Posted to alt.home.repair

Default What do i need to attach 3 tiles

I was removing my old medicine chest in bathroom where the background is white tiled. 3 square tiles fell, not broken. I would like to put them back, but do not know what i can use to do it. I know there is something that is used for this but I only seen it in a 5 gallon can. Any suggestions, please?
Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by novel View Post
I was removing my old medicine chest in bathroom where the background is white tiled. 3 square tiles fell, not broken. I would like to put them back, but do not know what i can use to do it. I know there is something that is used for this but I only seen it in a 5 gallon can. Any suggestions, please?
Is there still tile mastic or thin set on the wall where the tiles fell out? Is there still mastic or thin set on the backs of the tiles that fell out? If there is mastic or thin set on the wall, but hardly any on the tile back, it's because the tiles were set after the mastic or thin set had already skinned over. It would be best to remove the old mastic or thin set from the wall and tile if you can. The will be easier on a plaster wall, but could get a bit dicey if the wall is drywall. It may be hard to remove the thin set or mastic without also removing the drywall surface paper it's stuck to. I'd try using a hair dryer to soften it up if it's mastic.

Otherwise, since the area around your medicine cabinet is a dry area, I would just use ANY adhesive you happen to have. If you have any construction adhesive in a caulking tube, you can just use that. Buy a plastic adhesive spreader at any home center and spread the adhesive on the back of each tile before setting it back in place.

You may want to remove the grout from the edges of the neighboring tiles and regrout around the tiles that fell out. Any place that does ceramic tiling will have some white non-sanded polymer modified grout they can give you for a $2 donation to their coffee fund.

Last edited by nestork : October 24th 13 at 05:02 PM
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 24 Oct 2013 17:56:27 +0200, nestork
wrote:

novel;3138341 Wrote:
[...]

If the hairdryer softens it, does he have to remove and replace it, or
can he treat it like he just spread it on?

Otherwise, since the area around your medicine cabinet is a dry area, I
would just use ANY adhesive you happen to have. If you have any
construction adhesive in a caulking tube, you can just use that. Buy a
plastic adhesive spreader at any home center and spread the adhesive on
the back of each tile before setting it back in place.

You may want to remove the grout from the edges of the neighboring tiles
and regrout around the tiles that fell out. Any place that does ceramic
tiling will have some white non-sanded polymer modified grout they can
give you for a $2 donation to their coffee fund.

Posted to alt.home.repair

nestork wrote in
:

novel;3138341 Wrote:
[...]

Yep...or liquid nails. Couple of bucks.

Buy a
plastic adhesive spreader at any home center and spread the adhesive
on the back of each tile before setting it back in place.

You may want to remove the grout from the edges of the neighboring
tiles and regrout around the tiles that fell out. Any place that does
ceramic tiling will have some white non-sanded polymer modified grout
they can give you for a $2 donation to their coffee fund.

Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by micky View Post
If the hairdryer softens it, does he have to remove and replace it, or
can he treat it like he just spread it on?
No, he'd have to remove the stuff.

Old mastic doesn't liquify when it gets hot, it just gets softer, but not soft enough to melt and "wet" the back of the tile, which is what you need for good adhesion. It gets about as soft as dried up plumber's putty when it's hot.

But, my experience removing old mastic is with using a heat gun. A hair dryer will help, but to remove lots of the stuff you really need a heat gun. Without heat, remove old tile mastic is a lot like fighting with a bear.

Last edited by nestork : October 26th 13 at 04:20 AM