP: this could be fatal.

It's probably a good idea to first determine whether this is a static
electricity shock or an actual 110VAC buzz. I'm betting on the former
because water pipes are *usually* grounded so it's hard to energize them to
the point of getting a shock unless you're touching something that's an even
better ground.

Usedta be grounded. Now there is PEX and PVC and whatnot.
Its all the fault of them PEX nuts on this newsgroup.

I agree the OP should figure out what is going on.

Not stated - what the other 'contact' is, like a concrete floor.

Tony944[_3_] October 27th 13 05:07 PM

Shocked!

You are getting zap or shock those are two different things
if you are getting zap it is what you are wearing you socks or you clothes
some time I rub my touché on the chair approach my spouse put finger on her
touché
or boobs then I get few kind words from her

Robert Green October 27th 13 05:59 PM

Shocked!

"TomR" wrote in message
Robert Green wrote:
"Fred" wrote in
:

[...]

Thanks. I thought it was a bit premature to call in the cavalry because the
word "zap" in the original post made me think "static shock" and not 110VAC.
But it always pays to be careful and I think with the right questions (and
perhaps some testing) we can help the OP determine what's going on.

--
Bobby G.

Fred October 27th 13 06:47 PM

Shocked!

"Fred" wrote in :

[...]

No carpet in basement. There's a constant tingling, and the pipes are
copper. This happens all the time, in fact, I just got shocked off the
kitchen faucet, which is a first! The water heater is gas. The problem
appears to be getting worse.

Fred October 27th 13 06:57 PM

Shocked!

"Robert Green" wrote in message
"TomR" wrote in message
Robert Green wrote:
"Fred" wrote in
:

[...]

Ok, this is way weird. I just was going to replace a toilet flapper. I
went to turn the shut off valve, and got zapped, big time!

Bill[_47_] October 27th 13 07:19 PM

Shocked!

Fred wrote:
"Robert Green" wrote in message
"TomR" wrote in message
Robert Green wrote:
"Fred" wrote in
:

[...]

It's not that weird. As has been pointed out, some malfunctioning
appliance is grounded to your plumbing. As has been suggested, get a
professional to isolate the problem before someone gets hurt!

philo [_2_] October 27th 13 07:25 PM

Shocked!

On 10/27/2013 01:57 PM, Fred wrote:
"Robert Green" wrote in message
"TomR" wrote in message
Robert Green wrote:
"Fred" wrote in
:

[...]

!!!I TOLD YOU TO GET A QUALIFIED ELECTRICIAN IN ASAP

EVEN 115V CAN BE FATAL!!!!!

--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MS85K...ature=youtu.be

RBM[_2_] October 27th 13 07:57 PM

Shocked!

"Fred" wrote in :

[...]

If the water feed to the house is non metallic, you need to install or verify that you have a properly sized bonding conductor going from a 3/4" cold water pipe to your electric service neutral/ground bar. Also be sure you have proper grounding electrodes on the service.

[email protected] October 27th 13 08:04 PM

Shocked!

On Sunday, October 27, 2013 1:59:29 PM UTC-4, Robert Green wrote:
"TomR" wrote in message

Robert Green wrote:

"Fred" wrote in

:

[...]

I'd say you have to be an idiot not to be
familiar with static shocks and to mistake
that for being shocked by your faucet. But
the Bobby has that ground covered. The most
obvious thing is that it would *not* be just
the faucet that you get a static shock from.

Doug Miller[_4_] October 27th 13 08:51 PM

Shocked!

"Fred" wrote in :

Ok, this is way weird. I just was going to replace a toilet flapper. I
went to turn the shut off valve, and got zapped, big time!

Quit posting on Usenet, and call an electrician NOW before someone gets a fatal shock.

Like I told you in my response to your first post, you have a fault in your electrical system that is
energizing your water pipes -- *and* the pipes are not properly grounded.

You NEED an electrician, and you need one YESTERDAY. This is potentially DEADLY.

Fred October 27th 13 09:12 PM

Shocked!

"Fred" wrote in :

Ok, this is way weird. I just was going to replace a toilet flapper. I
went to turn the shut off valve, and got zapped, big time!

Quit posting on Usenet, and call an electrician NOW before someone gets a
fatal shock.

Like I told you in my response to your first post, you have a fault in
your electrical system that is
energizing your water pipes -- *and* the pipes are not properly grounded.

You NEED an electrician, and you need one YESTERDAY. This is potentially
DEADLY.

I got a call in to an electrician, they will be out Wednesday. Now you're
making me nervous if I should even use the shower tonight or not.

Nate Nagel October 27th 13 09:22 PM

Shocked!

"Fred" wrote in :

[...]

If you're getting "buzzed" you need to be very careful around your
piping and get it checked out ASAP. You've got at least two problems,
one, the water piping system is (surprisingly) not properly grounded,
two, it's getting AC voltage applied to it from somewhere. If it were
properly grounded, the breaker would have tripped for the voltage source.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Nate Nagel October 27th 13 09:26 PM

Shocked!

On 10/27/2013 03:19 PM, Bill wrote:
Fred wrote:
"Robert Green" wrote in message
"TomR" wrote in message
Robert Green wrote:
"Fred" wrote in
:

[...]

If you have a voltmeter or test light, measure voltage from a copper
pipe to a good ground (usually the copper pipe *would* be a good ground,
but in this case it is apparently not! Try a grounded receptacle.) I'm
guessing you'll find there is some. Unplug any appliance that connects
to water line one at a time (clothes washer, refrigerator with ice maker
are the two obvious ones; water softener if you have it, etc.) until you
find the faulty one. Leave that one unplugged until it's fixed.

If you've unplugged everything and you still have voltage on the pipes,
start turning off breakers one by one until it goes away. Then
depending on your skill level you can find the issue or give a pro a
good place to start troubleshooting (and be safe in the meantime.)

Consider driving some ground rods, and bonding your panel and plumbing
system so this doesn't happen again!

nate

philo [_2_] October 27th 13 09:41 PM

Shocked!

"Fred" wrote in :

Ok, this is way weird. I just was going to replace a toilet flapper. I
went to turn the shut off valve, and got zapped, big time!

Quit posting on Usenet, and call an electrician NOW before someone gets a
fatal shock.

Like I told you in my response to your first post, you have a fault in
your electrical system that is
energizing your water pipes -- *and* the pipes are not properly grounded.

You NEED an electrician, and you need one YESTERDAY. This is potentially
DEADLY.

I got a call in to an electrician, they will be out Wednesday. Now you're
making me nervous if I should even use the shower tonight or not.

DO NOT use your shower why risk your life?

I'd spend the extra money and get an electrician in tomorrow .

SERIOUSLY this could be lethal, no one here is trying to scare you
unnecessarily.

--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MS85K...ature=youtu.be

bob haller October 27th 13 09:45 PM

Shocked!

turn off the main breaker, do you still feel the shock?

if not turn on main breaker and leave all other breakers off....
do you feel shock?

if not turn on one breaker at a time till you find the one that causes the shock

note whats on that breaker and unplug everything ..... do you still feel shock?

if not plug one thing in at a time.......

doing this preliminary work will save the electrician time and you money.

do you remember when troops in iraq got electocuted showering? I wouldnt shower till this is fixed.

although if turning off your main breakerstops the shock then only shower with all power off.

most likely causes, a malfunctioning dishwasher or clothes washer, a garbage disposal, or other electric appliance that uses water.

although a water line might be getting in contact with a power line.

in any case if in doubt get a electrician there ASAP which isnt wednesday.
THIS CAN KILL YOU:(

bob haller October 27th 13 09:47 PM

Shocked!

theres a possiblity the power source could be a neighbors malfunctiong whatever

Stormin Mormon[_10_] October 27th 13 10:01 PM

Shocked!

On 10/27/2013 2:47 PM, Fred wrote:
No carpet in basement. There's a constant tingling, and the pipes are
copper. This happens all the time, in fact, I just got shocked off the
kitchen faucet, which is a first! The water heater is gas. The problem
appears to be getting worse.

Call electrician, then a priest.

--
..
Christopher A. Young

Stormin Mormon[_10_] October 27th 13 10:02 PM

Shocked!

On 10/27/2013 2:57 PM, Fred wrote:

Ok, this is way weird. I just was going to replace a toilet flapper. I
went to turn the shut off valve, and got zapped, big time!

Hmm. Praying, while down there?

Sounds dangerous. Please let us know, or have your
next of kin let us know, how it works out.

--
..
Christopher A. Young

Stormin Mormon[_10_] October 27th 13 10:03 PM

Shocked!

On 10/27/2013 3:19 PM, Bill wrote:
Fred wrote:
Ok, this is way weird. I just was going to replace a toilet flapper. I
went to turn the shut off valve, and got zapped, big time!

It's not that weird. As has been pointed out, some malfunctioning
appliance is grounded to your plumbing. As has been suggested, get a
professional to isolate the problem before someone gets hurt!

I'd think more like neutral to the plumbing.

--
..
Christopher A. Young

Stormin Mormon[_10_] October 27th 13 10:04 PM

Shocked!

On 10/27/2013 5:12 PM, Fred wrote:

I got a call in to an electrician, they will be out Wednesday. Now you're
making me nervous if I should even use the shower tonight or not.

I vote no. Why risk further shocks?

--
..
Christopher A. Young

[email protected] October 27th 13 10:05 PM

Shocked!

On Saturday, October 26, 2013 8:20:19 PM UTC-5, Fred wrote:
How can I be getting shocked off my faucet? This happens only in my bathroom & laundry tub downstairs. It's not all the time, but it's a good enough zap to make you jump.

Our OP has not said if he is barefooted, what else he was touching when he got the shock. But it does seem to NOT BE a static electricity thing since he states it is more or less continuous in one of his posts.

Stormin Mormon[_10_] October 27th 13 10:07 PM

Shocked!

On 10/27/2013 5:47 PM, bob haller wrote:
theres a possiblity the power source could
be a neighbors malfunctiong whatever

And sending power through the water pipe?
I'd expect the neighbor's appliance to send
power into the pipe, which would ground out
between his house and Fred's.

Be spooky if Fred was getting zapped by some
thing in a neighbor's house.

--
..
Christopher A. Young

[email protected] October 27th 13 10:52 PM

Shocked!

Fred wrote:
"Robert Green" wrote in message
"TomR" wrote in message
Robert Green wrote:
"Fred" wrote in
:

[...]

FIRST thing to check is the jumper pver the water meter - make sure
the copper piping IS grounded. Once it is grounded there is a pretty
good chance a breaker will "pop", telling you where the problem is.
Just grab a booster cable to do the temporary ground - see if that
fixes it.

[email protected] October 27th 13 10:57 PM

Shocked!

On Sun, 27 Oct 2013 14:45:41 -0700 (PDT), bob haller
wrote:

[...]

MOST likely is the electric panel is "bonded" to the water pipe, and
the jumper across the water meter is open. - meaning you have an open
ground and a "live" plumbing system. Leakage to ground in ANY
electrical device will make the system live - not just a "water
connected" device.

However, IF you have an electric hot water heater and it's been a bit
slow lately, you quite possibly have a blown heater element. Shut off
the water heater to prove.

[email protected] October 27th 13 10:58 PM

Shocked!

On Sun, 27 Oct 2013 15:05:59 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

On Saturday, October 26, 2013 8:20:19 PM UTC-5, Fred wrote:
How can I be getting shocked off my faucet? This happens only in my bathroom & laundry tub downstairs. It's not all the time, but it's a good enough zap to make you jump.

Our OP has not said if he is barefooted, what else he was touching when he got the shock. But it does seem to NOT BE a static electricity thing since he states it is more or less continuous in one of his posts.

He also says it is intermittent. Which points to a high possibility
it is a water heater problem.

Doug Miller[_4_] October 27th 13 11:33 PM

Shocked!

"Fred" wrote in :

I got a call in to an electrician, they will be out Wednesday. Now you're
making me nervous if I should even use the shower tonight or not.

Do you feel lucky?

NO, you should not. It might be the last shower you ever take.

Doug Miller[_4_] October 27th 13 11:36 PM

Shocked!

bob haller wrote in news:276d23a2-9ba4-484d-ab23-15e1ed94a724
@googlegroups.com:

turn off the main breaker, do you still feel the shock?

if not turn on main breaker and leave all other breakers off....
do you feel shock?

if not turn on one breaker at a time till you find the one that causes the shock

note whats on that breaker and unplug everything ..... do you still feel shock?

You f*cking moron. You tell him to look for leaks of 120VAC current by feeling for them -- I bet
you'd tell him to look for gas leaks with a match, too.

Fred -- pay no attention to bob haller's advice. PLEASE.

[email protected] October 27th 13 11:59 PM

Shocked!

On Saturday, October 26, 2013 10:20:29 PM UTC-5, nestork wrote:
Fred;3139531 Wrote:

How can I be getting shocked off my faucet? This happens only in my

bathroom & laundry tub downstairs. It's not all the time, but it's a

good

enough zap to make you jump.

I would check for voltage between each of your plumbing pipes and the

neutral terminal of an electrical outlet. On a polarized receptacle,

the neutral will be the taller slot.

Notice if your phone rings when there's voltage in the pipe. Telephones

operate on fairly low voltage... except when they ring. The ring signal

to a telephone is a whopping 90 volts AC, which is enough to give you a

pretty good shock.

--

nestork

Our ring voltage was 90v for most of my lifetime but I found out from AT&T that it somewhat recently changed to 45v. I guess the new landline phones have a better ringer than the old rotary dial types.

Robert Green October 28th 13 01:04 AM

Shocked!

"Fred" wrote in :

I got a call in to an electrician, they will be out Wednesday. Now

you're
making me nervous if I should even use the shower tonight or not.

Do you feel lucky?

NO, you should not. It might be the last shower you ever take.

Agreed. Now that we know a little more about the situation, if the supply
pipes are energized and they are not grounded it's very likely the drain
pipe IS grounded and taking a shower will complete the circuit to ground.
Through you.

If you can't get an electrician in on Monday I would consider calling either
the electric and.or the water company. If *your* pipes are energized it
could be very likely that your neighbor's are, too. It could present a
hazard beyond your house and they have the proper test equipment to trace
the fault.

If you want to do something before help arrives, I might *look* (but not
touch) for any clamps with wires that are attached to your water supply
lines. Incoming phone terminals, CATV lines, the circuit box area and the
furnace areas are places you might find a ground wire connection (no longer
code).

--
Bobby G.

Robert Green October 28th 13 01:05 AM

Shocked!

wrote:

On Saturday, October 26, 2013 8:20:19 PM UTC-5, Fred wrote:
How can I be getting shocked off my faucet? This happens only in my

bathroom & laundry tub downstairs. It's not all the time, but it's a good
enough zap to make you jump.

Our OP has not said if he is barefooted, what else he was touching when

he got the shock.

But it does seem to NOT BE a static electricity thing since he states it is

more or less continuous in one of his posts.

He also says it is intermittent. Which points to a high possibility
it is a water heater problem.

I don't see the water heater being a problem because I asked what type he
had and he replied that it was gas. I would expect a current leak to come
from an electric heater, but not a gas heater, but there is electricity
going to modern gas heaters, so it's not out of the question. Just a lot
less likely IMHO.

Now that it seems to be clearly not a static electricity problem, I advise
not touching the plumbing until it's resolved. Who knows why the copper
pipes are energized? There are any number of reasons including events
outside the house that could account for it. It does seem very odd that the
problem appeared first only in the basement and seems to be spreading.

--
Bobby G.

gregz October 28th 13 01:05 AM

Shocked!

"Fred" wrote in :

[...]

Tingling is much better than zapped. Depends on what part of your body is
making the path, and what your wearing. When I was a lot younger, I started
getting tingling in the shower piping standing on cement floor. Turned out
to be bad bypass connection on water meter. Could have been bad for me.
That house was a 1960 model. Wiring code now is much better, but
connections are connections.

Greg

gregz October 28th 13 01:09 AM

Shocked!

bob haller wrote:
[...]

Feel the shock ? !!!

Greg

[email protected] October 28th 13 01:37 AM

Shocked!

Our ring voltage was 90v for most of my lifetime but I found out from AT&T that it somewhat recently changed to 45v. I guess the new landline phones have a better ringer than the old rotary dial types.

The local phone companies have been improving their outside plant facilities, and the result is that there are fewer very long customer lines with high resistance wiring so that not as much voltage is needed to get the same voltage at the customer as before. Also, actual bell type ringers are non-existent any more, and the electronic-based ringers can work on much lower voltages.