Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Pool owner -- OOPS

"TAMPA (FOX 13) - A Brandon homeowner made a startling discovery this
week: roughly three feet of her in-ground swimming pool was jutting
out of the dirt.

Jessica Pedraza said Tuesday she is now facing an expensive repair,
costing tens of thousands of dollars, and her insurance company won't
cover the cost.

This all happened in a matter of hours. Pedraza and her husband
drained the pool to clean it Sunday.

Read mo (video & pic)
http://www.myfoxtampabay.com/story/2...#ixzz2hFOgis8d
Insurance "exclusions" in her policy...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/9/2013 12:40 PM, Oren wrote:
"TAMPA (FOX 13) - A Brandon homeowner made a startling discovery
this week: roughly three feet of her in-ground swimming pool was
jutting out of the dirt.

Jessica Pedraza said Tuesday she is now facing an expensive repair,
costing tens of thousands of dollars, and her insurance company
won't cover the cost.

This all happened in a matter of hours. Pedraza and her husband
drained the pool to clean it Sunday.

Read mo (video & pic)
http://www.myfoxtampabay.com/story/2...#ixzz2hFOgis8d

Insurance "exclusions" in her policy...

RTFFP, Read The Freaking Fine Print! Trust NO insurance company. ^_^

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

The Daring Dufas wrote:

On 10/9/2013 12:40 PM, Oren wrote:
"TAMPA (FOX 13) - A Brandon homeowner made a startling discovery
this week: roughly three feet of her in-ground swimming pool was
jutting out of the dirt.

Jessica Pedraza said Tuesday she is now facing an expensive repair,
costing tens of thousands of dollars, and her insurance company
won't cover the cost.

This all happened in a matter of hours. Pedraza and her husband
drained the pool to clean it Sunday.

Read mo (video & pic)
http://www.myfoxtampabay.com/story/2...#ixzz2hFOgis8d

Insurance "exclusions" in her policy...

RTFFP, Read The Freaking Fine Print! Trust NO insurance company. ^_^

TDD

How many people actually read the full detail of their insurance
policies as well as addendums? Some pretty interesting stuff in them
actually...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/9/2013 12:40 PM, Oren wrote:
"TAMPA (FOX 13) - A Brandon homeowner made a startling discovery
this week: roughly three feet of her in-ground swimming pool was
jutting out of the dirt.

Jessica Pedraza said Tuesday she is now facing an expensive repair,
costing tens of thousands of dollars, and her insurance company
won't cover the cost.

This all happened in a matter of hours. Pedraza and her husband
drained the pool to clean it Sunday.

Read mo (video & pic)
http://www.myfoxtampabay.com/story/2...#ixzz2hFOgis8d

Insurance "exclusions" in her policy...

RTFFP, Read The Freaking Fine Print! Trust NO insurance company. ^_^

TDD

I wouldn't expect the insurance co. to pay for it unless he has goofball
coverage. There are certain things a pool owner needs to know and that's
one of them.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/09/2013 02:33 PM, gonjah wrote:
[...]

You mean the insurance company won't cover a house fire caused by
building a campfire on the living room floor? What is this world coming to?

Jon

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 09 Oct 2013 13:14:16 -0500, The Daring Dufas
wrote:

On 10/9/2013 12:40 PM, Oren wrote:
"TAMPA (FOX 13) - A Brandon homeowner made a startling discovery
this week: roughly three feet of her in-ground swimming pool was
jutting out of the dirt.

Jessica Pedraza said Tuesday she is now facing an expensive repair,
costing tens of thousands of dollars, and her insurance company
won't cover the cost.

This all happened in a matter of hours. Pedraza and her husband
drained the pool to clean it Sunday.

Read mo (video & pic)
http://www.myfoxtampabay.com/story/2...#ixzz2hFOgis8d

Insurance "exclusions" in her policy...

RTFFP, Read The Freaking Fine Print! Trust NO insurance company. ^_^

TDD

I was just talking to my Insurance agent about what would happen
scenarios and was shocked at what isn't covered. If a car comes
zooming across your lawn and crashes into your house and hits you
while you are eating breakfast and causes you permanent brain damage,
guess what they cover? Nothing. Well, if you are lucky enough that
the house catches fire from the car exploding you might get the fire
damage covered.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, October 9, 2013 10:44:17 PM UTC-7, Ashton Crusher wrote:
On Wed, 09 Oct 2013 13:14:16 -0500, The Daring Dufas

I was just talking to my Insurance agent about what would happen
scenarios and was shocked at what isn't covered. If a car comes
zooming across your lawn and crashes into your house and hits you
while you are eating breakfast and causes you permanent brain damage,
guess what they cover? Nothing. Well, if you are lucky enough that
the house catches fire from the car exploding you might get the fire
damage covered.

Why would you expect homeowners insurance to cover that? The recovery is from the guy causing the damage. Probably a pittance but that's life.

Harry K
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, October 10, 2013 2:25:19 AM UTC-4, Harry K wrote:
On Wednesday, October 9, 2013 10:44:17 PM UTC-7, Ashton Crusher wrote:

On Wed, 09 Oct 2013 13:14:16 -0500, The Daring Dufas

I was just talking to my Insurance agent about what would happen

scenarios and was shocked at what isn't covered. If a car comes

zooming across your lawn and crashes into your house and hits you

while you are eating breakfast and causes you permanent brain damage,

guess what they cover? Nothing. Well, if you are lucky enough that

the house catches fire from the car exploding you might get the fire

damage covered.

Why would you expect homeowners insurance to cover that? The recovery is from the guy causing the damage. Probably a pittance but that's life.

Harry K

I don't see why anyone would expect a homeowners policy to cover
brain injuries from a car crashing into your house either. They
wouldn't cover you if you slipped and fell in the bathtub either.
Or if an intruder whacks you over the head.
The policy is to protect the house, it's contents, from peril.
And to protect the owner from liability if a guest slips and falls,
etc. They usually have medical expense coverage in them for the
guest, but not for the homeowner or regular residents.

But someone else implied that the pool isn't covered because
it's a "goofball" incident, ie the homeowner caused it. Homeowners
policies do cover those type of things. A classic example is
if you leave a pot on the stove, forget about it, and the kitchen
burns up. That's a "goofball", but they cover it.
If insurance policies denied claims just because you did something dumb,
there would be a lot of denied claims. Now if you do something
criminal, that's another story.

Whether a policy covers a pool problem like occurred I would
think could vary from policy to policy. And even if one seems
to cover it, it might not be clear and arguable.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/10/2013 6:34 PM, wrote:
[...]

heh

It's interesting. I doubt you could find a policy that would cover it.
The pot on the stove thing is a mishap where draining the pool is a
deliberate act.

I hope policies DON"T cover it. It would only increase all of our rates.
Too bad my Dad isn't alive to ask. I work with an ex-adjuster. I plan to
ask her tomorrow.

Here is some Texas law to consider:

"In Texas, deliberate acts may constitute an accident unless: (1) the
resulting damage was ‘highly probable’ because it was ‘the natural and
expected result of the insured’s actions’; (2) ‘the insured intended the
injury’; or (3) the insured’s acts constitute an intentional tort, in
which case, the insured is presumed to have intended the injury."

Of course, this is TX.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

That's one reason I like living on a hill. Vehicles can pass by on the
street below but none of them could go out of control and hit the house
unless the vehicle is traveling at 100 mph. ^_^

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Why would you ever think such a thing would be covered? You bought
homeowners insurance not medical insurance. However, if your neighbor
was sitting at your breakfast table, he would likely be covered.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/9/2013 1:40 PM, Oren wrote:
"TAMPA (FOX 13) - A Brandon homeowner made a startling discovery this
week: roughly three feet of her in-ground swimming pool was jutting
out of the dirt.

Jessica Pedraza said Tuesday she is now facing an expensive repair,
costing tens of thousands of dollars, and her insurance company won't
cover the cost.

This all happened in a matter of hours. Pedraza and her husband
drained the pool to clean it Sunday.

Read mo (video & pic)
http://www.myfoxtampabay.com/story/2...#ixzz2hFOgis8d
Insurance "exclusions" in her policy...

Not really surprising. You can make a boat out of concrete. They make
them out of steel, don't they?

Reminds me of stories I heard about hunters building water proof goose
pits to find them floating when water table rose.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, October 9, 2013 11:40:58 AM UTC-7, Frank wrote:
On 10/9/2013 1:40 PM, Oren wrote:

"TAMPA (FOX 13) - A Brandon homeowner made a startling discovery this

week: roughly three feet of her in-ground swimming pool was jutting

out of the dirt.

Jessica Pedraza said Tuesday she is now facing an expensive repair,

costing tens of thousands of dollars, and her insurance company won't

cover the cost.

This all happened in a matter of hours. Pedraza and her husband

drained the pool to clean it Sunday.

Read mo (video & pic)

http://www.myfoxtampabay.com/story/2...#ixzz2hFOgis8d

Insurance "exclusions" in her policy...

Not really surprising. You can make a boat out of concrete. They make

them out of steel, don't they?

Reminds me of stories I heard about hunters building water proof goose

pits to find them floating when water table rose.

What _is_ surprising is that they are "surprised" at what should have been expected if they have a high water table or even high ground moisture.

When I put in a septic tank, I made sure to fill it with water the same day.

Harry K
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 09 Oct 2013 10:40:29 -0700, Oren wrote:

"TAMPA (FOX 13) - A Brandon homeowner made a startling discovery this
week: roughly three feet of her in-ground swimming pool was jutting
out of the dirt.

Jessica Pedraza said Tuesday she is now facing an expensive repair,
costing tens of thousands of dollars, and her insurance company won't
cover the cost.

This all happened in a matter of hours. Pedraza and her husband
drained the pool to clean it Sunday.

Who said cleanliness is next to godliness?

If they had stuck around the house after draining it, couldn't they
have stopped much of this by reflilling when they saw it start to
rise. (I'd say most of it but all the garden hoses they could use,
from the outside, the kitchen sink, the laundry tub, and the
neighbor's might stilt not be enough.

Even now, or when they got home maybe 5 hours later, wouldn't they be
better off if they refilled the pool? As they were doing that, they
could dig out the ground beside it and maybe find big obstacles to
resettling, that had flallen under the pool, and pull them out.

I get the impression the house has not risen much, at least the side
not connected to the pool.

Read mo (video & pic)
http://www.myfoxtampabay.com/story/2...#ixzz2hFOgis8d
Insurance "exclusions" in her policy...

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
On Wed, 09 Oct 2013 10:40:29 -0700, Oren wrote:

"TAMPA (FOX 13) - A Brandon homeowner made a startling discovery this
week: roughly three feet of her in-ground swimming pool was jutting
out of the dirt.

Jessica Pedraza said Tuesday she is now facing an expensive repair,
costing tens of thousands of dollars, and her insurance company won't
cover the cost.

This all happened in a matter of hours. Pedraza and her husband
drained the pool to clean it Sunday.

Read mo (video & pic)
http://www.myfoxtampabay.com/story/2...#ixzz2hFOgis8d
Insurance "exclusions" in her policy...

These are just dumb people and I don't want my insurance subsidizing
stupidity like this.

When they shoot a pool in Florida you need a big pump running to hold
the water back, they have plugs in the main drain basket going to the
rock bed below and when they stop the pump, the pool fills as much as
half full with ground water. Mine had 2 feet of water in the deep end.

Half full, with 2 feet of water in the deep end?

That's not a very deep pool! ;-)

....snip...

There should be a pump out line buried in the ground near the deep end
of the pool that you can use to pump out the drain field under the
pool if you are cleaning it or resurfacing it.

If you pump out the drain field is there any danger of a "ground collapse"?
In other words, does the ground water exert any pressure on the surrounding
earth, holding it back? Just curious...

....snip...