Junior Member

Default Website help

This is a bit OT but thought one of you guys might know something about websites and domain names? I'm trying to set up a website for a small business idea but am being bombarded with advice about domain names etc. Some people seem to think it's easy to do by yourself, others are telling me to use something like this Business website needed? Create a small business website with 1&1
Any advice? It's all a bit of a blur. I haven't got any website experience, but need something professional looking tha wont scare potential customers away.
Thanks in advance.
Posted to alt.home.repair

small business website with 1&1' (http://website.1and1.com/)
Any advice? It's all a bit of a blur. I haven't got any website
experience, but need something professional looking tha wont scare
potential customers away.
Thanks in advance.

I have a couple of 1an1 domains, basically duplicates because they were
some sort of 2fer deal, but never paid for professional help. Many,
many years ago I learned enough html to do it myself. As it was early
days of the internet, and I was using dial-up isp, I might get a couple
of calls a week on my consulting service. I lost this, and never
recovered it when isp went down and I went to high speed.

I got the 1and1 sites then to prevent it from happening again but never
got the publication that I had when grandfathered into the fledgling
internet.

Since this is a dyi group, that's what I did and would do. Get a cheap
site and take advantage of getting something up. If you start to make
money, maybe go to a pro.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 25 Oct 2013 13:53:44 +0200, ChloeP
wrote:

This is a bit OT but thought one of you guys might know something about
websites and domain names? I'm trying to set up a website for a small
business idea but am being bombarded with advice about domain names etc.
Some people seem to think it's easy to do by yourself, others are
telling me to use something like this 'Business website needed? Create a
small business website with 1&1' (http://website.1and1.com/)
Any advice? It's all a bit of a blur. I haven't got any website
experience, but need something professional looking tha wont scare
potential customers away.
Thanks in advance.

I would invite you to consider leaving your business idea for another
time when starting a business isn't frowned upon by those in D.C.

However, from the small amount of information you have given us, you
appear to be more than qualified for what Barack and Kathleen are
looking for to fix some of the minor glitches in a web site they have
been tinkering with.

Get in touch with them. This is a guaranteed money maker for you!
Even if you find that the project is too big and you can't handle it
don't worry. Barack has never held anyone accountable for anything.
Hell, if you screw it up bad enough you may even get a promotion.

Good luck.
Posted to alt.home.repair

small business website with 1&1' (http://webs.com/)
Any advice? It's all a bit of a blur. I haven't got any website
experience, but need something professional looking tha wont scare
potential customers away.
Thanks in advance.

I have a couple of 1an1 domains, basically duplicates because they were

He's a spammer, trying to advertise some commercial website.

Last time it was home insurance.

some sort of 2fer deal, but never paid for professional help. Many,
many years ago I learned enough html to do it myself. As it was early
days of the internet, and I was using dial-up isp, I might get a couple
of calls a week on my consulting service. I lost this, and never
recovered it when isp went down and I went to high speed.

I got the 1and1 sites then to prevent it from happening again but never
got the publication that I had when grandfathered into the fledgling
internet.

Since this is a dyi group, that's what I did and would do. Get a cheap
site and take advantage of getting something up. If you start to make
money, maybe go to a pro.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.html

"ChloeP" wrote in message ...

This is a bit OT but thought one of you guys might know something about
websites and domain names? I'm trying to set up a website for a small
business idea but am being bombarded with advice about domain names etc.
Some people seem to think it's easy to do by yourself, others are
telling me to use something like this 'Business website needed? Create a
small business website with 1&1' (http://website.1and1.com/)
Any advice? It's all a bit of a blur. I haven't got any website
experience, but need something professional looking tha wont scare
potential customers away.
Thanks in advance.

ChloeP try alt.html Newsgroup

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 10/25/2013 7:53 AM, ChloeP wrote:
This is a bit OT but thought one of you guys might know something about
websites and domain names? I'm trying to set up a website for a small
business idea but am being bombarded with advice about domain names etc.
Some people seem to think it's easy to do by yourself, others are
telling me to use something like this 'Business website needed? Create a
small business website with 1&1' (http://webs.com/)
Any advice? It's all a bit of a blur. I haven't got any website
experience, but need something professional looking tha wont scare
potential customers away.
Thanks in advance.

I have a couple of 1an1 domains, basically duplicates because they were

He's a spammer, trying to advertise some commercial website.

Last time it was home insurance.

Not sure but I don't like to give advertisement to other web sites.
1and1 has slightly annoyed me in the past even to personally calling me
to try to sell help with my web sites.

Having my own little consulting business, you can spend a ton of money
having people set up stuff for you without making any money. Government
regs can also drive you nuts.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/25/2013 6:53 AM, ChloeP wrote:
This is a bit OT but thought one of you guys might know something about
websites and domain names? I'm trying to set up a website for a small
business idea but am being bombarded with advice about domain names etc.
Some people seem to think it's easy to do by yourself, others are
telling me to use something like this 'Business website needed? Create a
small business website with 1&1' (http://website.1and1.com/)
Any advice? It's all a bit of a blur. I haven't got any website
experience, but need something professional looking tha wont scare
potential customers away.
Thanks in advance.

Okay, the very first thing that you want to do is to purchase your
domain. Just go to www.misk.com (no, I am not associated with them, just
use them) and see if the domain name that you want is available with a
".com" suffix. Do NOT settle for any suffix except "com"! The domain
will only cost you $12.00 per year. Once you get ready to build your
website just go back to www.misk.com and add what is called "essentials"
to your domain for another $25.00 per year. This will give you the
hosting space to upload your site to and make the site live. You can
definitely make you own website with a little effort. Buy a couple of
books on the subject and Google "how to write html code" which should
give you more than the general idea.

Now you will need some software to write the code and create the site so
go to www.kompozer.net and download Kompozer which is a free open source
program which will do the job for you.

The biggest problem with hiring a company to build the site is that they
will build it so YOU are impressed rather than build it so that it will
receive a lot of visits. Just remember that the object is to get people
to the site not to impress you with the looks of the site.

Yes, I own several domains and have built many websites in the past and
am currently building another one. I am DEFINITELY NOT advertising
because I am still trying to retire but if you want to see an example of
what you can do with Kompozer just point your browser to
www.rivervalleyhorsecamp.com . Yes, I am associated with that company
but I did build the site with Kompozer.

One last thing, if you do decide to use a company to get your domain
name and build your site just make sure that the domain is in YOUR name
and NOT theirs!

Don

Posted to alt.home.repair

http://www.fatcow.com This people have nice setup for web and Emails check it out

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/25/2013 2:17 PM, IGot2P wrote:
[...]

1and1 is hosting 2 sites for me at total cost of about $80. They have
some web building tools I don't use and the charge for better tools.
Using for business, I can write it off.

Also use free Kompozer to write/edit and upload with free FileZilla.

Think all the word processor programs like MS Word or free ones like
Open Office will create html documents but you still need to know how to
upload graphics.